Gun-Zaul Set for Release in 2020

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
MrJBRPG

Gun-Zaul Set for Release in 2020

Post by MrJBRPG »

I have recently discovered a new game in development that is a spiritual tribute to the Thunderforce games, specifically III and IV.

Here is the trailer below and give out your thoughts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fNs7PGIEPY

It seems that the game does show great promise from plenty of artistic polish and sounds. The only thing that bugs me off is that there is yet a 60FPS trailer to really showcase "BLAST PROCESSING".
parallaxscroll2

Re: Gun-Zaul Set for Release in 2020

Post by parallaxscroll2 »

First I've heard of this game. It looks pretty damn good!
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

Could pass for Metal Black clone,
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

This looks pretty dang cool. I can't stand when indie games are made with NES style graphics and/or sound, but change it to Genesis and I'm singing a completely different tune. :lol:
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Those sprites are huge. Also awesome music!
FRO

Post by FRO »

@DietSoap - I like both, but I'm glad to see that indie devs are no longer only stuck on that post-NES "12-bit" look, and are branching out to include more enhanced 16-bit and even 32-bit aesthetics.

@OmegaFlareX - Heck yes! I was really digging the music in the trailer. Looks like it's still probably in alpha stages, as the hit detection looks like it could be not entirely implemented yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing the final product, as good as this already looks.
Special World

Post by Special World »

Looks cool. Obviously the enemy placement and such is still a bit crap, but with two years to get everything polished, seems like it'll be great. I'm not huge on that type of zippy movement, but I'm definitely interested.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
KAI

Post by KAI »

Tsukumo saves shmups once again.

So, what happened to the gunma kai game on steam, failed the greenlit?
schleichfahrt

Post by schleichfahrt »

These guys ought to be careful not to fall into the skycurser-trap.
When you ruin some enemy, add to score points.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

The skycurser comparison is very apt here... disappointing looking :/
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

You guys must be looking at a different game, this looks like a disgrace. I hope for them this is WAY early and missing a ton of stuff, and even then i wonder why you'd show something so incomplete.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

If there are still two years of dev time before the release, then there is always the chance that this is super early footage and that the final game will be much more improved.
That said, if that's the case, why show it so soon? While there are some rather decent visuals (except that boring fire BG, blergh) and good music, the footage looks obviously very much like an alpha/beta version than something that you could have a playable demo of. For example, the ship doesn't even have banking animations yet nor does it seem to have a collision system implemented. The boss-like enemy near the end also does not clearly show what parts/turrets are destroyable and what is just in the background.

And even if we disregard that kind of features/tweaks that will be implemented later, the footage doesn't look too good when it comes to level-design. All the regular enemies fire super slow bullets that stay on screen forever and are easy to dodge and the waves themselves are repetitive with a very low amount of enemy types repeated over and over, though this one could be because there aren't any other actual enemy types implemented in the game yet. Which would bring me to my previous point anyway : it's too early to promote the game.

It's definitely possible that the game's main selling point is the hardware thingy or other extraneous stuff, rather than the actual shooting game. The fact that the only description the video has is "For GIGA DRIVE" and that there are 40 goddamn seconds of weird faces and japanese text I don't understand anyway before I even get to see some footage of the actual game would corroborate that theory.

A good thing I noticed though is that you seem to be able to move the ship to the edges of the screen and even hide parts of it as long as the hitbox is still there, so there are no invisible walls. That's good. And I like the ship design too, which has a little bit of quirkyness to it.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
JohnR1900

Post by JohnR1900 »

Sorry to bump this thread. I am just wondering if this game has a release date. Was looking forward to it and still am.

This and R-Type Final 2 give me hope that 2020/2021 is going to be a fantastic year for shmup fans.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

What is this coming out for, anyway? I hope it comes to the Switch and PS4 as well, I don't want it to be just PC exclusive.
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

Looks like a Tribute to Thunder Force and other shooters. I saw references to Metal Black's "Down to Earth" and the lava stage from Thunder Force VI.
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
MommysBestGames

Post by MommysBestGames »

Yeah, I missed this 2 years ago when the trailer was first shown. It certainly looks great and promising (early level design aside), hoping it's still on track.
Made a giant arcade-adventure: Pig Eat Ball. Also made shmup with multi-ships: Shoot 1UP DX, Gunstacking game: Serious Sam Double D XXL, and more shooters.
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

Found out that the game is postponed for now when I asked about that to the developer. I cannot understand much after that besides "final request movie decided".

https://twitter.com/HUGASTUDIO/status/1 ... 5524399104
JohnR1900

Post by JohnR1900 »

That's a shame. Hopefully it'll still happen in late 2020 or sometime in 2021.
FRO

Post by FRO »

Yeah, the game looks really promising. Too promising to be left unfinished.
kevenz

Post by kevenz »

on that 2018 video, the game looks very clunky.... hopefully it was an alpha version.