Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Square_Air

Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

Post by Square_Air »

Strikers 1945 II is more popular because it's the original. I don't really find much of a quality difference besides the game now being a somewhat squished vertizontal. I would also refer to it as more of an arrange than a sequel.
Hagane wrote:Well most evident thing is that Plus looks terrible.
Strikers 1945 II isn't that great visually either, so not much of value was lost.
ImageImageImage
| 1cc | Twitch |
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

FRO wrote:I play in wobble mode, but then, I suck at the game, so I guess I don't know the difference.
You might suck less at the game if you could see the entire screen at once!
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Okay, so I want to play Gradius V with Weapon Edit (Spread bomb is a MUST), the question is what weapon I should get? Laser or Ripple? I dont want to switch E-Laser because it's hard to manage.

Also is there a proper replay of Weapon Edit clear w/ spread bomb and vertical laser?
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Are ESPGaluda 2's sprites uploaded anywhere? I'd love the stage 3 mid boss. c:
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Knightmare wrote:Why is it that Strikers 1945 II seems better regarded here than Plus? I haven't played Plus yet but I would like to now that it's on Switch.
I don't recommend playing Plus on Switch until it gets patched. It suffers from slowdown not in the original.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Do you really have to beat all the stages of Fury Mode to get the ending in Bangai-O HD: Missile Fury? Because after you fail three times, the game becomes generous and lets you skip to the next stage. Or you won't be able to unlock the extra modes?
Darksun

Post by Darksun »

Does anyone know if Last Resort for Switch can be fully played with autofire turned on? Because turning autofire on makes it impossible to charge your drone, which is pretty important... is there a way to map it to a different button or something?
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Lucky & Wild for the arcade. How the hell do you beat the boss of Stage 5? He always gets away no matter what I do.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

About Soukyugurentai, the extra boss you fight after defeating the Stage 6 boss, is it only exclusive in the PlayStation version?
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

xxx1993 wrote:About Soukyugurentai, the extra boss you fight after defeating the Stage 6 boss, is it only exclusive in the PlayStation version?
Yes.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I kinda wish the boss was also in the Saturn version. Would have liked to see how that was done.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

There are no bosses in both Galaga Legions and Galaga Legions DX, right?
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

What's with that flying UFO thing in Pink Sweets? All I know is that you encounter it as a mini boss in every stage, whenever you destroy its current form, it flies off but not before unleashing some bullets or knives at you, and you destroy it for good in the 7th stage just before the final battle with Big Burn.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Darksun wrote:Does anyone know if Last Resort for Switch can be fully played with autofire turned on? Because turning autofire on makes it impossible to charge your drone, which is pretty important... is there a way to map it to a different button or something?
The ports I have (Blazing Star for Switch and Last Resort for PS4) both do, so it'd be pretty odd if not.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Does the ending of Ginga Force only vary as to what difficulty you're playing the game on? The narration is different in each ending. On a translation board I saw, I think it goes like this: On Easy Mode, the ending is narrated by Margaret. On Normal, it's narrated by Alex. And on Hard, it's narrated by Nina. Are those the only changes?
pestro87

Post by pestro87 »

xxx1993 wrote:Does the ending of Ginga Force only vary as to what difficulty you're playing the game on? The narration is different in each ending. On a translation board I saw, I think it goes like this: On Easy Mode, the ending is narrated by Margaret. On Normal, it's narrated by Alex. And on Hard, it's narrated by Nina. Are those the only changes?
Pretty much, other than being told from different perspectives it's more or less the same thing. See viewtopic.php?p=892661#p892661
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I see. Then I pretty much have no reason to replay the game on Hard mode because it's even more difficult to play on that setting.
pestro87

Post by pestro87 »

Unless you want to unlock score attack on Hard which imo is the best part about the game :)
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Eh, I'm not too crazy about score attack mode. Story Mode is all there is for me.
ReSe2k

Post by ReSe2k »

1) Can the steam version of Raiden V be played in 480p in Tate?

2) Strikers 1999: Is there a general consensus on what ships to use and which to avoid? I've tried them all out and they all seemed solid, but the early stages are pretty easy so it's hard to tell which ones are good for the rest of the game.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

ReSe2k wrote:2) Strikers 1999: Is there a general consensus on what ships to use and which to avoid? I've tried them all out and they all seemed solid, but the early stages are pretty easy so it's hard to tell which ones are good for the rest of the game.
Only use X-36, it's easily the best ship. It's a secret ship that needs a code entered, then you can access it from the randomizer. You can search for that here and find the trick.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
DEL

Post by DEL »

Dunno if there's a thread on this...? But I stumbled across a 990Euro 1 stick version of this in the local supermarket today:
https://www.neo-legend.com/en/46-univers-compact
660 games.
I understand that they've been around in Paris since 2007. Snazzy but BIG CA$H. :shock:
Looks like the 2 stick 19" screen version is hammering out at 2,400Euros.

Answers on a postcard please.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Question about Override for PC Engine. There are two buttons, but I can't seem to figure out what the non-shooting button does? Anyone know the answer?
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

professor ganson wrote:Question about Override for PC Engine. There are two buttons, but I can't seem to figure out what the non-shooting button does? Anyone know the answer?
iirc it's just speed selection
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

Kollision wrote:
professor ganson wrote:Question about Override for PC Engine. There are two buttons, but I can't seem to figure out what the non-shooting button does? Anyone know the answer?
iirc it's just speed selection

That's correct, if you look at the top left hand of the screen you will see red triangles, 1-3 will appear depending on speed.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Thanks much, guys. That's very helpful.
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

No worries, great game but the last boss is a bitch,never beat it yet :x
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Darius Gaiden:

Do successive shield pickups stack and give you more hits on the thing before it's gone?
Or is there a hard maximum hitpoints per colour.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Blinge wrote:Darius Gaiden:

Do successive shield pickups stack and give you more hits on the thing before it's gone?
Or is there a hard maximum hitpoints per colour.
IIRC Randorama's thread in the Strategy subforum is accurate about this (I say that because it's inaccurate about rank), so I'll quote it below:
Randorama wrote:SHIELD LEVELS

Note: i list colour, number of maximum you can take at full power,the increase on shield's strength with every power-up you take.If you lose your shield, you will get back the maximum level at the next power-up.

LEVEL 1=Normal (green, max 3 hits,+1 per power-up).
LEVEL 2=Super (silver, max 4 hits, +2 per power-up).
LEVEL 3=Hyper (gold, max 5 hits,+3 per power-up).
So this means that successive shield pickups do not stack if you haven't taken any damage on your shield. If you have taken damage, a shield pickup will restore some durability depending on what level of shield you have. Notably, since shield starts at maximum durability if you had no shield previously, if you only have one hit left on your shield it's actually better to lose it before picking up a shield powerup (though of course due to the lack of invulnerability time it's risky trying to get hit). Also, you don't want to skip any shields until you're at gold level because they're needed to get that upgrade.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Notably, since shield starts at maximum durability if you had no shield previously, if you only have one hit left on your shield it's actually better to lose it before picking up a shield powerup
Goddamn!

Also why skip shields at all ?
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart