ACA NeoGeo Releases PS4/XB1/Switch

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Shelcoof

ACA NeoGeo Releases PS4/XB1/Switch

Post by Shelcoof »

Just picked up myself an XBox One and went browsing on the store to find ton of NeoGeo ports to the console. Further searching I realized they also offer NeoGeo ports for the PS4 as well.

Aside from that I couldn't find much more info on these NeoGeo ports. Did stumble onto a few game specific threads but wanted to find out more about the other releases.

I'm looking to find out whether these ports are any good or close to accurate to the original hardware. Wondering how bad the lag is and what display options are available. Are these ports better than emulation done on a PC? Are PS4 and XB1 ports performing the same?

From my understanding for example ACA NeoGeo of Garou on the XB1 is the XBox 360 version which was a really good port where as the PS4 version by ACA NeoGeo apparently has terrible lag and not very accurate to the original.

Samurai Shodown II on the XB1 is also the XBox 360 port as well.

I also noticed XB1 has more NeoGeo releases than the PS4.

I'm looking to pick up a ton of titles... why? Because I want to throw money at games I loved playing when I was a kid. That and I want to play them on Console vs PC but if they were ported badly.... I'll just stick with other ports and emulation on PC.
ryu

Re: ACA NeoGeo Releases PS4/XB1/Switch

Post by ryu »

It's not a huge sample for forming a conclusion, but I haven't had any problems with Pulstar and Blazing Star on the Switch
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Garou seemed fine to me on Switch, but I'm no expert on input lag. Vs. SMB had input lag when it first came out, but it was fixed. I heard a couple Arcade Arcades games were fixed that initially had input lag, so Garou may be one of those. However, I wonder if some AA games on PS4 weren't updated in the west since some like Rygar and Renegade are behind the switch release in emulation (Rygar has no scanline options on PS4, but has them on switch. Only the US version is on US PS4, but JP and US versions are on Switch. Renegade is limited to a small screen on PS4, but not on Switch. Switch also has both Renegade and Kunio version, though JP PS4 version was purposely split since Renegade is available in Japan via a special promotion where you have to buy some Technos games).

I'm not sure if XB1 has more NeoGeo releases than the PS4. For some reason, Sony is slow on releasing the Arcade Archives games in the west. A lot of the switch AA games are also on PS4, but Switch games release internationally while the PS4 releases take a long time to come to the west.

I definitely recommend avoiding ACA NeoGeo Strikers 1945 for now. It runs poorly and still hasn't been fixed yet.

edit: I don't know about the JP ACA NeoGeo Garou on PS4, but the Garou available on the US shop on PS4 is not the ACA Neogeo version. It was done by Code Mystics. It has online, unlike the other version, but one post on gamefaqs claimed that it has issues with lag (not sure if it's online lag or input lag).
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

XO owner here as well. I had read in a couple spots on the Web that the PS4 releases tend to be better, with emu optimization being keyed on the PS4 as lead platform (especially considering the situation in Japan). Specifically, some people were bitching that the XO releases noticeably chop up more.

I haven't been able to validate this, though. Such is the state of things today that we're certainly not getting in-depth cross comparisons of Neo Geo releases by any visible, reputable sources. And at $8ish a pop it wasn't worth it to me to try one for myself.

If you browse user reviews on Xbox.com, you will again with certain games find bitching that the ports have "too many slowdowns"; unfortunately it's again hard to tell whether this relates to emulation or just ignorant buyers who don't know that yes, even some Neo Geo games had slowdown.. sometimes really BAD slowdown.

Honestly, I'd hang around the corner and wait to grab some during the Black Friday sale. If anything hits $3.99 or so maybe it's worth the chance. Personally, as companies industry-wide continue to pursue asinine release policies and pricing for almost all retro downloads, I tend to stick with emulation. :(
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

bigbadboaz wrote:XO owner here as well. I had read in a couple spots on the Web that the PS4 releases tend to be better, with emu optimization being keyed on the PS4 as lead platform (especially considering the situation in Japan). Specifically, some people were bitching that the XO releases noticeably chop up more.
I haven't tried the XO releases, but the Switch versions run comparably to the PS4 versions. The only one I noticed excessive slowdown in is Strikers 1945 Plus and I heard it runs that way on PS4 and Xbox One, as well.
Austin

Post by Austin »

I own most of the ACA Neo-Geo releases on Xbox One outside of the arcade-sports and fighting releases (so, a good chunk). Asides from Strikers, I can confirm that the emulation is quite solid. I personally can't tell a difference from playing these games on my MVS or Neo-CD. Slowdown exists where slowdown did in the originals (so in the case of Metal Slug 2, it's everywhere in the Xbone version). I have several dupes on the Switch, and they seem pretty much the same. Input response times are great regardless if I'm using the wireless Xbone controller, or the wired Hori RAP V stick.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I couldn't put by finger on whether or not the Pro controller was lagging behind other controllers in terms of response, but after the controller update, response has been very nice and well suited to AA. I heard about some issues with oversensitive diagonals, but that's not the case with the one I have. I tested with the SNES Mr. Do and Ms. Pac-Man via the 8bitdo dongle and didn't have to force myself to press up or down by itself like I did with the 8bitdo SN30 and SF30 controllers. I heard some SF30 pros (old model) also had the same issue, but I actually had the opposite issue where the controller was initially too stiff. I have a nice response with both the hori portable only d-pad and the RAP, as well.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Austin wrote:I own most of the ACA Neo-Geo releases on Xbox One outside of the arcade-sports and fighting releases (so, a good chunk). Asides from Strikers, I can confirm that the emulation is quite solid.
Well this is good to hear. Your comments on MS2 are exactly what I was talking about re: user reviews - everybody blaming the port for slowdown which was quite notoriously known in the original game.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Hey Guys

Really appreciate all the feedback :). I've been on the fence with purchases but I'm thinking maybe I'll pick up one or two games and see how they are before diving right in and grabbing a ton more titles. They aren't cheap either at 11$ a pop here in Canada. For that price they better be good lol.

BrianC wrote: I'm not sure if XB1 has more NeoGeo releases than the PS4. For some reason, Sony is slow on releasing the Arcade Archives games in the west. A lot of the switch AA games are also on PS4, but Switch games release internationally while the PS4 releases take a long time to come to the west.

edit: I don't know about the JP ACA NeoGeo Garou on PS4, but the Garou available on the US shop on PS4 is not the ACA Neogeo version. It was done by Code Mystics. It has online, unlike the other version, but one post on gamefaqs claimed that it has issues with lag (not sure if it's online lag or input lag).
I did a comparison between the XBox Market Place Store and PSN and there are way more games released on there. Also an updating on my finding is that when you use the Android app you'll easily be able to find the previous Xbox 360 versions of Garou and Samurai Shodown II without them being under the ACA NeoGeo header. Found that strange for some reason.

Yes the Code Mystic Garou port was terrible from what I've been hearing on youtube and forums. But it's listed with the ACA NeoGeo header on PSN. Almost all NeoGeo ports except for Fatal Fury Battle Archive 2 is listed under the ACA NeoGeo header. But yha the Code Mystic ports from what I hear are terrible. I think they also did Last Blade 2 and maybe Wind Jammers?

Austin wrote:I own most of the ACA Neo-Geo releases on Xbox One outside of the arcade-sports and fighting releases (so, a good chunk). Asides from Strikers, I can confirm that the emulation is quite solid. I personally can't tell a difference from playing these games on my MVS or Neo-CD. Slowdown exists where slowdown did in the originals (so in the case of Metal Slug 2, it's everywhere in the Xbone version). I have several dupes on the Switch, and they seem pretty much the same. Input response times are great regardless if I'm using the wireless Xbone controller, or the wired Hori RAP V stick.
I'm no expert on input lag or knowing how accurate slowdowns are but I can point them out when I can with certain games. Garou for sure seeing how I own the PS2, DC and Xbox 360 versions and before that played a ton of it on Final Burn.

When people said the DC version of Garou was way off they weren't kidding lol. Slowdown and timing of the game was way off. Speed was super fast... that was the one game that made me realize why people complain about port accuracy. Playable sure but nothing like the original.

bigbadboaz wrote: Honestly, I'd hang around the corner and wait to grab some during the Black Friday sale. If anything hits $3.99 or so maybe it's worth the chance. Personally, as companies industry-wide continue to pursue asinine release policies and pricing for almost all retro downloads, I tend to stick with emulation. :(
Yhaa buying them cheaper would be awesome seeing how there are quit a few titles I really want. Samurai Shodown II, Fatal Fury 3, Real Bout Special, Real Bout 2... holy crap plenty more lol.

I think I fall in with the rest of the guys who just want to play their favorite NeoGeo games on console. It at least gives me the genuine feel of actually legitly owning the game. Of course the port has to at least be done right and perform on par or better than the original.
Marc

Post by Marc »

BrianC wrote: Renegade is limited to a small screen on PS4, but not on Switch. Switch also has both Renegade and Kunio version, though JP PS4 version was purposely split since Renegade is available in Japan via a special promotion where you have to buy some Technos games).
Oh that's good to hear. I've been eying up Kunio on the JP PS store for a bit now, but if it comes with Switch Renegade, I'll double dip there and get portable Renegade into the bargain.

I know the Code Mystic ports are supposed to be crappy, but I must admit I can't find any fault with Windjammers. Long while since I played it on original hardware mind, but it plays well enough o me, and offers some decent screen options. Shame it's double the price of the other ACA titles though. I did have one of their X360 ports and that was horrid - laggy (and I'm not sensitive to it) and no screen options to speak of, Windjammers seems much better.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Marc wrote:I did have one of their X360 ports and that was horrid - laggy (and I'm not sensitive to it) and no screen options to speak of, Windjammers seems much better.
I'm only aware of two Xbox 360 NeoGeo ports. Garou and Samurai Shodown II.

Which game was it that you played on the X360? It's not Samurai Shodown II is it? lol I'm planning on buying that very soon :shock:

But from what I've read that port is close to arcade perfect.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Windjammers is a dot emu release, seperate from thr ACA/AA titles, if I'm not mistaken. (This and Wonder Boy give me some hope Streets of Rage 4 won't be crud).

It is ace, though I haven't tried online. I think I picked it up for like a $1.50 in a sale.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Leviathan wrote:Windjammers is a dot emu release, seperate from thr ACA/AA titles, if I'm not mistaken. (This and Wonder Boy give me some hope Streets of Rage 4 won't be crud).

It is ace, though I haven't tried online. I think I picked it up for like a $1.50 in a sale.
Dot Emu is doing Streets of Rate 4? Oh damn I own 4 copies of Wonderboy Dragon's Trap lol.
They really went above and beyond with the remake of Wonderboy. Their effort is nothing but a work of art.

Now you got me excited!
Ex_Mosquito

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

Does anyone know if the highscore tables on the ACA ports are universal across all platforms or are they platform specific?
My Arcade 1-Credit Replays
http://www.youtube.com/user/exmosquito
Marc

Post by Marc »

Platform specific at least in the titles I own.
Lord British

Post by Lord British »

What do you think the chances are of Twinkle Star Sprites being released as a part of ACA?

All I have is the mess of the version unlocked by the PS2 game.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Shelcoof wrote:I did a comparison between the XBox Market Place Store and PSN and there are way more games released on there.
Unfortunately the PSN store makes it overly difficult to find stuff outside what they want you to see. Searching "ACA NeoGeo" or whatever will only give a certain number of results and just drop the rest. It's better to use an external source to find out what's available and then search for the game name.

Also as noted before, any recent Hamster releases are Japan-only, so not only do you need to use an appropriate region account but you'll need to know how to spell the game in katakana (or hope it's still in new additions). Not a huge deal for us crazy people, but otherwise you won't find them.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Shelcoof wrote: Yes the Code Mystic Garou port was terrible from what I've been hearing on youtube and forums. But it's listed with the ACA NeoGeo header on PSN. Almost all NeoGeo ports except for Fatal Fury Battle Archive 2 is listed under the ACA NeoGeo header. But yha the Code Mystic ports from what I hear are terrible. I think they also did Last Blade 2 and maybe Wind Jammers?
I can't find Mark of the Wolves with the ACA NeoGeo header on the US store, only the Code Mystics version. AFAIK, the ACA NeoGeo one is only on the JP store.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

BrianC wrote:
Shelcoof wrote: Yes the Code Mystic Garou port was terrible from what I've been hearing on youtube and forums. But it's listed with the ACA NeoGeo header on PSN. Almost all NeoGeo ports except for Fatal Fury Battle Archive 2 is listed under the ACA NeoGeo header. But yha the Code Mystic ports from what I hear are terrible. I think they also did Last Blade 2 and maybe Wind Jammers?
I can't find Mark of the Wolves with the ACA NeoGeo header on the US store, only the Code Mystics version. AFAIK, the ACA NeoGeo one is only on the JP store.

Weird I could have sworn searching for it and having the ACA NeoGeo version popping up only.
I'll take a look at it later seeing how I got to go to work right now

Edit: maybe I was confusing it with the Xbox marketplace.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Lord British wrote:What do you think the chances are of Twinkle Star Sprites being released as a part of ACA?
I'm pretty sure it was..
Lord British

Post by Lord British »

bigbadboaz wrote:
Lord British wrote:What do you think the chances are of Twinkle Star Sprites being released as a part of ACA?
I'm pretty sure it was..
Not on any of the consoles yet (Steam maybe?).

I'm looking forward to getting Cyber Lip too, which so far is just on the Switch.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Lord British wrote:
bigbadboaz wrote:
I'm looking forward to getting Cyber Lip too, which so far is just on the Switch.
It appears to be only available on the Japanese PSN store (https://psprices.com/region-jp/game/246 ... ibaritsupu).
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

bigbadboaz wrote:
I'm pretty sure it was..
I believe that was ADK Damashii, a collection of games that was originally on a PS2 disc.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Mind appears to be messing with me..
Marc

Post by Marc »

Jeneki wrote:
bigbadboaz wrote:
I'm pretty sure it was..
I believe that was ADK Damashii, a collection of games that was originally on a PS2 disc.
It's pretty terrible as well, don't know if the original PS2 version was so shoddy or if it's just the emulation of the PS4 version.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Marc wrote:
Jeneki wrote:
It's pretty terrible as well, don't know if the original PS2 version was so shoddy or if it's just the emulation of the PS4 version.
I have Fatal Fury Battle Archives for the PS4 and I can't tell the difference between that and the original PS2 version.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Marc wrote: It's pretty terrible as well, don't know if the original PS2 version was so shoddy or if it's just the emulation of the PS4 version.
ADK Damashii didn't seem terrible to me, playability wise, though the resolution is upscaled with no filtering options for the PS2 game (the game itself has filtering options for the emulated games). I didn't notice any input lag.
CRP

Post by CRP »

Bomb Jack - Arcade Archives is out on Switch now :D
No_not_like_Quake

Post by No_not_like_Quake »

Is Sengoku 3 worth buying? I don't have access to MAME right now, so can't test it out myself. In the mood for a good brawler.

Any other non crap brawler recommendations in these releases? I know a lot of Neo Geo brawlers are not highly regarded.
stryc9

Post by stryc9 »

Yeah Sengoku 3 is good. There's an emphasis on long combos/juggles rather than masses of aggressive enemies on screen, so if that sounds like your bag then you should find some enjoyment.

It's the most solid Neo brawler play-wise by a long shot IMO, but I still like a few of the others mostly for aesthetic reasons. I picked up Sengoku 2 because the art/sound design is badass, Sengoku 3 is pretty generic thematically in comparison.
Facebook is for handbag users.
XBox Live Name: Katbizkitz