Awesome stuff you've just bought (+pics please)

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
FinalBaton

Re: Awesome stuff you've just bought (+pics please)

Post by FinalBaton »

Shelcoof wrote:https://i.imgur.com/Ka3g2bT.jpg

I forgot how to re-size the image so I just included the link

Saw this while shopping
Had to pick it up

Currently sonic is holding my vita :D

I've always loved Sonic since playing the original on the Genny when I was a kid.

That's a really cool holder/display. :) The model is super well done too, great rendition of the cute japanese art for early Sonic games
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

I just bought a replacement laser assembly for playstation console. It might seems like an uninteresting buy on the surface but I'm actually stoked about it

I had kinda forgot that I have a chipped playstation here(it's my childhood machine actually, hehe), which's laser is shot but with that new $15 replacement I'll be able to enjoy hundreds of games on original hardware. That is a lot of damn fun for $15, I'm actually pretty damn excited now, lol.

I plan on burning mainly 2D games initially, as that's what I prefer, but some colorful 2.5D platformers should make the cut too. Stuff I'm the most stoked to play :

Bubble Bobble Featuring Rainbow Islands
Gradius Deluxe Pack
Salamander Deluxe Pack Plus
Umihara Kawase Shun
Rayman
R-Types
Metal Slug X
Cotton Original
Strider 1 & 2
Klonoa
Tomba

Are there any arcade ports in this list that are not worth it/disapointing? Also if you have suggestions of beautiful 2D action games on PS, aside from fighters and shmups(I think I'll be set for shmups with what's in my list, but you never know, I might try a few), let me know.

I already have legit copies of Castlevania SOTN, Mega Man X4, Capcom Generations 2 on PS as well as Metal Slug and Darius Gaiden on other platforms(Saturn)
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

^ The Adventure of Little Ralph is a must.
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

Second that for Little Ralph.

Panzer Bandit
Ore No Ryouri
Harmful Park, I know you said no shooters ( you have to get this just for the wedding scene alone :D )
BIL

Post by BIL »

^ Thirded. New Corp knew their hardcore action/platforming.

Gradius Gaiden is beyond essential to go with the Deluxe Packs, I had to triple-check to make sure it wasn't there. :cool: R-Type Delta the same for R-Types. It's polygonal but ho ho hoooly fuck does it know how to work it. Immense atmosphere with coinop pacing and intensity. Might as well chuck in Einhander too, solid and super charismatic hori from ex-Konami staff.

Silent Bomber will forever remain a ruinously gratifying polygonal take on classic topdown destructioning.

Spoiler

Omega Boost is a harder sell with its combination of blunt score attack simplicity and tricky interface curve, but it's one I recommend grappling with.

The Namco Museums (Vols 1-5 + Encore) and Capcom Generations (Vols 1-4... and I guess 5, but I can't abide by SFII with loadtimes) are generally excellent for straight-ish arcade ports with a focus on the early/mid-80s (and a bit of the late 70s/early 90s). Some of NM's ports vary significantly from the AC games (ie Pac-Man) but they're very likable. Assault highly recommended for super-idiosyncratic topdown seek/destroy tank action.

What a great console. Give the port of Taito's RC Pro Am-esque RC De Go! a look too. Also I always recommend Rage Racer for a startling example of ageless intensity and impeccably dark yet cool art/sound design. Listen to the wind roar whenever the wall is about to tear that guy's lap time a new one!
FinalBaton wrote:Cotton Original
Kind of a letdown, this port. Default difficulty is nerfed way down, Hard is a new suicide bullet mode that's not necessarily bad, but doesn't reflect the AC game. Not worthless but the PCE one's a more substantial production.

Good pick with Klonoa, always a good time that one. The small-scale polygonal environments have aged beautifully, they have a papier mache solidity and presence I find absolutely charming in conjunction with the on-rails camera. Never particularly tough, but mechanically sound and cleverly designed, plus it has a cool post-game assault course. And the ending is some FOTNS-calibre stuff.Image
llaoyllakcuf

Post by llaoyllakcuf »

Little Ralph trivia: the game was originally made for the Sharp X68000, which explains why there is an option to change the OST to a PSG "chiptune" version. Total development time was eight years before it finally got released on the PlayStation, so the quality level is what one would expect.

I don't care much for the versus fighting sequences, but aside from that it's easily one of the best games on the system.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Rampage World Tour
Toaplan Shooting Battle (you get arrange soundtracks that are very cool)
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

At first I was like, y'all really saying this poor guy has to blow $500 or w/e, then I saw he mentioned burns. Yeah, burn Little Ralph for sure, it's great. XD
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Thanks everyone for the reccos!
iconoclast wrote:^ The Adventure of Little Ralph is a must.
Oh! I heard about that one, but wasn't sure if it was really that good, since I've never played it. But it's nice to get confirmation from people on here that it's worth playing, now I'll def burn that one. Thanks!
Last edited by FinalBaton on Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Steamflogger Boss

So this was a list I threw together awhile back on another forum as a personal dream list (that I know would be impossible) for PS Mini. There's a lot of weird here, but all titles worth checking out imo.

Symphony of the Night
Alundra
Harmful Park
The Adventure of Little Ralph
Panzer Bandit
Cotton Original
Ore no Ryouri
Zanac X Zanac
Puzzle Bobble 4
Suzuki Bakuhatsu
G-Darius
Money Idol Exchanger
Lunar
Lunar 2
Gussun Oyoyo
Gunners Heaven
Internal Section
Rakugaki Showtime
Speed Power Gunbike
Umihara Kawase Shun

Honorable Mentions
Kyuiin
Gradius Gaiden
Dodonpachi
Time Bokan shmups
Gaia Seed
Darius Gaiden

Also one that wouldn't really work with emulation is Elemental Gearbolt. I know you have CRTs, so definitely give that one a spin too. :D
Steamflogger Boss

Old games and older movies.

Digging into the Dreamcast shmups again. And yes I have the Gigawings, those never left, heh.

Criterion was running a flash sale at their webstore and everything was 50% list. I am now caught up on their BD releases of Japanese movies I really wanted to own. There are like 2-3 that I would try if I got them on an Amazon Warehouse deal for like $13 or something but otherwise not even at sale prices. Of course they will inevitably get more that I want out on BD but it's nice to be caught up. Gonna watch Ikiru later tonight.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

I'm a fan of Arkanoid, and have been playing the Famicom version with the Vaus controller. But Arkanoid II is a far superior game to the first one.

The SNES mouse is my second one, which I'm going to hack to attach a proper spinner for Arkanoid: Doh it Again! (snes exclusive that you can use the Mario Paint mouse on). Still working out the technicalities of hooking up the optic board of the arcade spinner to the data lines of the mouse's optic circuitry.

Also I've been getting into the NES's 4-Score supported games lately, and was able to get Super Off Road, Gauntlet II, and Smash TV for cheap. Smash TV with 4 controllers, 2x per player for dual-stick shooting is actually pretty decent to play with. Super Off Road supports 4 players, as oppose to the nicer looking SNES version that only supports 3.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

opt2not wrote:Image
Also I've been getting into the NES's 4-Score supported games lately, and was able to get Super Off Road, Gauntlet II, and Smash TV for cheap. Smash TV with 4 controllers, 2x per player for dual-stick shooting is actually pretty decent to play with. Super Off Road supports 4 players, as oppose to the nicer looking SNES version that only supports 3.
I found out the FC 3-4 player games work differently. 3 player games just need a controller that plugs into the expansion slot, and 4p games need an adapter that allows for two controlers plugged into the expansion slot or one of those controllers that has an expansion slot on it. Speaking of that, the Araknoid 2 Vaus has an expansion port on it to allow a second Vaus.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

BrianC wrote: I found out the FC 3-4 player games work differently. 3 player games just need a controller that plugs into the expansion slot, and 4p games need an adapter that allows for two controlers plugged into the expansion slot or one of those controllers that has an expansion slot on it. Speaking of that, the Araknoid 2 Vaus has an expansion port on it to allow a second Vaus.
Yeah I guess I’m kinda cheating since I’m using my AVS primarily now. I play the NES 4P games with it, through the built-in 4-score, and it also has an FC expansion port on the back that works with the FC accessories.
Ever since losing my home office/games room to our newborn daughter 18 months ago, I’ve had to keep most of my original gear and CRT’s in storage till we move to a bigger place.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

opt2not wrote:
BrianC wrote: I found out the FC 3-4 player games work differently. 3 player games just need a controller that plugs into the expansion slot, and 4p games need an adapter that allows for two controlers plugged into the expansion slot or one of those controllers that has an expansion slot on it. Speaking of that, the Araknoid 2 Vaus has an expansion port on it to allow a second Vaus.
Yeah I guess I’m kinda cheating since I’m using my AVS primarily now. I play the NES 4P games with it, through the built-in 4-score, and it also has an FC expansion port on the back that works with the FC accessories.
Ever since losing my home office/games room to our newborn daughter 18 months ago, I’ve had to keep most of my original gear and CRT’s in storage till we move to a bigger place.
I have the AVS too and I like it quite a bit. Another nice feature is that it lets you use the US Vaus with the JP Arkanoid, something that isn't possible normally due to the controllers being wired differently (it's not as simple as making an adapter like with the light gun, though I have a JP gun rather than an adapter).
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

ZZAP 64 : 2019 Annual

I couldn't resist :D

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/47 ... xt-chapter
More Bromances = safer people
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

No pics unfortunately but I've bought Ronin on blu ray (Arrow Video) and the Legend of The Mountain release on blu ray. Legend of The Mountain looks fantastic, but I need to sit my ass down and actually watch all of it, but the 2 times I've tried to, I've been interrupted to the point of not having time to finish watching.
system11

Post by system11 »

Yes, really. Rebuilt 383 & transmission, recently repainted, new interior, cooling upgrades, new convertible hood.

System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

FinalBaton wrote:I just bought a replacement laser assembly for playstation console. It might seems like an uninteresting buy on the surface but I'm actually stoked about it

I had kinda forgot that I have a chipped playstation here(it's my childhood machine actually, hehe), which's laser is shot but with that new $15 replacement I'll be able to enjoy hundreds of games on original hardware. That is a lot of damn fun for $15, I'm actually pretty damn excited now, lol.

I plan on burning mainly 2D games initially, as that's what I prefer, but some colorful 2.5D platformers should make the cut too. Stuff I'm the most stoked to play :
To add to what's already been posted:

Mezase SenkyuuOu (aka Battle Balls)
LandMaker (aka Builder's Block)
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

system11 wrote:Yes, really. Rebuilt 383 & transmission, recently repainted, new interior, cooling upgrades, new convertible hood.

Nice!.. parts must have been a nightmare to import though?
system11

Post by system11 »

Well the whole car as you see it was just imported but yeah, parts supply in the UK isn't great for American cars.
zak

Post by zak »

system11 wrote:Yes, really. Rebuilt 383 & transmission, recently repainted, new interior, cooling upgrades, new convertible hood.

system11 wins the internet today 8)
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

system11 wrote:Well the whole car as you see it was just imported but yeah, parts supply in the UK isn't great for American cars.

Aah I see , looks the bomb though :)
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Kiken wrote:To add to what's already been posted:

Mezase SenkyuuOu (aka Battle Balls)
LandMaker (aka Builder's Block)
Thanks Kiken!

@System11 Holy shit, nice ride bud :)
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

DOPE WHEELS! :shock:
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Ex_Mosquito

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

Oof nice car! Damn, if only the UK had drive through theatres :/ If I were you I’d have the opening theme to Happy Days on max volume on loop whilst driving.
My Arcade 1-Credit Replays
http://www.youtube.com/user/exmosquito
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

If my ex could see this, she'd be swooning.
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
system11

Post by system11 »

Thanks, I always wanted a big American convertible with a bench seat and a column shift, now I have one. I've been selling a lot of my game collection because frankly I'm getting to the age where I want to enjoy stuff now while I still can. Call it a mid-life crisis. I'm going to cruise around in this big bad looking bitch, and I'm going to flip the bird at the first Audi that tailgates it, arm straight up in the air, in winter. It's something you have to be careful with on UK roads though because these big 60s/70s full size cruisers are big even by US standards, and giants in Europe.

I also bought this. Various stars aligned due to a combination of bad and good luck making it stupid not to trade in my old daily car a year earlier than planned. It's easily the nicest thing I've ever sat in or driven and due to the magic of Jaguar depreciation, at 4 years old this cost the same as a new 'decent' level family car despite being a top of the range luxury saloon with their frankly amazing supercharged V8 setup. Nobody does dual personality cars like Jaguar.

Sumez

Post by Sumez »

One day maybe I'll be able to afford a car :P
system11

Post by system11 »

The Fury is back in the paint shop because they didn't do a very good job on the front passenger corner, huge paint run somehow nobody noticed. Can't wait to be able to take a photo of them together, the XJR is a large car but it won't look it when they're parked in one place. The Fury is actually going to spend its life in a climate controlled car storage facility because leaving them out in the English climate under a waterproof cover just ends badly. I had to sign a NDA just to look inside the facility before renting a bay, I'm not allowed to say where it is or what else was in there - suffice to say I can see why they have that level of security. Got a good price because up front I was able to commit to taking the bay for at least a year. It's only a short drive from my home so relatively convenient for taking the car out. We have a garage but 1) it's full of PCBs and arcade machines and 2) even if it was empty the car wouldn't fit through the door, and even if it did it's too long to close the door.