Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram for the Xbox Live Arcade

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Strider77

Re: Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram for the Xbox Live Arcade

Post by Strider77 »

Does it give you multiple options for the control layouts?
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
ryu

Post by ryu »

Strider77 wrote:Does it give you multiple options for the control layouts?
You can map each button individually.
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Someone said on the interwebs that extra arenas were DLC. But as most random things said on the interwebs... I have to ask is that true?
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Nope, remaining stages are unlocked by playing start of story mode. Only DLC is colors from VOOT and extra story scenarios.

You can't remap movement keys. Stuck with left analog for now.
There's a psn group with some index vo players if anyone from EU & US region wants to do matches.
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

PlayStation 4 ports of Cyber Troopers Virtual-On, Virtual-On: Oratorio Tangram and Virtual-On Force were announced for PS4 today.
https://twitter.com/SEGA_OFFICIAL/statu ... 5858028546
https://gematsu.com/2018/10/virtual-on- ... ing-to-ps4

Shortly after the 2nd attempt at a kickstarter for PS4 twinsticks reached its goal in less than a day.
https://camp-fire.jp/projects/view/95196

Maybe it's time to main Bal-Bados for ps4 ver..
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Crazy freaking news
It was a damn shame a certain magical virtual on had no local multiplayer

Let's hope these versions have local multiplayer at least.
I'd be pissed if they didn't
Austin

Post by Austin »

Oh damn, not the kind of news I expected to wake up to today. Instant buy for me.
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

The PS4 version has been out for a few months now. Recently there was a patch that ironed out some issues like glitches specific to this port of VOOT (they were sort of cool tbh, melee cancel routes). Still missing some features compared to xbox360. Main one being there are no Replays so you can't even view back matches to see what the opponent was doing. But overall it's playable and there are more players for now.

edit: also missing local / LAN versus which is huge like shelcoof said. Also means you need to pay for PS+ to play multiplayer in any way.

I made a huge guide for VOOT near the PS4 port release. Mostly aimed at people returning to the game since the goal was to bring english resources to the level japanese advanced wikis. There should be some more beginner friendly video tutorials and such out this year from other VO players.
Last edited by Zaarock on Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

I was told the ports were online only

So sad when the 360 had LAN available :(

It's not like the PS4 couldn't handle split or anything
Davey

Post by Davey »

I was super pumped about this, but December was kinda busy so I put off getting it, then never got around to it. Maybe hopefully soon.

I haven't played regularly in ages so I'm probably terrible now. Even so, still my all-time favorite game. And probably always will be considering how few new games I play anymore, haha.
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Still my favorite game 10 years later as well. It's nice to see some old & new faces on PS4 (not too many, but still). Because of working on that guide I've been messing around with playing a lot more characters and that's been a lot of fun.

I ended up making some goofy compilation video of clips from the last year with the 360 version (ps. that stein-vok player is a monster and redefined that VR :lol:)
One US player who used to only play Virtual-On Force and Operation Moongate picked up VOOT and has been grinding out the PS4 version a lot, some really fun sets with him. I think he's already stronger than any Apharmd B player we had in the 360 days, also been helping out with that guide mentioned earlier.
Queen Charlene

Post by Queen Charlene »

how's the netcode in this version? i never really got to play the 360 version online (i still have it on XB1 though). i'm curious if it's decent enough for coast-to-coast gameplay. i'd love to get back into VOOT!
schnuth

Post by schnuth »

Has anyone tried the PS4 version with the 360 twin sticks and a Brook adapter? I would love to get some more use out of my controller.

How’s that other Magical VO game that came out a couple years back? Worth picking up if you know nothing about the anime tie-in?
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Queen Charlene wrote:how's the netcode in this version? i never really got to play the 360 version online (i still have it on XB1 though). i'm curious if it's decent enough for coast-to-coast gameplay. i'd love to get back into VOOT!
The netcode is pretty good, it's basically the same as the 360 version. Coast to coast should be OK and I know europe to east coast US is quite good.

For online matches people often do weekly sessions every saturday-sunday (Sunday 8-10am JST). Playing every sunday morning has been a long running tradition with jp players and that time happens to work out well for other regions. I know some other US players getting back into the game this month too.
schnuth wrote:Has anyone tried the PS4 version with the 360 twin sticks and a Brook adapter? I would love to get some more use out of my controller.

How’s that other Magical VO game that came out a couple years back? Worth picking up if you know nothing about the anime tie-in?
The Brook adapter is a perfect fit for this. It maps 1:1 to the default controls on the PS4 collection whether it's a Twin Stick or gamepad. Most other converters don't. On the PS4 collection the Start/Special button is locked to the PS4 touch pad button, and that brook converter maps Back to be the Touchpad button which is the same as on 360. Some other converters have the Back button become the PS4 Share button which is a bad fit.

Index Virtual-On is a decent pickup, escecially if you enjoy some single player content. That one has maybe the best single player content of the bunch with a bunch of challenge levels. People's main gripes with that game are it being abandoned very shortly after launch, with promised balance patches etc. cancelled. Twin-Stick support and some bug fixes were added later. The character/game balance is sorta bad for multiplayer but this doesn't matter for single player. It's probably close to what would've happened if VOOT never got any of the many version upgrades to get to the point where it is now.
For game balance the points / score system they tried to implement to encourage players to play aggressively actually worked out the other way around :lol: and they added a Burst / super mechanic similar to Gundam EXVS series but its behavior is pretty wonky and some of the supers are basically guaranteed hitscan hits on a button. It's fun to mess around in regardless and still a fast paced & skill driven game.

There's still an active japanese group playing index VO and the way people play it has developed to something of its own which is interesting. Anyway I'd say it's worth picking up, doubt it goes for much. I also didn't know anything about the anime but going through the content was a good time. Some of the gameplay changes they implemented are pretty nice too, and somehow there's the best Training mode and Replay system of the whole series (former having input display and all kinds of things). I also thought the final boss fight was better than any of the bosses in the rest of the series.
schnuth

Post by schnuth »

Thanks for the insight Zaarock! Sounds like I need to buy this game and a Brook adapter! The other game sounds intriguing too. Thanks!
it290

Post by it290 »

Just picked up this compilation and although the lack of local or LAN multiplayer is indeed pretty lame, I'm having a good time with it. Still getting used to the mechanical changes vs. the DC version I'm used to, but VOOT looks super sharp on the PS4 and I'm looking forward to doing some online matches. The super crispy port of the original game is a nice addition as well, and having never played Force I'm enjoying getting my toes wet with that although the simplified combat and slower speed definitely make it the lesser game. Hopefully this one comes stateside at some point.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Is this compilation PSN only? I tried a search engine and couldn't find any box art. I was able to find it on the JP PS Store, though.