Mega Sg (FPGA Genesis)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
strygo

Mega Sg (FPGA Genesis)

Post by strygo »

Just got a marketing email for it. If it is as good as the SuperNt, it will be nice. Here's a link, although it isn't working at the moment: http://www.analogue.co/mega-sg

Anyone have a sense of how much of a stretch it would be to support the Sega CD?
SNK-NEO-GEO

Re: Mega Sg (FPGA Genesis)

Post by SNK-NEO-GEO »

cool:) maybe it is not working because everyone is trying to pre-order:)
The Future Is Now
strygo

Post by strygo »

Notable from one of the pics is the 8bitdo M30 controller. I don't see that reference on the 8bitdo website yet. Presumably, that will be available closer to launch? Its shape seems a bit different than the Genesis one. I'm curious how it will stack up against the joyzz (which for me has worked great).
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Out of curiosity, is it again HDMI-only just like the Super Nt?
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

Lawfer wrote:Out of curiosity, is it again HDMI-only just like the Super Nt?
Seems so
a digital-analog converter "has been done for a long time now, we just haven't had time to get it out the door to everyone. It will be compatible with Super Nt, Mega Sg and all future Analogue systems."
From this article

This thing will get various cart adapters, excited about the Game Gear one.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

compatibility with MCD/SCD units is really neat - - https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dpo2FjnUcAABUFG.jpg:large
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Cartridge adapters are cool, this will probably be one of the best ways to play Game Gear games.

But all I really want to know is if they're still planning to rip us off with $40+ shipping. It's manipulative so they can advertise the price as lower than it really is, and absolutely does not make me want to buy their products.
strygo wrote:Anyone have a sense of how much of a stretch it would be to support the Sega CD?
You can attach a Sega CD 1 or 2 according to the Polygon article. I kind of doubt Kevtris will support loading isos in the inevitable jailbroken firmware because then he'd have to implement the whole console, but maybe that's simpler than I'd think?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Kez

Post by Kez »

bobrocks95 wrote:but maybe that's simpler than I'd think?
I would guess not, considering how much extra hardware the Mega CD adds. It wouldn't be cost effective for them to ship systems with enough headroom to add all this stuff. I'm hardly an expert though, happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.
strygo

Post by strygo »

I was surprised when the SuperNt was jailbroken. I had assumed that with the availability of carts like the SD2SNES, they would simply steer clear of anything that looks improper.

Pure speculation on my part, but the Sega CD port gives them some air cover to ultimately include SD-based Sega CD support when an eventual jailbroken device is released. Similar to their past devices, they can claim the device's primary and intended purpose is to play existing cartridges and discs, which matters when folks like Nintendo and Sega are also looking to cash in on the retro craze.

Refreshing myself on the technical specs of the unit, it basically has a faster 68000 processor, so from an FPGA core perspective, it's not entirely new. My guess is that supporting the hardware of the Sega CD would easily be within kevtris's abilities. The 32X seems less feasible to support.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Didn't the Sega/MegaCD unit include a 2nd Motorola 68000 processor ? This would make it a hard to emulate, unless the FPGA is really oversized (which it won't be to keep costs realistic).

But now that MD is running on FGPA, where do I get my X68000 fix on a FPGA ?
Kez

Post by Kez »

Fudoh wrote:Didn't the Sega/MegaCD unit include a 2nd Motorola 68000 processor ? This would make it a hard to emulate, unless the FPGA is really oversized (which it won't be to keep costs realistic).

But now that MD is running on FGPA, where do I get my X68000 fix on a FPGA ?
Yes as well as a GPU and additional RAM.

The MiSTer has a WIP X68000 (and Mega Drive) core, as well as a ton of others.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The MiSTer has a WIP X68000 (and Mega Drive) core, as well as a ton of others.
I know, but that's very "wip" and unlikely to improve a lot.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Does anybody else simply not give a crap about these, or the SNES version? No RGB - Fail. No extra cores (ever?) available (at least that's where the SNES one released a while ago is still at, right?) - Fail.

NES one I kinda still want (even though I already have a RGB modded NES...).
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

I just started messing with the MiSTer. It's still a bit new, but there's so much promise in the project! All I have at the moment are links: http://retrorgb.com/mister.html

I was able to pre-order the Mega Sg and while I'm genuinely excited for it, some of my favorite things about the Sega consoles were the weird accessories. Sega 3D Glasses, 32x, etc. If there isn't a way to use those, the MiSTer might be a more interesting solution.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I wish I wouldn't, but in fact they're really nice. a 1-CHIP SNES along with a OSSC gives you the same quality, but the jitter is a problem. To get the same quality from a MD on a OSSC you need to do quite some modding. And after all the price is reasonable - especially compared to the Nt Mini's price tag.

I'm sure a Nt Mini in a plastic housing will come eventually.
I was able to pre-order the Mega Sg
I would I could do the same, but I can't reach the site since I got the email...
cr4zymanz0r

Post by cr4zymanz0r »

So now when do we get a NT Trio system with NES/SNES/Genesis? :P
orange808

Post by orange808 »

I was hoping for a T16/PCE, but this is also a good idea.

The Game Gear option put this over the top. It's irresistible.
We apologise for the inconvenience
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Wow.. 8bitdo M30 is the biggest takeaway for me. If they get that D-pad action right, gonna be an absolute must-have. I have little need for these HDMI-retro clone consoles themselves personally.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Nice!

Maybe next an X68000 FPGA based console down the line? :P
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

FinalBaton wrote:Nice!

Maybe next an X68000 FPGA based console down the line? :P
As much as I want one, I can't imagine there being a large enough audience for it to justify production.
KonradKlaus

Post by KonradKlaus »

I kinda regret getting my Genesis 1 with, Sega Cd, and 32x now that they've announced this. If it were just Genesis... I probably wouldn't care, my ossc makes it look nice... but hooking that Sega Cd up (I am not going to cry over the 32x) with hdmi out along with the cartridge adapters. Seems like they made a nice package here. I bought a Super NT and it is my preferred SNES now... do I do it again???
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Conflicting feelings.
lechu

Post by lechu »

I hate Analogue. They keep taking my money.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Glad to see that shipping for either the Mega SG or Super NT is down to $24 for me, it was previously nearly $40 when the Super NT launched. Anyone else seeing reduced shipping costs?

Also, I wonder if all the people who said the Super NT would definitely add more cores have sworn off Analogue forever or are thinking about buying this anyway...
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Anyone else seeing reduced shipping costs?
unfortunately increased shipping for everyone outside Trump country.
lepo76

Post by lepo76 »

Really excited for this but that DHL shipping cost is out of control

I'm getting 79USD to ship to New Zealand....
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

I preordered one today, having a console that can do Genesis/MD, SMS, Game Gear and SG-1000 games all at once (albeit with some simple cart adapters) is what I've been hoping for for years.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Fudoh wrote:
lepo76 wrote:Really excited for this but that DHL shipping cost is out of control

Yikes, not a fair trade... Is it from tariffs on US goods (made in response to our tariffs Trump thought were a good idea)?
orange808

Post by orange808 »

retrorgb wrote:I just started messing with the MiSTer. It's still a bit new, but there's so much promise in the project! All I have at the moment are links: http://retrorgb.com/mister.html

I was able to pre-order the Mega Sg and while I'm genuinely excited for it, some of my favorite things about the Sega consoles were the weird accessories. Sega 3D Glasses, 32x, etc. If there isn't a way to use those, the MiSTer might be a more interesting solution.
Anything that breaks us out these walled gardens is infinitely more interesting for the community in the long term.

It looks like MISTer hardware is getting easier to source, so I hope you can help it gain more momentum.
We apologise for the inconvenience
lepo76

Post by lepo76 »

bobrocks95 wrote:
Fudoh wrote:
lepo76 wrote:Really excited for this but that DHL shipping cost is out of control

Yikes, not a fair trade... Is it from tariffs on US goods (made in response to our tariffs Trump thought were a good idea)?
we always get screwed with shipping cost down here.... but 79USD is just a bit too much :)