ZeroRanger (Final Boss)

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
Zaarock

Re: ZeroRanger (Final Boss)

Post by Zaarock »

Green Orange - Type-B (I-III-V)
Zaarock - 1,193,312 - 2-ALL - 2018/10/02
video

I really need to stop throwing everything at 2-3. Probably take a break at 1.2mil
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

ZeroRanger - Green Orange - Type B (I-III-VI)
M.Knight - 333,042 - 1-4 BOSS
Spoiler
Reached the Stage 4 boss. Its patterns are pretty hectic and manic, I like that. On top of that, when I saw the size and shape of the projectiles, I suspected a specific reference and was sooo delighted when it turned out to be spot-on. Very fun hommage :
Spoiler
The circular spread with the spheres is straight out of Kotsujin's last boss!
The other references in the game were cool but not especially exciting, however I loved the fuck out of this one. :mrgreen:
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Green Orange - Type-B (I-III-V)
Zaarock - 1,209,165 - 2-ALL - 2018/10/02
video

This was a mess, can't quit here. Final sequence went well though.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

ZeroRanger - Green Orange - Type B (I-IV-VI)
M.Knight - 355,339 - 1-4 BOSS
Spoiler
I feel so close to beating this boss. Man, I'll get it one of these days!

Zaarock : I am tempted to watch your runs but I don't want to be spoiled the 2nd loop. Impressive-looking scores in any case!
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

The 1-4 boss I find it's usually better to use the normal shot in its final phase. The drill or sword are too risky with type B, though sometimes the sword might be effective. The charge shot is a must I think - it helps immensely with crowd control on the orbs.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

I use the normal and back shot against the boss, but I think my problem is that I stick to the back shot too often when dealing with the very last pattern, which makes it last longer. It's just that when you get smacked around by the orbs it is extremely easy to lose sight of where you are and lose lives anyway so that's why I try to keep the orb count low. I should probably play more aggressively to shorten the fight instead. The charge shot could be really useful too, I haven't tried that. From my experience, whenever I use the charge shot to hold off bullets, they just clutter and form a wave of death after the explosion wears off, but the behavior could be different with the orbs.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

M.Knight - 470,836 - 2-2
Spoiler
Got the first loop! I ended up just playing very aggressively during the pattern that previsouly had me stuck. No fancy crowd-control with the back or charge shot for that phase, just stay close to the boss and use the forward shot while paying attention to the very top of the screen to anticipate the orbs.
I was in for a bunch of surprises afterwards though!
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

More surprises await you!

Normal (Green-Orange?) - Type-B (I-III-V)
EmperorIng 500,473 - 2-3

Dying on a lot of stupid mistakes, but at least I made a new best. I died at the trains though, not even at something respectable like the spider-tank.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

I made some progress in loop 2, and I definitely found a few little surprises that mess with what you know of the stages in the first loop, that's pretty funny.

ZeroRanger - Green Orange - type B (I-IV-VI)
522,423 points - 2-2 BOSS
Spoiler
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

M.Knight - 545,219 - 2-2 BOSS
Spoiler
Still stuck at the loop's second boss, though my scoring was apparently a bit better all throughout the game. I still tend to lose tons of lives in stage 4's final stretch so I don't have as many resources as I could have for the following challenges. Anyway, I am still making some progress.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

ZeroRanger - Green orange
M.Knight - 619,595 - 2-3 - Type B (I-IV-VI)
Spoiler
Recording here : http://youtube.com/watch?v=ULMUARg-vik

First time I reach this stage and I manage to clear it, though weird story-related stuff happens afterwards.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

try using your mech on the 2-3 ranger boss instead :wink:
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

ZeroRanger - Green orange
M.Knight - 670,131 - 2-3 - Type B (I-IV-VI)
Spoiler
Recording here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoluXGzY3N4
EmperorIng wrote:try using your mech on the 2-3 ranger boss instead :wink:
Still stuck in 2-3, and I just noticed this. It seems to be what I should do and I would have never in a million years guessed that given how there isn't anything to suggest I should try this.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Stevens - A bit over 397,000 - 2-2 BOSS

Finally broke through to the 2nd loop!

Stupid question incoming - how do I take a screen shot?
My lord, I have come for you.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Nice job Stevens! :)

What you can do to take a screenshot is to simply press the "Prnt Screen" key (it should be somwhere above the direction keys, near the very top of the keyboard) when on the results screen and then paste the screnshot on any image manipulation software with Ctrl+V (or by using the software's own menus). Even the basic MS Paint can suffice.
You can then save it to PNG format, ready to be uploaded on the internet. :wink:
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Excellent! Thanks MK!

I've only been able to play around 30 minutes a day on average, but when I'm not playing it I'm thinking about playing it.

I've said it before, but it keeps getting better then more time you spend with it. I'm finally having a slightly easier time with the R-9 and kind of (slowly) getting better all around.

Love this game:D
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Stevens wrote:when I'm not playing it I'm thinking about playing it.
That's the mark of a great game! (...or an addictive one lol)

The R-9 is pretty tricky at first because it has so many patterns that he can use at the same time, but just like everything else in the game, it never stays a big roadblock for long, and that sense of quick progression within the game is probably one of the things that make us want to play it more, as the next stage/boss always feels within reach.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Stevens - 2-3 BOSS

Getting there!
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

2-2 and the final boss just slay me every time
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Maybe try using the charge shot instead of the lock-on?

Though to be fair, the charge shot is mostly situational for me: it is good to use precisely on 1-3 boss, 1-4's boss, 2-3's boss, and 2-4's boss, first form. And maybe a few other areas where you want crowd control. But I mean, that's enough for me because those are such choke-points.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Still need to buy this.

Would appreciate if scores were written in posts so they don't get lost to time when the image hoster of choice eventually dies.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Getting closer. Made it to TLB and lost my nerves soon after the real fight began. There has got to be a better way to deal with those six orbs.
Maybe if I had picked sword like I usually do -instead of drill for a lark- I would have had the muscle memory to get out of tight spots. I lose a lot of lives being sloppy with melee.

Wonderful thing I learned today: the green blobs before 2-4's boss can be killed with drill/sword. Attacking orange blobs with drill/sword only divides them. You can get a free life this way - a crucial insurance cushion.

Normal (Green-Orange?) - Type-B (I-IV-VI)
EmperorIng - 576,318 - 2-4

Durandal

Post by Durandal »

EmperorIng wrote:Maybe try using the charge shot instead of the lock-on?

Though to be fair, the charge shot is mostly situational for me: it is good to use precisely on 1-3 boss, 1-4's boss, 2-3's boss, and 2-4's boss, first form. And maybe a few other areas where you want crowd control. But I mean, that's enough for me because those are such choke-points.
Homing shot is near-essential to maintain your multiplier in many parts of the game where there's just a lack of enemies on screen, especially around 1-3 and 2-2 where a lot of enemies are often sticking to the background first.

At the very least, I can't imagine charge shot being anywhere nearly as scoring-viable. Though I suppose the charge shot makes bosses easier to deal with, whereas homing shot is a bit more utilitarian while giving you more lives if you know how to handle it.

For listing purposes:
ZeroRanger - Green Orange - Type-B (I-III-VI)
Durandal - 829,684 - 2-ALL
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Durandal wrote:At the very least, I can't imagine charge shot being anywhere nearly as scoring-viable. Though I suppose the charge shot makes bosses easier to deal with, whereas homing shot is a bit more utilitarian while giving you more lives if you know how to handle it.
I wouldn't be so sure about this: the best score by far for previous version was with Type-C charge shot & sword. The routes are drastically different because you absorb bullets instead, get experimenting
Erppo

Post by Erppo »

Should post here too I suppose.

ZeroRanger - Normal - B (I-III-VI)
Erppo - 1,339,968 - ALL
Prinny

Post by Prinny »

ZeroRanger - Green Orange - Type-B (I-IV-VI)
Prinny - 898,347 - ALL - 2018/10/02

Screenshot
Erppo

Post by Erppo »

ZeroRanger - Normal - B (I-III-VI)
Erppo - 1,376,482 - ALL

Made a video since I feel that's not going to go up much soon. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbzOUNjSEJk
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Erppo, how do you absorb all six orbs on 2-4's last attack (1st phase)? Figuring out how to take those things out quickly would save me a lot of trouble. I use Tybe-B though, so it might not be applicable.
EDIT:

Normal (Green-Orange?) - Type-B (I-IV-VI)
EmperorIng - 610,600 - 2-4
[DISREGARD; NEW SCORE HERE]

Almost fucking there.
Last edited by EmperorIng on Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Erppo

Post by Erppo »

You just need good positioning (use background cues) as there's not much time to do it. Absorbing an orb kills you after a small delay but if you can grab them all before you die, you also end the phase. I think that's worth it in the last phase since it's easy to die in it anyway and it usually takes pretty long to do normally.
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Erppo wrote:You just need good positioning (use background cues) as there's not much time to do it. Absorbing an orb kills you after a small delay but if you can grab them all before you die, you also end the phase. I think that's worth it in the last phase since it's easy to die in it anyway and it usually takes pretty long to do normally.
They rotate counter-clockwise so absorb them in a clockwise rotation from left to right. You also get that life back from score in the end sequence. So suiciding to blow them up for max time bonus is the optimal scoring pattern.