Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Shepardus

Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

Post by Shepardus »

Tatsujin Ou - is there any strategy to avoiding the stage 3 midboss's green laser that zigzags around the screen? Why are the zako movement patterns so erratic? Is the stage 5 boss even possible?
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

In DoDonPachi DaiOuJou Black Label Extra, for Xbox 360, is there really no way to continue besides beating the game to turn on the continues through the EX options menu? Because there's absolutely no way in hell I'm goint to get beyond maybe the second level without continues...

If so, this game is such a waste for novice players like me...
tongshadow

Post by tongshadow »

Dochartaigh wrote:In DoDonPachi DaiOuJou Black Label Extra, for Xbox 360, is there really no way to continue besides beating the game to turn on the continues through the EX options menu? Because there's absolutely no way in hell I'm goint to get beyond maybe the second level without continues...

New to the genre as well, and one thing you have to understand about these shooters, specially DDP, are the mechanics/systems.
I havent played DDP that much (focusing on Ketsui right now, I think it's a good learning game), but Hyper mode is pretty important because it can null/cancel enemy's projectiles.

Like I said, Im completely new to the genre but I believe that understanding the game fundamentally is necessary to improve.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Do MAME input replays reliably play back now? I have had a lot of desync issues with them on older MAME versions so I got in the habit of doing actual recordings instead of input recording.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Does anyone have a 1-CC replay of 1943 (Capcom's old title)? I have no access to youtube at the moment (I am in CHN), and I am wondering how on Earth the final section has to be handled...
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
WarpedByTheNHK

Post by WarpedByTheNHK »

Does the sharp version of Cho Ren Sha 68k not have the secret option menu? I tried holding up on the options menu, and nothing happened. I wanted to play the game as it was originally designed, but not having access to stage select and boss rush is a huge disappointment.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Do MAME input replays reliably play back now?
Yes. Only game I've had desync problems with is Sand Scorpion (no idea what was wrong with that game, aside from everything).
Randorama wrote:Does anyone have a 1-CC replay of 1943 (Capcom's old title)? I have no access to youtube at the moment (I am in CHN), and I am wondering how on Earth the final section has to be handled...
Not sure if Nicovideo works in China, but if it does then here's a replay: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm168613
WarpedByTheNHK wrote:Does the sharp version of Cho Ren Sha 68k not have the secret option menu?
Nope.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

Are there any significant differences between the Saturn and Playstation versions of Donpachi and Dodonpachi? Are the ports on one platform better than the ones on the other?
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Shepardus, thanks! Let us say that my workplace only dislikes facebook and youtube, so problem solved.
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
FRO

Post by FRO »

Seahawk wrote:Are there any significant differences between the Saturn and Playstation versions of Donpachi and Dodonpachi? Are the ports on one platform better than the ones on the other?
I've not played the Saturn version of DDP yet, or either PSX game, but the Saturn version of DonPachi is unfortunately plagued with slowdown, as well as having very low-bitrate music and sound, so it sounds very scratchy. It plays well enough otherwise, but isn't probably the best way to play it.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Any idea why the Steam version of Kamui looks quite smeary and filtered (with the "apply filters" option turned off)? I'm using a low resolution to match that of the original version, or at least the ver. I've always had, and it still looks a fair bit worse...
WarpedByTheNHK

Post by WarpedByTheNHK »

Hey Shepardus, thanks for the help earlier. I should have responded back sooner, but I wasn't sure if bumping the thread for a simple thank you was good etiquette or not :oops:

Solved my new issue, so I deleted it.
Last edited by WarpedByTheNHK on Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knightmare

Post by Knightmare »

Can anyone help me remember the name of a doujin (I think) shmup from the early-mid 2000s? It had a body horror theme with some weird nudity. Kinda R-Type or Giger esque but with some anime influence. It was totally bizarre and I can't remember what it was called.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

It might be one of the Yakouga games, or Galshell?
The Giger-esque body horror theme is often seen in Artesneit's games so that fits the bill.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
Knightmare

Post by Knightmare »

I think it was Galshell. Thanks. Man, what a bizarre game. I thought R-Type 1 and 2 tested my tolerance for gross.
DialKnight

Post by DialKnight »

Dochartaigh wrote:In DoDonPachi DaiOuJou Black Label Extra, for Xbox 360, is there really no way to continue besides beating the game to turn on the continues through the EX options menu? Because there's absolutely no way in hell I'm goint to get beyond maybe the second level without continues...

You build continues by playing for hours like ikaruga
DialKnight

Post by DialKnight »

Seahawk wrote:Are there any significant differences between the Saturn and Playstation versions of Donpachi and Dodonpachi? Are the ports on one platform better than the ones on the other?
Saturn is better, you can see your score and don't have to pick your ship in the options screen.
Lord British

Post by Lord British »

Which shmup is at 20:25?

https://youtu.be/spolHQxcqxQ
Knightmare

Post by Knightmare »

I'm a big Cho Ren Sha fan but I've only ever played the Windows version. Is it worth trying to set up the Sharp version? Is the three frame difference(?) very noticeable?
WarpedByTheNHK

Post by WarpedByTheNHK »

Knightmare wrote:I'm a big Cho Ren Sha fan but I've only ever played the Windows version. Is it worth trying to set up the Sharp version? Is the three frame difference(?) very noticeable?
p version
The difference in speed felt pretty noticeable to me, but the lack of the secret options menu makes it a little hard to really recommend the sharp version.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Knightmare wrote:I'm a big Cho Ren Sha fan but I've only ever played the Windows version. Is it worth trying to set up the Sharp version? Is the three frame difference(?) very noticeable?
I'd say the Sharp version is slightly easier due to the framerate difference, but not worth emulating (if you have the actual hardware then go for it). Note that as WarpedByTheNHK said, the muteki menu (stage/loop select, invulnerability, etc.) is unavailable, or at least I have no idea how to get to it, and difficulty selection is also unavailable (to play Hard mode you have to 2-ALL the game on Normal and then select Continue). Other than that it's pretty much the same game.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Knightmare

Post by Knightmare »

WarpedByTheNHK wrote:
p version
The difference in speed felt pretty noticeable to me, but the lack of the secret options menu makes it a little hard to really recommend the sharp version.
Shepardus wrote:
I'd say the Sharp version is slightly easier due to the framerate difference, but not worth emulating (if you have the actual hardware then go for it). Note that as WarpedByTheNHK said, the muteki menu (stage/loop select, invulnerability, etc.) is unavailable, or at least I have no idea how to get to it, and difficulty selection is also unavailable (to play Hard mode you have to 2-ALL the game on Normal and then select Continue). Other than that it's pretty much the same game.
Thank you both. I like the high speed gameplay and hidden options of the Windows port so I'll stick to that version. Glad to know I'm not missing out on too much with the Sharp version.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Which ones are the easiest routes in Darius and Darius II?
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

FRO wrote:I've not played the Saturn version of DDP yet, or either PSX game, but the Saturn version of DonPachi is unfortunately plagued with slowdown, as well as having very low-bitrate music and sound, so it sounds very scratchy. It plays well enough otherwise, but isn't probably the best way to play it.
I wouldn't say plagued with slowdown, but it is noticeable in some odd places, like the red gem transition screens (this includes end-of-level bonus tallies).

Regarding the sound, the music is fine. It's redbook audio streamed directly from the disc, and sounds much better than the arcade version's dual PCMs, actually. The sound effects are largely the same as the arcade version as well (which was also pretty low-quality), but you will notice immediately that Bob (the announcer) is very scratchy. Also, for whatever reason, the big explosion sound of the stage 2 boss when it's defeated is absent.

Finally, I found that the Saturn version doesn't have a good yoko mode. The only options are scaling, so if you have to play in yoko everything will shimmer like crazy. Wobble mode looks okay but I don't know how anyone can play in wobble mode. I'd say don't even bother unless you have a tate setup.

You get an additional credit by getting to level 3, and additional ones for getting to levels 4 and 5 on a single credit. Once you clear stages/checkpoints you can use the stage select to practice them, which is the accepted method of learning shmups on home ports (although most others have all the stages available, not just areas you've cleared). Credit-feeding is a bad habit, I usually turn off continues completely via dipswitches in mame.

Don't use the analog stick, never die with bombs/hypers in stock, and train yourself to watch the bullets - especially the gaps between them. Good luck, you picked a doozy of a title for a novice player.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Randorama wrote:Which ones are the easiest routes in Darius and Darius II?
Darius II, the route that worked for me was:
ABEINSX

B is definitely the easier of the variants. While F isn't too bad, you want to avoid D if you want to avoid an endless spam of tiny suicide bullets.

The moon stage is pretty much the same difficulty-wise imo. However, you want to face off against Leadain (Zones L, N, O) a lot more than you would Yamato (K and M), especially if you are playing in the double-monitor version. Triple-monitor you have some chance to have some space to maneuver, but in double you are in very tight quarters with a frankly random enemy. Mars stage sucks no matter what. I found S to be a little more manageable, but the boss is going to make or break the run. Learn to lead the tiny octopuses away from the larger one and you might have a chance.

Jupiter is hard no matter what as well. If you get there with a shield and full-power, you are infinitely more capable of survival. Without it, it's kind of a crap-shoot. W, X, and Y have Little Stripes, which is the easiest boss of the three final bosses, especially since you can go behind it and destroy its appendages without fear of reprisal (I don't know entirely if this lessens its attack; I just do it as a matter of course). Little Stripes can be taken out with the pea shooter if you are calm enough to take it slow and get out of the way before it shoots its gigantic wave beam.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Thanks, everything is clear. No tips on the first Darius? It has been so much time that I mostly forgot everything about this series :wink:
FRO

Post by FRO »

OmegaFlareX wrote:
FRO wrote:I've not played the Saturn version of DDP yet, or either PSX game, but the Saturn version of DonPachi is unfortunately plagued with slowdown, as well as having very low-bitrate music and sound, so it sounds very scratchy. It plays well enough otherwise, but isn't probably the best way to play it.
I wouldn't say plagued with slowdown, but it is noticeable in some odd places, like the red gem transition screens (this includes end-of-level bonus tallies).

Regarding the sound, the music is fine. It's redbook audio streamed directly from the disc, and sounds much better than the arcade version's dual PCMs, actually. The sound effects are largely the same as the arcade version as well (which was also pretty low-quality), but you will notice immediately that Bob (the announcer) is very scratchy. Also, for whatever reason, the big explosion sound of the stage 2 boss when it's defeated is absent.

Finally, I found that the Saturn version doesn't have a good yoko mode. The only options are scaling, so if you have to play in yoko everything will shimmer like crazy. Wobble mode looks okay but I don't know how anyone can play in wobble mode. I'd say don't even bother unless you have a tate setup.
Maybe I need to go back and play it again to listen to the sound, but yeah, Bob definitely sounds like he needs a lozenge :lol:

I play in wobble mode, but then, I suck at the game, so I guess I don't know the difference.
Knightmare

Post by Knightmare »

Why is it that Strikers 1945 II seems better regarded here than Plus? I haven't played Plus yet but I would like to now that it's on Switch.
Hagane

Post by Hagane »

Well most evident thing is that Plus looks terrible. The Neo Geo couldn't do tate so it had to compress things to make them fit the shorter vertical lenght so sprites look crap.
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

Well, Plus is pretty much Strikers II all over again with more/slower bullets.
Strikers II arrange in a sense.