Anyone good at fixing geometry problems on a Trinitron?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
evil_ash_xero

Anyone good at fixing geometry problems on a Trinitron?

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I have a 36 inch Trinitron, and there are some geometry issues that are really souring the experience. I've tried for years to fix it, in the service menu, but it's like one thing just makes another thing worse.

Anyone here know this stuff well? I can take some pics, if so.
evil_ash_xero

Re: Anyone good at fixing geometry problems on a Trinitron?

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I'll go ahead and post pics.
The upper left side droops. I adjusted the TROT, to tone it down. But I couldn't do it anymore, or it started distorting the picture. There's a little wonky shit going on in the upper right hand side too.
As you can see, in the Mega Man X pic, there is kind of a bow going to the right.

All my Trinitrons have geometry problems, but this one is so big, and you notice it more. And it's a little worse.

Anything I can do about this?

evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Holy crap.

I'm not a technician. I was hoping there was some stuff in the menu I could work with.
I can't fiddle with the yoke and whatnot.

Unless someone else has any ideas, I guess I'll have to deal.
Endymion

Post by Endymion »

2 Things. No wait 3 things.

1. That isn't bad at all.
2. Doubtful this is a yoke issue. Adjusting the yoke is easy to do, it just involves turning it a little in either direction. But that affects tilt issues, not what you have here.
3. This is a corner convergence/alignment issue. This usually happens when the small magnetic strips along the outside of the tube fall out of place. They're held onto the tube where they are needed with some tape usually, and that stuff can just fall away as it loses its adhesive over the years. Putting them back where they belong solves it when this happens. Usually you can see where they should be, and you can kinda tell how the current (bad) placement is affecting the alignment in your corner areas too. Here's a good video -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAbqucrWHjU It can be dicey but if you just deal with the problematic strips you can usually lick it. Maybe put some new tape down over the others so you don't develop another issue later while you're in there.
4. Sorry I lied, 4 things, that really isn't bad at all, I had to triple-take it to really see the problem well.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Honestly, the only thing that makes me notice the geometry much, is that the TV is so big. It's like "SEE THIS!". :lol:

I might talk to some friends of mine who fiddle around with electronics. I'm worried I'd destroy the thing.
rama

Post by rama »

I'd leave this like it is.
You may fine tune it a little using the service menu controls, but if you (or your friend) start working the magnets, it will only get worse.
You really need someone experienced to do this, and who these days can still repair CRTs? ><

Do take pictures of the service menu settings if you want to tweak them.
Usually, there is no "reset to default" button, or the defaults are wrong for this particular set.

Sony chassis usually have a button combination on the set itself to enter service mode.
Google it.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Endymion wrote:2 Things. No wait 3 things.

1. That isn't bad at all.
2. Doubtful this is a yoke issue. Adjusting the yoke is easy to do, it just involves turning it a little in either direction. But that affects tilt issues, not what you have here.
3. This is a corner convergence/alignment issue. This usually happens when the small magnetic strips along the outside of the tube fall out of place. They're held onto the tube where they are needed with some tape usually, and that stuff can just fall away as it loses its adhesive over the years. Putting them back where they belong solves it when this happens. Usually you can see where they should be, and you can kinda tell how the current (bad) placement is affecting the alignment in your corner areas too. Here's a good video -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAbqucrWHjU It can be dicey but if you just deal with the problematic strips you can usually lick it. Maybe put some new tape down over the others so you don't develop another issue later while you're in there.
4. Sorry I lied, 4 things, that really isn't bad at all, I had to triple-take it to really see the problem well.
no sorry, that's wrong - this is a yoke issue, not rotation of the yoke, but TILT

horizontal bowing on trinitrons is very common and it affects the entire screen not just the corners, the fix is to tilt the yoke up or down slightly on the neck
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I wish I could do any of this, but I have no experience, to say the least.
And yes, bowing is very common on Trinitrons. I have 6, and they all have some junk going on like that.
The others are 27s, so you don't notice it that much.