TV RGB mod thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Sammickk

Re: TV RGB mod thread

Post by Sammickk »

MarkOZLAD wrote:
Sammickk wrote:So now you think I just need to wire up my SCART connecter and cross fingers fire it up and hope it works?
At some point you'll have to....
I know... I just don't have allota time to mess with this, I've had allot going on lately, and I just like to be thorough and get it right the first time. Plus this being the first time I've messed with anything like this, I've had to learn it all, I could have never got this far without you guys help.

So my options for wire are a silver 22 gauge stranded wire, or cat5e 24 guage solid copper wire, which would you guys use?

From reading on the scart wiki, from my female scart plug I will need to run wires for Audio in (right, left and ground), RGB and their grounds, Fast blanking and its ground, Video IN and its ground (composite sync), and pin 8 and its ground.

I think that's All I should need correct? I may get some time to finish this tonight.
reldvs1

Post by reldvs1 »

I don't want to hijack this thread so I just want to drop a line,
and invite any experienced modders to my new topic I posted on subject.

I'm RGB SCART modding a Toshiba CRT combo tv/vcr/DVD 27"

I've already come up with what I believe is a solid plan.
I'd like to see if anyone else would agree lol

Any help would be GREAT!

Thanks
Sammickk

Post by Sammickk »

First off I just give out a huge THANK YOU to all those that helped me with this!!!

I NESRGB modded my NES with Tim worthingtons Board and built his scart adaptor along side this TV Project and Finally I'm DONE!

Everything looks BEAUTIFUL!!!
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Last thing I have to do is drill holes for my NES pallet switch, 8 pin mini din, and Audio jack, and re assemble and Completely Done!

Again Thank you for all the help. Especially MarkOZLAD!!!
Fallen Kell

Post by Fallen Kell »

Sorry, long time lurker on this forum and I finally needed to post. I recently picked up a Sharp 27DV-S100 TV. Yes, it is a VCR/DVD combo system (and the DVD does not work), but the picture is extremely nice. After looking it over, I am trying to figure out if it is possible to RGB mod it. From everything I can find, I believe the answer is yes, but I wanted to ask someone more knowledgeable than myself to see if I am not thinking this is going to be easier than it looks.

External, everything is composite. Internally, the VCR and DVD are connected essentially through S-Video (just not using the port). However, everything is converted to RGB for the CRT. In the service manual, I found the diagram for these connections go through a single chip:

I also found the complete pin diagram for the chip:

To me that, looks like there are RGB input pins on 32-34 which are currently just going to ground (through either caps or resistors). Anyone see this chip before and know how difficult it would be to mod? I am thinking it is just a matter of wiring up an external connection to those grounded pins and and send the proper signal to tell the chip to use the RGB inputs as the source. Again, am I missing something that would make that impossible?
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

Glad it worked and you are happy. Got to love finding hidden Scart ports.

For curiosity’s sake, does the Scart autoswitching work? I.e. if you are in tuner mode and turn in your console connected by Scart does it automatically switch to show the console?

"Imagine toggle switch OSD modding a TV in 2019" - maxtherabbit
cyborc

Post by cyborc »

Fallen Kell wrote:Sorry, long time lurker on this forum and I finally needed to post. I recently picked up a Sharp 27DV-S100 TV. Yes, it is a VCR/DVD combo system (and the DVD does not work), but the picture is extremely nice. After looking it over, I am trying to figure out if it is possible to RGB mod it. From everything I can find, I believe the answer is yes, but I wanted to ask someone more knowledgeable than myself to see if I am not thinking this is going to be easier than it looks.

External, everything is composite. Internally, the VCR and DVD are connected essentially through S-Video (just not using the port). However, everything is converted to RGB for the CRT. In the service manual, I found the diagram for these connections go through a single chip:

To me that, looks like there are RGB input pins on 32-34 which are currently just going to ground (through either caps or resistors). Anyone see this chip before and know how difficult it would be to mod? I am thinking it is just a matter of wiring up an external connection to those grounded pins and and send the proper signal to tell the chip to use the RGB inputs as the source. Again, am I missing something that would make that impossible?

Here's the datasheet for that jungle IC. http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datashe ... 76AN.shtml

You should be able to insert your RGB signal on pins 33-35 and blanking on pin 32. (0.75v) You will need to remove those capacitors to ground on the R, G and B lines and add your own capacitors in series with your external RGB signal. (0.1uf most likely) Overall, a relatively easy job. You lucked out! In my experience, Sharp CRTs look great when RGB modded.
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

cyborc wrote:You will need to remove those capacitors to ground on the R, G and B lines and add your own capacitors in series with your external RGB signal. (0.1uf most likely)
If those capacitors on the unused RGB input are through hole type, could lift the grounded leg and inject RGB into them instead of removing and replacing.

maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

cyborc wrote: In my experience, Sharp CRTs look great when RGB modded.
I have a 32" Sharp curved screen slot mask CRT from 2005 with YPbPr. I was skeptical when I got it free, but it's become my main gaming monitor because it looks completely outstanding
Fallen Kell

Post by Fallen Kell »

MarkOZLAD wrote:
cyborc wrote:You will need to remove those capacitors to ground on the R, G and B lines and add your own capacitors in series with your external RGB signal. (0.1uf most likely)
If those capacitors on the unused RGB input are through hole type, could lift the grounded leg and inject RGB into them instead of removing and replacing.
Well, I am lucky, just not quite that lucky. According to documentation, they appear to all be surface mounts:

That said, I can simply desolder them (which removes the ground connection) and solder the additional wires to those pad sites or to the chip (whichever is easier/more convenient).

What does everyone recommend for using as the input connection? I know the Japanese style 8pin Mini DIN (like on the XRGB mini-Framemeister) like the MD-80CV are probably one of the easier things to use (drill correct size round hole in TV housing, insert MD-80CV from the inside, and screw down nut on the outside threads). Added convenience is that there are commercial SCART cables that convert to it.

Now from my understanding, I need to connect my RGB to the pads where those surface mount capacitors are located, with inline 0.1uf caps. I also need to connect a toggle switch which sends 0.75V to the where the resistor in purple, the SYNC to the yellow pad (with an inline diode), and then my L/R audio to appropriate sites (probably right off the rear input connector for L/R audio), so that when I toggle this switch, it changes to the RGB input and audio all at the same time (otherwise sends ground to the RGB, purple, and open to SYNC and L/R audio). Am I thinking down the correct path?
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

Fallen Kell wrote:Well, I am lucky, just not quite that lucky. According to documentation, they appear to all be surface mounts:

That said, I can simply desolder them (which removes the ground connection) and solder the additional wires to those pad sites or to the chip (whichever is easier/more convenient).
It may be possible to cut the ground plane traces but your plan is solid
Fallen Kell wrote:the SYNC to the yellow pad (with an inline diode), and then my L/R audio to appropriate sites (probably right off the rear input connector for L/R audio), so that when I toggle this switch,
I would just pump Sync and Audio through the AV port. Can solder underneath them if you want, (I generally break them out into RCA ports and run cables, but I'm weird.) If you need to trigger stereo you can by putting a cut RCA plug in the right channel. I have never soldered sync internally. Not sure why you think there needs to be a diode.

You should only need a switch for the RGB blanking. With blanking voltage disabled the RGB input won't do anything. If you will have a blanking voltage from your Scart/RGB cable you can use that to switch the RGB on, that way the TV enables RGB when you turn the console on.

Sammickk

Post by Sammickk »

MarkOZLAD wrote:Glad it worked and you are happy. Got to love finding hidden Scart ports.

For curiosity’s sake, does the Scart autoswitching work? I.e. if you are in tuner mode and turn in your console connected by Scart does it automatically switch to show the console?
YES! that's the only part i didn't quite understand about this whole mod.... how did you come up with the resistance amount that i needed for pin 8?

I can just turn on the console and it automatically switches to my game.

The only issue I'm having is the image seems shifted to the left. As in there is a unused small portion on the right hand side of the image. Any idea on how to fix this? I was in the service menu and try fideling with all the options and while I could change the vertical size and position i couldn't get the horizontal to do anything. There were many options for horizontal adjustments but a good bulk of them seemed to do nothing...
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

Sammickk wrote:
MarkOZLAD wrote:Glad it worked and you are happy. Got to love finding hidden Scart ports.

YES! that's the only part i didn't quite understand about this whole mod.... how did you come up with the resistance amount that i needed for pin 8?

I can just turn on the console and it automatically switches to my game.
I did explain in previous posts that the TVs generally scale down the (up to) 12V Scart pin 8 signal to a 5V range. They do that by using a voltage divider. We used a divider that was of a 7:5 ratio. (or thereabouts)
Sammickk wrote:The only issue I'm having is the image seems shifted to the left. As in there is a unused small portion on the right hand side of the image. Any idea on how to fix this? I was in the service menu and try fideling with all the options and while I could change the vertical size and position i couldn't get the horizontal to do anything. There were many options for horizontal adjustments but a good bulk of them seemed to do nothing...
I observed the same issue on the LG I modded with the same jungle. I did not find a solution.

Fallen Kell

Post by Fallen Kell »

cyborc wrote:
Fallen Kell wrote:Sorry, long time lurker on this forum and I finally needed to post. I recently picked up a Sharp 27DV-S100 TV. Yes, it is a VCR/DVD combo system (and the DVD does not work), but the picture is extremely nice. After looking it over, I am trying to figure out if it is possible to RGB mod it. From everything I can find, I believe the answer is yes, but I wanted to ask someone more knowledgeable than myself to see if I am not thinking this is going to be easier than it looks.

Here's the datasheet for that jungle IC. http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datashe ... 76AN.shtml

You should be able to insert your RGB signal on pins 33-35 and blanking on pin 32. (0.75v) You will need to remove those capacitors to ground on the R, G and B lines and add your own capacitors in series with your external RGB signal. (0.1uf most likely) Overall, a relatively easy job. You lucked out! In my experience, Sharp CRTs look great when RGB modded.
Reading the datasheet more closely, I think I need to do more than just connecting the wires. I need a video amp to convert from the 0 - 0.7V peek to peek RGB signal to 3.5V - 4V peek to peek that this chip is expecting. I think someone posted earlier in this thread how to convert the 0 - 0.7V peek to peek to 0 - 0.5V peek to peek, it also needs to be level shifted as can be seen below:

Or am I overthinking this because it is also listed as 100 IRE, which would mean it is all relative and the voltage doesn't matter, just the peek to peek? Anyone know for certain?
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Overthinking.

Its a .5vpp jungle that will take .7vpp anyway.

Easy mod.
arithmaldor

Post by arithmaldor »

Can anyone help my find the service menu on the Emerson sd-315 SpongeBob TV? Should be the same as the tmnt and Dora the explorer tv, also there's a Minnie and Mickey mouse model I believe. I found a hidden button on the remote so I think it has to do with holding that and entering a code, but I can't find the codes.
Visit Tinkerplunk for mods, repairs, and custom PCBs!
Twitter: @arithmaldor
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

What's the micron/jungle again?
Mark will know this one.
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

Syntax wrote:What's the micron/jungle again?
Mark will know this one.
I’m on holidays!

...send it through, obsession doesn’t take breaks.

Shredpirate

Post by Shredpirate »

Picked up a Sony Trinitron KV-19TS20 today from a fleamarket for $5. Anyone know if it is a good candidate to RGB mod? Here's a link to the service manual page 16: http://diagramas.diagramasde.com/otros/ ... 20P-3B.pdf
lukilla

Post by lukilla »

It looks like one of those sets mixing R and G into the crt output to the neckboard, it´s not even doing B, I would not bother.
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

Shredpirate wrote:Picked up a Sony Trinitron KV-19TS20 today from a fleamarket for $5. Anyone know if it is a good candidate to RGB mod? Here's a link to the service manual page 16: http://diagramas.diagramasde.com/otros/ ... 20P-3B.pdf
Sony P-3B chassis not RGB moddable by the techniques we champion here. I suggest a neckboard mod would be the direction you would have to go but I know little about them.

MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

arithmaldor wrote:Can anyone help my find the service menu on the Emerson sd-315 SpongeBob TV? Should be the same as the tmnt and Dora the explorer tv, also there's a Minnie and Mickey mouse model I believe. I found a hidden button on the remote so I think it has to do with holding that and entering a code, but I can't find the codes.

Try this

I have seen the code be written incorrectly too, try 6483...

https://www.electronica-pt.com/esquema/ ... -ch-11483/

arithmaldor

Post by arithmaldor »

Sorry, meant to get back to post the chips. I think I've tried the written code but I'll try the other tonight. Thanks!
Visit Tinkerplunk for mods, repairs, and custom PCBs!
Twitter: @arithmaldor
AkumaLeoN

Post by AkumaLeoN »

Hello, I recently acquired a Sharp 36R-50S; very close to FALLEN KELL, I wish to mod it to create an RGB(vga) input. So far I could not find any IC datasheets (IC 201 - IX3253CE).

But I was able to get the repair manual where I found out the OSD IN (R,G,B & BLK) input pins 15,16,17 & 14. At this point I would like to know what are my Voltage threshold for the BLK input, the manual doesn't mention anything about RGBs.. So before I started to just randomly use 5V or 3V... I am asking If anybody can guide me how to complete this mod or even help me to retrieve the correct IC chip datasheet.

additionally, I measured the voltage across BLK when on a RF channel (around 0.6V) and later on INPUT 1/2 (around 1.6V) using the tv Setup Menu.

My guess (please correct me if I am wrong), is this TV when on RGB should be looking something between 1-3V ? and 0-0.75v on Component ?

Also, i plan on using a 4PDT switch in order to change between component and RGB.

Any help is appreciated
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

Does this service manual match?

https://elektrotanya.com/sharp_32r-s50_ ... nload.html

If you google "IX3253CE equivalent" you'd see that it is a clone of the TA1268N chip.

Your plans for the mod are quite a bit off, this TV can be easily modded with an OSD/External RGB Mux (sorry Syntax) with at most a single point switch required.

A tip for working out the appropriate blanking voltage, the Micro controller is sending a 5V blanking pulse through a 6.8KOhm resistor and then has a 3.3KOhm to ground. This creates a voltage divider that we can calculate the resultant voltage of...

5v * 3.3/( 3.3+6.8 ) = 1.63V

Another cheat to blank it for RGB, all you need to do is send 5V to the leg of the 6.8KOhm resistor that is closest to the micro controller and the built in voltage divider will do the work for you. Attach a switch to the 5V line and the blanking circuit is done.

AkumaLeoN

Post by AkumaLeoN »

MarkOZLAD wrote:Does this service manual match?
https://elektrotanya.com/sharp_32r-s50_ ... nload.html
If you google "IX3253CE equivalent" you'd see that it is a clone of the TA1268N chip.
Your plans for the mod are quite a bit off, this TV can be easily modded with an OSD/External RGB Mux (sorry Syntax) with at most a single point switch required.
A tip for working out the appropriate blanking voltage, the Micro controller is sending a 5V blanking pulse through a 6.8KOhm resistor and then has a 3.3KOhm to ground. This creates a voltage divider that we can calculate the resultant voltage of...

5v * 3.3/( 3.3+6.8 ) = 1.63V

Another cheat to blank it for RGB, all you need to do is send 5V to the leg of the 6.8KOhm resistor that is closest to the micro controller and the built in voltage divider will do the work for you. Attach a switch to the 5V line and the blanking circuit is done.
MaRkOZLAD - Thank you for the clarification, and the chip equivalent (TA1268N)!

Yesterday I got anxious, traced the BLK to the micro-controller and realized the voltage divider (resistor and V drop) but at that time I couldn't read the 5V output from the micro-controller. But your info checks with my assumptions.

To bad I have already solder 8 wires (4) from the chip pins and (4) from the board that I plan to connect with the switch.
I didn't know that I could have just left the rgb IN signal in parallel using the OSD/External RGB Mux with the BLK (ON/OFF) doing the trick. I wish I had asked for help a few days earlier.
For now i am waiting for the VGA connector and plan to complete the mod next week.
thanks again

---------
Updating my results after installing my VGA connector and trying to play my Dreamcast here my results:
DC PAL(left) & DC NTSC (right)
ImageImage

I am not sure why the screen is not synched properly, my VGA (PIN 13) is tighten on the board with the Video component. the problem is a persistent picture wobble/interference...
I have 75 ohm resistor on each rgb leg to gnd and a 0.1uF to the osd chip.
When I flip the switch back to component everything is fine. could it be an external/internal signal doing interference ?
lukilla

Post by lukilla »

480p from dreamcast (30khz) wont work on standard definition TV´s (15khz)
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

Theory notes for The 8 Bit Guy's RGB mod are here

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=63425&p=1338231#p1338231

saegiruchiba

Post by saegiruchiba »

Hi, I have been trying to figure out how to get my 32" Philips RGB modded for awhile now, but I honestly don't know how to proceed. I have found the service manual for my TV, but the schematics are beyond me. The 8-Bit Guy's recent videos reignited my hopes, so if anyone out there could help me out and let me know if it is even possible with this set, and how to go about getting it done... I would be extremely appreciative. Side note, if you live in the Baltimore area, I'd even be interested in paying to have the mod done for a reasonable cost (unless it's something I feel I could do with my limited soldering skills.)

Thank you!

Service Manual TP3684C101
AkumaLeoN

Post by AkumaLeoN »

lukilla wrote:480p from dreamcast (30khz) wont work on standard definition TV´s (15khz)
Hmm.. I was using one of those TORO vga box, thinking I could switch from 31 to 15Khz (vga) but I think you are correct, what the box do is RGB (Scart at 15khz) and VGA (D15 at 31 khz) ... Oh boy, I will have to mod for a SCART connector! Thank you... will keep you updated.
Theory notes for The 8 Bit Guy's RGB mod are here
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=63425&p=1338231#p1338231

Many thanks
lukilla

Post by lukilla »

That´s exactly how 480p looks on sd tv´s :)