SNES (PAL, NTSC) RGB signal quality

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
RetroBVM

SNES (PAL, NTSC) RGB signal quality

Post by RetroBVM »

I was looking up SCART cables for the SNES (PAL) found that there are multiple way to get and RGB signal over SCART out of it. There seem to be a lot of opinions in regards of quality of the RGB video signal.
Are there any differences visible or measurable in the flowing configurations?

SNES (PAL) => sync stripper=> RGB with c-sync
SNES (PAL) => RGB with sync over luma
SNES (PAL) => RGB bypass=> RGB with c-sync

SNES (NTSC) => RGB with c-sync
theclaw

Re: SNES (PAL, NTSC) RGB signal quality

Post by theclaw »

Console revisions made some changes to the sync (1-CHIP 03 has problems with c-sync), and TVs vary in what they want.

I think for common use, CBVS sync (composite video) is fine on the SNES.
c-sync or luma will only be visibly different in specific cases.
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

theclaw wrote: I think for common use, CBVS sync (composite video) is fine on the SNES.
I do not agree with that statement, at least not for use with upscaling into a HD display. You are almost guaranteed to see cross-hatching, unless you get a cable where each separate line is shielded.

Easiest, for PAL SNES, is luma sync cable, and you will not be able to tell difference from c-sync.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Csync can cause some consumer sets to wobble and some Sony sets to have incorrect reds.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

Harrumph wrote:
theclaw wrote: I think for common use, CBVS sync (composite video) is fine on the SNES.
I do not agree with that statement, at least not for use with upscaling into a HD display. You are almost guaranteed to see cross-hatching, unless you get a cable where each separate line is shielded.

Easiest, for PAL SNES, is luma sync cable, and you will not be able to tell difference from c-sync.
Technically you'd only need the sync line to be separately shielded. But yeah, since the SNES is already outputting so many other options at the multi-out, there's not much reason to use composite video for sync.
theclaw

Post by theclaw »

I guess. I forget that plugging a SNES into a contemporary SCART TV is no longer the norm.
RetroBVM

Post by RetroBVM »

Looks like Lord Voultar and the guys at The Retro Roundtable answered the question partial at 1:57:38 of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLBQxuljiAU.

So following what Lord Voultar said, the PAL SNES cables with the sync stripper like the ones from retrogamingcables.co.uk and other manufacturers are obsolete or at least no sync stripper is necessary to be used when connecting something like an Extron matrix switcher.