Any downside to using an extron RGB interface?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Classicgamer

Any downside to using an extron RGB interface?

Post by Classicgamer »

I love my Extron RGB interface. It is one of the most useful things I own for a 15khz set-up. I use the display on it to tell when the PC is outputting 15khz or 31khz so I know when it is safe to turn on my arcade monitor.

I use it to tell me the exact refresh rate my PC is outputting too, so I can asses the success (in terms of authenticity) of my set-up.

I also use it to convert seperate to composite sync. I don't technically need that as my arcade monitor and Ikegami can accept seperate sync but RGBS is what real hardware used, and I like authenticity.

So.... I was wondering.... is there any downside to using these devices? I.e. Does an RGB interface introduce any sort of lag? Or, does the seperate to composite sync conversion cause results that differ in some way from native composite sync?
maxtherabbit

Re: Any downside to using an extron RGB interface?

Post by maxtherabbit »

no you good
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

maxtherabbit wrote:no you good
Thanks.

I'm going to buy 3 more so I have one for every display I use.
Gara

Post by Gara »

Only bad thing that I can see is on my setup anything run through my rgb rxi has some line distortion on the top of the image. The serr switch cleans some of it up but not sure how to remove it completely. I added on a little 2x1 extron rgbhv switch so I can have one clean output and one output through the extron rgb. Not every game needs adjustments but I'm sure happy to have it when needed.
NightSprinter

Post by NightSprinter »

It can actually also be useful if you have a monitor that can accept 15-28Khz signals, but have no RGBI input connectors. I discovered through the Commodore 128 that I previously owned, that it will take the digital RGBI signal, and convert it (depending on setting) to RGBs or RGBHV. I can see this being useful for someone who may have something like a Tandy 1000, who wants to record or stream the Tandy-enhanced games over RGB.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

it will take the digital RGBI signal, and convert it (depending on setting) to RGBs or RGBHV
that's interesting. Didn't know that, especially since it's not even mentioned in the specs. Which exact interface did you use to try that ?
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Very interesting indeed regarding RGBI conversion! That's a cool discovery right there. If I had an older computer I'd test that out for sure
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

NightSprinter wrote:It can actually also be useful if you have a monitor that can accept 15-28Khz signals, but have no RGBI input connectors. I discovered through the Commodore 128 that I previously owned, that it will take the digital RGBI signal, and convert it (depending on setting) to RGBs or RGBHV. I can see this being useful for someone who may have something like a Tandy 1000, who wants to record or stream the Tandy-enhanced games over RGB.
Can you explain how to connect the C128 RGBI output to the Extron rgb 203 rxi input?
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications
NightSprinter

Post by NightSprinter »

It doesn't look like the rxi series supports TTL RGBI inputs. As far as I can recall, the 202 Plus, 202 VTG Kit, RGB 118, are the only ones I know of that can take a DE-9 input from something like a Tandy 1000, C128, or IBM and compatible CGA or EGA card and transcode it (at the same scan rate) to analog RGB. A 202/202PLUS can be found for under $50 after shipping on eBay. What baffles me, is the fact they can make sync-on-CVBS and Sync-on-Luma cables I had for the PS1 and PS2 somehow work on my NEC XM29 Plus. Granted, the Luma cable was far more stable, but it was still fascinating it could somehow make the cables compatible.
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

NightSprinter wrote:It doesn't look like the rxi series supports TTL RGBI inputs. As far as I can recall, the 202 Plus, 202 VTG Kit, RGB 118, are the only ones I know of that can take a DE-9 input from something like a Tandy 1000, C128, or IBM and compatible CGA or EGA card and transcode it (at the same scan rate) to analog RGB. A 202/202PLUS can be found for under $50 after shipping on eBay. What baffles me, is the fact they can make sync-on-CVBS and Sync-on-Luma cables I had for the PS1 and PS2 somehow work on my NEC XM29 Plus. Granted, the Luma cable was far more stable, but it was still fascinating it could somehow make the cables compatible.
Nice! I got an Extron RGB203Rxi a few years ago and assumed it did everything. But it looks like Extron removed some features. Thank you for pointing out that older units support TTL (and ECL) video signals.
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications