GD: Analysis of the jets in RFJ.

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
DaBoss

GD: Analysis of the jets in RFJ.

Post by DaBoss »

Anyone wanna talk about the jets in RFJ? Any specific strats? Which jet do you primarily use? I'll post some of the stuff I learned later, but keep in mind I'm still very new to this genre in general ":^)"
IlMrm

Post by IlMrm »

Personally I only use the Judge Spear Slave, and the Ixion. I like the Judge Spear Slave for its speed, and its long lasting bomb. For the Ixion, stay away from missile powerups.

Occasionally I would use the Blue Javelin for fun(I love those missiles).

Our very own Alluro is the expect with the Raiden MK II.
Our very own Venom, the Ixion.
DaBoss

Post by DaBoss »

Yeah, I like using the Raiden Mk-II also. That laser is too awesome. Are all the jets good, or are there some that are just really bad?
IlMrm

Post by IlMrm »

There's probably a couple that no one touches. Sorry I can't say though, since I only stick with 2-3 planes consistently, and once in a while, the Miclus, and the Fairy(since three of them together are so cute). :)

The Raiden MK II is too slow for my taste, but you can dominate with it, as Alluro demonstrated.

Since I used to play RFJ in the arcades, I don't really want to waste money on the other planes. :)
DaBoss

Post by DaBoss »

Where is the best place to get vids of this game? Thanks in advance.
IlMrm

Post by IlMrm »

Alluro posted a video of him clearing it with the Raiden MK II a while back. You should PM him about it.
DaBoss

Post by DaBoss »

I found the vid in a topic. This Alluro guy is INSANE. Especially all that work on the final bos... Scary shit. Anyways, thanks for the help.
insul

Post by insul »

I guess I can go through a few of them (that I remember)
Im currently researching all the traits of the ships in that game, to catalogue them for some reason

(by the way, the ships i Generally use are the Ixion, Fairy, Raiden MII, chaser 2000 and Blue Javelin)

In no particular order:
Ixion - Fastest non-slave ship (as far as I know), really good lasers, good bomb, good charge attack. Its only con would be if you picked up missiles by accident.

Hell Diver - Fast, not as fast as others, but still good speed. The boomerang lasers are cool, but not that good - Missles for the hell diver are better. Good bomb, and really fast slave. Drawback? The lasers.

Beast Wing - An okay ship. The missles kind of blow, but the flame-thrower laser is very good. Incredibly good charge attack, decent bomb - bad missles.

Eraser - SLOW slow ship; slow, but very powerful. The lasers are the fine point, and even though they fire in largely spaced rounds, they are very strong. The laser charge attack is incredibly powerful, but its not a very good ship on the whole.

Flying Ray - Mesmorizing ship. The fanning lasers are literally a light show, and when you use the missle charge attack its very difficult to see enemy shots. I dont personally reccomend this one.

Death Header - The lightning is a cool, but useless, touch. THe missles arent a great improvement either, and the ship is fairly slow. Not good in my books.

Raiden Mark II - The curling, homing laser of this ship well makes up for its slow speed. Powerful, but you must be careful to watch where you are more than what you are blowing up.

Raiden Mark IIb - No good; well, good, but there are many other better ones. The beta stage of the mark II really didnt improve on much, did it?

Judge Spear - Would have been cool if the nitro/napalm charges were as strong as they were in VP1. Id say its outdone by its brother.

Blue Javelin - Better than the judge spear because it has the best powerup from VP1 - The missles. They may be slow, but they spread far and are quite powerful.

Chaser 2000 - The only thing i can really say about this one is that I love the connecting lasers; they kind of remind me of that game 'Glinx' or whatever.

Miclus - Not bad, but not particularly good either. Good bomb though - same as the fairys bomb and the charge shot of the beast wings laser.

I havent played as the Aegis 4 or Griffon enough to form an opinoin.

Fairy Not too bad - better than the slaves IMO just because i love the bomb.

Slave Not much more I can say about these except that they are bigger than the fairy, vary in speeds and dont have nearly as cool a bomb as the flamethrower :p[/b]
Aquas

Post by Aquas »

Achieving all of my hi-scores, I find that using the laser-side of power-ups almost always gets me the success I need. Missles just aren't adequate enough most of the time. And when lazers have trouble cutting it, I might sometimes switch to missles if I need the strength. But it usually costs me more mayhem on the screen.

Hell Diver for example,
the lazer boomerangs may be weird, but there's a trick to using them and getting heavy damage. They're really tricky, but they also sweep the screen. I often charged up the lazer-boomerangs to unleash a hell of lazer boomerangs, which focuses in a bunch of boomerangs near the end of the charges, which usually obliterates whatever is in its way. That's pretty satisfying.

Beast Wing- go with lazer-flamethrower. It rocks.

Eraser - go with lazers.
Flying Ray - seconded, lazers.
Death Header - Yeah... lazers. They sweep, and that's pretty handy. Except when you're tryin to hover over turrets *cough*

Blue Javelin -
you know, I like this ship. I was playing with it today and nabbed a hi-score [US] of 72 million. Those missles are it's saving grace, they do most of the damage that needs to be dealt by this ship. The powered up lazers are somewhat effective, having them, as well as the missles powered up are integral in quick-shotting and pointblanking stuff. Most of the time if I die, though, I focus on getting my missles back up. They spread out pretty well.

Miclus - This ship is strong. The closer you get with its regular fire, the faster they'll go down, quite dramatically. Don't be afraid to lay waste with that flame, it rocks, and use it for wider coverage.

Aegis IV - I must say. I could not get this ship to handle Real Phase I. I just couldn't handle the heat, it wasn't strong enough to take out everything it needed to remain in control. I got to phase I over and over, and repeatedly couldn't beat it. Luckily I rolled through a second play through and grabbed some miclus' in stage 5 and was able to take a good lead over the current hi-score on the machine where I live. That's what I recommend doing with this one, get to that air carrier dusk battle and start over. Don't fight level 50 boss, I doubt aegis could handle ithat too.

Fairy - Know your speed!
Mills

Post by Mills »

:o Come on shumpers, who cares about the other fighters in RFJ. If Seibu kaihatsu programmed this game properly, the gameplay would have been balanced out to be 1ccd with all 14 fighters. this game has been rushed.
Aquas

Post by Aquas »

Well, if you consider your RFJET 1cc to be going through the real phases, then yes. That's suicide for a good majority of the ships. However, if you think getting through a loop is 1cc'ing, then with the right amount of skill, any ship can do it. I find the game definitively challenging... Ha. But that might just be my obsession with it.
STG Weekly!, 1cc's, twitch, XBL: DJ Aquazition
The in-game papers prove that being the paperboy is actually a position of the greatest importance,
ranking alongside top elected officials for notoriety. -Ed Oscuro