What are you currently listening to?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Obscura

Re: What are you currently listening to?

Post by Obscura »

I like it, but as of right now, I'm a bit of two minds on it -- while every moment is excellent, the overall structure is a bit too unfocused and meandery, at least on first listen. It's clearly kind of a "six shorter songs combined into one with some rhythmic leitmotif tying them together", but the result is that it never feels like it has strong momentum in one direction. More listening with the benefit of some memorization may alleviate this some, though.

I still wish he'd bring the keyboards back. The original "Snowland" and "Puressence of Primeval Forests" are still my favorite SDG albums. EDIT: According to an interview I found, the things I thought were keyboards on "Puressence..." were actually guitars run through lots of weird effects. Huh.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

I haven't really focused on the "album as a whole" flow aspect yet. Only the individual parts as self-contained songs. It's true that when you have a long ass song like that, flow is IMPERATIVE. You can't hide from it, you gotta make a priority of nailing this aspect down. Whereas a a traditional album format is more lenient in this regard
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Listening to it a few more times, it's pretty clearly six movements put together on one track to force people to take the album as a whole, and the fifth movement recalling the second movement and re-using the sung bit in its outro doesn't change this. This may sound like I'm slighting it, but it's actually the opposite -- the album becomes a lot more enjoyable once you start apprehending this structure, since it relieves the need to keep thematic focus over 50 minutes and instead allows it to have six focused sections that complement each other.

This one requires a lot of focus and attention even by proper black metal standards, but it's certainly great once you start to unravel it and understand it. The fourth movement leaves the band's comfort zone a bit in its attempt to do the Polish black metal "epic" thing and crosses that line from "rousing and epic" into "bouncing drinking music" at times (complete with "HEY!" chants), and I don't think many people will rate this as highly as Snowland or Puressence of Primeval Forests overall (it lacks that unsteady awkwardness of the former that always seems to make the inherent tensions in black metal stronger, and it lacks the relentless bleak drive of the latter), but it's a damn worthy entry into their discography and easily up there with Ritual of the End or the 2012 re-recording of Snowland.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

^^^^^^^^^^
Ha! guy can fucking play. Fucking right bud!

It's all so tasteful too

Very impressive as always. A true BEAST

It's so interesting how even in Martyr, he incorporated a lot of dissonances in his play, that are similar in mood to Voïvod's stuff(no surprise since Voïvod is Dan's main influence). Truly the perfect replacement for dear departed Piggy.

REST IN CHAOS PIGGY <3 <3

EDIT : gotta reiterate how impressive the writing is. Playing this is one thing(it's fucking impressive on it's own), but WRITING THIS takes a true genius. a monster of a composer
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

https://themidnight.bandcamp.com/album/kids
The Midnight's new synth album. Very cool vocal tracks and samples.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKe8jze56Vg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS8BkOaeCgo

Varathron - Patriarchs of Evil

If you are a metal fan and haven't listened to this Varathron album yet, make it your next listen!
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

https://wojciechgolczewski.bandcamp.com ... es-datak07
This Polish artist is quickly becoming a favourite of mine. Fake horror Synth soundtrack here, but his Space Synth content is orgasmic.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Man, this album is quintessential cyberpunk cheese, with emphasis on PUNK. All cyberpunk themed songs being all synthwave nowadays loses out on that edge in favor of atmosphere and AESTHETIC. Teknojihad really flares up that inner anarchist, and Shock on the Wire is pure
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Youtube went and recommended Cassiopea's Mint Jams, so I've been listening to it over and over.
it's so good
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Casiopea radio, 24/7:

http://nonstopcasiopea.radio.net/
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Randorama wrote:Casiopea radio, 24/7:

http://nonstopcasiopea.radio.net/
Fuck yeah, thanks for sharing! :D
http://hyades.shoutca.st:8551/listen.pls?sid=1&t=.pls
Radio in .pls format for foobar/winamp users.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Obrigado! :wink:
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Randorama wrote:Obrigado! :wink:
:wink:
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Durandal wrote:Man, this album is quintessential cyberpunk cheese, with emphasis on PUNK.
Welcome to My Mind and Shock on the Wire are a blast! I can definitely see what you mean about the enjoyable cyberpunk cheesiness, whether it is in the lyrics or the instruments. It shows how it comes from a time where the internet, VR and all that futuristic-looking tech was seen as rad and cool instead of simply be boringly commonplace.

If you know other songs in the same vein, I am all ears!
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

https://theloniousmonk.bandcamp.com/album/m-nk
Unreleased Thelonious Monk album, recorded from a 1963 concert in Copenhagen.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Durandal wrote:Man, this album is quintessential cyberpunk cheese, with emphasis on PUNK. All cyberpunk themed songs being all synthwave nowadays loses out on that edge in favor of atmosphere and AESTHETIC. Teknojihad really flares up that inner anarchist, and Shock on the Wire is pure
Heeeey it's the X-Kaliber 2097 guys that took the spotlight from Hitoshi Sakimoto :D
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Woah, I wasn't aware there was a bunch of remixes of their songs in a SNES game! I imagine it's a similar situation to BioMetal, except much less unfitting?
I took a listen to them and I still prefer the original Psykosonik album songs a lot more though. While the X-Kaliber remixes are alright, the lack of lyrics and the SNES instruments impacts the feel of the songs quite a bit.

That .gif kills me by the way. :lol:
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
kaicooper

Post by kaicooper »

Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Yuzo and Motohiro Kawashima live in Paris - few weeks ago.

SOR 4 devs happened to be in attendance as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnZqaMnJhLA

Here is an interview he did before the concert - at 5:50 he says he still cannont comment but is in discussions with the devs.

https://funny18plus.site/funmovies/2vYu ... ish-french
My lord, I have come for you.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Seyriuu

Post by Seyriuu »

Anyone here into psychill/psydub? its a pain for me to find music I like, I've been listening to this compilation for more than a year already:

https://chillout.zone/collections/silen ... ctal_space
Lord British

Post by Lord British »

FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

This is some really well-done oldschool power metal/NWOBHM stuff! Really tight and catchy

I usually don't like that type of female vocals in metal(although there are other female vocal types that I enjoy, such as growlers, screamers/screechers and those that go for some other really occult or haunting or ethereal styles), but this is extremely well done for that style and absolutely enjoyable. She has an awesome clean-singing voice!
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Lord British

Post by Lord British »

FinalBaton wrote:
This is some really well-done oldschool power metal/NWOBHM stuff! Really tight and catchy

I usually don't like that type of female vocals in metal(although there are other female vocal types that I enjoy, such as growlers, screamers/screechers and those that go for some other really occult or haunting or ethereal styles), but this is extremely well done for that style and absolutely enjoyable. She has an awesome clean-singing voice!
Thanks FB! I'm the songwriter of the band, and since I left Chicago for Pennsylvania almost 2 years ago we had to call it quits.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Leatherstrip: Anal Cabaret

I've been a fan of LS and Soft-Cell for many years now and although I'd heard Claus play a few Soft-Cell songs live at gigs such as Sex Dwarf and such I'd never gotten around to getting hold of his Anal Cabaret.
It's not bad.

I also saw LS last Saturday live and it was good. Hadn't seen him live for a few yers but seen him many times over the years.
More Bromances = safer people
Marc

Post by Marc »

The latest (15th!) Therapy? album 'Cleave'. Brilliant stuff, 32 minutes of short sharp rock & roll. Going to see them live next month, lost count of how many of their gigs I've been to over the years. First was 1994.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Marc wrote:The latest (15th!) Therapy? album 'Cleave'. Brilliant stuff, 32 minutes of short sharp rock & roll. Going to see them live next month, lost count of how many of their gigs I've been to over the years. First was 1994.
I lsiten to them from time to time still. Wonder if he still lives in Cambridge. The song Turn is really good.
More Bromances = safer people