OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
thebigcheese

Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

Post by thebigcheese »

BuckoA51 wrote:I don't have access to a NTSC NES, well, I do, but it's RGB modified and that disables composite :(
Not necessarily. I get composite out of my NES with NESRGB mod. And s-video. But I wired it for a multi-out, so there are enough pins on that connector to accommodate all of that.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

nmalinoski wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:Hey, another reason to add an HDMI input to the OSSC in the future. :wink:
I'd kind of like to see a future OSSC be retooled to add, or perhaps an OSSC-like alternative that adds, both digital input and analog output.

First, ditch the component input, and maybe also SCART. The DE-15/VGA connector used for AV3 is able to accommodate all of the input formats supported by the OSSC, plus composite video and YC (S-Video) if those ever get supported natively, with the correct passive adapter: BNC to DE-15 for under $15; YPbPr and RGsB component for under $10; and composite and S-Video for under $5 (again, if these are ever supported); while a SCART to DE-15 will cost you about $35 at Retro-Access (I'd link, but their custom cable configurator doesn't support sharing a custom configuration). Add to this input the low-pass filter that was used for AV1 and AV2, and allow it to be toggled on/off.

I was thinking BNC would be nice, and it has the same capability as DE-15, but a block of 5x BNC takes up more than twice the footprint of one DE-15, S-Video to BNC adapters cost between $12 and $15 and are difficult to find, and it
doesn't save you much when it comes to SCART adapters (RGC's adapter costs about $32 USD). BNC would be most convenient if you're using a CrossPoint for your switching, because then you could just use straight BNC cables, but a large chunk of people aren't going to want or have a CrossPoint.

So with a DE-15 port for analogue video input and a TRS jack for analogue audio input, add to that a TOSLINK input for digital audio input (from sources like the PS2 and original Xbox) and an HDMI input for digital AV input; then add a second set of everything for outputs--DE-15 for analogue video output (ideally YPbPr, RGsB, RGBS, RGBHV selectable, negating the need for an Extron 201/202/203 rxi and/or a transcoder), TRS for when you can't accommodate HDMI or TOSLINK audio, TOSLINK for when you can't accommodate HDMI audio, and, of course, HDMI for digital AV output.

With maybe a half cm to 1 cm increase in height, all of these ports can be stacked 2x1 and fit entirely on the back of the unit; and, with maybe a 1 cm increase in depth, a SCART input can fit on one of the sides (so the cable aims towards the back).

Bit of a different beast, though.
Uh, I guess the Wolf's idea of input cards really is the way to go. Let everyone customize how they'd like. I just want an HDMI input and LPF added to AV3 and the device is perfect imo, but to each their own. I know it's hard to please everyone.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

I'd be happy with just selectable LPF on VGA, I like using the device as an input switcher
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

maxtherabbit wrote:I'd be happy with just selectable LPF on VGA, I like using the device as an input switcher
That is probably the happiest of mediums. Togglable LPF on AV3, then you can run everything from a SCART switch, component switch, and HDMI via Portta/Tendak HDMI->VGA converter into something like Extron's SW VGA switchers, then route output from that into the OSSC. When the OSSC gets automatic input detection/switching, it'll be hands-off (unless you're using RGsB from an unmodified PS2, I guess; unless someone can figure out differences between YPbPr and RGsB that are detectable by the ADC).
energizerfellow‌

Post by energizerfellow‌ »

Is there any good analog detection at this point? Assuming it's all coming in on one port, you'd need a manual switch for CVBS/Svideo/YPbPr/RGsB at least, if not for RGBs and RGBHV as well. Every TV I know of still requires a manual CVBS/YPbPr switch.

Speaking of going the input modules route, are things now small/simple/cheap enough that it's possible to do "dumb" ADC converters small enough to fit in an oversized connector or cable blister? That way the OSSC could effectively become a multi-port switch with a built-in scaler, plus a series of ADC-equipped input cables. USB Type-C could provide the connector, power, and DP/HDMI alternate mode to make it work, but probably too complex and/or expensive at this point? Framebuffer probably required at that point I'd imagine.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

I might have asked before, but searching 200 pages isn't a thing I want to do:
OSSC requires an external DC power supply. A unit that outputs 5 volts DC with at least 1 Amp will work. The tip must be 2.1 x 5.5mm and centre positive. Suitable power supplies can be purchased from VideoGamePerfection.com or from any good electronics retailer.

Do not use a power supply rated for AC output, or a power supply rated higher than 5 volts DC, doing so can damage the OSSC.

Using a supply that provides less than one amp of current may cause the OSSC to reset, especially when outputting at higher resolutions. You can however, safely use a PSU rated at least one amp or higher.
Is it safe (unlikely to harm the OSSC) to run with a power supply that provides less than one amp?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

ZellSF wrote:I might have asked before, but searching 200 pages isn't a thing I want to do:
OSSC requires an external DC power supply. A unit that outputs 5 volts DC with at least 1 Amp will work. The tip must be 2.1 x 5.5mm and centre positive. Suitable power supplies can be purchased from VideoGamePerfection.com or from any good electronics retailer.

Do not use a power supply rated for AC output, or a power supply rated higher than 5 volts DC, doing so can damage the OSSC.

Using a supply that provides less than one amp of current may cause the OSSC to reset, especially when outputting at higher resolutions. You can however, safely use a PSU rated at least one amp or higher.
Is it safe (unlikely to harm the OSSC) to run with a power supply that provides less than one amp?
The OSSC will either not power on or will malfunction if you provide less current than it needs. Generally you want to exceed (at least meet) the required amperage for stable operation of whatever device you're powering.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

nmalinoski wrote:
ZellSF wrote:I might have asked before, but searching 200 pages isn't a thing I want to do:

The OSSC will either not power on or will malfunction if you provide less current than it needs. Generally you want to exceed (at least meet) the required amperage for stable operation of whatever device you're powering.
Of course, but the question is will it damage the OSSC permanently? Not powering on and temporary malfunctions it not a worry.
copy

Post by copy »

I'm having trouble with 256x240 optim. mode in Line3x and 4x on my NESRGB (with the dejitter board). I get an image that's shifted up:
Spoiler
Which settings should I try to fix this? I've tried FirebrandX's, but they don't seem compatible with my setup.

(I also sometimes have trouble getting 256x240 optim. to display anything at all. I have to fiddle with it, like switching to 320x240 optim. and back to 256x240. Generic 4:3 always works, though.)
Kez

Post by Kez »

V. backporch should be able to fix that
marqs

Post by marqs »

ZellSF wrote:Of course, but the question is will it damage the OSSC permanently? Not powering on and temporary malfunctions it not a worry.
The worst case I can think of is fw getting corrupt, but no actual hw damage.
marqs

Post by marqs »

I just pushed 2 new branches on the project repo:

* testsuite: Source code for the display test suite that was recently released (as a custom fw)
* rv-integration: Branch with the new soft-CPU integrated. Will be merged on release branch after getting thoroughly tested

Now that the soft-CPU update is almost done, it's time to get back to integrating some pending / scheduled features. The added space should enable adding many of the items tagged with #nios2_replace on the wikipage
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Just out of curiosity, how much space has the new Soft CPU freed up? How little space was remaining before it?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
marqs

Post by marqs »

bobrocks95 wrote:Just out of curiosity, how much space has the new Soft CPU freed up? How little space was remaining before it?
Before replacement code+data size was ~39kB with ~1kB left for stack (total 40kB block RAM). Now code+data size is ~31kB, i.e. 8kB less. The replacement also freed up 2 M9K blocks which could be used e.g. as character ROM (for OSD). However, zero-riscy required a much larger number of LEs than Nios II so the change wasn't without its tradeoffs, but LEs were not as badly exhausted as block RAM so it's not an issue right now (and could be further mitigated with RV32E option once SW toolchains fully support it).
Oliversum

Post by Oliversum »

So I have a bit of trouble getting through the jungle of information regarding the configuration of GBI on the OSSC using a PAL Gamecube with an RGB cable.
I can only find tutorials and settings that use the component cable, but this is no option for me, I also found the custom OSSC firmware from paulb_nl, but it won't output audio for me,
and I couldn't find the information on which GBI version and configuration to use for the recommended OSSC settings.

So my question is, are there easy to understand and foolproof settings I could get my PAL Gamecube with RGB cable, Gameboy Interface, and OSSC to display a somewhat good picture on a 1080p Sony HDTV? :shock:
I also read something about a Line x6 setting that was planned for implementation, is this a thing?
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

Oliversum wrote: So my question is, are there easy to understand and foolproof settings I could get my PAL Gamecube with RGB cable, Gameboy Interface, and OSSC to display a somewhat good picture on a 1080p Sony HDTV?
Foolproof I guess would be normal GBI version with OSSC at line2x generic mode.
Otherwise refer to my reply back in June, I believe it should still apply.
Shikore

Post by Shikore »

Oliversum wrote:So my question is, are there easy to understand and foolproof settings I could get my PAL Gamecube with RGB cable, Gameboy Interface, and OSSC to display a somewhat good picture on a 1080p Sony HDTV? :shock:
I have exactly the same setup but with a benq monitor and I managed to get emulator like pixels :D
I use GBI high fidelity with 5X line multiplication on the OSSC. The optimal settings comes from FirebrandX and are for component cables but they work perfectly with my PAL gamecube and RGB cable.

Here are the settings : http://www.firebrandx.com/OSSC/OSSC%20- ... Timing.txt
I only followed the "Output options" and "Sampling options" parts. Everything else is set at default.
The picture then is 99% flawless.
Galdelico

Post by Galdelico »

Harrumph wrote:
Oliversum wrote: So my question is, are there easy to understand and foolproof settings I could get my PAL Gamecube with RGB cable, Gameboy Interface, and OSSC to display a somewhat good picture on a 1080p Sony HDTV?
Is all the DOL editing required anything that can be done on MAC OS environments or even better through the GBI itself? Of does one necessarily need Windows and that dol2gci tool?

I realize it's quite an underwhelming thing to say in a place like this one, but in a way I can get Oliversum's feelings (last time I used GBI was when the old version was still up, and I didn't really approach it again ever since). ^^;
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

Galdelico wrote:
Harrumph wrote:
Is all the DOL editing required anything that can be done on MAC OS environments or even better through the GBI itself? Of does one necessarily need Windows and that dol2gci tool?

I realize it's quite an underwhelming thing to say in a place like this one, but in a way I can get Oliversum's feelings (last time I used GBI was when the old version was still up, and I didn't really approach it again ever since). ^^;
I am on Windows, so I can't quite speak to how this works on Mac, but I have never used any specific tool. The two options as I know it are:
1. Use "normal" GBI and launch through Swiss. Higher input lag, but you can edit settings on the GC itself.
2. Use a text editor to edit the files and command line to combine them. The Windows version of that process can be found here: https://www.retromodwiki.com/wiki/Game_Boy_Interface. You'd probably just need to see what the Mac equivalents for the commands are. More complicated, but allows you to use whichever GBI version you want and not bother with Swiss.
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

If I’m not mistaken, there is now a .dcp for each version, so you can dynamically load options for each version in swiss (though not every single option is available).
And if you want a dol+cli file, just to confirm, no need for an editor, nor command line.

You literally just paste the contents of a .cli file to the end of the .dol file with any type of text editor. As per the wiki: https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.p ... figuration
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

Harrumph wrote:If I’m not mistaken, there is now a .dcp for each version, so you can dynamically load options for each version in swiss (though not every single option is available).
And if you want a dol+cli file, just to confirm, no need for an editor, nor command line.

You literally just paste the contents of a .cli file to the end of the .dol file with any type of text editor. As per the wiki: https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.p ... figuration
I could be wrong, but I don't think that's what the wiki is saying. The copy command I mentioned earlier is the command for appending things. I had to dig through many pages of GC Forever forums to find that and that seems to be the only way that anyone has mentioned, but if it is possible to just write it at the end of a DOL file, that's certainly much easier. Although it could also be that the way I am doing it creates an auto executing DOL file, which I like because it skips the memory card screen altogether (suppose one could just rename the DOL file they have added to). This might be better asked on the GC Forever thread, though, since it has more to do with GBI than OSSC.
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

thebigcheese wrote: (suppose one could just rename the DOL file they have added to).
Yes, exactly. As long as the name is autoexec.dol, it will auto boot. And make sure there is a blank line at the end.
mario64

Post by mario64 »

Hi all. I'm using a Samsung KU6290 4K TV and have noticed I get screen tearing using line5x at 1080p. If I change to 1600x1200 or 1920x1200 the tearing goes away. My question is, which resolution is the most 'correct'? On my TV, 1600x1200 completely fills the screen on all sides as if it's displaying an actual 16x9 source (odd I know). On 1920x1200 I get pillarboxes on the left and right sides. What are the pros and cons between these two resolutions? Honestly either of these is fine but I'd prefer the one which most closely matches my 240p source from an integer scaling standpoint. Thanks!
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

they're all the same. the two 1200p options show you the full 240p area, while the 1080p version of 5x crops from 240p to 216p. On the horizontal 1600 vs. 1920 doesn't make a difference. If you can't force 1600x1200 into 4:3 on your display, use the 1920x1200 version instead.
mario64

Post by mario64 »

Fudoh wrote:they're all the same. the two 1200p options show you the full 240p area, while the 1080p version of 5x crops from 240p to 216p. On the horizontal 1600 vs. 1920 doesn't make a difference. If you can't force 1600x1200 into 4:3 on your display, use the 1920x1200 version instead.
Excellent thanks Fudoh!!!
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

On my TV, both 1920x1200 and 1600x1200 work, but I find 1600x1200 to give a more accurate 4:3 image when using the generic 4:3 mode. Or at least, one that I think looks more correct. YMMV.
omikey

Post by omikey »

Oliversum wrote:So I have a bit of trouble getting through the jungle of information regarding the configuration of GBI on the OSSC using a PAL Gamecube with an RGB cable.
I can only find tutorials and settings that use the component cable, but this is no option for me, I also found the custom OSSC firmware from paulb_nl, but it won't output audio for me,
and I couldn't find the information on which GBI version and configuration to use for the recommended OSSC settings.

So my question is, are there easy to understand and foolproof settings I could get my PAL Gamecube with RGB cable, Gameboy Interface, and OSSC to display a somewhat good picture on a 1080p Sony HDTV? :shock:
I also read something about a Line x6 setting that was planned for implementation, is this a thing?
When you installed the custom OSSC firmware, did you flash ossc_0.81-gbi2 or ossc_0.81-gbi2-aud? The former would not have sound I believe. If you have an older model of OSSC neither might have sound, but ossc_0.81-gbi2-aud works for me.

I am using the same setup pretty much. SCART with the 3x 360p mode. This requires you use gbihf-ossc.dol+cli I believe. I did not have to use any configuration parameters, and used dol2gci to create a bootable version from that one file. It looks very much like an emulated picture to me, its quite lovely.
Aleyr

Post by Aleyr »

What is the recommended JTAG programmer to use with the OSSC?
Thomago

Post by Thomago »

Don't know about recommended, but the dirt-cheap "Altera Mini USB Blaster" ones found on ebay work perfectly.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

omikey wrote:I did not have to use any configuration parameters, and used dol2gci to create a bootable version from that one file.
You didn't have to, it's already done for you.