OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ldeveraux

Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

Post by ldeveraux »

My issue may not have been specific to the PAL Gamecube SCART cable. I'm having issue with most consoles at this point. My Genesis, SMS, and SNES all have csync cables from Retro-Access and the colors are wonky. Blue is displayed red, and yellow is displayed blue in all these consoles. This was the same as with my SCART cable from RGC for the PAL Gamecube. Is there a color swap setting in OSSC that would affect this? I feel like I tweaked something in error which would cause it. For the record, I have a bunch of Bandridge switches into the OSSC SCART port set to AV1 RGBS. These output via HDMI to my TV.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

ldeveraux wrote:My issue may not have been specific to the PAL Gamecube SCART cable. I'm having issue with most consoles at this point. My Genesis, SMS, and SNES all have csync cables from Retro-Access and the colors are wonky. Blue is displayed red, and yellow is displayed blue in all these consoles. This was the same as with my SCART cable from RGC for the PAL Gamecube. Is there a color swap setting in OSSC that would affect this? I feel like I tweaked something in error which would cause it. For the record, I have a bunch of Bandridge switches into the OSSC SCART port set to AV1 RGBS. These output via HDMI to my TV.
First, have you tested any of these consoles directly into the OSSC?
MidOrFeed2015

Post by MidOrFeed2015 »

Is there a way to set Line2x 480p to 4:3? Seems to always be widescreen (passthrough will show up as 4:3).
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

MidOrFeed2015 wrote:Is there a way to set Line2x 480p to 4:3? Seems to always be widescreen (passthrough will show up as 4:3).
No need, Line2X will just increase the resolution from 720x480 to 1440x960.

Here you can clearly see that this PS2 game is not filling my widescreen TV:

Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

different TVs might handle than differently.

Also 720x480p via passthrough gets corrected to DTV aspect ratio (so 4:3) by the TV, while a 1440x960p will either remain at the 3:2 pixel ratio or will be stretched to fullscreen (depending on the TV), so yes, it's also wider than the 480p passthrough.
James-F

Post by James-F »

--

@Lawfer

Here is a quick tip.
Put your HUGE PICTURE in a 'spoiler' function so that people will be able to open it at their own will, otherwise it is so inconvenient to read the thread to say the least.
Almost as offensive as quoting the huge picture. :) :shock:

The line would look something like that:

Code: Select all

[spoiler] [img]https://i.ytimg.com/vi/8qlKUbM3kx4/maxresdefault.jpg[/img] [/spoiler]
Example:
Spoiler
PS.
It is not too late to edit your post and add spoiler to your image, you'll bring joy to many souls by doing so. :)
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

nmalinoski wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:My issue may not have been specific to the PAL Gamecube SCART cable. I'm having issue with most consoles at this point. My Genesis, SMS, and SNES all have csync cables from Retro-Access and the colors are wonky. Blue is displayed red, and yellow is displayed blue in all these consoles. This was the same as with my SCART cable from RGC for the PAL Gamecube. Is there a color swap setting in OSSC that would affect this? I feel like I tweaked something in error which would cause it. For the record, I have a bunch of Bandridge switches into the OSSC SCART port set to AV1 RGBS. These output via HDMI to my TV.
First, have you tested any of these consoles directly into the OSSC?
Yes of course I have, no luck. I shouldn't have even mentioned the switches :roll:
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

ldeveraux wrote:My issue may not have been specific to the PAL Gamecube SCART cable. I'm having issue with most consoles at this point.
Your wording is confusing. If it’s not a cable issue, then ALL your consoles should show the same symptom.
If it really is all consoles, then yes it seems more reasonable something weird is going on with your OSSC.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Harrumph wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:My issue may not have been specific to the PAL Gamecube SCART cable. I'm having issue with most consoles at this point.
Your wording is confusing. If it’s not a cable issue, then ALL your consoles should show the same symptom.
If it really is all consoles, then yes it seems more reasonable something weird is going on with your OSSC.
Yes, colors are wrong on all systems tested, SCART cable directly to OSSC. Blue is red, yellow is blue. Most commercially available cables are bought from Retro-Access except PAL GC from RGC. Panasonic 3DO cable is from Otaku where I bought the SCART mod, and Dreamcast is just a M-M SCART from RA coming from a Toro. Maybe I should reflash the firmware on my OSSC? It has the latest, 0.81-aud.
Sirotaca

Post by Sirotaca »

MidOrFeed2015 wrote:Is there a way to set Line2x 480p to 4:3? Seems to always be widescreen (passthrough will show up as 4:3).
My monitor has the same problem: it doesn't know what to do with 1440x960 so it just displays it as 3:2 with no option to force 4:3. So what I do is set "480p in sampler" to VESA 640x480 and turn on upsample2x so it outputs 1280x960, which my monitor is happy to display in 4:3. The sampling isn't optimal, but it still looks good.
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

Or you keep DTV sampling and just change h.active to 640
MidOrFeed2015

Post by MidOrFeed2015 »

not sure what I am doing wrong. This is a ps3 that is set to output 480p at 4:3 but it keeps outputting in widescreen.

I have VESA 640x480@60 set. HActive shows 640. My TV shows "1280x960" up top.

I do not think this is a ps3 issue though since my wii/xbox do the same (they are set to output "normal" via the os)
CobraKing

Post by CobraKing »

ldeveraux wrote:
Harrumph wrote:
Yes, colors are wrong on all systems tested, SCART cable directly to OSSC. Blue is red, yellow is blue. Most commercially available cables are bought from Retro-Access except PAL GC from RGC. Panasonic 3DO cable is from Otaku where I bought the SCART mod, and Dreamcast is just a M-M SCART from RA coming from a Toro. Maybe I should reflash the firmware on my OSSC? It has the latest, 0.81-aud.
Sounds like you may have a defective OSSC at this point as all of your SCART cables can't have been manufactured incorrectly. Reach out to @BuckoA51 for a replacement - he's taken care of a few people who've had problems.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Yeah of course I'll get it sorted, our website and e-mail are down right now but due back today.

If you bought it from us recently that's very odd though, since every single unit is tested using colour test on the 240p test suite.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

I apologize for wasting everyone's time with my supposed OSSC issues. Turns out, when I switched HDMI inputs, I had forgotten to turn off the video processing in my receiver. The processing was changing most of the colors. Switched that off and all is well again. Amateur mistake that wasted everyone's time and patience, my fault completely. After changing out HDMI cables, SCART cables, displays, consoles, and finally the receiver, I found the issue. Thanks to all that assisted through my brain malfunction!
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

ldeveraux wrote:I had forgotten to turn off the video processing in my receiver. The processing was changing most of the colors.
Interesting, what receiver do you use?

(I've had a low number of similar reports for GCVideo and I think I may have a fix for it)
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Unseen wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:I had forgotten to turn off the video processing in my receiver. The processing was changing most of the colors.

(I've had a low number of similar reports for GCVideo and I think I may have a fix for it)
Can the issue that CGVideo has with HDMI audio (DVI enhanced) not working on a few TVs, video processors and receivers ever be fixed?
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Unseen wrote:

I have the Pioneer Elite SC-67
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

Lawfer wrote:Can the issue that CGVideo has with HDMI audio (DVI enhanced) not working on a few TVs, video processors and receivers ever be fixed?
Do you own an affected device? Can I send you a test build?
ldeveraux wrote:I have the Pioneer Elite SC-67
Thanks.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Unseen wrote:Do you own an affected device? Can I send you a test build?
Yes I do, I can confirm that I can not get sound directly on my receiver, the Onkyo TX-SR805, This same issue also affects the Crystalio II VPS-3100/3300/3800 Video Processors, the only way I can get HDMI sound is if I hook an Extron or the Optoma HD3000 between the source and receiver.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

My sites back up and running again. If anyone e-mailed me about OSSC (or anything) in the last few days and hasn't had a reply please re-send your message.
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

BuckoA51 wrote:My sites back up and running again. If anyone e-mailed me about OSSC (or anything) in the last few days and hasn't had a reply please re-send your message.
Congrats, sounds like you had a rough week! Anyway, glad to have your website back.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Haven't checked this thread in a long while. Wanted to know : did the community find/create an affordable s-video to rgb transcoder to use on the OSSC

Don't want to shell out for the Retro Tink just for use as transcoder. hoping for something a lot cheaper for this. Are dvd recorders still the best route. And have some model number been confirmed for 240p passthrough(wether for euro or US players)

Thanks
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

FinalBaton wrote:Haven't checked this thread in a long while. Wanted to know : did the community find/create an affordable s-video to rgb transcoder to use on the OSSC
Not that I know of.
James-F

Post by James-F »

Composite/S-Video to RGBS decoder is sorely missed in retro gaming community.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Haven't checked this thread in a long while. Wanted to know : did the community find/create an affordable s-video to rgb transcoder to use on the OSSC
The RetroTINK 2X performs this function, though it needs to be coupled with a HDMI to VGA adapter too. I'm still trying to figure out why some people are getting picture jitter when using it though. With my C64 going RetroTink->OSSC it looked awesome.
Galdelico

Post by Galdelico »

BuckoA51 wrote:I'm still trying to figure out why some people are getting picture jitter when using it though. With my C64 going RetroTink->OSSC it looked awesome.
Hey Matt, did you only test the C64 or even trying the same combination of adapter and console (from the original My Life in Gaming video) resulted in no jitter whatsoever? That issue got me a bit worried, but I didn't see any major follow-up since then (at least, not on YouTube and over at VGP).
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Hey, another reason to add an HDMI input to the OSSC in the future. :wink:
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Hey Matt, did you only test the C64 or even trying the same combination of adapter and console (from the original My Life in Gaming video) resulted in no jitter whatsoever? That issue got me a bit worried, but I didn't see any major follow-up since then (at least, not on YouTube and over at VGP).
I don't have access to a NTSC NES, well, I do, but it's RGB modified and that disables composite :(

I tried PAL C64 - That did display some jitter in 3x but only before I tweaked the picture to the correct timing parameters (3x PAL seems way off by default). Also tried a 2600 a 3DO and a SNES in generic mode and they were fine for me.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

bobrocks95 wrote:Hey, another reason to add an HDMI input to the OSSC in the future. :wink:
I'd kind of like to see a future OSSC be retooled to add, or perhaps an OSSC-like alternative that adds, both digital input and analog output.

First, ditch the component input, and maybe also SCART. The DE-15/VGA connector used for AV3 is able to accommodate all of the input formats supported by the OSSC, plus composite video and YC (S-Video) if those ever get supported natively, with the correct passive adapter: BNC to DE-15 for under $15; YPbPr and RGsB component for under $10; and composite and S-Video for under $5 (again, if these are ever supported); while a SCART to DE-15 will cost you about $35 at Retro-Access (I'd link, but their custom cable configurator doesn't support sharing a custom configuration). Add to this input the low-pass filter that was used for AV1 and AV2, and allow it to be toggled on/off.

I was thinking BNC would be nice, and it has the same capability as DE-15, but a block of 5x BNC takes up more than twice the footprint of one DE-15, S-Video to BNC adapters cost between $12 and $15 and are difficult to find, and it
doesn't save you much when it comes to SCART adapters (RGC's adapter costs about $32 USD). BNC would be most convenient if you're using a CrossPoint for your switching, because then you could just use straight BNC cables, but a large chunk of people aren't going to want or have a CrossPoint.

So with a DE-15 port for analogue video input and a TRS jack for analogue audio input, add to that a TOSLINK input for digital audio input (from sources like the PS2 and original Xbox) and an HDMI input for digital AV input; then add a second set of everything for outputs--DE-15 for analogue video output (ideally YPbPr, RGsB, RGBS, RGBHV selectable, negating the need for an Extron 201/202/203 rxi and/or a transcoder), TRS for when you can't accommodate HDMI or TOSLINK audio, TOSLINK for when you can't accommodate HDMI audio, and, of course, HDMI for digital AV output.

With maybe a half cm to 1 cm increase in height, all of these ports can be stacked 2x1 and fit entirely on the back of the unit; and, with maybe a 1 cm increase in depth, a SCART input can fit on one of the sides (so the cable aims towards the back).

Bit of a different beast, though.