XRGB-mini Framemeister

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Johnpv

Re: XRGB-mini Framemeister

Post by Johnpv »

I would say make sure you're using Load and not Load_Select. When you use Load_Select it doesn't actually load all of the profiles settings, and the important ones like zoom and such are ignored.

I also find if I make changes to the SD card, I need to unplug the FM for like 10 - 15 seconds and then plug it back in, to get it to see those changes.
Kez

Post by Kez »

I feel like if the scanlines have been corrected then the profiles must have been loaded, at least to some extent.

Bear in mind that if you are outputting 480p from any of those systems then the FM may not do significantly better than going direct to your TV. Where the FM really shines is 240p and 480i. If you are using 480i, make sure the profiles you choose are the 480i ones.
broken harbour

Post by broken harbour »

Kez wrote:I feel like if the scanlines have been corrected then the profiles must have been loaded, at least to some extent.

Bear in mind that if you are outputting 480p from any of those systems then the FM may not do significantly better than going direct to your TV. Where the FM really shines is 240p and 480i. If you are using 480i, make sure the profiles you choose are the 480i ones.
for sure. I"m familiar with the FM enough that I can tell when the V scaler is changed from 4 to 5 on 480i content for example, Plus if I check settings, load a profile, and see that none of the actual settings have changed... somethings up.

now when i make my own settings and save a profile, it works, so I can make my own.
Kez

Post by Kez »

Sounds like an issue with the SD card then.. the FM can be pretty finicky about detecting profiles (but I've never had any issues once the profiles are actually detected). You could try formatting the SD card and putting them on again.

Normally when messing with the SD card I unplug the power from the FM first, leave it off until I put the SD card back in and then reboot it a couple times.

Also are you on the latest firmware? I'm not sure if the profiles are compatible across firmware versions.
FBX

Post by FBX »

broken harbour wrote: However, when i load them, nothing changes, its like i didn't select anything. it just keeps using the existing settings.
By chance did you use a Mac or other Apple product to load my profiles onto the card?

If so, that's your problem. If not, then I'm not sure why they won't load, especially if you can see them in the FM's menu. Just use "Load" (Not "Load_Select" or whatever it is) and it should work.
broken harbour

Post by broken harbour »

using a windows 10 pc and V2.03 firmware.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

I'll state again that when you update your SD card, if you don't power cycle the FM, its like it won't load it. You'll see the profiles but they won't load.
lechu

Post by lechu »

broken harbour wrote:Greetings all, I've not been on this forum for a couple years, I moved last year and only just this week found time to hook up all my old consoles and my Framemeister.

While the FBX profiles were available at the time, i never tried them, Last night I flashed to the newest firmware (v2.03) and installed the PS2/Xbox/GC profiles. (my 240p consoles are connected to a CRT.) I've installed them in the correct directory on the SD card, and I can see them and select them in the menu. However, when i load them, nothing changes, its like i didn't select anything. it just keeps using the existing settings.

Is this a known issue? I can set the Framemeister up with pretty good settings, and I was happy with the way it looked before, but I know FBX has put a ton of effort into these profiles and wanted to try them out.

I see they've corrected the scanlines on 1080p output, which is nice at least.
Did you rename the profiles by any chance? If so, did you use any spaces or underscores in their names? I did that when I first used the Framemeister, and I quickly learned that it does not like either of those.

Do you have the Zoom function turned off? If so, turn it on.
Jameson Rook

Post by Jameson Rook »

Does anyone know if the PS1 startup screen is in 240p? I'm playing my PS1 games on PS2, and the resolution switching is mildly annoying, I would use a real PS1 to bypass that issue so I would love to know if it's a seamless boot up with an actual PS1.
keremimo

Post by keremimo »

Jameson Rook wrote:Does anyone know if the PS1 startup screen is in 240p? I'm playing my PS1 games on PS2, and the resolution switching is mildly annoying, I would use a real PS1 to bypass that issue so I would love to know if it's a seamless boot up with an actual PS1.
PS1 intro is 480i on actual PS1 as well.
Jameson Rook

Post by Jameson Rook »

keremimo wrote:
Jameson Rook wrote:Does anyone know if the PS1 startup screen is in 240p? I'm playing my PS1 games on PS2, and the resolution switching is mildly annoying, I would use a real PS1 to bypass that issue so I would love to know if it's a seamless boot up with an actual PS1.
PS1 intro is 480i on actual PS1 as well.
I see, thanks for the reply! I guess I'll just stick to a PS2 then.
Jameson Rook

Post by Jameson Rook »

I've been using FBX's profiles for my consoles for almost a year and I absolutely love it, however does anyone know what kind of profiles should I use for Wii in 16:9 with scanlines and 240p PS2 games? Thanks in advance.
VincentPrice

Post by VincentPrice »

I've loaded FBX's new HDretrovision profiles onto my SD card. They load fine and having so far only tried the SNES one, it looks fantastic (SNES Jr with rgb bypass amp). However, somewhat regularly I get black screens, as if the picture's changing. I had this problem before, and the issue was either sync being set to auto or scaling. I've turned both off but the issue persists. I've gone back to my old profile and I don't have the issue there, I can play just fine. Of course, the picture isn't as pretty there. Any suggestions what could be causing this? I'm using the 720p profile connected to a 4K tv, but when the picture blacks out I don't go back to my tv's "no input" screen.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

VincentPrice wrote:I've loaded FBX's new HDretrovision profiles onto my SD card. They load fine and having so far only tried the SNES one, it looks fantastic (SNES Jr with rgb bypass amp). However, somewhat regularly I get black screens, as if the picture's changing. I had this problem before, and the issue was either sync being set to auto or scaling. I've turned both off but the issue persists. I've gone back to my old profile and I don't have the issue there, I can play just fine. Of course, the picture isn't as pretty there. Any suggestions what could be causing this? I'm using the 720p profile connected to a 4K tv, but when the picture blacks out I don't go back to my tv's "no input" screen.
Are you referring to the dropouts that tend to occur with the OSSC and Framemeister when games switch between 240p gameplay and 480i menus?
VincentPrice

Post by VincentPrice »

nmalinoski wrote:
VincentPrice wrote:I've loaded FBX's new HDretrovision profiles onto my SD card. They load fine and having so far only tried the SNES one, it looks fantastic (SNES Jr with rgb bypass amp). However, somewhat regularly I get black screens, as if the picture's changing. I had this problem before, and the issue was either sync being set to auto or scaling. I've turned both off but the issue persists. I've gone back to my old profile and I don't have the issue there, I can play just fine. Of course, the picture isn't as pretty there. Any suggestions what could be causing this? I'm using the 720p profile connected to a 4K tv, but when the picture blacks out I don't go back to my tv's "no input" screen.
Are you referring to the dropouts that tend to occur with the OSSC and Framemeister when games switch between 240p gameplay and 480i menus?
That's exactly what it looks like, except it happens during 240p gameplay. Mid-jump in Super Mario World for example.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

VincentPrice wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:
That's exactly what it looks like, except it happens during 240p gameplay. Mid-jump in Super Mario World for example.
I'm probably way off, but I wonder if that has anything to do with the SNES's jittery sync.
VincentPrice

Post by VincentPrice »

nmalinoski wrote: Are you referring to the dropouts that tend to occur with the OSSC and Framemeister when games switch between 240p gameplay and 480i menus?
That's exactly what it looks like, except it happens during 240p gameplay. Mid-jump in Super Mario World for example.[/quote]
I'm probably way off, but I wonder if that has anything to do with the SNES's jittery sync.[/quote]

I tried my old saved profile and that works fine, so that should exclude the console and cable. I'll go through the actual settings of FBX's profile to see if I can get it closer to what he has.
Sirotaca

Post by Sirotaca »

VincentPrice wrote: I tried my old saved profile and that works fine, so that should exclude the console and cable. I'll go through the actual settings of FBX's profile to see if I can get it closer to what he has.
Tried adjusting the sync level? I used to get dropouts like that when I was using a composite video sync cable until I bumped up the sync level a bit.
MidOrFeed2015

Post by MidOrFeed2015 »

For PS2, Wii, GC and Xbox, do you think running these at 480i with the framemeister would produce better results than to do line doubling 480p with the OSSC?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

MidOrFeed2015 wrote:For PS2, Wii, GC and Xbox, do you think running these at 480i with the framemeister would produce better results than to do line doubling 480p with the OSSC?
It depends on what you consider "better", as each has tradeoffs. Bob deinterlacing on the OSSC doesn't really look that good, but it's lag-free; whereas the Framemeister can do proper deinterlacing, but at the expense of about a frame of lag.

For Wii and Xbox, I don't know why you wouldn't run these in 480p full-time, unless you're doing Virtual Console games on the Wii and want them to do 240p, but then that's 240p, not 480i.
hazegray52

Post by hazegray52 »

I've tried searching for this question on the forum already, so my sincerest apology if this has been previously addressed...

Has anyone had luck hooking the GC up to the XRGB Mini via HDMI (I have Eon's GCHD adapter)? My initial thought was that the upscaler would process the digital out signal in the same manner as the official GC component cables, but I believe the component cables actually convert the digital signal to an analog one while the GCHD just pulls the pure digital signal. When I tried using HDMI input on the XRGB the results were pretty terrible...

I'm mostly just interested in this for those select GC titles that can't output a 480p signal, since I think those games look pretty good on an HDTV (at least on mine). For 480i, however, I really don't want to shell out the money for the official component cables since I already spent a lot on the GCHD, and while I think 480i looks fine upscaled to 1080p via S-video... I'd really like to have that slight bump in quality.

Thanks in advance!
crmb

Post by crmb »

Hello there, i havent checked the thread for a while now. Is there any news/plan on a new version of the xrgb ?

I tried the HLSL scanlines of Mame a while ago and the "Scanline Brightness Scale" setting make a noticeable improvement on realism. (makes the bright pixels "thicker" like on most CRT). I wish there was such a feature on the Xrgb but i guess it is not powerfull enough.
magus90

Post by magus90 »

Does anybody ever use their Xrgb Mini on their CRT's? Like a PVM?

480i is killing my eyes on my PVM 20L5. I was hoping to somehow get my Xrgb mini into my PVM, so i can convert 480i to 480p. I will get a tiny bit of lag but have much easier picture on the eyes i am hoping.

Has anybody tried this?

I assume i would need an HDMI to component converter to get the Xrgb mini into the PVM.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Of course. Linedoublers and deinterlacers haven been around long before flat screen panels became a thing. The Framemeister performs nicely on a CRT, although it's 480p output can be a little bit on the soft side. But since those D/A converter dongles cost next to nothing, certainly worth a try. You can either convert to component to the VGA and use a RGBHV to RGBs or RGsB sync converter after that. The Tendak HDMI to VGA dongle is less than $20 and any Extron RGB interface can do the sync conversion for you.
magus90

Post by magus90 »

Fudoh wrote:Of course. Linedoublers and deinterlacers haven been around long before flat screen panels became a thing. The Framemeister performs nicely on a CRT, although it's 480p output can be a little bit on the soft side. But since those D/A converter dongles cost next to nothing, certainly worth a try. You can either convert to component to the VGA and use a RGBHV to RGBs or RGsB sync converter after that. The Tendak HDMI to VGA dongle is less than $20 and any Extron RGB interface can do the sync conversion for you.
Thanks. I ordered this one. I am hoping it works well.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BB ... UTF8&psc=1

Sorry i am trying to follow you as best as i can, still new to the VGA thing.

So i could use this adapter here?
https://www.amazon.com/Tendak-Converter ... B01B7CEOVK

And then what else would i need, i don't have an extron or anything, just a GSCART. Trying to figure out what the best performing solution will be.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

the text says that it does support up and down scaling, so you're risking that this can't be disabled, thus crippling your quality.

If you use a converter to VGA like the Tendak, you need something to convert RGBHV to RGBs or RGsB so your L5 can use it. Check eBay, type in "Extron RGB" and see what's there for under $20
magus90

Post by magus90 »

Fudoh wrote:
the text says that it does support up and down scaling, so you're risking that this can't be disabled, thus crippling your quality.

If you use a converter to VGA like the Tendak, you need something to convert RGBHV to RGBs or RGsB so your L5 can use it. Check eBay, type in "Extron RGB" and see what's there for under $20
Okay i see. So something like this extron?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Extron-RGB-190 ... rk:22:pf:0

So the Xrgb mini plugs into the tendak, then the tendak gets plugged into the extron(which input?), and then i assume BNC from the extron to my PVM?

And which does the extron spit out, RGBs or RGsB? I assume that is what the dipswitch is for?

And for the dipswitches, what would they be set on? I assume the following.

Level-Off
SOG- Depends on if i want RGBs or RGsB, not sure if it matters or if i can pick what i want.
Serr-Off
DDSP-Not sure on this one for sync.
No Mon-Off
M audio-Off

Thanks for helping me with this, i really appreciate it
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

And which does this extron spit out, RGBs or RGsB? I assume that is what the dipswitch is for?
yes, whatever is easier for you. With RGBs you could route the signal through the GScartSW. RGsB on the other hand requires only three instead of four wires, but might require an extra setting step on your PVM.
And for the dipswitches
nothing you need. And if you want to see what they do, just try it.
magus90

Post by magus90 »

Fudoh wrote:
And which does this extron spit out, RGBs or RGsB? I assume that is what the dipswitch is for?
yes, whatever is easier for you. With RGBs you could route the signal through the GScartSW. RGsB on the other hand requires only three instead of four wires, but might require an extra setting step on your PVM.
And for the dipswitches
nothing you need. And if you want to see what they do, just try it.
Okay great, i will be using RGBs just for convenience.

So just worry about the RGBs/RGsB switch? And forget the others..

Awesome! I can't wait to try this out, i need to order that extron now. Are there any models better than others? Or ones i should stay away from.

Thanks again
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Or ones i should stay away from.
some of the older ones use DB9 instead of HD15 inputs. Avoid those. Most are OK and all will do what you need them to do.