Cloning the Gamecube component cable

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Syntax

Re: Cloning the Gamecube component cable

Post by Syntax »

Could use a 3.5mm video jack. It's only 4 wires for flashing tight? Nice easy neat hole..

Or even just leaving some ribbon floating inside the console so you just have to take the top off instead of a million screws to get to the bottom.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

citrus3000psi wrote:
Extrems wrote:I wouldn't be so sure.
Clearly it’s possible more updates could happen. But they will be probably be few and far between (that’s assuming there will be some) and I don’t think it warrants a update cable hanging out the console .
Assuming this isn't already the case, would it warrant a Mini/Micro USB port on the board, so you'd only have to take off the console's shell and connect a cable to perform an update?
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Lol. Suggesting a pcb rework and adding a usb header for the 2-3 potential updates is not gonna happen.

It's a good bet it'll be flashed with a usb blaster which is a 10 pin plug anyway.
arithmaldor

Post by arithmaldor »

Syntax wrote:Lol. Suggesting a pcb rework and adding a usb header for the 2-3 potential updates is not gonna happen.

It's a good bet it'll be flashed with a usb blaster which is a 10 pin plug anyway.
SPI which is 6 pin I believe
Visit Tinkerplunk for mods, repairs, and custom PCBs!
Twitter: @arithmaldor
Revolver Ocelot

Post by Revolver Ocelot »

I also got a NTSC gamecube with the gcdual mod now directly from citrus300psi and I am really happy with it. the HDMI mod is really great. perfect Image Quality. Like the Image more than the rgb scart Image with my pal gamecube over the Framemeister.

This a more academic question because I do not see a real reason to go back to RGB scart, but in case I want to that, which RGB Scart cable would be needed for that matter? My old RGB Scart cable made for a Pal System is not working on the NTSC cube. Are there some RGB Scart cable out there that are working on a NTSC cube or this impossible and if I want a analog option I Need to go S-Video?

If I am not mistaking ntsc cubes only ouput S-Video and and only the pal models have RGB but maybe some smart People found ways to Bypass that problem or is that impossible?
Kez

Post by Kez »

If you have a GCDual installed then you can use an NTSC SNES CSYNC cable for RGB, assuming JP2 is shorted on the mod board.

I'm not sure what citrus3000psi's standard install is so he may need to chime in on this, but I would guess it's configured to work with the standard SNES cable (like the ones he recommends here).
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

That's what I'm using. Works great and supports 480p :)
Revolver Ocelot

Post by Revolver Ocelot »

Ok good to know. Thanks a lot for the information :)
strayan

Post by strayan »

FBX wrote:Current HDMI solutions for the Gamecube are incapable of this level of clarity on GBI playback of GBA games (or so I'm told anyway). Indeed when I tried the new driver on EON GCHD, it ended up looking completely smeared. Very interesting how it ends up improving the PQ on the OSSC, yet makes it worse on HDMI output.
Have there been any updates or new HDMI solutions that address this issue, anyone know?

Maybe https://insurrectionindustries.com/prod ... -preorder/ ???

Edit: ah it looks like it’s a gcvideo dvi issue.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

strayan wrote:
FBX wrote:Current HDMI solutions for the Gamecube are incapable of this level of clarity on GBI playback of GBA games (or so I'm told anyway). Indeed when I tried the new driver on EON GCHD, it ended up looking completely smeared. Very interesting how it ends up improving the PQ on the OSSC, yet makes it worse on HDMI output.
Have there been any updates or new HDMI solutions that address this issue, anyone know?

So, there are a few problems going on so I will try to explain them the best I can. The GBA has a strange resolution that doesn't play nice with 240p/480p. So to get the best image quality available GBI was written using some "off spec" resolutions ie 320p etc. GC-Video DVI was incompatible as it was only setup to use 240p/480p etc signals. Unseen said at one point he had no intentions of making these off spec resoltions. As Gamecube games worked and that was his goal.

Now with GCVideo 2.5 I'm not sure if this problem (If you want to call it that) will be addressed. The chroma issue will be fixed though.

I have not checked out the most recent GBI, but the smearness I'm guessing is from the upscaling the GBI software is using to be able to get GC-Video to play nice.

Now there is fork of gc-video that chriz2600 and I have worked on. This allows for a Direct YPbPr mode, that dumps the signal off before the DVI reblanking happens. So the custom GBI resolutions work (Assuming your TV will accept them) and the chroma bug isn't an issue in the direct mode, as the YPbPr to RGB conversion never happens.

But clearly, this will not work over HDMI, just any dual output supported GC-Video device.

https://github.com/citrus3000psi/gcvideo
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

citrus3000psi wrote:
strayan wrote:

So, there are a few problems going on so I will try to explain them the best I can. The GBA has a strange resolution that doesn't play nice with 240p/480p. So to get the best image quality available GBI was written using some "off spec" resolutions ie 320p etc. GC-Video DVI was incompatible as it was only setup to use 240p/480p etc signals. Unseen said at one point he had no intentions of making these off spec resoltions. As Gamecube games worked and that was his goal.

Now with GCVideo 2.5 I'm not sure if this problem (If you want to call it that) will be addressed. The chroma issue will be fixed though.

I have not checked out the most recent GBI, but the smearness I'm guessing is from the upscaling the GBI software is using to be able to get GC-Video to play nice.

Now there is fork of gc-video that chriz2600 and I have worked on. This allows for a Direct YPbPr mode, that dumps the signal off before the DVI reblanking happens. So the custom GBI resolutions work (Assuming your TV will accept them) and the chroma bug isn't an issue in the direct mode, as the YPbPr to RGB conversion never happens.

But clearly, this will not work over HDMI, just any dual output supported GC-Video device.

What's the status on that, by the way? Looking forward to updating my GCVideo when it's done :)
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

You think I made those resolutions just for GBI?

https://files.extremscorner.org/gamecube/screenshots/grab001917.png

That's captured with the pickiest capture device ever, the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

thebigcheese wrote:
What's the status on that, by the way? Looking forward to updating my GCVideo when it's done :)
I'm somewhat waiting for unseen to release 2.5. I'm not sure what is in store for us. That's why I'm not pushing the fork on my git. As my fixes are bandaids. Not proper.
strayan

Post by strayan »

citrus3000psi wrote:
strayan wrote:

Cool thanks for such a comprehensive answer. Does the chroma issue affect any regular gamecube games or just gba?
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

It affects everything.
strayan

Post by strayan »

Extrems wrote:It affects everything.
Unacceptable! :P
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

As I understand it the chroma "issue" is just that GCVideo converts YCbCr to RGB, rather than your display doing it? I get that it can mess with some custom resolution stuff, but is it really that big of a deal for Gamecube games?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

The real issue is the timing bug in said conversion.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Ah, did not know there was a bug in the conversion. That's definitely an issue, sorry.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

Er, it was pinpointed in the last page and confirmed by Unseen.

See https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.php?title=Game_Boy_Interface/High-Fidelity_Edition#Video_quality for a clearer comparison (these are thumbnails).
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

Just to be clear, on the GCDual when using YPbPr works fine (no chroma bug). The YCbCr to RGB conversion happens at the very end the datapipe and YCbCr is dumped out before the conversion.

I just adapted GC-Video lite (doesn't have the chroma bug) YUV->RGB conversion to GC-Video DVI. And it compiled I will test later on real hardware. One negative to this is that limited RGB range is no longer an option. So I'm trying to add that back in. I'm very much an amateur at VHDL.
Last edited by citrus3000psi on Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Extrems wrote:Er, it was pinpointed in the last page and confirmed by Unseen.

See https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.php?title=Game_Boy_Interface/High-Fidelity_Edition#Video_quality for a clearer comparison (these are thumbnails).
I had forgotten about that- last page, which I should have checked, but also back in June to be fair.
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

Since I can't seem to find enough time to finish 2.5 any time soon, I've uploaded 2.4b with a single change: The 1-pixel-shift of the green color channel is fixed.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

Thank you.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Unseen wrote:The 1-pixel-shift of the green color channel is fixed.
Never heard of this issue, what was it?
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Lawfer wrote:
Unseen wrote:The 1-pixel-shift of the green color channel is fixed.
Never heard of this issue, what was it?
viewtopic.php?p=1323030#p1323030
Or
https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.p ... eo_quality

As Extrems already pointed out to me.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Unseen wrote:Since I can't seem to find enough time to finish 2.5 any time soon, I've uploaded 2.4b with a single change: The 1-pixel-shift of the green color channel is fixed.
Outstanding
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

Updated comparisons with new firmware simulation.

If you have a RGB 4:4:4 capture device, you can now bypass the interpolation in GBIHF by dropping every other column.
AetherSmyth

Post by AetherSmyth »

So... I screwed up. I'd done my own OSSC build and NESRGB installation, so I thought I'd be up to the task of building my own GCMax. I had the three copies of the PCB from OSHPark, so I had three tries at building it... all of which ended in failure. At this point I've just got to admit defeat. I do still have the 3D-printed cases/plugs and remaining PCI slots to cannibalize for pins, so if anyone more experienced wants to take a shot at this, I could send them over for the cost of shipping.

On that note, is there anyone building GCMax adapters for sale? It still seems to be the only non-invasive option to get a quality analog signal without buying official cables.
gruca

Post by gruca »

Has anyone manage to build it in Project Navigator? Not sure how to define targetconsole and firmware in it. Trying to update a cube with a xc3s200a chip, but it seems to have a different pinout than the shurikens or pluto.