Recommended Anime/Manga?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
null1024

Re: Recommended Anime/Manga?

Post by null1024 »

KAI wrote:Macross is just soup opera with mechas, and a bad one, but itano's circus...
also the 2nd half of the series is pure filler.

better watch Do You Remember Love.
the soap opera is really kicking in at this point
but it's still just hilarious

The only real issue I've had so far with the series is how badly the animation drops sometimes -- nothing like seeing four frames in six seconds, and it's something really dynamic like someone falling to the ground or whatever.
The show is just really goofy and enjoyable otherwise so far.

And yeah, I'm gonna watch DYRL.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
KAI

Post by KAI »

Udderdude wrote:Geneshaft: Science fiction anime with a big focus on genetic engineering and the future of humanity. Humans are born with a 9:1 ratio of females to males, and all reproduction is controlled by the govt. in incubation chambers.
and LOUD guitar riffs.
I always liked that one, don't know why.

rewatching Stratos 4 right now, prepairing myself for all the upcoming "girls piloting airships" series we are getting next year.
but no, seriously, is this a trend now? wtf
Last edited by KAI on Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Dragon Ball Super Ch.40

Action-packed chapter! The war on MUH TIERS continues! CRIMINAL TEAM appears, but now SUPER MAFIAS ARE ON THE RUN

The pacing cut is brutal, past efficiency down to the bone. The art visibly suffers at times, too. One truly unfortunate panel in there, along with the usual suspect handful. But it made bloodening use of what pages it had, within and without the fray. WTB happy medium. Five more pages a month would've gotten this arc up to a healthier weight, far short of the anime's excess.

My spoilers, like my love of consequences-optional hot-blooded shonen bubblegum, are real!

Spoiler

^ Good. You're a man now, not the garbage culture fucktard I loved in middle school. ;-;

Spoiler

^ SUPER BODYGUARD / SUPER CONSIGLIERE Image

Spoiler

^ You two were the same long ago, huh. :sad:
Spoiler
^ You didn't want them getting bio-roofied by a creepy old dude and having illiterate noobs calling them "androids" the rest of their lives. :cry:
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

BIL wrote:The war on MUH TIERS continues!
40 years of RESPECT THE TIERS we were raised on, both sides of the driveway, up and down.

If we don't have tiers, what do we have? Chaos.

I have faith it's all a lie. Yamcha will always amount to nothing, because he is not the chosen one.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oh no, there's still vast differences in power. It's just dialled back a bit, to be more amenable to exhaustion, and attrition, and subterfuge. Particularly with multiple parties and external factors involved. Almost like a real fight! :O

Still annoys the graphing paper set! See the gnashing and wailing last month as a hulking titan who specifically dislikes wanton violence, and is prohibited from killing by house rules... deigns to fight OL PERV at his own level! And actually learns something from the ancient master! Before promptly splattering his head on the drivew - I mean, before instantly ringing him out. But he could've splattered him, at fifty paces. He just wouldn't. Because scenario, and personality. Damn, super high-concept storytelling! Image BAN THIS SICK FILTH

Yamcha got specifically shat all over in both the anime and manga versions of this arc. Image It's not nice at all! But all sources suggest he doesn't even lift! Gotta have non-human privilege to get away with that! Image
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Dragonball having more depth than a rain puddle? Sacrilege. :lol:
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

* Horrible meager 1x EXP rate while everyone else gets a minimum of 20x. The people who actually matter get 1,000+x
* Lower level and stat caps than those other guys.
* Even when you meet the same teacher who taught THE CHOSEN ONE a sick skill months and months ago, he won't teach it to u even though you have enough SP points. Even though it'll be power crept and obsolete by the time you acquire it.
* Some of those bastards even get free EXP from getting their asses kicked. You know how many times Yamcha got his ass kicked? How much EXP did he ever get from that, huh?
* Little four year old brats get born with the "1/1000th EXP Required To Level Up" subskill, surpassing your strength before they can even walk. All because they came out of a penis with a high power level.

Man, if I were Yamcha I wouldn't lift either. That shithole universe isn't a meritocracy even a little bit.

Honestly I don't know why he even bothers to show up to these things, only to get bullied every single time. Go play some baseball. Go eat some fried chicken. Let someone else get murderated by the feeble weed monster with a power level of only 1 raditz.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oh yeah no, it's still terribly xenosupremacist that way. 3; It even suggests the only way for humans to see similar gains is via xeno-informed biomodification so gruesomely complete, it'd make a Chinese Olympics doctor weep in pity. :sad:

Still, even IRL some motherfuckers got a leg up, right? I mean a random chimp who sits around eating bark all day would tear our strongest, smartest dude's dick and balls off. Verisimilitude. >_> And a gorilla would rip the chimp's arms off! And smart money's on a grizzly skullfucking the gorilla!

IMAGINE HOW FUCKED WE'D BE IF THESE ANIMALS DISCOVERED LIFTING :O

BryanM wrote:Man, if I were Yamcha I wouldn't lift either.
Tien lifts and he upstaged everybody vs Cell mkII. If everyone else wasn't being retarded to various degrees, he would've saved the day! Image That's the highest honour any non-MC can dream of in this series, even the space monkeys and green dicks and illegally modifieds. And he made the shortlist with those, along with known clean lifters KURIRIN and OL' PERV!

Everyone should lift, or they'll be Yamcha.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Tien isn't even human he's a freak and even with all his hard work and spending all his HP to exert the same pressure those bastards with the real cheatz can by just waving their hands in the air, he still accomplished nothing.

Meanwhile, Goku's fifth kid in his crib flops over suddenly:

*ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED - FIRST TIME ROLLING ON YOUR BELLY*
*1 EXP is awarded*
*Congratulations! Courage and wit have served you well - you are now level 185.*
*Your power level has reached 11 raditz, or 2 yamchas when converted to the Earth standard power unit.*

Even the Gantz universe is less dark and nihilistic than this madness.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Incidentally, they instantly shitcanned the kids this mission for lacking maturity, just like they shitcanned Yamcha for not lifting. KURIRIN and OL' PERV are experienced AND lift, so they were shoe-ins! That's... uh, some progress, right? Image

I guess I'm okay with humans being weak at best because that's how it is IRL. I'm human, shit sucks. v-v Train all you like, animals will fuck you up. Somebody's gotta be the base that makes the chimps and gorillas and grizzlies scary. Just like poor Tien when he got choked and smooched by a renegade bioweapon who deigned to actually punch and kick his alien comrades. :sad: As long as there's some interplay among the low/mid/high tiers I'm happy. Can't expect too much interplay, it's still DB. Just marginally less self-destructively rigid this time out.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Heh, it really is DBZ Abridged. Earth on the edge of obliteration (it's always on the edge of obliteration), the kids are worth around 0.4 gokus minimum, or about 30,000 krillins...

"Kids, you're staying home this time!"
"Eh? What if everybody dies?"
"That's okay! If everybody dies, we'll just bring them back with the dragon balls!"
"But if the Earth gets destroyed, won't the dragon balls-"
"DRAGON BALLS!"
BIL

Post by BIL »

Haha, yeah. Maybe they should've come. Not very strong without fusion, no endurance with, and if the nuke-spamming chimp kills a zako they're down two members minimum, maybe worse. But baldies got bulldozed. Image I guess the bigger implication is frightened children doing something unfathomably foolish under pressure and getting their team and universe summarily executed.

Can't blame Toriyama for wanting to keep the ten-person roster varied, tbh. Buu's the real victim here, shitcanned for being too indestructible! I mean, for being in a food coma! He's dumb but obedient and they were totally gonna chance it on his Healer stat.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Udderdude wrote:Animation Runner Kuromi: It's a parody/spoof of the Japanese animation industry, complete with unreasonable deadlines, insane workloads, workplace illness due to stress, and sleazy corner cutting directors. Very fast paced and fun to watch.
Just watched this, because I had recently re-watched Shirobako and thought it'd be interesting to see another take on the same concept. Pretty good, though it was more gag-centric than Shirobako which plays it straight.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Yamcha may be a living joke, but can Yamcha with isekai cheat powers finally turn the tables?
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Durandal wrote:Yamcha
Get back in the crater.
Ghegs wrote:
Udderdude wrote:Animation Runner Kuromi: It's a parody/spoof of the Japanese animation industry, complete with unreasonable deadlines, insane workloads, workplace illness due to stress, and sleazy corner cutting directors. Very fast paced and fun to watch.
Just watched this, because I had recently re-watched Shirobako and thought it'd be interesting to see another take on the same concept. Pretty good, though it was more gag-centric than Shirobako which plays it straight.
Shirobako played it so straight, that it honestly bored me. I know a lot of people like this one, but I couldn't stand it, no matter how many times I tried to watch it .. oh well.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Durandal wrote:Yamcha may be a living joke, but can Yamcha with isekai cheat powers finally turn the tables?
Keh, getting more than 0.1 raditz from that fat slug's "power unlock" really is a cheat.

This gaiden's writing kind of fails in that it makes the same mistake a lot of fans do - they take the story (which is nonsense, even by its own rules) literally when that isn't how that world works. DBZ isn't xenosupremacist, it's typical protagonist = master race shonen stuff. The way to acquire more power isn't training or secret life hacks, it's by getting the most screen time, defeating the most raid bosses, and novelty.

So the correct route to take is to make sure to annihilate all of Goku's enemies before he can even show up, make sure to kill Vegeta before that zenkai bullshit can be established as canon, and for the love of god get Bulma and her dad working on that gravity chamber and some kinda human body modification technology to further raise your level cap pronto. A protagonist vacuum must be filled, and as the only guy accomplishing anything, you'd be Super Wolf King Yamcha in no time flat.

A couple obvious examples of how DBZ does not operate on any principle of logic:

* That time Goku had trouble with a 10x gravity field. Aka, walking around with an extra 1350 pounds on his back. This isn't anything special compared to stuff he's done and adapted to before - it only works because it's new and novel, because it entertains the audience. Just like how swimming away from sharks or playing keep away with a cat shouldn't have any special results.

* There were millions of Saiyans before Goku, all with the cheaty power of zenki (retroactively established, and then ret-conned away) and the potential of becoming "super". Most of them living lives of constant warfare against space aliens, and not one of them became anything special. Then suddenly, after hundreds of thousands of years, every single Saiyan born on earth surpasses this "legendary" feat that their entire race could not reach. This goes beyond winning the lottery a half a dozen times, it can not possibly happen by chance or effort - only by the narrative powers of the world they're living in.

Screen time + success + popularity = power.

Shonen battle series are very similar to isekai in that manner - the person who gets the most EXP (screentime, victories) becomes the strongest so they hog the most EXP.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Udderdude wrote:Shirobako played it so straight, that it honestly bored me. I know a lot of people like this one, but I couldn't stand it, no matter how many times I tried to watch it .. oh well.
I think it's just a sign of my own advancing age that I nowadays find down-to-earth animes about actual adults dealing with their (fairly) regular jobs to be more interesting than teens going on universe-saving adventures. I thought P.A.Works' other similar shows (Hanasaku Iroha, Sakura Quest) were great as well, I just gobbled them up. In a somewhat similar vein, Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii was good too, though it has a heavy otaku/anime/video game theme going on and not much about the office job that works as a background, more of a rom-com thing.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Ghegs wrote:
Udderdude wrote:Shirobako played it so straight, that it honestly bored me. I know a lot of people like this one, but I couldn't stand it, no matter how many times I tried to watch it .. oh well.
I think it's just a sign of my own advancing age that I nowadays find down-to-earth animes about actual adults dealing with their (fairly) regular jobs to be more interesting than teens going on universe-saving adventures. I thought P.A.Works' other similar shows (Hanasaku Iroha, Sakura Quest) were great as well, I just gobbled them up. In a somewhat similar vein, Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii was good too, though it has a heavy otaku/anime/video game theme going on and not much about the office job that works as a background, more of a rom-com thing.
I liked those other ones, except Sakura Quest, which was just kind of like "Welcome to the sticks, bitch". In fact, I watched all of Hanasaku Iroha and the movie, and watched Wotaku as it was airing.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Heh, I actually liked Sakura Quest a bit more than Hanasaku Iroha. I'm looking forward to the Shirobako movie. And I had hoped Hanasaku Iroha's movie would continue the story, but instead it was pretty much just an extended episode that apparently happened somewhen during the main series.

Another good one in the "working anime" genre is Bakuman.

My videos
BIL

Post by BIL »

BryanM wrote:DBZ isn't xenosupremacist, it's typical protagonist = master race shonen stuff.
BryanM pls. 3;
If everyone else wasn't being retarded to various degrees, he would've saved the day! Image That's the highest honour any non-MC can dream of in this series, even the space monkeys and green dicks and illegally modifieds.
Of course he can't be the MC aka Jesus! But he could be in the At Least They Tried, But Everyone Was Retarded bracket with literally everyone else. ;3

Granted, the bracket's hiring policy is institutionally Space Racist, so he will get the least and worst ALTT scraps. 3: But biology isn't fair. You still mustn't discourage our species' youth from lifting, any more than you would encourage them to jump into a Good Chimps (Waiting For Jesus) vs Bad Grizzly fight without expecting life-threatening ballbag damage.

Is this the nihilistic rage of the Yamcha fans...? I think Jesus is an okay dude but yeah, he is kind of a dick taking all the best scenes I suppose. 3; But he is so nice about it!
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Technically the arbitrary narrative would have warped itself around Yamcha being space jesus, descending from a xeno race of cosmic wolf people. And then all the animal people relegated to joke status coulda got a promotion. Pu'ar coulda gotten Krillin's spot as the Alpha Butt Monkey.

(Though yes granted Yamcha's ability to acquire power is greatly hampered by that ironclad rule of Shonen: the MC must appear in the first issue. The dumb kids won't know who to pretend to be, otherwise. Unfortunately smothering Goku with a pillow would lead either to becoming a Doomed Midboss, or, due to the action being incongruent with the nature of the DB universe, a Forced Genre Shift.)

A literal interpretation of the series would just require the reincarne to talk the Briefs into creating a gravity chamber and cranking that bastard up to 100x over one year to five years while the kids are still playing in the sand with the turtle geezer. According to my "rule of narrative" this wouldn't work that well - equal accomplishment does not lead to an equal result in this universe. In a rational world he would walk out strong enough to be on the brink of basic SSJ tier - but according to the world's rule of novelty you're only allowed a one to two tier strength increase from a particular form of training, measured from wherever you started from. An idealized Crossfit sorta world.

At any rate, I'm shocked this fan fiction couldn't even bring itself to have the guy latch onto Bulma like a lamprey. Whether you subscribe to the "narrative is god" or "the DB world has actual rules that mean anything (lol)" camp, anyone in that situation would put that down as one of the top three priorities you have to do if you're a yamcha.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

I read through Devilman.
what a trip
Really enjoyed it. A gripping tale of justice struggling against the odds. Really stylish art at times. The plot twist was mildly goofy, but it worked.
Starts off like it's gonna be very monster of the week, then it shifts into more focused, directly flowing narrative.
I'd really say it's a true classic. Gripped me from start to finish.

mostly decided to read it because a buddy started reading Devilman Lady, and got me interested
I started reading it too right after finishing Devilman, and it's a bit much. Still interesting and compelling, but hot damn, it's got an absurd amount of rape in it. Still, it's solidly written and interesting so far. I'm on volume 6.
they mention some connection to the original series early on, but that just flat out doesn't make sense with the events of the original Devilman, and I'm curious if that's gonna get explained

edit:
Spoiler
oh hey, it does get explained
I'm reading the bit where Lady and the original Devilman are together in Hell. Shit's fucking cool right now.
Last edited by null1024 on Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
BIL

Post by BIL »

BryanM wrote:Whether you subscribe to the "narrative is god" or "the DB world has actual rules that mean anything (lol)" camp, anyone in that situation would put that down as one of the top three priorities you have to do if you're a yamcha.
I prefer a bit of both with shonen/misc silly fighting action. Jesus and The Devil beat everyone, because narrative. Jesus's fellow superhumans beat humans and can enjoy the occasional juicy At Least They Tried, because narrative. Humans beat nobody, but can aspire to ALTT scraps, because narrative. Too meta and my OC Punished General Blue (a gay Nazi denied his homeland) is BTFOing The Devil. Too literal and it's graphing paper/muh tiers-addled strangulation ("HOW CAN OL' PERV GIVE THE DEVIL MORE TROUBLE THAN CSSBJXVIIIMCLMXII JESUS DID").

As long as Batman isn't beating Superman's ass unaided, you know?

As for Yamcha - he was told the time and place of his future slaughter alongside two strong comrades plus a space monkey and green dick more powerful than all of them. And he still showed up, rather than let Jesus go it alone. Everyone laughs at him getting his spine shattered and his guts gored, and all I can think is: you heartless fucks! That's the reality of space racism, and rather than run away, he faced it head-on! Cruel world. Image
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Hellsing: Classic tale of some asshole vampire named Alucard that talks down to lower, trash scum vampires before killing them while looking ridiculously cool in the process. Also, there's some police woman that gets turned into a vampire that we're supposed to relate to, or something. Who cares? Just watch Alucard act like a smug prick to everyone.

Green Legend Ran: Halfway through watching this one, I realized I had already watched it way back in the day, but completely forgot. I only remembered because of one scene in the middle of OVA episode 2. Anyway, some alien guys showed up in giant needle-shaped spacecraft, landed, and sucked up all the planet's resources. Apparently because humanity is a bunch of jerks and ruined the place. So, no more resources for you. Everyone is struggling to survive in what is now a desert planet.

Battle Angel Alita: Dystopian science fiction OVA with lots of action, blood, violence and angst. It takes place in a junkyard/dump city underneath a giant floating technological paradise, basically living off of it's scraps. Life is harsh, brutal and everyone is barely scraping by. Everyone dreams of getting to the flying utopia, but it doesn't seem so easy.

Space Pirate Captain Herlock: Outside Legend - The Endless Odyssey: I'm going to annoy everyone by posting the full title of this. Harlock's crew has basically broken up, the last of the space pirates have been arrested. Suddenly, some ancient evil is awakened, and Harlock has to get the crew back together to fight this new threat. It's a mix of sci-fi and supernatural/horror that's done pretty well. The main villian's tactic is to drone out "Nuuuuuuuu", while causing entire planets worth of people to go insane with fear and start violently killing each-other.
Ji-L87

Post by Ji-L87 »

KAI wrote:
Udderdude wrote:Geneshaft: Science fiction anime with a big focus on genetic engineering and the future of humanity. Humans are born with a 9:1 ratio of females to males, and all reproduction is controlled by the govt. in incubation chambers.
and LOUD guitar riffs.
I always liked that one, don't know why.

rewatching Stratos 4 right now, prepairing myself for all the upcoming "girls piloting airships" series we are getting next year.
but no, seriously, is this a trend now? wtf
Huh.
I knew of the second show but not Girly Air Force. Not entirely sure how I feel about that one, but then again I DO like Aozora Shoujotai/Airbats.
Speaking of which, what was the general consensus here about Girls und Panzer? During a local con two weeks ago I fell back into that shit hard and ended up getting the TV series and the movie (1st movie I guess, there is this whole Final thing I haven't seen yet) and can't get the theme song out of my head.

Hopefully those two shows will end up like that, but I remain somewhat sceptical.

Oh, and Stratos 4 is kinda nice. In it's own way. And weird, in it's own way. Never change Studio Fantasia....oh right, you guys went under. :?
CHECKPOINT!
KAI

Post by KAI »

What a coincidence I started watching Girls und Pantsu a few days ago and I'm liking it a lot (mostly because it reminds me why I love the Panzer Front franchise). IMO this is by far the best military otaku bait show out there.

RIP Studio Fantasia, I should rewatch Aika one of these days.
Ji-L87

Post by Ji-L87 »

KAI wrote:RIP Studio Fantasia, I should rewatch Aika one of these days.
Did they ever do anything remotely as good as the original AIKa OVA? It seems like they tried a bunch of times and never could get lightning to strike twice.
I guess that would be Stratos 4? Did they make anything else interesting I'm forgetting?
CHECKPOINT!
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Ji-L87 wrote:Speaking of which, what was the general consensus here about Girls und Panzer? During a local con two weeks ago I fell back into that shit hard and ended up getting the TV series and the movie (1st movie I guess, there is this whole Final thing I haven't seen yet) and can't get the theme song out of my head.
Pretty sure I watched it all as it was airing .. of course, the entire concept is silly, but it's fun to watch anyway. Vast majority of characters outside of the main team are paper-thin, and even the main team isn't exactly fleshed out. But that's ok, because the tank battles are great and the comedy/SoL scenes are well-done.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

So. I'd like to rewatch me some Dragonball and DBZ. I read a good bunch of mangas(but not all) from both when I was young and saw a good bunch of episodes(but not all) for both as well.

Wanted to know, regarding DBZ episodes : are there some entertaining bits and good character development in the filler bits of OG DBZ? Or am I better off with Kai?

And are there BD50 versions out now with the whole series on not-too-many discs, for both Dragonball and DBZ/Kai?
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Grand Blue anime ended, fun series. Does anyone know if it covered the whole manga? I'm interested in reading it, if it didn't.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...