CPS2 digital AV interface

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
XeD

Re: CPS2 digital AV interface

Post by XeD »

I found this project via retrorgb. You can add me for 1 possibly 2 of these kit. Love to add these to my no cd superbios kit.
blazemore

Post by blazemore »

Wow I definitely want one
Dlang1987

Post by Dlang1987 »

I would love one for my CPS2 and one for my CPS3 boards! I understand the FPGAs are in short stock, but will a pre-order system be created? Thank you for another amazing addition to the community!
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

BuckoA51 wrote:We were all ready to go with DIY kits and installs to follow shortly after, but those darn 10CL025YE144C8G FPGAs are just out of stock everywhere.
The 10CL025YE144CI7G will also work but is 30% more expensive. I actually just ordered 100 today for the DCHDMI boards. I want to release in Q4 and don't want to wait on the C8G.
modology

Post by modology »

Please put me on the list as well. I am interested in 1 cps2 kit and 1 cps3 kit. Cheers
Dlang1987

Post by Dlang1987 »

citrus3000psi wrote:
BuckoA51 wrote:We were all ready to go with DIY kits and installs to follow shortly after, but those darn 10CL025YE144C8G FPGAs are just out of stock everywhere.
The 10CL025YE144CI7G will also work but is 30% more expensive. I actually just ordered 100 today for the DCHDMI boards. I want to release in Q4 and don't want to wait on the C8G.

Haha I saw your tweet and knew this was the order you were talking about! I am very excited that the dchdmi is coming to fruitation as well!
paalfe

Post by paalfe »

Please put me on the list for 1x CPS2 kit.
Last edited by paalfe on Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KingSopz

Post by KingSopz »

Please put me down for a CPS2 kit :D
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Do you think there's enough interest here to warrant me doing a waiting list? I'm not going to do pre-payment but at least that means people can guarantee a unit if they put their name down rather than having to scramble in a mad rush. Note the list would be for DIY only at the moment as I'll need to sort installs later.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

BuckoA51 wrote:Do you think there's enough interest here to warrant me doing a waiting list?
As long as it's a pre-built board that just needs installation (not assembly), then I think there's enough interest to make it worth your time. I can't imagine someone owning a full CPS2 kit not wanting to something like this...it just seems like the perfect addition.
cr4zymanz0r

Post by cr4zymanz0r »

I'd be interested in a waiting list if it's needed for me to get one soon after "release". What I'm also hoping for is some kind of internal power board to add so a barrel connector can be added to plug in an external power brick to power it. As it stands, right now even if I had the HDMI mod board I'd still have to hook up my supergun to power it. I suppose I could probably get a picoPSU and mod that in, but that seems like it'd be overkill.
undamned

Post by undamned »

cr4zymanz0r wrote:What I'm also hoping for is some kind of internal power board to add so a barrel connector can be added to plug in an external power brick to power it. As it stands, right now even if I had the HDMI mod board I'd still have to hook up my supergun to power it. I suppose I could probably get a picoPSU and mod that in, but that seems like it'd be overkill.
I've got some left over from when I was making consolized CPS2s. Lemme dig those out.
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
strygo

Post by strygo »

I'm interested in one as well. Maybe I'll have a complete collection by then. :)
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

Hey, I read about this via UD's post on A-P, before I wasn't too interested (I mean it's awesome, but I have a HAS and OSSC that work great), but if you were able to put the power inside so it's a fully transportable, ready to go system, well..

Please put me on the interested list!
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

Yep in that case please put me on the list as well.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

That would be awesome to be able to sell a power adapter as well. All that would be needed then is some way of hooking up the controllers.
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
undamned

Post by undamned »

BuckoA51 wrote:That would be awesome to be able to sell a power adapter as well. All that would be needed then is some way of hooking up the controllers.
I've got a whole kit in the works. Basically a 2.0 and DIY version of what I was doing a few years back. Targeting later this year.
-ud
cr4zymanz0r

Post by cr4zymanz0r »

undamned wrote: I've got a whole kit in the works. Basically a 2.0 and DIY version of what I was doing a few years back. Targeting later this year.
-ud
Do tell. I'd like to know all the details you're willing to provide :)
Also, does it take into account the potential conflict between 6 button fighting games and 4 player games that have 4 JAMMA buttons? (D&D games being the ones I know of). More detail in the "controllers" section of another post so I don't just copy paste a lot of it here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61912
Greenalink

Post by Greenalink »

undamned wrote:
BuckoA51 wrote:That would be awesome to be able to sell a power adapter as well. All that would be needed then is some way of hooking up the controllers.
I've got a whole kit in the works. Basically a 2.0 and DIY version of what I was doing a few years back. Targeting later this year.
-ud
I read that other thread on the info of the 2.0 kits and I will say that I am definitely interested to be on that list, even if Capcom has finally decided to release both Battle Circuit and Armored Warriors to modern consoles and PC next week.

I will still keep the previous gear (Power brick, USB-Decoders, RGB Supergun) for arcades that don't get the same amount of consolised love like Taito F3
mr. newbie

Post by mr. newbie »

undamned wrote:
-ud
That's very exciting news. Definitely going to be picking one up when it becomes available.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

mr. newbie wrote:undamned wrote:
BuckoA51 wrote:
That would be awesome to be able to sell a power adapter as well. All that would be needed then is some way of hooking up the controllers.

-ud

That's very exciting news. Definitely going to be picking one up when it becomes available.
Yes I'd very much like one too and would also be interested in being a reseller if you're looking for them.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

Ordering CPS2 boards today. My darksoft kit should be arriving soon too. :shock:
cr4zymanz0r

Post by cr4zymanz0r »

citrus3000psi wrote:Ordering CPS2 boards today. My darksoft kit should be arriving soon too. :shock:
Going to be selling any populated extras? ;)
undamned

Post by undamned »

BuckoA51 wrote:
undamned wrote:I've got a whole kit in the works. Basically a 2.0 and DIY version of what I was doing a few years back. Targeting later this year.
-ud
Yes I'd very much like one too and would also be interested in being a reseller if you're looking for them.
Yeah, we should be able to work something out :D
-ud
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

cr4zymanz0r wrote:Going to be selling any populated extras? ;)
I'm not ordering a stencil or anything so its all hand soldering. Not sure if I will build more than one for my personal use. Maybe if I get some extra time, but can't promise anything.
mtn360

Post by mtn360 »

Hey folks,

a while back I was lucky enough to have zeruel85 assembling a digital AV interface and pre-install it into an A board he got for me as well (you rock man!) ..

I'm very happy with the thing (thanks marqs for the board design + software) and zeruel85 again for the installation.

It was until just recently tho that I realized some issues with A/V getting out of sync on my LG OLED over time. In fact, if I keep it running for a few minutes the lag keeps adding up to multiple seconds and counting.

I tried it on my capture card as well for some streaming. Instead of A/V going out of sync, I was getting some distortion in a fixed interval (maybe every 1-2 sec, can't recount) ...

From a pure listening diagnose it seems like the audio egressing from the interface is not fully fitting the buffer size expected by the receiver. I might be totally wrong tho!

Maybe zeruel85 can recall which version he installed on the board?

Any suggestions are highly appreciated as I wanted to make another (more in-depth) demo of the board. I did a quick test recording before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-UKe9wtjHU

I recorded the issues with both setups, direct recording from capture card + camera recording of my tv. Please use headphones when listening to both, as you might not hear the gap/distortion within the audio captures.

https://mega.nz/fm/97RkTaSI
marqs

Post by marqs »

The board outputs audio at 48.19kHz (2x CPS2 native rate) which is a bit higher than nominal 48kHz. That small difference shouldn't matter as all relevant regeneration parameters are sent along the auidio stream, but apparently there are some sinks that can't handle it properly. A couple potential solutions come to my mind. First one is to fix output rate to 48.0kHz and drop some of the duplicated input samples periodically which should be possible with both 1.0 and 2.x boards although with former some inaccurary may persist. Second solution would be using ASRC chip (primarily meant for CPS3) found in 2.x boards to resample signal to 48.0kHz assuming the chip can handle somewhat unorthodox I2S stream coming from CPS2.

Speaking of audio, I traced the issue I had with CPS3 to signal noise. Shielding BCK line should fix that, and I also added a schmitt trigger buffer there for maximum robustness in v2.1 board. The FPGAs are also back in stock and the order process for 100 pre-assembled boards should start any day now.
borti4938

Post by borti4938 »

Why not doing the resampling by your own inside the FPGA? If you have some resources left (one M9K block for the filter you have to have) and can generate 24.576MHz for processing pipeline I can provide you the code I made for the N64 for testing.
marqs

Post by marqs »

borti4938 wrote:Why not doing the resampling by your own inside the FPGA? If you have some resources left (one M9K block for the filter you have to have) and can generate 24.576MHz for processing pipeline I can provide you the code I made for the N64 for testing.
Actually I talked with DewmanSNK about that a while ago, and yes, that should be possible as there are ~20 M9Ks available and accurate 24.576MHz audio master clock can be generated on v.2.x boards. The idea was to have SRC4190 option on the PCB to enable ASRC until that gets implemented on the FPGA, after which it the chip be bypassed with SMD jumpers. It'd be great if you can share your code as that'd speed up development of audio side!
borti4938

Post by borti4938 »

Here you are: https://www.dropbox.com/s/h5xs60rizrl42 ... e.zip?dl=0

Some notes:
  • I assume a 24.576MHz input clock on AMCLK_i.
  • Asynchronuous inputs are ASCLK_i, ASDATA_i and ALRCLK_i.
  • The N64 uses a BU9480F audio DAC
    • see datasheet for waveforms.
    • You may have to adapt this for the CPS2.
    • Input bit width is 16bit, which is assumed by FIR filter.
  • I programmed it in such a way that after acquiring the first sample a 96kHz impuls is generated for the FIR filter on APDATA_VALID.
  • I used a IntelFPGA IP for the FIR filter. I have included a single channel and a two channel version in the zip-file.
    • FIR coefficients are provided in separate folder. At the moment I use version 2.
    • Output words have 24bits; from result I removed the two MSBs.
  • Output of the FIR filter is downsampled to 48kHz afterwards.
  • Output format on ASCLK_o, ASDATA_o and ALRCLK_o is 24 bit left justified (see ADV7513 programming manual)
Audio level seems to be ok for the N64, however, I have not exhaustively tested the implementation. If you want to lower or higher the audio volume, you can include a multiplier at the FIR output.