Re: Daisenpu/Twin Hawk

Post by Kollision »

Daisenpu Custom, Normal

Kollision - 1,506,400 - 2-7 - Yes - PC Engine Duo-R

Despatche

Post by Despatche »

And there it is.

Not sure why I thought your other score was too high, must have fudged my math.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

There is no beating Kollision when it comes to the various incarnation of this game, I'm afraid. I tried my best, though. :mrgreen:

Daisenpu Custom, Normal

Perikles - 1,412,250 - 2-6 - Yes - PC Engine Duo-R
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Daisenpuu - Arcade

Perikles - 1,740,400 - 3-47 - Yes - MAME Plus! v0.168

Video

PCE HuCard - Normal

Perikles - 1,815,200 - 4-4 - Yes - PC Engine Duo-R

PCE CD/Daisenpuu Custom - Normal

Perikles - 2,922,000 - 4-7 - Yes - PC Engine Duo-R

One last agglomeration of older scores. Wanted to wait until I get presentable MD Daisenpuu scores as well, but I don't have any inclination to play shmups in general right now, nor Daisenpuu MD in particular. I'm really happy with the above scores considering how rough the game and its various incarnations were to me at first, later loops are especially tricky.
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Daisenpuu (MD & Easy)

Perikles – 1,800,760 – 14 – Ext. – Japanese Cart

Daisenpuu (MD & Hard)

Perikles – 1,170,300 – 10 – Ext. – Japanese Cart

Vengeance is finally mine! It only took five years, but now I've 2-ALLed every 16-bit Toaplan shmups whenever there is a second loop. This one is indubitably the hardest one to do so as you need precise routes in order to stand a chance against the harrowingly fast bullets and massive hitbox. External autofire is mostly irrelevant except for pointblanking a few bosses, which are completely ridiculous otherwise. Loop 3 on Hard and loop 4 on Easy have bullets about as fast as those in Same! Same! Same! 1P arcade, it's rather bemusing. You do turn into faster ships, though!

Really wish they had crafted some sort of alternative mode (think Slap Fight Special) with these faster ships, it's a ton of fun to deftly cross the screen in Daisenpuu for a change. With the Same! Same! Same! 1P arcade bullet speed on loops 3 (Hard) & 4 (Easy), it doesn't matter much anymore, unfortunately.
maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

Daisenpuu - Arcade

maximo - 827,240 - 2-22 - Yes - ARCADE 0.214

(I apologize for the messed up scoreboard. I don't why it happens ( since it will zero out scoreboards of other games I play like Hishou. I probably fucked up a setting somewhere in the last week, but I'll try reinstalling to fix the issue).

I played this very briefly a year ago & got stuck at the two gunboats you encounter after dealing with the humongous battleships. But I decided to come back after playing some hishou, and worked out a strat for that section that worked pretty well for survival ( along with two planned bombs on the final boss to get rid of 2 of the 3-shot spread turrets asap). On this run, I actually got very lucky on that section and only needed one bomb to move forward, and managed to get my final boss strat to work. Gotta practice more of loop 2 to be honest since I could have gotten way further.

Unfortunately, I only recorded the run from shortly after those two sea gunboat midboss section, so Im uploading a seperate run to show most of the early game, despite it being pretty sloppy. I will keep playing this a little bit more to get a complete run, but at least I got the 1cc for now!

1cc run here: https://youtu.be/P6Fi40FKLX4
Early-mid game strats (from another run i did afterwrds, does not clear): https://youtu.be/OAPd-x7X-fo

PB improvement 1-13-2020: Very small pb improvement ( but posting it since I have a complete run this time)

Daisenpu - Arcade

maximo - 835,520 - 2-27- Yes - ARCADE 0.214

Full replay: https://youtu.be/OaNT-RibqXo
Last edited by maximo310 on Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

Edit (1.14.2020) : Made it to the midway point of loop 2. This boss is actually not that bad; I played very sloppily at the end there, but for recovery, you could probably get away w/ 2 firebombs & have enough room to take out the smaller tanks ( despite the increased enemy firing rate)

Daisenpu - Arcade

maximo - 955,740 - 2-34- Yes - ARCADE 0.214

Full replay: https://youtu.be/XBh1tAf0Vl0
NMS

Post by NMS »

Got the 1-ALL and managed to play a bit of loop 2.

Daisenpu - Arcade
NMS - 822,590 - 2-28 - Yes - ShmupMAME v4.2

Replay: https://youtu.be/a9oif9jB_LQ
SPM

Post by SPM »

Daisenpu - Arcade
SPM - 784,470 - 2-14 - Yes - MAME - Replay

Twin Hawk - Arcade
SPM - 573,790 - 2-08 - Yes - MAME - Screenshot

I think I preferred Daisenpuu over Twin Hawk, it's better designed and balanced, but the latter was more intense during the run, less sleepy (but to be fair, this was mostly caused by the OST, which almost ruined the game for me. It doubles down on the repetitive nature of the game. Thankfully turning the volume way up makes up for it, and the sound effects are powerful and satisfying).

I'm not sure which one was harder though, probably Twin Hawk. I've noticed 5 key differences between both versions:

Two that make Twin Hack easier
- instant respawns (lets you avoid checkpoint hell, but you'll have to deal with tough parts underpowered after a death)
- slower big blue bullets (particularly important during the last boss, and the first one if you don't speedkill it)

And three that make it harder
- too much HP (some enemies may not die even with autofire)
- worse visibility of small orange bullets (they're yellow-ish in Daisenpuu, with more contrast against the background)
- higher rank (enemies start shooting sooner and bullets are faster)
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Steven

Re: Daisenpuu/Twin Hawk

Post by Steven »

Oh cool, Daisenpuu. I like this game and I 1CCed the MD version recently on my first try on the day I bought the game. I used the helpers, though, so I never submitted my score, which leads me to...
Despatche wrote:please don't use Helpers, though I'm starting to wonder if you "have" to for some of the ports...
I found several parts of the MD version to be very difficult without them, and by that I mean I was completely stuck until I used them. I am not sure if I am just bad/inexperienced or if the MD version suffers from the smaller screen. Maybe (probably?) both, but I'll see about doing another run tonight to see how it goes.
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

Helpers?
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Helpers are one of this game's bombs, they're the friendly planes that you get when you press button 2 once.
Steven wrote:I found several parts of the MD version to be very difficult without them, and by that I mean I was completely stuck until I used them. I am not sure if I am just bad/inexperienced or if the MD version suffers from the smaller screen. Maybe (probably?) both, but I'll see about doing another run tonight to see how it goes.
Yep, this is exactly what I'm afraid of. The MD version seems a lot more terrifying than the arcade version, not sure about the PCE versions yet. I'm also unsure if you can do a version of the helper exploit in it, but I assume you can.

Toaplan, why didn't you just put a timer on the damned things...
Steven

Re: Daisenpu (Twin Hawk)

Post by Steven »

Damn, I just now realized that I forgot to play the game again. I'll try to get around to it here tonight or tomorrow when I get some time and see how I can do without the helpers. I didn't know there was a bomb in the game at the time because I didn't read the instructions or anything, though, so that might change things a lot.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Yeah, a lot of people miss that. It's surprising, you'd think most people would discover it on accident just by fatfingering button 2, which I'm pretty sure is how I found out about it...
Steven

Post by Steven »

I never bothered to check out the game's attract mode, so maybe and hopefully the bomb is in there somewhere. Normally I check out attract modes because I like watching them for some reason, but for this game I just... didn't.

I don't know about this MD version. I generally like the MD games that Toaplan did in-house, but this game seems to suffer from the reduced screen size more than the rest of the vertical games, so I am still kind of undecided about this version. It's still probably better than the sadistic MD Kyuukyoku Tiger, though that one was outsourced... and I actually kind of like that version because of how crazy it is.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

I've got no idea who did MD Daisenpu anymore. I always thought it was Sega CS people, but it may have been Toaplan themselves. Would certainly explain the weird new stuff, just like MD Zero Wing, which Toaplan does take credit for.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Toaplan did MD Daisenpuu in-house. The other day I had Iwabuchi-san sign my MD copy and he was like "Daisenpuu? I didn't do that... OH WAIT YES I DID! I did the MD version!". Doesn't get any better than hearing directly from one of the dudes that worked on it.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Fair enough. Can't imagine who else would want to put in something like that fancy intro except Toaplan themselves.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Well, using a lot of continues I managed to no helper no bomb my way all the way to near the end of stage 4 on hard, where I ran out of continues and had no save states because I was playing on the Analogue Pocket, so theoretically it should be possible to at least no helper the MD version on hard and probably also no bomb it, but it's going to be difficult.

The bosses, if you can call them that, are very scary since you have basically no room at all due to the reduced screen height, as is the end of stage 3, which is probably the hardest part of the game and where I used about half of my continues. The cube things at the end of stage 4 are also quite annoying, and the internal autofire is not especially fast, even when pointblanking, but I found that if I pointblank while doing my best Takahashi Meijin impression that they died surprisingly fast. This is where I used the other half of my continues.

I don't know if the helpers can break the game on MD like on the arcade version, but I'm very hesitantly going to say they probably won't completely break the game. Probably.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

"Probably", huh? I bet that's what Toaplan said right as Taito was beginning to manufacture boards of the arcade version...

My question is what the loops look like. The loops are kinda funny in this MD version because eventually your ship sprite starts changing. I think it's loops 3 and 4 that do this.

And yes, this is absolutely a game that benefits from external autofire. I wouldn't blame anyone for using it, it's not any less of a "cheat" than it supposedly is for arcade games.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Yeah, you first become a helicopter, then a thing that somewhat looks like the F/A-18, and then finally a flying wing like the Go-229/Ho-IX/B-2 and then back to the regular Daisenpuu plane. It looks like you become faster as your aircraft upgrades, which is probably a necessity at that point because the enemy shots become very fast.