Pre-configured 1-Frame of Lag ShmupArch With Video Guide

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
KaizaCorp

Re: Pre-configured 1-Frame of Lag Retroarch Ready to Go!

Post by KaizaCorp »

It could be that the second instance doesn't work with certain games in 1.7.3, but it's just not reporting the error or enabling the second instance. For what it's worth, I couldn't tell a difference turning second instance on with Strikers 1945 in 1.7.3.
Mark_MSX

Post by Mark_MSX »

KaizaCorp wrote:It could be that the second instance doesn't work with certain games in 1.7.3, but it's just not reporting the error or enabling the second instance. For what it's worth, I couldn't tell a difference turning second instance on with Strikers 1945 in 1.7.3.
Ahhh, it will be interesting to see the differences between the two versions
Jared1999

Post by Jared1999 »

Does Retroarch works with autofire?
Mark_MSX

Post by Mark_MSX »

Jared1999 wrote:Does Retroarch works with autofire?
Yes but it is kind of weird to setup, I 'll include how to do it in the setup guide I am working on
Mark_MSX

Post by Mark_MSX »

Mark_MSX wrote:
Shelcoof wrote:Okay... so I just realized I have no idea how to use this.

A quick guide on how to set things up?
Yes, I 'll make one tonight, good idea.

Sorry it took longer than expected, but here is a video showing the setup process. I think it will be super helpful.

https://youtu.be/4eytz2nHC_I
Shelcoof

Re: Pre-configured 1-Frame of Lag Retroarch Ready with Vid G

Post by Shelcoof »

Very nice
No worries we are all busy with regular day to day life obligations

Contributions like these help out guys like me who aren't good at these things

Much appreciated
Thank you
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

Hi, I just wanted to post and say thank you for this!
Mark_MSX

Post by Mark_MSX »

XtraSmiley wrote:Hi, I just wanted to post and say thank you for this!
Thanks so much man, I sincerely appreciate it! Really glad to hear my work is helping people out and hopefully making shmups a little more accessible.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Wow... just finished watching it... subbed to your channel btw :)

The video was a lot more detailed than I thought... great info indeed.

Unfortunately I came home today from work to find my emulation laptop dead.
A bit of a set back but I feel confident I can get this up and running on my desktop.

Question though. Is Retroarch picky when it comes to romset? I'm at 193 I believe
Mark_MSX

Post by Mark_MSX »

Shelcoof wrote:Wow... just finished watching it... subbed to your channel btw :)

The video was a lot more detailed than I thought... great info indeed.

Unfortunately I came home today from work to find my emulation laptop dead.
A bit of a set back but I feel confident I can get this up and running on my desktop.

Question though. Is Retroarch picky when it comes to romset? I'm at 193 I believe
It can be at times, but overall I haven t run into too many rom set problems. Thank you for the sub! Every single one counts at this stage for me haha.
poptart

Post by poptart »

I wonder what the system reqs are for this? I set everything up right then as i launch game retroarch just crashes.
Mark_MSX

Post by Mark_MSX »

poptart wrote:I wonder what the system reqs are for this? I set everything up right then as i launch game retroarch just crashes.
What game are you playing? It could be a compatibility issue. Wish I knew the system reqs exactly, but I d say if your pc can run a ps3 era game, like street fighter 4, it should run this just fine
poptart

Post by poptart »

Mark_MSX wrote:
poptart wrote:I wonder what the system reqs are for this? I set everything up right then as i launch game retroarch just crashes.
What game are you playing? It could be a compatibility issue. Wish I knew the system reqs exactly, but I d say if your pc can run a ps3 era game, like street fighter 4, it should run this just fine
yeah my hardwares old but competent but my graphics is onboard nvidia shite so it's probs that i guess.
Mark_MSX

Post by Mark_MSX »

poptart wrote:
Mark_MSX wrote:
yeah my hardwares old but competent but my graphics is onboard nvidia shite so it's probs that i guess.

Defintely possible. Try running DDP international, if that works it might have just been a Rom incompatibility problem.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

Here's a question, does your build work on Mac OS X, or is it Windows only? I think RA is available for OS X, but not sure if the core program is totally different.

Thanks again.
Mark_MSX

Post by Mark_MSX »

XtraSmiley wrote:Here's a question, does your build work on Mac OS X, or is it Windows only? I think RA is available for OS X, but not sure if the core program is totally different.

Thanks again.
Hey man! I bet I could create a mac version, but sadly I do not own one. Hmmm, maybe I could create a guide on the process that you could copy maybe? I like the idea of having a mac version available
KaizaCorp

Post by KaizaCorp »

Copying over just the config files should work for Mac, if it's layed out the same?
Mark_MSX

Post by Mark_MSX »

KaizaCorp wrote:Copying over just the config files should work for Mac, if it's layed out the same?
I think there would be more to it, I m afraid. Do you have a mac kaiza? Of you do we could work together on a solution.
KaizaCorp

Post by KaizaCorp »

I would've thought for the retroarch side of things all it knows about its the config files. I'll try on my air when I get a chance.
Mark_MSX

Post by Mark_MSX »

KaizaCorp wrote:I would've thought for the retroarch side of things all it knows about its the config files. I'll try on my air when I get a chance.
Defintely worth a try. The thing is that the system has been configured in addition to the game config files. So if you can get the system config (if there is such a thing) that would be great! I 'll look and see what I can figure out
KaizaCorp

Post by KaizaCorp »

That should all be captured within the retroarch.cfg right? Maybe just using parts of it so OS specific paths aren't affected.
Mark_MSX

Post by Mark_MSX »

KaizaCorp wrote:That should all be captured within the retroarch.cfg right? Maybe just using parts of it so OS specific paths aren't affected.
I m hoping so! Why don t you give it a try and see how it works. That would be great if you could get the mac version up and running
KaizaCorp

Post by KaizaCorp »

Unfortunately it seems like it's done a bit differently on Mac (High Sierra). Can't find the retroarch.cfg
Mark_MSX

Post by Mark_MSX »

KaizaCorp wrote:Unfortunately it seems like it's done a bit differently on Mac (High Sierra). Can't find the retroarch.cfg
are you able to stream off your mac? Maybe you can stream setting it up and I can help troubleshoot and stuff.
zakk

Post by zakk »

/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/RetroArch/config/retroarch.cfg and retroarch-core-options.cfg

KaizaCorp wrote:Unfortunately it seems like it's done a bit differently on Mac (High Sierra). Can't find the retroarch.cfg
KaizaCorp

Post by KaizaCorp »

Ah thanks zakk, I was looking in the wrong place!
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

Thanks for working this guys! I'll stand by to see if you get it to work!
Tatsuya79

Post by Tatsuya79 »

Thanks to FrozenFish24 we now have a work-around that makes run ahead 2nd instance works for FBA.
You can compile RA with what is mentioned in that thread I linked, or here is a RetroArch exe for windows x64 with the modification.

No more sound problem with 2nd instance.
I played Batrider, Battle Garegga, Cybattler, Striker 1945 with 4 frames of lag removed until the end.

There's still an issue of loss of performance over time though (as explained in that thread above).
You can get around of it by doing a save state, closing/restarting/loading state for now if that happens.

About what was said earlier here, there's no additional frame of lag in Retroarch FBA, that issue is just for MAME.

Hard sync to 0 frame ensure your gpu isn't adding a frame of buffering, and that's a separate thing from the emulator internal input lag
= it's an additional lag reduction you can take advantage of on top of run ahead.
It stresses the GPU/CPU more in GL.
The equivalent is "max swap chain images = 2" (in settings -> video) with the Vulkan driver, which should be for free in that case performance wise.

So many games with 3 frames of lag, like Progear or Ghouls n Ghosts, that's a great improvement I think. :)
Last edited by Tatsuya79 on Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tatsuya79

Post by Tatsuya79 »

I don't really see the need to package a full retroarch installation (that is a bit old) for your work.
You could just share the cfg overrides for FBA, that will be a lighter download!

Poll input to later is the one with the least input lag theoretically, when the polling happens as close as possible to the end of a frame.

Disabling V-sync is also a particular choice.
But if you want the exact timing there's now an option that does that in the frame throttle menu.
It forces speed to x1 internally while still working for fast forward and its max speed value (only for it).
This works best for VRR screens.
Mark_MSX

Post by Mark_MSX »

Tatsuya79 wrote:Thanks to FrozenFish24 we now have a work-around that makes run ahead 2nd instance works for FBA.
You can compile RA with what is mentioned in that thread I linked, or here is a RetroArch exe for windows x64 with the modification.

No more sound problem with 2nd instance.
I played Batrider, Battle Garegga, Cybattler, Striker 1945 with 4 frames of lag removed until the end.

There's still an issue of loss of performance over time though (as explained in that thread above).
You can get around of it by doing a save state, closing/restarting/loading state for now if that happens.

About what was said earlier here, there's no additional frame of lag in Retroarch FBA, that issue is just for MAME.

Hard sync to 0 frame ensure your gpu isn't adding a frame of buffering, and that's a separate thing from the emulator internal input lag
= it's an additional lag reduction you can take advantage of on top of run ahead.
It stresses the GPU more in GL.
The equivalent is "max swap chain images = 2" (in settings -> video) with the Vulkan driver, which should be for free in that case performance wise.

So many games with 3 frames of lag, like Progear or Ghouls n Ghosts, that's a great improvement I think. :)

ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC stuff!! Huge thanks to you and frozen fish for all the work! This is a huge leap forward if the Garegga audio is fixed!! I am going to download this updated build and get to work updating my previous adjustments using this new build. I really like the sound of the new frame throttle option, that could make things much simpler and more accurate.

As far as having only the config files to just plug in, I debated whether or not to do that, just because I wanted a complete download and play situation. I do know there are a number of people who don't like the idea of messing with config files and stuff, even if the process is very simple. But I do like your idea of having a lighter download too. So what I'll do is just offer both options. I'll have a download for the complete emulator, and one for just the config files. That way everyone has a choice.

Again, excellent stuff man! I'm really excited to try this out ASAP.