Ninja Gaiden [NES] + R2RKMF: Scrolling Action Monogatari

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BrianC

Re: Ninja Gaiden [NES] + Scrolling Action Monogatari

Post by BrianC »

SDF is also an impressive looking game (another HAL MMC5), but it's one of those strange shmups that doesn't seem to have a score.

I'm glad Metal Slader Glory has been translated, but a bit disappointed that the translation takes up too much memory to work on the available flashcarts.
kitten

Post by kitten »

WelshMegalodon wrote:I've heard of Metal Slader Glory. In fact, I was about to wonder aloud why there hasn't been an English translation of it yet... until I realized that Stardust Crusaders had released one just last month! Holy Hannah!

Maybe now that a HAL title has been translated, the adventure gaming side of the Famicom's library will finally get its due among English-speaking fans...
oh, wow, fantastic. would love to play it on a flash cart one of those days. or maybe after i learn japanese. both options seem so distant...

report back if it's any good!! i know it's not quite thread material but if you post it somewhere else, maybe link that you did so in here for posterity
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Hunnnh I'd say the MMC3 mapper is plenty advanced.

There are only a few mapper chips that can do more, and they are super rare, plus the features they add are pretty specific, like a built in sound chip, or the palette changing effect of the MMC5.
MMC3 allows for huge ROM chips, and I think the fidelty of the CHR banks you get with it is super detailed, and more than enough for any video game.
Kirby's best trick IMO is simply talented artists (with good dev tools) and the biggest ROM ever included on a licensed NES cartridge.
kitten

Post by kitten »

Sumez wrote:Hunnnh I'd say the MMC3 mapper is plenty advanced.
it's not bad and i didn't mean to imply it was, just that kirby's adventure was super late life and commonly lauded as the single best-looking nes/fc game despite being on what was then a mapper that debuted four and a half years prior and with other specific games also vying for that title having more sophisticated ones.
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

kitten wrote:
WelshMegalodon wrote:I've heard of Metal Slader Glory. In fact, I was about to wonder aloud why there hasn't been an English translation of it yet... until I realized that Stardust Crusaders had released one just last month! Holy Hannah!

Maybe now that a HAL title has been translated, the adventure gaming side of the Famicom's library will finally get its due among English-speaking fans...
oh, wow, fantastic. would love to play it on a flash cart one of those days. or maybe after i learn japanese. both options seem so distant...
especially since the translation doesn't work on the currently available NES flashcarts.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

kitten wrote:and with other specific games also vying for that title having more sophisticated ones.
I don't know which ones you are thinking of, but I'll gladly go on record saying that I'm not seeing anything in Gimmick! or Dynamite Batman this isn't possible on MMC3. Aside from the sounds on the Jap version of the former, that is.

Metal Slader Glory probably wouldn't, but it's hard to compare a text adventure with still images to a lively action game like Kirby.

I don't mean to downplay what Kirby did, though. It absolutely is one of the best looking NES games, and the pure plethora of adorable graphics is absolutely amazing, and something I haven't truly come to appreciate until after really getting back into NES stuff in the last decade.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Finished up my Kirby series revisit with Super Star Ultra. It's good stuff. I don't know the original Super Star well enough to notice every mechanical change, but the ones I did notice are mostly positive and overall it feels better to me. I'd say it's the definitive version. I like that the new content is harder than the base game. It's no Dream Land 1 Extra, but Helper to Hero and the True Arena at least ask that you take them seriously.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Beat 'em up fans rejoice! Capcom beat 'em up bundle announced for all main systems. September 18th - $19.99.

https://youtu.be/4jTzG7Y-daE

Games included:
Final Fight
King of Dragons
Captain Commando
Knights of the Round
Warriors of Fate
Armoured Warriors
Battle Circuit

Some notable absences, perhaps due to licensing issues? I'll still probably buy it.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

^^^^^^^^^^
I'll wait for reviews and if the upscaling quality is solid and it's not plagued by additional input lag, I'll be picking this up. Pretty stoked about arcade-perfect ports of Final Fight and Kings of Dragons.

Sucks that there's no licensed games (Cadillac,The Punisher and Dungeon & Dragons) but on the other hand the price is right for what you get @ $19

Oh well at least I got the PS3 japan-only port of the D&D games
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
kitten

Post by kitten »

FinalBaton wrote:Sucks that there's no licensed games (Cadillac,The Punisher and Dungeon & Dragons)
most importantly, avp, which i've only ever seen in an arcade as a kid a few times. oh, i used to love to gawk at that cabinet when i was little ;___; i hope and pray it will someday see a port. or i win the lottery and buy a pcb, you know, that would be nice, too.

i'm REALLY excited for an opportunity to play armored warriors, and online, even!!! so extremely cool, i hope they don't bungle this. twenty bucks is frankly a pretty good price and i'm hoping it gets a physical release, to boot.
Image | Image
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

^^^^^^^^
yes, forgot the almighty AVP

man I SO hope for a physical release of this, I'm right there with ya
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

It is getting a physical release, at least in Japan.
In Japan, the game is known as Capcom Belt Action Collection and will also get a retail release on PlayStation 4 and Switch on December 6. The standard physical edition will cost 3,300 yen, while a Collector’s Box including a copy of the game, arcade version reissue B2-size tapestry set, and an arcade version reissue instructions post card set will cost 5,800 yen.
Source
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
kitten

Post by kitten »

Image plz o merciful god let that come out over here or at least be region free
Image | Image
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

FinalBaton wrote:Sucks that there's no licensed games (Cadillac,The Punisher and Dungeon & Dragons) but on the other hand the price is right for what you get @ $19
The Dungeons and Dragons one may be missing due to the standalone bundle that was released not too long ago? Like something about not competing with a physical release. As for the absence of the other ones that are obviously due to pricy licensing, yeah, it's a darn shame.

Still, Armored Warriors and Battle Circuit are amazing, and it's the first time I think they have seen any kind of a non-arcade release? Hopefully they get good exposure to audiences who've not heard of them before.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

kitten wrote:Image plz o merciful god let that come out over here or at least be region free
Both PS4 (game) discs and Switch cartridges are region free.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Finally decided to seriously sit down with Hagane after owning it all these years.

You know... it's not NEARLY as hard as it's let on to be. Not so far anyway. The moveset is kinda overwhelming at first but I just kinda ignored it till I got the swing of it.

Having said that I am at a part that's giving me a bit of a speed bump. Any tips on that section where there is a spiked floor that keeps ramming you from below as you're trying to make your way up?
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

It's been a while, but can't you just trivialize that section by using the up-kick thing?
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Ghegs wrote:
kitten wrote:Image plz o merciful god let that come out over here or at least be region free
Both PS4 (game) discs and Switch cartridges are region free.
Always and forever amen.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Define "up kick".
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

That move where you do a really powerful jump kick straight up into the air.
BIL

Post by BIL »

High hopes for that beltscroller pack. If it turns out well I'm getting it for sure.
Strider77 wrote:You know... it's not NEARLY as hard as it's let on to be. Not so far anyway. The moveset is kinda overwhelming at first but I just kinda ignored it till I got the swing of it.
This is beginner Hagane in a nutshell. You can learn it like a Strider-esque run/slash and do just fine. The airdash, slide and lack of contact damage on most enemies let you run rings around them while piling on damage. The performance ceiling for styling/profiling play is immense, but you don't need to bother with it while learning the ropes or even just playing competently.

That said, the basic [front flip + attack] special is easily slotted into a variety of situations, with some nice i-frames, and there's a healthy middle ground for moderately technical play. But people seem to think the game will blow up your console if you're not hitting X amount of triple somersault stabs of death per stage, and it ain't true. Image
Having said that I am at a part that's giving me a bit of a speed bump. Any tips on that section where there is a spiked floor that keeps ramming you from below as you're trying to make your way up?
Haul fuckin ass. :cool: (seriously I don't remember much specific there, other than it being fairly generous... the airdash can speed up your horizontal travel time, particularly if you send it off a wall.)
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Speaking of Hagane, does anyone know of anything else that really plays like that (aside from the obvious such as Osman, Skyblazer, etc), particularly the more "platformy" stages? Flashy moveset, stage design with as much emphasis on hazards as enemies, etc?

Bonus points if it has airdashes because airdashes are always fun (see: Mighty No. 9, which I'll always love just for that reason).
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Haul fuckin ass.  (seriously I don't remember much specific there, other than it being fairly generous... the airdash can speed up your horizontal travel time, particularly if you send it off a wall.)
I got past it... I just did it in a kinda janky manner. I got to the rocket boss then stopped. Well, it was actually caused by the power flickering due to the hurricane (I'm in NC).
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Obscura wrote:Speaking of Hagane, does anyone know of anything else that really plays like that (aside from the obvious such as Osman, Skyblazer, etc), particularly the more "platformy" stages? Flashy moveset, stage design with as much emphasis on hazards as enemies, etc?

Bonus points if it has airdashes because airdashes are always fun (see: Mighty No. 9, which I'll always love just for that reason).
Doubt this fully fits the criteria but Psi Knuckle is pretty cool for a freeware game. Certainly has airdashes and flashy movement. Can grab it here. I should revisit it using arcade stick, dash button was killing my hands on gamepad.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Obscura wrote:Speaking of Hagane, does anyone know of anything else that really plays like that (aside from the obvious such as Osman, Skyblazer, etc), particularly the more "platformy" stages? Flashy moveset, stage design with as much emphasis on hazards as enemies, etc?

Well not exactly like that, but playing Mega Man X4 with Zero pretty much fits the bill. You don't start with them but once you get the whirlwind slash and airdash... oh man, what a feeling of blazing-fast-yet-precise acrobatic destruction. Even as you start, you've got the standard "dash/fast long jump" so you're already a killing machine of a samurai (who can climb to boot). The whirlwind slash from Split Mushroom boss, you should get second (but you can get first, no problem), so you'll be playing pretty much the whole game with it. And that's the big one, that's the skill that MAKES fast aerial combat in the game. I see myself constantly using bog standard "fast long jump" and ending it with wirlwind slash, which if you change direction while performing, will reset the animation(or cancel I guess) for maximum damage. You can reset it twice on stationary enemies. Truly an empowering feel.

The move I call "whirlwind slash" is actually officially called Sky Waltz in the game. A beautiful name that perfectly describes this agile and deadly in-air sword dance.

There's a decent amount of stage hazards too in the game.

X4 is one of my fave sword-action platformers ever, btw. And one of my dearest games full stop, since I bought it back then with my own money and cherished the experience immensely. And I still give it a spin once in a while and it's still a good game.
Last edited by FinalBaton on Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Also : not sure how familiar you are with Shinobi III on the Genesis (you probably are very familiar with it, but just in case : ), but it has an extensive move set (diagonal-down jumpkick your enemies' skull, dash attack that has some very generous and fun to use i-frames, blocking projectiles and of course : somersault while shooting a ton of kunai)

and more importantly : it has a TON of amazing, challenging platforming and stage hazard set pieces.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
kitten

Post by kitten »

i don't really see much similarity between x4 and hagane, tbh. closest games i can really think of are the super shinobi I & II (revenge of shinobi and shinobi 3), but they really don't quite fit the bill. maybe... ninja five-0? been forever since i played that one.

i only played (past the first level of) hagane for the first time in the last year, and bil and i shared a somewhat dense conversation about it. may be worth reading? that link kind of sends you straight into the thick of the convo, but i'm a little too lazy to find the exact start & end.

re: the room with the ascending damage floor, you just go fast (shamelessly plugging my nomiss run, here). that's it. i think you can attack it to send it back down and it's why i just launch a bomb off early on my run, which keeps it low enough that you're only going to get hurt if you move slowly or stupidly. the lack of contact damage in hagane is fantastic, you can really haul ass or look incredibly cool if you take advantage of that.

hagane quickly became a very favorite game of mine because, frankly, it is actually pretty easy. the potential for highly refined play is fantastic and i love the high skill ceiling, but what keeps me coming back or fondly remembering is how low-pressure it is if i want to comfort game. joining the ranks of stuff like nes contra, battle formula, TNWA, or musha aleste in my most loved action games because they have a beautifully executed pretense of intensity but allow for you to be super easy-going.
Image | Image
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Well it's not too disimilar, isn't it? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ You've got an air dash, you've got an air dash attack that let's you barrel through enemies with lots of i-frames (airdash or standard dash-jump + Sky Waltz), you've got a substantial move set, you've got light combos

Then there's some set pieces with platforms falling off or some others where you're required to haul ass and rush through, and plenty stage hazards

It doesn't handle exactly like it but I think it's close enough to give one his/her fix
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
kitten

Post by kitten »

eh, i just don't feel it. there's a lot of pauses in rmx4 (text bosses, cinematic cutscenes, etc.) and deeply toothless boss fights/scenarios that leave me feeling a bit bored with it. there's some superficial similarities, but they pace each other very differently and i think also have a very different grasp on movement. i've always thematically had this love for x4, but it just doesn't have the action chops that i want.

- - - - - - - - - -

kind of an aside, here, but i want to take a second to point out that one of the reasons i so adore hagane is because it has a tightly-packed and incredibly cinematic narrative. the transitions all make sense and often have direct visual consistency (assaulting the docks an airship is at, boarding the airship, escaping and watching it crash in the distance, etc.), and there is just the right amount of concession made to boss introductions without jamming in too much dead air or fluff. i'm heavily reminded of gb nemesis II (gradius: the interstellar assault) and its small, but excellent use of carefully applied cinema.

your character's hellbent determination for revenge is extremely well-characterized in how relentlessly these narrative beats are delivered (stage transitions are quite brief and without anything like a score tally getting in the way of that delivery). one of the only moments you're found to actually stop moving forward in the entire play is before the entrance to the fortress - where you pause only to slaughter an entire army that had been prepared for your coming and end the life of your haughty rival without so much as a concession he was more than just another dumbass goon who stood in your way.

you do not speak, you do not show compassion, you do not pause. you are strictly there with a single purpose in mind and that is superbly communicated with unmistakable certainty right down to the body language of your character. only once accomplished do you cease, and in doing so you immediately and completely surrender to entropy. your player character in hagane is not a person, they are determination made manifest and the will of an unjustly slaughtered people.

hagane communicates a relentless antipathy for wanton industrialization and corrupt power structures without ever having to speak so much as a single world, and i really think that's powerful. much of its visuals directly correlate demonic strength with advanced machinery, and the ending punctuates what it thinks should be done of that with a really unmistakable message: a belief that that kind of power and capacity for violence has no place in this world. what's important isn't just that the 'hero' wins, but that he accepts no glory in his death and no further purpose. they became evil to destroy it and subsequently die satisfied that that kind of power is gone from the world with their included removal.
Image | Image
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

well I'll give you that regarding the flow of the game.
but Osman was also cited and that has some boss dialogue/cutscenes too

anyway, moving on :P
-FM Synth & Black Metal-