R-Type Dimensions PS3 release dates for NA / EU

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
plasticxo

Re: R-Type Dimensions PS3 release dates for NA / EU

Post by plasticxo »

MachineAres 1CC wrote:
plasticxo wrote:Edit : there seems to be 2 versions. One for the US market and one for the EU market. The shape of the cartridge is different.
But it is still not clear if the EU version will play on a Super Famicom...
As far as I know, EU and JP have the exact same cartridge shape, and the cartridge shape is the only thing that prevents you from using the US carts in EU/JP systems and vice versa, there's no actual coded region locking in the ROMs of the games. The only issue you might have is that if you're using an original European SNES to play it, they are coded for PAL video output, so the US and JP versions likely won't run correctly on a CRT TV since they're coded for NTSC. If you're using a Retron or other clone system that has HDMI output, you shouldn't have this issue, since it converts the video signal anyway
I've never been too interested in SNES / SF games so I did a little reading on region protection on those. It's based on the frequency of the console, so there is no US/JP compatibility problem as long as you use a cartridge extension to bypass the shape of the game cartridge.

Over US/EU or JP/EU compatibility, it's not the shape indeed, but the frequency that sometimes acts as a region protection. It's not the same on all games (some check at start up only, others after levels or game over screen too...).
I suppose retro-bit only changes the cartridge shape for its US and EU market, and the games are not region coded... But I can't find the answer and I asked retro-bit directly. But no answers until now...
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

I read somewhere (in a not most reliable of sources, but it made for a sort of explanation) that stuttery scroll is due to the framerate matching the PCB's (i.e. not quite matching home standard 60 Hz refresh rate displays).
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

FRO

Post by FRO »

plasticxo wrote:
FRO wrote: With the Super R-Type/R-Type III cart coming (licensed), and this re-release of Dimensions, R-Type is at least present. I don't expect Irem to develop a new game, or even hire out another dev to do so.
Are you talking about the retro-bit compilation ?
I'm tempted, but it's not clear if it plays on a Japanese Super Famicom, and without any type of adaptator.
The cartridge shape is a bit strange... Looks like a US cartridge to me.

Edit : there seems to be 2 versions. One for the US market and one for the EU market. The shape of the cartridge is different.
Yes, the Retro-Bit compilation. I got mine in the mail, and am happy to report it works great on my stock US SNES. I put about an hour into R-Type III last night. It was glorious.
tizerist

Post by tizerist »

Dimensions on PC?? Hell yesssssssss!!!

A PC gamers perspective: Dimensions vs Delta.

In my opinion these are the two best releases in the series, and now for the first time both packages will be playable on a single system. Assuming that the PC release is near identical to the Xbox360 version, how do they stack up? Naturally I'll be referring to the ePSXe version of Delta.

Stages: Delta has (perhaps slightly below) average length for a hori shoot-em-up. The figure of 7 stages is balanced by the rather high quality seen in those. However, this pales in comparison to Dimensions 14 stages, spread across the 2 campaigns, and some of those are the most memorable in shooting game history.
Verdict: An easy win for Dimensions.

Ships: Naturally, Dimensions contains but a single ship: The trusty R9. Who would have it any other way? But Deltas selection of 4 craft is a great thing, meaning playing the game repeatedly throws up new tactics and variation. And the unlockable ship really is quite unique.
Verdict: An easy win for Delta.

Weaponry: Dimensions contains the long celebrated colour-specific power up system, and in RType 2 it's expanded upon. It's obviously extremely well balanced in accordance to the stages, and now it looks better than ever before. But, when we look at Deltas system, it is absolutely superior. The addition of smart bombs is the main difference, alongside the variety of the different craft. Also, the hisses, fizzes, pops and crackles of Deltas lasers are breathtaking at times.
Verdict: An easy win for Delta.

Visuals: Delta, running on the emulator can produce some rather nice pin-sharp graphics, and the game has many snazzy effects dotted around. It's let down by Deltas somewhat gloomy style though, and a few black, bland backgrounds. Dimensions, with it's 21st century polished sheen, has a vibrant look which inspires, and generally just looks more interesting and pretty with the new visuals IMO. Delta may lay claim to looking more gritty and having more background stuff happening.
Verdict: A close win for Dimensions.

Raw gameplay: Personally I prefer the more zippy feel of the Delta craft, and the ability to control your speed. In Dimensions, everything's a tad more sluggish. It seems that Delta is just more of an evolution in terms of control. There is more 'explosiveness' in Delta too. It certainly feels very fresh even today, while Dimensions....doesn't really. To counter, Dimensions beats Delta in terms of how memorable the actual journey is. Some of Deltas later segments are a bit forgettable. You can't say that about Dimensions really, even the worst of the RType 2 levels.
Verdict: Apples and oranges. A matter of taste.

Multiplayer: Well theres only one winner here. A fantastic edition to the game.

Overall verdict: I think Dimensions shades Delta as the R-Type king, all said and done. It's a difficult thing to say and I may yet change my mind over time, but thats my two bobs worth.
plasticxo

Post by plasticxo »

FRO wrote:
plasticxo wrote:
FRO wrote: With the Super R-Type/R-Type III cart coming (licensed), and this re-release of Dimensions, R-Type is at least present. I don't expect Irem to develop a new game, or even hire out another dev to do so.
Are you talking about the retro-bit compilation ?
I'm tempted, but it's not clear if it plays on a Japanese Super Famicom, and without any type of adaptator.
The cartridge shape is a bit strange... Looks like a US cartridge to me.

Edit : there seems to be 2 versions. One for the US market and one for the EU market. The shape of the cartridge is different.
Yes, the Retro-Bit compilation. I got mine in the mail, and am happy to report it works great on my stock US SNES. I put about an hour into R-Type III last night. It was glorious.
Is the packaging and content of good quality ?
Are the pins well made ? I would appreciate if you could post some pics of them to see how good they are.
FRO

Post by FRO »

The packaging is outstanding, at least in the Special Edition, though just the plain SNES-style box isn't bad, just, you know, thin cardboard, like classic SNES games. The cartridge shell doesn't look or feel like a crappy, 3-D printed piece of plastic. It feels similar to a real SNES cart, so I suspect they're either injection-molded, or just really well manufactured in whatever method used. As for the board, I haven't opened it up, but maybe after work tonight I'll do that, and snap a couple pics.
plasticxo

Post by plasticxo »

FRO wrote:The packaging is outstanding, at least in the Special Edition, though just the plain SNES-style box isn't bad, just, you know, thin cardboard, like classic SNES games. The cartridge shell doesn't look or feel like a crappy, 3-D printed piece of plastic. It feels similar to a real SNES cart, so I suspect they're either injection-molded, or just really well manufactured in whatever method used. As for the board, I haven't opened it up, but maybe after work tonight I'll do that, and snap a couple pics.
Thanks, I think I can buy it with confidence then.

As for the pins, I was talking about the pin badges :wink:

But a look at the board could be interested to see what they're using compared to classic cartridges...
FRO

Post by FRO »

plasticxo wrote:
FRO wrote:The packaging is outstanding, at least in the Special Edition, though just the plain SNES-style box isn't bad, just, you know, thin cardboard, like classic SNES games. The cartridge shell doesn't look or feel like a crappy, 3-D printed piece of plastic. It feels similar to a real SNES cart, so I suspect they're either injection-molded, or just really well manufactured in whatever method used. As for the board, I haven't opened it up, but maybe after work tonight I'll do that, and snap a couple pics.
Thanks, I think I can buy it with confidence then.

As for the pins, I was talking about the pin badges :wink:

But a look at the board could be interested to see what they're using compared to classic cartridges...
Gotcha! I might still open up the cart and take pics for reference and post them here, but yeah, the pins are pretty good quality! They look nice, and are fairly thick, and have a nice glossy coating on them.