Any way to get 240p from a PC without using an AMD gpu?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Classicgamer

Any way to get 240p from a PC without using an AMD gpu?

Post by Classicgamer »

I have been using an old windows XP / Intel Xeon pc with an AMD Radeon Hd4890 and soft 15khz for a while. It has mostly been ok but I am getting sick of having to replace AMD GPUs...

My 4890 just stopped working. The pc turns on but no image. The extron RGB interface shows no signal. This happened with every other AMD card I ever bought, including 2 arcade VGA cards (which lasted 6 months each). It usually happens when I try booting up after not using it for a while.

I have never had a single problem with any Nvidia cards and I have owned at least 9 including both consumer and Quadro models. I've broken 7 AMD cards. I hate all AMD hardware!

Are there any other options? I am hoping something has changed in the last few years...

The ideal would be a 240p solution that uses an Nvidia card and a later version of Windows (that still has driver support...). Also, one that allows me to use real native res and refresh rates (with custom modes)....

It's frustrating that modern PCs have so much trouble doing what every computer in the 90's was capable of....
billcosbymon

Re: Any way to get 240p from a PC without using an AMD gpu?

Post by billcosbymon »

Classicgamer wrote:I have been using an old windows XP / Intel Xeon pc with an AMD Radeon Hd4890 and soft 15khz for a while. It has mostly been ok but I am getting sick of having to replace AMD GPUs...

My 4890 just stopped working. The pc turns on but no image. The extron RGB interface shows no signal. This happened with every other AMD card I ever bought, including 2 arcade VGA cards (which lasted 6 months each). It usually happens when I try booting up after not using it for a while.

I have never had a single problem with any Nvidia cards and I have owned at least 9 including both consumer and Quadro models. I've broken 7 AMD cards. I hate all AMD hardware!

Are there any other options? I am hoping something has changed in the last few years...

The ideal would be a 240p solution that uses an Nvidia card and a later version of Windows (that still has driver support...). Also, one that allows me to use real native res and refresh rates (with custom modes)....

It's frustrating that modern PCs have so much trouble doing what every computer in the 90's was capable of....
Sounds like you have a bad powersupply if you keep on killing GPUs. I'd reccomend getting a newer AMD GPU that's on the list. http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/v ... php?id=295
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

I would have to have five bad power supplies as AMD cards don't last in any of my PCs. It would also have to be bad in a way that only effects AMD cards and never Nvidia.

I haven't tried crt emu before. As is seems to work in Windows 7, I guess I'll give that a try if there is literally no other non-AMD solution..
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Weirdly, I've only ever had one AMD card go bad on me, and it was still usable in a pinch (artifacting).

Do you recall which brand(s) of AMD cards you were buying? I've only ever bought reference cards and Sapphire-brand ones (because I had heard Sapphire produces the references cards).
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

nmalinoski wrote:Weirdly, I've only ever had one AMD card go bad on me, and it was still usable in a pinch (artifacting).

Do you recall which brand(s) of AMD cards you were buying? I've only ever bought reference cards and Sapphire-brand ones (because I had heard Sapphire produces the references cards).
I have a range including sapphire, msi, Asus and a few others. I don't know for sure but my belief is that the weak link with AMD cards is the software and I don't think soft 15lhz helps this..

I guess I am just unlucky with AMD. I know that some others have done ok with them. Still if it wasn't for my 240p need, I would never touch another. I don't like troubleshooting PC problems.
buttersoft

Post by buttersoft »

In theory, a lot of Nvidia cards will work. People post up all over the place saying "Just get a..." whatever it is; GTX 710, 950, etc. and add your modelines. Some people even talk about the 970 working. But in practice you're likely to get headaches, and those headaches may not be fixable.

AMD + crt_emudriver is the only guaranteed route to 15kHz.
ElBartoME

Post by ElBartoME »

I'm able to get 240p 15kHz from my GTX 1080 using a DisplayPort - VGA Adapter with no problems at all.

I posted about it on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/comm ... some_240p/

I even tried 240p 16:9 resolutions with success to play Sonic Mania or Shovel Knight.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Do Cards like the 1080 still have a DAC, so DP can output native VGA or do you use an active DP to VGA converter ?
ElBartoME

Post by ElBartoME »

I highly doubt that they still have a DAC. Even some older models were not able to output VGA through DVI-I anymore.

I use this converter here: https://www.amazon.de/Rankie-DisplayPor ... B00Z08TZNU
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

The GeForce 900 series was the last VGA holdout.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

I was just looking on one of my workstations that has an Nvidia Quadro 6000 (which can output analog RGB through DVI-I and they seem to offer 15khz 480i natively - I.e. As one of the hardcoded built in resolutions.

I can set it to 240p as a custom resolution but it doesn't seem to like staying in 240p once I shut it down.

It makes sense that that this generation of high end Quadro cards would allow 15khz because people who worked in TV / broadcasting would have used them.

I'm wondering if I can make this work for my set-up using an HD monitor for Windows and my arcade monitor as a 2nd screen for MAME.

How do I check the "dot clock" for the custom resolutions I create? Isn't this the apparent issue in modern GPUs and the thing that is apparently solved by an arcade VGA?
miramanee

Post by miramanee »

Hi maybe someone knows it,

I have a SONY BVM 20F1E and I would like to be able to play the arcade games I played from 1975 to 1998 at home.

Now I have read a bit and know that you need a strong CPU (Intel G3258)

I have a ThinkPad T420 at home where I connected an NVIDIA 750TI via eGPU so that I can play POE.

Now I know that an ATI 6450 with VGA end the best choice is I right?

I can also use these on the eGPU.

My laptop has an Intel Core i5-2540M (2.60GHz, 3MB L3, 1333MHz FSB would be the long or I need this Intel CPU?

I also bought an Extron RGB 190xi for what is that good?

What cable do I need then I have VGA on BNC is that ok?

and lastly which version of groovymame + mame you should use i downloaded this version 0200_017 as well as the MAME 0200 is that ok?

Did I forgot something?

I use win7 64 pro

PS: I wanted to do that before with Raspberry PI 3 and VGA666 but I read that the emulation of RB3 is not enough.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

what I meant was, that you maybe want to try to get 240p from your Nvidia setup before going for a different video card ?
miramanee

Post by miramanee »

ah ok

but is this ok what i typed the best way is groovymame and i dont Need that cpu?

and what is this extron do?

but my NVIDIA has not a VGA input
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

but my NVIDIA has not a VGA input
A few postinge above you'll find the link to a HDMI to Converter from Amazon (Germany even).

You can use the Extron to convert from RGBHV (from the D/A dongle) to RGsB or RGBs for your BVM.
lukilla

Post by lukilla »

the 750ti should have a dvi-i port, it only needs the typical dvi-i to vga adapter. You can create up to 32 custom resolutions like this: https://i.imgur.com/GCO4AFd.png

Using an hd display as main and crt as secondary can be a little tricky in windows 10. What I do is to plug both screens, leave the analog disabled in nvidia control panel, then use a program called quick display changer 2 to create a desktop access that will force this screen enviroment for later. After that I enable the analog crt, create the custom resolutions I need and leave for the last the resolution I want the crt desktop to be. I accept this last resolution, nvidia control panel will let you then select this resolution for the crt (all previous resolutions wont be shown but don´t worry, they are in the registry), set the crt to this resolution, then using the nvidia control panel disable the hd display, the crt should be working at the desired resolution (if not try again), then close the nvidia control panel and click the quick display changer access created before in the desktop (so we are back at hd display enabled, crt disabled).

Then, for normal switching to the crt, I have to use windows own display switcher (win + P) (quick display changer fails for this on win10, on win7 was fine) or create another desktop shortcut using as target %windir%\System32\DisplaySwitch.exe /external and %windir% for start in. This way windows will remember the resolution you set before in the nvidia control panel, don´t use nvidia slow control panel for normal switching, and if you add more custom resolutions, delete the crt desktop resolution and create it again so you can repeat the process so frigging windows can remember what it should be :P Once you get figure this out you can create bat files to switch displays and fire up front-ends:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvoPrFUcmzM&t=

Ps.- In case you want 480i for later consoles like dreamcast or ps2, forget it, it´s broken with nvidia.
Ps2.- And you need to reboot the pc so the emulators can use the new resolutions.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

lukilla wrote:Using an hd display as main and crt as secondary can be a little tricky in windows 10. What I do is to plug both screens, leave the analog disabled in nvidia control panel, then use a program called quick display changer 2 to create a desktop access that will force this screen enviroment for later. After that I enable the analog crt, create the custom resolutions I need and leave for the last the resolution I want the crt desktop to be. I accept this last resolution, nvidia control panel will let you then select this resolution for the crt (all previous resolutions wont be shown but don´t worry, they are in the registry), set the crt to this resolution, then using the nvidia control panel disable the hd display, the crt should be working at the desired resolution (if not try again), then close the nvidia control panel and click the quick display changer access created before in the desktop (so we are back at hd display enabled, crt disabled).

Then, for normal switching to the crt, I have to use windows own display switcher (win + P) (quick display changer fails for this on win10, on win7 was fine) or create another desktop shortcut using as target %windir%\System32\DisplaySwitch.exe /external and %windir% for start in. This way windows will remember the resolution you set before in the nvidia control panel, don´t use nvidia slow control panel for normal switching, and if you add more custom resolutions, delete the crt desktop resolution and create it again so you can repeat the process so frigging windows can remember what it should be :P Once you get figure this out you can create bat files to switch displays and fire up front-ends:

Ps.- In case you want 480i for later consoles like dreamcast or ps2, forget it, it´s broken with nvidia.
Ps2.- And you need to reboot the pc so the emulators can use the new resolutions.
Is this really one of the differences between Nvidia and using AMD with CRT Emudriver?

To run a modern flatscreen + 240p CRT, on CRT Emudriver all I needed to do was run CRT Emudriver (and follow their setup directions), pick my 240p CRT as the one to get the custom 240p modelines, then the only extra thing I had to do was to change MAME.ini's "screen" settings to be “\\.\DISPLAY2”, and all my regular Windows stuff works through the motherboard's built-in 4K HDMI output (Intel HD Graphics 630) on my 49" TCL TV, and when I launch MAME it boots up on the 240p CRT automatically (via the HD 6450 video card).

Of course it initially took me like 30 hours of reinstalling windows about 20 times to get everything working (especially MAME which is so archaic and counter intuitive it's not even funny) how I wanted it without screwing something up along the way - but that was learning pains and now I can get it up and running in maybe 15 minutes lol.
lukilla

Post by lukilla »

It should be much easier with emudriver since Calamity built it to just for that, and it seems it can do 480i which would be better for ps2 and dc emus (nvidia is just broken for that, at least switching between progressive and interlaced modes is broken). There is also some people using modern cards like the gtx1080 and custom resolutions with a displayport to vga adapter, seems to work like a breeze too https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/comm ... some_240p/

Ps.- You can also use mame builds like mameui32fx which are pretty straightforward, but you need to set the resolutions manually.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

Dochartaigh wrote:
lukilla wrote:Using an hd display as main and crt as secondary can be a little tricky in windows 10. What I do is to plug both screens, leave the analog disabled in nvidia control panel, then use a program called quick display changer 2 to create a desktop access that will force this screen enviroment for later. After that I enable the analog crt, create the custom resolutions I need and leave for the last the resolution I want the crt desktop to be. I accept this last resolution, nvidia control panel will let you then select this resolution for the crt (all previous resolutions wont be shown but don´t worry, they are in the registry), set the crt to this resolution, then using the nvidia control panel disable the hd display, the crt should be working at the desired resolution (if not try again), then close the nvidia control panel and click the quick display changer access created before in the desktop (so we are back at hd display enabled, crt disabled).

Is this really one of the differences between Nvidia and using AMD with CRT Emudriver?

To run a modern flatscreen + 240p CRT, on CRT Emudriver all I needed to do was run CRT Emudriver (and follow their setup directions), pick my 240p CRT as the one to get the custom 240p modelines, then the only extra thing I had to do was to change MAME.ini's "screen" settings to be “\\.\DISPLAY2”, and all my regular Windows stuff works through the motherboard's built-in 4K HDMI output (Intel HD Graphics 630) on my 49" TCL TV, and when I launch MAME it boots up on the 240p CRT automatically (via the HD 6450 video card).

Of course it initially took me like 30 hours of reinstalling windows about 20 times to get everything working (especially MAME which is so archaic and counter intuitive it's not even funny) how I wanted it without screwing something up along the way - but that was learning pains and now I can get it up and running in maybe 15 minutes lol.

I am going through that headache now. CRT EMU is not for computer novices. Installing Windows XP and soft 15khz was easy. Crt emu in Windows 7 and groovy mame has so many more "gotchas". The install instructions are long and disjointed so it takes a saint-like patience. Luckily for bums like me, Calamity has an equally saintly level of patience when supporting his creation. He seemingly does it for no reward, maybe he is actually a saint...

Most annoying (and expensive) for me is that installing crt emu triggered Windows to decide that it was a whole new computer and that my copy of Windows 7 professional is no longer valid... and... I can only find my upgrade product key, not the original Windows 7 starter key, so I might have to buy Windows 7 again....

And, after finally getting Windows into 15khz with crt emu, I can't get any version of Groovy mame to open. I just get a black screen, so I am stuck using regular mame anyway...

Also, I'm not 100% convinced that these "super resolutions" produce the same authentic look as actual native resolutions. Games look different somehow...
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

As an FYI for anyone that cares...

I was able to make my Nvideo Quadro 6000 (ferni generation) output 240p 15.7khz without any mods or special drivers and, through any of it's ports. It has three DVI ports which are all capable of DVI-d and DVI- I.

But.... and this is a big one, I could only make it switch to 15hhz for everything. I.e. I wasn't able to make mame output 15khz while Windows was in 31khz. Also, I wasn't able to generate the number of custom resolutions needed to run a broad portfolio of mame titles at native res. It only allowed a few (which is the real benefit of soft 15khz and crt emu).

And.... Windows does not like 15khz progressive without special drivers so it's not the most stable...

None of my GTX 680's and 580's were able to generate a permanent useable 240p / 15khz. One allowed it for a few seconds and then blue screened on me. The pro grade Quadro cards seem to offer more flexibility. But, they still require one HD monitor to be connected just in case.

Obviously, any card can do 240p 120hz at 31khz. But, it just does not look or feel the same as 240p 60hz, even when played on the same monitor. I have tried.

I once got ok results using a 480p (native) LCD data projector with 240p / 120 fps. That's the only scenario where I would use 120hz 240p.
ElBartoME

Post by ElBartoME »

lukilla wrote:There is also some people using modern cards like the gtx1080 and custom resolutions with a displayport to vga adapter, seems to work like a breeze too https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/comm ... some_240p/
That was me actually. I posted the DP -> VGA adapter in the thread already. I tried using the custom resolution settings from nvidia and it kinda worked, but changing between resolutions was a mess. Somehow only one custom resolution was possible. I found another solution.

I use CRU now with the following settings:

It is imporant to remove all resolutions and just insert your custom resolutions. Otherwise some funky stuff happens. I did some resolutions from 240p up to 720p as I use a Multiformat BVM. You also see some 240p widescreen resolutions for different games (Sonic Mania and Shovel Knight).

Changing resolution is a quite funny as well. I'm using Windows 10 so I can't speak for other versions of Windows. At least with Windows 10 DO NOT change the resolution with the builtin Windows menu. It does not work correctly with 240p. It also does not work well with the nvidia control panel. If you just set up 240p resolutions you may get away with changing the resolution with Windows. But if you set up 720p like in my case Windows will use 720p with 240p resolution and it looks horrible. But if you just set up 240p resolutions you may get away with skipping the next step. I'm using DisplayFusion on my PC and changing the resolution to 240p works with it quite well. It looks like this:

There you can choose between the different resolutions. There are also some resolutions in between that are not in CRU. Do not use these as in my case it goes with 720p and does some horrible unsharp scaling.

Btw, I'm using a Extron RGB 202Rxi (it has a DB9 connection instead of a standard VGA, but I got it for cheap). I also had success with a Extron RBG 109xi.

Also, this is real 240p. Meaning 60Hz / 15.5kHz-ish (around 16kHz in my case).
lukilla

Post by lukilla »

It´s good to have more workarounds for similar setups, nvidia software is really glitchy :D. It seems you wanted to keep your primary screen active so that could have introduced even more issues, or maybe it was the number of displays. It´s unfortunate that you can´t use the nvidia control panel for making resolutions because it allows to test and adjust screen position and width at the time of creation (for perfect fit in a per resolution basis), and with a 3rd party utility called NvCRBT you can save all the resolutions in a profile and restore it when you update drivers, or want to play with another one of you crt´s (which I do all the time :) )
ElBartoME

Post by ElBartoME »

You can actually use the nvidia custom resolution tool to test the resolutions. That's what I did. I then copied the settings to CRU. But saving more than one custom resolution was just not possible for me. Although more than one custom resolution was shown in the tool I was only able to choose the most recently created resolution.

Yes, I wanted to have my other screens active as well especially when I'm using 720p. It seems to work quite well though. I only change to 240p if needed. Otherwise it will stay in 720p.
lukilla

Post by lukilla »

But what do you mean by not saving?, you have to reboot the computer so the applications like emulators can detect and use them. You wont be able to choose them for desktop use in the nvidia control panel though, only the last one you set.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

The Nvidia control panel for their pro grade Quadro cards has more options for stuff like this and fewer restrictions as they are designed to be used in display walls and, obviously for graphic design too.

The latest generation of Quadro cards is too expensive for this but the fermi generation (like my Quadro 6000) and even the following gen (with cards like the K5000) are fairly cheap on eBay. Maybe the Quadro drivers even work with their gaming cards. Might be worth a try to see if it helps at all.

Perhaps one day, Nvidia will wake up to the fact that a lot of users want and / need backward compatibility as retro gaming is increasingly popular. There is a huge back catalog of games people still enjoy playing and it's frustrating that the limiting factor is the gpu which is specifically sold for gaming.

Instead of actively preventing legacy resolutions, Nvidia should make cards that allow as many custom resolutions as you want and, with built in (high quality) video scalers to make old games look good on new screens. You shouldn't have to pay for a Framemeister on top of a $500 gaming gpu....

Ok, rant over.
ElBartoME

Post by ElBartoME »

lukilla wrote:But what do you mean by not saving?, you have to reboot the computer so the applications like emulators can detect and use them. You wont be able to choose them for desktop use in the nvidia control panel though, only the last one you set.
Ahh, I was not aware of that. That does not suit my needs though as there are some games where I can not change the resolution. It just picks the desktop resolution when going into fullscreen.
lukilla

Post by lukilla »

Yeah, that´s a problem with some newer games. At least we have shown it´s viable to use nvidia cards for this stuff :D

https://gfycat.com/FakeSecondaryErmine

Ps.- Although not so much for interlaced 15khz resolutions (for dreamcast and ps2 emulation), they look ugly @240p.
Lord of Pirates

Post by Lord of Pirates »

Classicgamer wrote:The Nvidia control panel for their pro grade Quadro cards has more options for stuff like this and fewer restrictions as they are designed to be used in display walls and, obviously for graphic design too.

The latest generation of Quadro cards is too expensive for this but the fermi generation (like my Quadro 6000) and even the following gen (with cards like the K5000) are fairly cheap on eBay. Maybe the Quadro drivers even work with their gaming cards. Might be worth a try to see if it helps at all.

Perhaps one day, Nvidia will wake up to the fact that a lot of users want and / need backward compatibility as vintage gaming is increasingly popular. There is a huge back catalog of games people still enjoy playing and it's frustrating that the limiting factor is the gpu which is specifically sold for gaming.

Instead of actively preventing legacy resolutions, Nvidia should make cards that allow as many custom resolutions as you want and, with built in (high quality) video scalers to make old games look good on new screens. You shouldn't have to pay for a Framemeister on top of a $500 gaming gpu....

Ok, rant over.
Don't count on it, Nvidia doesn't like their consumer and pro lines intersecting.