Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
OmKol

Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?

Post by OmKol »

DOJ WL, day 67. Still 2-5 practice. I can clear 2-5 five times per day. I die often on Hachi first pattern or Hachi second form second pattern. One time reached Hibachi, died while trying to dodge lines of bullets before washing machine.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Over the past week I've thrown a few credits into Progear again. Reached four and five a few times but haven't cleared it again.

Been playing a lot of SOR Remake.
My lord, I have come for you.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Some Raiden V. Not enjoying how the weapons work in this one. Once you've levelled up a certain weapon a few times it seems a safer bet to stick with that even if it isn't ideal for a given situation, rather than switch to a weapon that now feels under powered. Raiden III got it right for me.

And damn, Super Hydorah is superb! Gradius for people that suck at Gradius. Only played a few stages so far but intend to sink a few hours in over the weekend. Really impressed.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Marc wrote:Some Raiden V. Not enjoying how the weapons work in this one. Once you've levelled up a certain weapon a few times it seems a safer bet to stick with that even if it isn't ideal for a given situation, rather than switch to a weapon that now feels under powered.
A.K.A. "how to not see the TLB".
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I have been doing some practice of Radiant Silvergun's arcade mode, gotten a personal best a few times (which in my case, means making decent progress into the second stage of the game). Sore spots are still stupid deaths leading up to Gallop, as well as the boss afterwards with the spinning laser.

Stage Practice seems almost useless, since you can't set your weapon levels (to my knowledge). Why would I practice a punishing stage like 4, if I can't go there without at least 10 levels in each weapon?

I am really starting to hate that stage 1 BGM. It's short, the same phrase repeated the entire time, and it's grating. You'll hear it for 8 minutes or so and more if you fuck up your chains or have a stupid death and restart. Every other track in the game is better.
pmp

Post by pmp »

I recently picked up Raystorm HD. I've heard some mixed opinions about this version, but as someone with no prior experience, it seems perfectly fine to me.
Stage Practice seems almost useless, since you can't set your weapon levels (to my knowledge). Why would I practice a punishing stage like 4, if I can't go there without at least 10 levels in each weapon?
Is this how it works on the Saturn? Practice on the 360 lets you set weapon levels.
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

I've been playing through a handful of Famicom shooters - seldom comes the time when I am inclined to dabble with 8-bit shooters, I'm all the more raptured by the overall yield:

- Abarenbou Tengu: I've spent an unexpected amount of time with this one, clearing it both on the default Easy setting as well as Hard, only to afterwards investigate whether the US version Zombie Nation might differ aside from the obvious substitute of the main sprite (it does not as far as I can tell), leading to a second clear on Hard. This is one of those games that rapidly vacillates in one's estimation: the first audiovisual impression is great, after the first absurdly cheap deaths most players will immediately stop playing it, if you do happen to prevail and proceed to steadily become better at it you respect it more and more until stumbling upon some other lurid obstacles and so on and so forth. After all is said and done, I have to admit I really enjoyed the game overall. Getting to grips with the momentum/inertia of Hard's control scheme was not always pleasant, the satisfaction of learning how and when to quickly charge forwards and when to gently tap into place was well worth it on the other hand. It reminded me ever so faintly of BlaZeon's colossal mechs, albeit the stage structure and overall design of Abarenbou Tengu is obviously not up to those standards. However, aside from those hilariously cheap instant kills (which, with the exception of the truly horrific second boss, can all be swiftly dealt with provided you memorized them), it is surprisingly solid and even frantic. Due to the pithy length of the game and the fact that you can select every stage as your first one, the memorization is likewise a minor issue, especially because those hazards are usually of the cinematic kind (like the roiling lightning bolts in stage 2). The screen-wiping bomb can be fairly helpful at times and adds a jaunty tactical element. I wouldn't quite call Abarenbou Tengu a must, but it's definitely one of my favourite B-tier shmups for the system now.

- Baltron: I've mentioned the game here already, thus, I shall reiterate in appropriate brevity that it is an excellent - if unprepossessing - title. Consistently clean implementation of ideas within a minuscule space.

- Legendary Wings: Sound game somewhat marred by unnecessary repetition. The final stretch of every vertical section is virtually identical (down to the pitiful Dragon Saber clone boss), as is the equally weak boss of every stage. The setpieces themselves from stage 3 onwards are fine, although you almost cannot die if you find the (not-so) hidden bonus rooms with all the hearts, effectively turning you invincible. The only real threat is when you get inextricably stuck in one of the barriers in stage 5 (due to poor programming, I might add, your sprite just gets stuck if you get too close), resulting in the scrolling screen killing you. Having to play with base firepower is plain miserable, you can't even kill the sturdier enemies in the horizontal sections which results in more lives lost. That complaint notwithstanding, it is a decent game to play through once, I just can't see myself ever revisiting it again, the second loop was virtually identical to the first (as is the third, fourth,... nth loop, apparently) and there is nothing else to do, unfortunately. Certainly a great entry point for a beginner of the genre.

- Robocco Wars: Not quite fitting for this thread since more than half the stages are of the action platforming kind, but it'll do. I don't want to traduce the game, I nonetheless believe the rather excellent audiovisual presentation was squandered on remarkably primitive gameplay. Almost every enemy has a fixed AI pattern, more often than not ignoring the player and just going through the motions. The platforming stages are invariably flat, all you do is jump from one patch of one land to the next and firing at a few enemies before they can do anything. Bosses move from one side of the screen to the other or sit in place, you either jump over them or their projectiles in the most simplistic approach imaginable. The shmup stages are just as dry, if I recall there is only a single (perhaps two) instance(s) where you have to face aimed bullets. That's just a sad state of affairs considering the charming atmosphere. Fighting against Mother Hawk straight out of Darius II should've been something to relish, alas, it lasted all of 10 seconds. What a shame.

- Silkworm: I postponed this game due to my disinclination towards the arcade game where playing as the heli is out of the question and using the jeep is a gigantic chore. I was all the more thrilled to find out that the port is much better than the source, and a shockingly tough hurdle to overcome on top. Enemies still fire a lot of bullets to where you have to carefully plan ahead if you want to make it with the heli, but there is not a veritable surfeit of projectiles that just leads to unavoidable deaths like in the arcade game (where the heli's hitbox and its tardiness are beyond repair). Bosses are predictable on paper yet spew out so many (fast) bullets and destructible missiles that you are constantly on your toes, without ever resulting in slowdown or flicker. The added TLB in particular is extremely nasty for a Famicom/NES shmup, the guy killed a few of my credits - and you cannot even continue on him for some more practice! The overreliance on the invincibility barriers in the arcade game was lessened in favour of strategically placed bouts of those, which was the right idea. The randomness involved with enemy spawn points prevents ennui even in early stages for sometimes, there can be nasty constellations of surprise choppers from behind that lead to a devastating pincer attack. Very, very good shmup for the system, comes highly recommended.

- Star Force: Speaking of reluctance to pick up 8-bit arcade ports, I finally cleared the Famicom version of Star Force. I recently found out first-hand that this version is indeed significantly easier than both the arcade game and the NES version and figured I might try to get a clear. While this is still by no means an easy game in absolute terms, it is considerably less... orgulous than other incarnations in its misanthropic demeanour. This, too, cost me a few credits until I crafted tailor-made strategies for all the enemy formations. And I have to say, I loved every second of it. The arcade version can sometimes be a little bit too brutal for my taste, being on the brink of a heart attack for 30, 40 minutes is not something I'm willing to embrace at all times. The Famicom version rewards methodology and strength of nerve without neglecting the fine pinch of extemporaneous terror where the less clement versions occasionally decide to simply murder you all the same. I managed to last a respectable time (I didn't keep track, I'm fairly certain I must've conquered 25 Infinity areas or so) before my credit finally ended. Without a doubt another new-found favourite o' mine for the system.

- Star Soldier: Figured it might be a splendid idea to just tackle Star Soldier thereafter. By Jingo, I can't remember when I was so livid whilst playing a video game the last time. Star Soldier is not a complete disaster like you find so many on the system, it's all the more aggravating for it since you know the developers put all this nonsense in the game with cold deliberation. Whenever I got forced under terrain in the middle of a dangerous enemy wave, I became rampantly angry because this would ineluctably result in some ridiculous death the second I had to leave said cover, usually followed by another couple of deaths due to horrible checkpoints with a ship that's too slow without power-ups. This has to be one of the most idiotic decisions I've faced in the genre. Not to mention all the other insane random debility where you have to have a certain digit in the score for that secret to happen or this to work. You never die with honour and dignity, felled by bullets, you always get killed by collision. Hate, hate, hate this game. Fortunately, you can stall entire stages like in Star Force if you can manipulate the blue orbs into constantly moving laterally, meaning you only have to face dangerous enemy waves very late. I heavily abused that fact in order to secure a quick(er) clear and almost gave up regardless, such was my incandescent ire. I cherish Super Star Soldier a lot more now, though - was never a fervent fan of the game even though I like it, this adds a whole new layer to the game.

Additionally, I tried a few more Famicom shmups without clearing them:

- Airwolf: I'll give the developers credits for ambitions, they evidently had no idea how to implement any of this, sadly. The rail perspective boss fights run at a couple of frames even when you don't fire, but it eat inputs if you do so much as moving the reticle! The stages themselves suffer from horrendous flicker and slowdown, you also have to pick up at least one power-up before you're even allowed to fire more than one shot at a time. Not a single death feels fair or earned, you constantly perish on account of poor performance. Not the worst game I've ever played, even so not worth putting the effort into.

- Exerion: odd vertical/rail hybrid with a keen focus on momentum that makes Abarenbou Tengu look smooth by comparison. Astonishingly playable despite that, at least for a few minutes. Loops forever without any clear indication of progress which ultimately kills every lasting appeal. Still, not terrible.

- Galg: This, on the other hand, is one of the worst shmups I've ever tried. You can never fire more than a handful bullets at once (my autofire controller didn't work whatsoever) while having to collect 100 (!) random power-ups before you can finally face the boss. Seems to take about 90, 100 minutes, I shut it off after 5. Truly awful with no redeeming qualities. The graphics are crude, music is abysmal, the gameplay is as bovine as they come - I guess if you want to practice your button tapping prowess for more than a solid hour, this might be the game to do so.

- Macross: Like Exerion, this seems to continue forever, I couldn't find any videos of a proper clear, at least. Every stage unfolds in the same way, I've managed to roll over the score on my first attempt on stage 6 and didn't quite know what to think of that. Insanely cheap hits everywhere, concealed with cheapest veneer there is: a health bar. Technically a bit better than Galg - it tries to simulate exciting action and offers an imperceptible trifle of it - but also an utterly lost cause. Why would I want to play a game with no end, change, form or structure if I can cause a score overflow within my first fifteen minutes of playing it?

Shepardus wrote:Tatsujin Ou - [...] biggest pile of flaming garbage I've ever played.
I just pictured this (admittedly skewed) quotation below the arcade flyer, made me chuckle. :lol:
You pretty much have to fight the fifth boss at low rank in order to kill it - I don't know precise formulae, you certainly want to be below maximum power in any case, perhaps it would do to stay at really low power.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Awesome to read some stg writeups by Perikles again, even if it's in an era I am largely uninterested in. :lol:
pmp wrote:
Is this how it works on the Saturn? Practice on the 360 lets you set weapon levels.
As far as I can tell, the Saturn version of Radiant Silvergun doesn't let you set the weapon levels for practice. There might be an option or a way to do it - if so, someone let me know! It's aggravating because the first stage of the game is very laborious and tedious on multiple repeats, and you will really want to practice, if possible, with weapon levels that you can reasonably expect.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Perikles wrote:
- Galg: This, on the other hand, is one of the worst shmups I've ever tried. You can never fire more than a handful bullets at once (my autofire controller didn't work whatsoever) while having to collect 100 (!) random power-ups before you can finally face the boss. Seems to take about 90, 100 minutes, I shut it off after 5. Truly awful with no redeeming qualities. The graphics are crude, music is abysmal, the gameplay is as bovine as they come - I guess if you want to practice your button tapping prowess for more than a solid hour, this might be the game to do so.
Fortunetly, adding two As or replacing the L with a R and and adding an E, a extra G and an A makes it a much better game.
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Today, I've restored my honour for sempiternity, squelched an ancient yet unforgotten invidiousness with appurtenant promptitude, retrieved probity in affairs of hitherto stygian iniquity: it took about 22 years, but at last, Archer MacLean's Super Dropzone has been vanquished. I believe this was the second (borderline) shmup (first one being Solar Striker) that I've actually owned myself, a dire burden indeed. I've loathed the controls back then and I abhor them just as much now - if you do so much as gently tap into a direction, Super Dropzone dude will be fueled with the desire to dole out implacable irruption, completely suppressing his self-preservation instinct in the process for he explodes into a thousand shrapnels when touching an enemy. The developers had to grant you a generous invincibility meter as well as a likewise propitious extend routine so that you can get through the game. It's not really demanding in truth, the highly irritating representation (including the radar and cramped screen space), horrendous controls, cheap deaths and environmental dangers (the last two stages will almost certainly result into a desolated main base, thus turning the planet into a hostile inferno) are still nothing less than a nightmare for the young, impressionable mind. Today, I've put my trepidation aside, which, lo, the gods rewarded even without prior intercession. Game even has a second loop, no extra lives to be had, though, which eventually kills the run. The nimiety of coins in the game at least hands me the perfect opportunity for a resplendent quote:

"An item", he said softly, his eyes on the disc, "that passes without provenance, pursued by many who thirst for its cold kiss, on which life and all that lay within life is often gambled. Alone, a beggar's crown. In great numbers, a king's folly. Weighted with ruin, yet blood washes from it beneath the lightest rain, and to the next no hint of its costs. It is as it is, says Kruppe, worthless but for those who insist otherwise."
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Today, another milestone reached in Viewpoint: I managed to single credit all the way up to stage 6 (I just crossed the final checkpoint marker when I got sniped). I'm still making a lot of stupid mistakes in stage 5, so I need to iron all that out, otherwise, most of the rest of the game is starting to fall into place (well, except for triggering the pick-up extend in stage 3).
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Stevens wrote:Been playing a lot of SOR Remake.
This is good and I fully approve.

I've been re practicing for a deathless clear of Giga Wing. Let myself get a bit rusty on some strats, but I really would like to record a full clear. I've proven it's entirely doable to no-miss up to the TLB, at which point even at 0 bombs left you have the resources to basically blow it out of the sky with the bombs remaining, but it's very difficult to consistently get through Stages 5 and 6.

Should also go back to Progear and make more of a dent in that second loop.

I'd also like to go back and record some more Solid State Survivor but every recording utility I've thrown at it fails to detect it fullscreen, so I have to play it windowed with OBS Studio. Oh well.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
Stevens wrote:Been playing a lot of SOR Remake.
I've been re practicing for a deathless clear of Giga Wing. Let myself get a bit rusty on some strats, but I really would like to record a full clear. I've proven it's entirely doable to no-miss up to the TLB, at which point even at 0 bombs left you have the resources to basically blow it out of the sky with the bombs remaining, but it's very difficult to consistently get through Stages 5 and 6.
Which version are you playing; CPS2 or DC? The DC version is missing a lot of key slowdown, particularly in stages 5 and 6.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

CPS2 or emulated in Shmupmame. I don't own a Dreamcast unfortunately but I'm aware GW for it differs greatly from the arcade in terms of the slowdown. Recording on my cab is a little more cumbersome as I don't yet have a capture setup (phone and tripod currently), and I don't have a rapid fire button installed yet which would make the attempts a bit less of a hassle, so I've been recording attempts in Shmupmame.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Still plugging away at X-Multiply. Finally got a decent recording of a 1CC of the first loop, after a million mistakes started creeping into my runs - needless deaths in spots that are simple unless you're trying to recover (though, thankfully, I'm fine with recoveries on stages 6 and 7). The second phase of the final boss is still a formidable threat after studying its movements forever. :lol:

Edit: the worst place to die in this game is actually at Ghoums, the st4 boss, because you won't get your tentacles back for a long while after.
crazyrexz

Post by crazyrexz »

plan to play raiden legacy on android, last time got dropped because limited credits forcing me to stuck in middle stage. anyone have some trick to add credits on it? any method is good as im rooted now.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

First time ever getting to stage 5 in Radiant Silvergun on a single credit. That's good progress, I guess >.>
It doesn't quite justify the dozens of hours I've put on this fucking arcade mode. Most of that time is waiting on the first level for the game to get interesting... probably about 15 minutes! Nothing like getting all the way to the last phase of 3D or 3E only to make a dumb mistake or lose a chain and realize I just wasted an entire psikyo loops' worth of time.

My weapon levels were about A:19 B:14 C:18, which I think should be good enough to beat Xiga with, should I somehow get out of stage 5 alive. I can't see myself chaining much outside the beginning because survival is hard enough when fighting the battleship.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Viewpoint: made it to the stage 6 boss in a single credit. Getting much more consistent at level 5 although level 6 still needs a lot of work.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Been a while since I last checked in. Haven't been playing much recently. Both because I generally don't during the summer and because I was dealing with moving for a bit. I did decide to replace my old PC monitor (which was a pretty nice CRT, but way too dark) with a new PC monitor (Dell P2414). Really impressed with the new one. No perceptible lag on Mars Matrix DC, and the monitor has flexible enough geometry settings for me to get the right aspect ratio w/ DC (By basically maxing out the pixel clock, whatever that means). Also can rotate, though only in one direction. On the other hand, it also has a vesa compliant mount thing, so I could get an even better stand for it that can rotate in either direction. I think it will also be a bit more versatile than a 4:3 monitor because while 4:3 is inherently superior, marketing has convinced us that everything should be 16:9 so everything is.

Most recent games played include Zero Gunner 2 (for a bit), Trizeal Remix, and most recently Akai Katana. I was not really sure what I wanted to try playing next, but I think I'll probably go for AK Slash (or that's the one I think it is). The reasons are several. First, it is a pretty fun game, Second, it is a horizontal screen game, and I wasn't planning on going back to vertical screen games for a bit even though it's quite easy for me to tate right now. It's mostly just on principle. Third, it seems like the most interesting variant of AK. Fourth, I still don't have a CAVE 1cc, and I should probably get around to that eventually. Fifth and most important, I WANT MORE BIG Gs!!!!

I spent most of this morning trying to get a feel for the confusing mechanics, and I think I'm starting to figure stuff out, though I've still got a long way to go. Worth mentioning that I have watched the STGWeekly episode at least twice, and I still had no idea what was going on at first.

What I think I've figured out is that you don't refill your energy meter unless you're in focus mode. That took a while to figure out. When you switch to ninja mode your meter slowly drains, but it drains really fast if you get hit. In ninja mode it seems like bullets slow down, but maybe also get more dense (???). You seem to get more swords for the sword attack thing by getting chip damage on enemies in ninja mode. Using the sword attack with more swords seems to give you either more Gs or bigger Gs but I'm not sure. I think you lose most of your energy if not all after you use the sword attack.

The stuff that still confuses me is that sometimes I don't get Gs when I expect to, and sometimes I get them at times when I'm not expecting to. Occasionally my swords build up really fast somehow. Not sure where that's coming from... There might be other things.
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Akai Katana is not too difficult to get into once you grasp the "flow" of the game, switching back and forth between modes. It's less intuitive than Espgaluda, but once you get a handle on what you're doing it's actually not too bad and you can definitely learn to play it naturally. While most Cave games refer to Shot/Laser, Akai Katana works the same way but refers to them as Defense/Attack.

On Original or Zetsu/Climax, in plane mode the defense mode (shot) builds the hit chain. It appears chaining may not be super important for scoring, as many high score videos feature a lot of chain drops, so it may not be like Dodonpachi where it is central to scoring, or it may be difficult to maintain the chain (I know I have a lot of trouble too).

The attack mode (laser) is what gains you energy for your meter. Getting the plane close to enemies gets it more quickly, as well as getting the orb near enemies. Energy balls will surround your orb as long as you hold attack mode, and you can collect them by going to defense mode. You can "grow" the energy balls in attack mode by getting bullets to touch them before collecting them, but they will eventually turn red and disappear completely if you wait too long to collect them. As a plane, red lasers cause chip damage to your life meter, but can be beneficial for a quick recharge (you gain energy every time you take a laser hit).

Once you've built meter, switch to ninja/phantom. In this form you are always immune to red lasers. Defense mode is weak but completely protects you from all damage. Bullets will eventually start to circle around you like this. Attack mode makes you vulnerable to being hit by bullets, which will force you back to plane mode, but destroying enemies at close range causes nearby bullets (like the ones around you) to turn to gold. This gold will start hovering around you and grow in size. Collect it when it's at its biggest by switching back to the plane.

Go back and forth between forms to score, essentially. You can also save the meter for safety purposes when necessary.

Shin/Slash is similar in terms of generating meter by attacking at close range, but collecting items is simplified greatly:

• As a plane, use Defense mode at close range (either get the plane or orb close) to generate steel (the blue orbs). There is a red circle around your ship, and when it fills up, you are full. Use Attack mode at close range to generate energy. Both steel and energy autocollect, no need to "grow" them. When your steel meter is full, using Defense mode will generate energy instead, but it seems to be faster/more efficient to use the Attack mode to quickly gain energy instead of just using Defense all the time (?). There may also be a bonus to how fast you gain energy in Attack mode if the steel meter is maxed, can't remember for sure here.

• As a ninja/phantom your Defense mode no longer deflects bullets. It will slow them as they approach but you now will take damage in Defense mode (lasers are still always blocked regardless of mode). When you first transform, any Steel you collected appears as blue orbs. You can gain more by using the Defense mode at close range.

To release the steel, use Attack mode. You can see what direction they will be released by the yellowish lines that appear. Different shot types have different ways to aim them (move and they may shrink, turn, widen, it depends on the shot type how to aim them). Steel will cancel bullets, and for every steel orb that hits an enemy you get a giant katana. The giant katanas are the key to scoring - killing boss phases with them generates a score bonus, and as they hit enemies, they generate gold. You want to chase the katanas and be close to them as they slowly grind through enemies, since being close to them as they hit generates more valuable point items which you will autocollect. To release the katanas, switch from ninja/phantom back to plane mode. They are aimed and controlled the same as the steel, and will also cancel bullets and pierce enemies.

Type A and Type C make the spread of shots wider or thinner depending on how you move as you release the steel or katanas, Type B has fixed width release, but can aim them in any direction. Type C can easily get fullscreen wide katana release sprays, so if it's your first time putting effort into the mode, you may appreciate Type C's full screen clears to help learn the game.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

@BKR: Thanks! That's a very helpful run down on the mechanics. I'm already doing quite a bit better knowing about the steel meter. Definitely strikes me as the kind of game that makes a lot of sense once you get a feel for it.
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Still practicing Metal Slug 3

Now I have to get consistent on final zombie escape, I want to keep my full-armed flame shot during Rootmars fight.
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

copy-paster wrote:Still practicing Metal Slug 3

Now I have to get consistent on final zombie escape, I want to keep my full-armed flame shot during Rootmars fight.
I don't suppose you're doing this on default difficulty right? Cause that's a real pain to hold onto, I usually hold onto that after I get in the Slug-Noid. (Though I'm usually playing it on a easier difficulty. Rootmars goes down easily with a few flame shot and grenades.)
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

LordHypnos wrote:@BKR: Thanks! That's a very helpful run down on the mechanics. I'm already doing quite a bit better knowing about the steel meter. Definitely strikes me as the kind of game that makes a lot of sense once you get a feel for it.
AK is great once you wrap your head around the mechanics. Super satisfying to send a legion of swords and watch the gold pour out.

Love the art style too. Could do without the bosses being people, but it's a minor complaint.
My lord, I have come for you.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Got a new CRT and loaded up R-Type Final for the first time in ages. Refamiliarising myself with everything in its amazing "data & gallery" section, I came across an 'award' that read "Cleared on 1 life 05.01.2005", a feat I have absolutely no recollection of.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

NeoStrayCat wrote:I don't suppose you're doing this on default difficulty right? Cause that's a real pain to hold onto, I usually hold onto that after I get in the Slug-Noid. (Though I'm usually playing it on a easier difficulty. Rootmars goes down easily with a few flame shot and grenades.)
I'm playing it with Normal mode (as opposed to MVS difficulty) in home version, but I think those are almost identical though.
OmKol

Post by OmKol »

DOJ WL, day 73. I know I spam about my progress too much but here is a huge progress in my practice - a whole 2-5 with Hibachi clear. Now I'm going to relearn the whole second loop and do it in one sitting before 2-ALL attempts. My current PB from 2-1 - death before 2-3 midboss. But that's only the beginning.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Being in the grip of a resurgent R-Type addiction, I booted up my Japanese copy of R-Types and saw something I had completely forgotten about. It has an "R-Type Delta Movie" option, which shows an early teaser video for the game. It has music that didn't make it onto the final version, and a level set in a cave that also never saw the light of day. It's about as divergent the finished product as that Castlevania IV "fight THROUGH A ROOM!" advert, and I need to find some way to record it...
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ah yes, I remember that clip. Been ages, but I seem to recall it looking like a very, very basic attempt at what would become Stage 2's magnificently convincing aqueduct. Still looks impressive, that. Even before you submerge for the Realtime Underwater Muffler™ effect!
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Yeah! I've cleared Delta a number of times very recently, and was blown away all over again at the level of choreography of the stages. The adequeduct has the most striking and impressive one, but every stage is full of these just-so synchronizations between setpieces and music. The melancholy opening of stage 4 has to be my favourite example of this... :)