NEC XM/XP 29/37 Pro/Xtra Thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
DejahThoris

Re: NEC XM/XP 29/37 Pro/Xtra Thread

Post by DejahThoris »

Cracked neckboards are super repairable. You should be able to get it up and running no problem if that's the only issue :).
aaronmjr

Post by aaronmjr »

That's good to hear. The monitor is so clean inside, and I see lots of promising things on-screen when I fire it up. So I'm pretty hopeful that's all it needs. If I could only get the damn screws out. :D
kel

Post by kel »

Try a few different screw drivers, they might all seem the same but you will find that some grip the screws better than others. That's what I had to do and out of all my phillips head screwdrivers only one of them was able to grip the screws well enough to easily turn them. If the odd one or two are really stubborn then a pair of pipe grips from the side should work also.
aaronmjr

Post by aaronmjr »

Thanks. Yeah I tried about 4 screwdrivers til I found one that gripped, but am still having trouble with some of them. I'm going to borrow my Dad's portable impact wrench and see if that will be a good fit without rattling the whole monitor apart. I was also thinking of maybe slotting the screws so I can get more torque with a flat-head, and then just finding replacements later. I dunno.
NightSprinter

Post by NightSprinter »

aaronmjr wrote:
NightSprinter wrote: PS2, if you can get a cable that does Sunc On Luma and a sync stripper circuit, you can set it to output RGB. Just bear in mind, the PS2 uses Sync on green for games that support 480p or higher.
As long as you have the dip switch set to automatic sync detection it should work no problem.
Indeed it should. Still find it unusual my Extron RGB202 Plus makes video-as-sync and Sunc on Luma work on this monitor?
aaronmjr

Post by aaronmjr »

NightSprinter wrote:Indeed it should. Still find it unusual my Extron RGB202 Plus makes video-as-sync and Sunc on Luma work on this monitor?
I don't know anything about the RGB202 Plus.
Crayfish

Post by Crayfish »

Just a couple of quick questions on these NEC monitors.

I heard someone say that the XP37 doesn't accept 240p RGB? When I look through the posts here I see no mention of that.

I know these NECs require a specific cable for some kinds of RGB input, I mainly use a CRT-Emudriver 15khz emulator PC. Could I just feed in 240p RGB via the dsub or do I need to go through RGBS bnc inputs with the sync stripper cable inbetween?

Thanks,
xga

Post by xga »

Crayfish wrote:I heard someone say that the XP37 doesn't accept 240p RGB? When I look through the posts here I see no mention of that.

I know these NECs require a specific cable for some kinds of RGB input, I mainly use a CRT-Emudriver 15khz emulator PC. Could I just feed in 240p RGB via the dsub or do I need to go through RGBS bnc inputs with the sync stripper cable inbetween?

Thanks,
Are you able to confirm the exact model that you inquiring about? E.g. XP-3790

Some NEC XM/P 37" model's don't accept a 15KHz native signal.
Crayfish

Post by Crayfish »

xga wrote: Are you able to confirm the exact model that you inquiring about? E.g. XP-3790

Not yet, speculative question, but do you have a list of the ones that do - don't?
xga

Post by xga »

Crayfish wrote:
xga wrote: Are you able to confirm the exact model that you inquiring about? E.g. XP-3790

Not yet, speculative question, but do you have a list of the ones that do - don't?
The XM-3750 and XP-3778 models will not accept a 15KHz signal via the RGB inputs.
Yardley

Post by Yardley »

Hi all, this has been discussed before but it didn't seem to go anywhere. I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to increase the width/height amplitude on the xm29 so that I can fill the entire screen with consoles like Dreamcast and PS2. Below is a picture of PS2 running in 480p with a black border all around, that is as far as I can stretch the image.

https://ibb.co/i46mhz

Reading through this thread, Hoagtech mentioned fixing the same issue on his Mitsubishi monitor by adjusting the SUB width in the service menu. SpiderWaffle said "There is most likely a pot that will do large scale H-size adjustment. The tech that set that up that monitor and adjusted that pot probably set it to ~90% (or slightly less) like the XM/XP manuals say to do; and with difference signal source parameters it will change a fair amount on these NEC, they seems more susceptible to difference signal source parameters than most CRTs." Calling all xm29 owners to see if we can get our heads together and tackle this issue!
Crayfish

Post by Crayfish »

xga wrote: The XM-3750 and XP-3778 models will not accept a 15KHz signal via the RGB inputs.
Thanks.
Is there any way to get 15khz RGB into them? Is it just the BNC inputs or is there no way to get it in?

Does the G make any difference? XM3750G?
ELabit

Post by ELabit »

My XM37 Xtra worked great with 15khz 240p. It worked just like XM29 Plus in every aspect but with the added component feature. I used the same scart to BNC breakout cable with a sync stripper and played all my consoles on it without issue
xga

Post by xga »

Yardley wrote:Hi all, this has been discussed before but it didn't seem to go anywhere. I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to increase the width/height amplitude on the xm29 so that I can fill the entire screen with consoles like Dreamcast and PS2. Below is a picture of PS2 running in 480p with a black border all around, that is as far as I can stretch the image.

Reading through this thread, Hoagtech mentioned fixing the same issue on his Mitsubishi monitor by adjusting the SUB width in the service menu. SpiderWaffle said "There is most likely a pot that will do large scale H-size adjustment. The tech that set that up that monitor and adjusted that pot probably set it to ~90% (or slightly less) like the XM/XP manuals say to do; and with difference signal source parameters it will change a fair amount on these NEC, they seems more susceptible to difference signal source parameters than most CRTs." Calling all xm29 owners to see if we can get our heads together and tackle this issue!
What is the full number of your model? e.g. XM-2950

It will be listed on the back of the monitor.
xga

Post by xga »

Crayfish wrote:
xga wrote: The XM-3750 and XP-3778 models will not accept a 15KHz signal via the RGB inputs.
Thanks.
Is there any way to get 15khz RGB into them? Is it just the BNC inputs or is there no way to get it in?

Does the G make any difference? XM3750G?
Not without upscaling the signal. Some people have tried the 120Hz trick using a Mame PC and that has provided scanlines.

I believe 15KHz singals on the composite and s-video inputs is just line doubled or upscaled to 31KHz.

The "G" designates that it is for a different region (usually Europe), so usually has a different tube to compensate for the hemisphere and sometimes different power input e.g. 220V.
xga

Post by xga »

ELabit wrote:My XM37 Xtra worked great with 15khz 240p. It worked just like XM29 Plus in every aspect but with the added component feature. I used the same scart to BNC breakout cable with a sync stripper and played all my consoles on it without issue
XM37 Xtra = XM-3761. The XM-3761 will accept a native 15KHz signal via the BNC RGB inputs without issue.
Yardley

Post by Yardley »

xga wrote:
Yardley wrote:Hi all, this has been discussed before but it didn't seem to go anywhere. I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to increase the width/height amplitude on the xm29 so that I can fill the entire screen with consoles like Dreamcast and PS2. Below is a picture of PS2 running in 480p with a black border all around, that is as far as I can stretch the image.

XM-2950
xga

Post by xga »

Yardley wrote:
xga wrote:

XM-2950
With horizontal width set to maximum, adjust pot VR9004 on the "DEF-SUB PWB" PCB until you get the desired width.

With vertical height set to maximum, adjust pot VR4002 on the "DEF-SUB PWB" PCB until you get the desired height.
Yardley

Post by Yardley »

xga wrote:
With horizontal width set to maximum, adjust pot VR9004 on the "DEF-SUB PWB" PCB until you get the desired width.

With vertical height set to maximum, adjust pot VR4002 on the "DEF-SUB PWB" PCB until you get the desired height.
Wow thanks I have to try this! Are there any side effects to doing this and can you point me in the right direction to locating the def sub board?
xga

Post by xga »

Yardley wrote:
xga wrote:

Wow thanks I have to try this! Are there any side effects to doing this and can you point me in the right direction to locating the def sub board?
As long as you note the positions of the pots before you adjust them (perhaps with a permanent marker), then you can always return them to their original position if it causes an issue. You may get side pincushion distortion when adjusting the horizontal width. If so, that will need to be adjusted too.

The DEF-SUB PWB board looks like this:

Yardley

Post by Yardley »

xga wrote:
Yardley wrote:
xga wrote:

As long as you note the positions of the pots before you adjust them (perhaps with a permanent marker), then you can always return them to their original position if it causes an issue. You may get side pincushion distortion when adjusting the horizontal width. If so, that will need to be adjusted too.

Thanks so much!
Crayfish

Post by Crayfish »

xga wrote: Not without upscaling the signal. Some people have tried the 120Hz trick using a Mame PC and that has provided scanlines.

I believe 15KHz singals on the composite and s-video inputs is just line doubled or upscaled to 31KHz.

The "G" designates that it is for a different region (usually Europe), so usually has a different tube to compensate for the hemisphere and sometimes different power input e.g. 220V.
Thanks for the reply again.
Could you please describe the '120hz' trick, is that like running a custom 240p resolution at 120fps?

So even 15khz images on the composite / s-video wont have scanlines when upscaled?
Is that the same thing as 100khz upscaling some TVs do?
NightSprinter

Post by NightSprinter »

Crayfish wrote:
xga wrote: Not without upscaling the signal. Some people have tried the 120Hz trick using a Mame PC and that has provided scanlines.

Thanks for the reply again.
Could you please describe the '120hz' trick, is that like running a custom 240p resolution at 120fps?

So even 15khz images on the composite / s-video wont have scanlines when upscaled?
Is that the same thing as 100khz upscaling some TVs do?
Yes, the 120Hz trick indeed does involve that. Emulators like GroovyMAME and RetroArch are capable of running in this manner. Though I can say sometimes the image is a good bit brighter than a proper 15KHz one. You'll need to either make custom resolutions and refresh rates (important, since some arcade games, and some home consoles/computers can run at lower or slightly-higher than 60Hz), or have a compatible Radeon card and the CRTEmu Drivers.
Crayfish

Post by Crayfish »

Interesting, thanks, I will look into this.
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

xga wrote:
Yardley wrote:
xga wrote:

Congrats XGA And xm29 owners.

You guys finally are able to adjust for full screen.

This is huge for NEC owners.

I am now on the hunt for an NEC.
Copyright 1987
Yardley

Post by Yardley »

xga wrote:

I want to confirm that these adjustments do work! I just tried it on my XM-2950 and I extremely excited to finally be able to have more wiggle room for h/v amplitude adjustment. Thanks xga!

BTW, do you have any other adjustments/documentation for the XM-29 you can share with us?
Rantsu

Post by Rantsu »

Hi All.
I've recently started collecting the necessary equipment to connect my consoles to my NEC XM29 Xtra with RGB.
My Saturn, Super Nintendo and PS2 work fine with RGB.
My PSOne and Genesis Model 1 and Model 2 have sync issues. Which from my research appears to be expected with the NEC 29/37 line. My PVM 1354Q has no sync issues with either console and I don't need the PA 250 either.

Equipment:
Male SCART to BNC breakout from Wookiewin
Generic Genesis Model 2 to male SCART cable
Genesis Model 1 to male SCART cable from Retro Gaming Cables
Hama SCART switch
Extron PA 250
Extron DVS 304 A
Extron RGB 440 (without the necessary 9 pin input cable)
Genesis release Non-TMSS model
Genesis Model 2 3/4 variant

My setup is Console to Switch to Extron PA 250. Only the HV sync port is connected, the V jack is not connected to anything on the PA 250 or the monitor
The PA 250 solves the PSOne sync issues
Unfortunately, it doesn't fix the sync issues on the Genesis Model 1 or 2.
I've tried the 75 ohm and High settings on the monitor, no change
I've tried random DIP switches on the monitor and the PA 250.
I'm thinking the low-budget SCART switch may be the issue.
In the beginning of the gaming session, the Genesis picture appears normal but then starts to degrade into rolling vertical lines.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pics when I picked up my XM29 Xtra from the swap meet
I can't believe I've lurked here for more than a decade and haven't created an account for the forum.
svensonson

Post by svensonson »

Yardley wrote:
xga wrote:

I want to confirm that these adjustments do work! I just tried it on my XM-2950 and I extremely excited to finally be able to have more wiggle room for h/v amplitude adjustment. Thanks xga!

BTW, do you have any other adjustments/documentation for the XM-29 you can share with us?
Just looked into my xm2950 to adjust both vertical and horizontal height.
how the f*** did you guys reach out to both potis while the monitor is turned on? I mean, its just installed right in the middle of the monitor and surrounded by everything else that is installed in there. I am kind of afraid to reach for them with a screwdiver
Yardley

Post by Yardley »

svensonson wrote:
Yardley wrote:
xga wrote:

Just looked into my xm2950 to adjust both vertical and horizontal height.
how the f*** did you guys reach out to both potis while the monitor is turned on? I mean, its just installed right in the middle of the monitor and surrounded by everything else that is installed in there. I am kind of afraid to reach for them with a screwdiver

Remove the fan that is in the way and there’s plenty of space. The fan is held in place by a thumb screw and the bracket slides out once that is removed. Just move it out of the way and keep it connected. Take a pic of the rear without the cover I meant to do that but forgot!
svensonson

Post by svensonson »

Yes, I already had the fan removed. I asked my gf to adjust it while I was screaming at her from the other site of the monitor. thanks guys