Fudoh's ode to old display technology

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
hyrulebr

Re: Fudoh's ode to old display technology

Post by hyrulebr »

danielretrogamer wrote: I must say that widescreen BVMs are rare (and very expensive) here in Brazil, so I probably won't be able to get one.
Hi Daniel

Why do you want a widescreen model?
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

Did you guys know that some chinese company is still manufacturing plasma displays to this day? Model AKTV503 by Akai is a 720p 50" plasma you can buy today for around €250 (in Italy). Apparently it sells well! I thought plasma was a dead tech :o

Edit: looking at the box of this thing now, I'm scratching my head at that declared 16.7ms response time.. a plasma display that's so slow? Maybe they are sourcing the display from somewhere else and are throwing out some random numbers :lol:
Makinx

Post by Makinx »

Xer Xian wrote:Did you guys know that some chinese company is still manufacturing plasma displays to this day? Model AKTV503 by Akai is a 720p 50" plasma you can buy today for around €250 (in Italy). Apparently it sells well! I thought plasma was a dead tech :o

Edit: looking at the box of this thing now, I'm scratching my head at that declared 16.7ms response time.. a plasma display that's so slow? Maybe they are sourcing the display from somewhere else and are throwing out some random numbers :lol:
"Some Chinese Company". Akai is a pretty well known Japanese brand. It also says this pretty clearly on that giant box.
parodius

Post by parodius »

Yeah but Akai is not manufacturing the panel themselves (almost none of the big Japanese brands do it these days, and Akai is definitely not a big one), they are likely sourcing it from the Chinese panel manufacturer that Xer Xian is referring to.
My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.
Makinx

Post by Makinx »

parodius wrote:Yeah but Akai is not manufacturing the panel themselves (almost none of the big Japanese brands do it these days, and Akai is definitely not a big one), they are likely sourcing it from the Chinese panel manufacturer that Xer Xian is referring to.
Ah yes that is true. Nowadays the Akai name is just used to rebrand products purely for brand recognition.
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

I'm about to retire my VERY trusty Zektor HDS4.1 component (and digital audio) switcher. It's a high quality switch that uses relays for everything.

Is there any market for this thing, or would I be dumb to sell it? It's remote controlled and responds well to my Logitech remotes and such.

https://www.digitalconnection.com/produ ... /hds41.asp

https://www.manualslib.com/products/Zek ... 17088.html
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

Does anyone know what the difference is between the JVC BM-H2000PN and the JVC BM-H2000PN-K, not sure what the 'K' signifies??
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

When you find an advert of a few 20M4E's and TM-H1750's for sale at a decent price about 320km-200 miles away, in the middle of nowhere, with scant evidence of their conditions and a generic claim from the owner that they work just fine.. and you already have a couple nice CRT's.. just what do you do? The right thing - don't bother, or the stupid thing - let the CRT craving get the better of you, drive all day, and become a full-fledged CRT's hoarder?

I did the stupid thing :mrgreen:

Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Good job - that's how it's done! Love my M4's.
SNK-NEO-GEO

Post by SNK-NEO-GEO »

@Xer Xian - like a boss :D
The Future Is Now
HDgaming42

Post by HDgaming42 »

brentsg wrote:I'm about to retire my VERY trusty Zektor HDS4.1 component (and digital audio) switcher. It's a high quality switch that uses relays for everything.

Is there any market for this thing, or would I be dumb to sell it? It's remote controlled and responds well to my Logitech remotes and such.

https://www.digitalconnection.com/produ ... /hds41.asp

https://www.manualslib.com/products/Zek ... 17088.html
@brentsg I've sent you a PM
Namingway_PL

Post by Namingway_PL »

Xer Xian wrote:When you find an advert of a few 20M4E's and TM-H1750's for sale at a decent price about 320km-200 miles away, in the middle of nowhere, with scant evidence of their conditions and a generic claim from the owner that they work just fine.. and you already have a couple nice CRT's.. just what do you do? The right thing - don't bother, or the stupid thing - let the CRT craving get the better of you, drive all day, and become a full-fledged CRT's hoarder?

I did the stupid thing :mrgreen:

I know exactly how You feel ;) Friday pickups:

The stack on the left is mine, and rest belong to my friend :) We bought them from a TV studio for a realy decent price :D
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

Man, that's a huge haul :o nice score on the three DT-V's! It's probably the only multisync monitor which you have a decent chance to find in Europe (BVM's seem to be so rare here). I got mine from ebay and it cost me as much as three monitors from my recent pickups..
Namingway_PL

Post by Namingway_PL »

Yeah, three DT-V1710CG's is a realy great find :) Unfortunately they don't have the RGB cards, but I have one in my other DT-V that I bought a year ago :)

In the small case on the bottom right, there is a PVM-14L5, and the studio we bought the monitors from even had some BVM-A20F1M and D14H5E, but would not sell them because they are still using them! :D
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

Bit off topic, but what are the best camera settings for taking good pictures of the screen?
nissling

Post by nissling »

Uh, there's no allround setting you can use and I have no idea what kind of camera you've got. I'm using a Nikon D3200 with a 40mm/2.8 Nikkor Macro lens. For 240p I use a shutter speed of 1sec/60 and usually have f/4.5 or so. I prefer to have 800ISO. I only shoot RAW (.nef) and do everything post in Lightroom. I recently did a video with this specific setup, though it was shot in H.264 (.mov) with a white point at 6500° Kelvin and graded using DaVinci Resolve. You can check it out if you're interested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjvbGSu5Ga4

Picked up two CRTs last friday - Ikegami TM20-30R and a Sony BVM-20F1E.
Spoiler
I've used several 20F1*s before (including a 20F1J which've been in my possession for a little over three years) and know they're extremely accurate, but was very surprised by the Ikegami despite my specific monitor having a reddish tint in blacks. It couldn't be compensated with the controls in the control panel and caused some shifting in the shadow details but otherwise I could get most of the greyscale and white balance right with the help of CalMAN Video Pro (I'm using a C6 HDR1300 for measurements). D65 becomes a bit of a compromise but overall I'd say it's certainly good enough for consumer usage. It maps to the Rec.709 and PAL gamuts very well (they're nearly identical) and provides very good color accuracy. Convergence, geometry and uniformity was also great. It's EOTF is also fantastic, as it follows Power Lag 2.4 extremely well. It's really suited for a dark enviroment.
Spoiler

Overall I was very impressed by this CRT. Certainly better than any PVM I've ever used, including my PVM-20L4 (which has problematic white balance, washed out EOTF and tricky color reproduction). For retro games I'd certainly recommend this monitor. Here are the CalMAN graphs if anyone is interested.
Spoiler
Last edited by nissling on Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

You need to set the shutter speed to 1/60sec. That's KEY.

After that you set exposure and shutter to minimize bloom and get the brightness you want.
okerlo

Post by okerlo »

The thread is 6 years old and stated ~250$ for a v402, what would be a resonable price today?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

probably anything between $50 and $500. It's really about finding one. You won't have different sellers to choose from.
okerlo

Post by okerlo »

I see.
There are currently some on ebay-kleinanzeigen, 450€.
You gotta shell out quite some money on them it seems, don't know if it'll be worth it, already have a small crt here that I'm happy with but a bigger screen would be nice :)
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The question is what you expect from it. It's a curiosity and has its advantages (like being 4:3 and 480p native and using a plasma panel), which gives it a very destinctive look, but except for the motion clarity it has very little going for it. Any gaming experience on an OSSC/OLED combo is far superior.
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

Ok guys i need your HELP!!

I have a JVC BM H2000PN-K Broadcast monitor and up until last week was working just fine. Have turned it on today and have no picture at all not even the menu OSD shows up, if i press the overscan button i would usually get red, blue and green lines running across the top of the screen now all i get a thick white line (could be 4 white lines together). I have removed the case and the light emanating from the necktube is extremely dim which is supposed to be fair bright correct?

Here's a video showing the issue....

https://youtu.be/sh3F59znx8k
Gara

Post by Gara »

Can anyone please tell me if I will have any trouble using a cable with a sync stripper built in on a BVM D24? Specifically a RGB Euro SCART to 4 BNC with a LM1881N.

I ask because I want to run a test on one and all my cables are made with sync stippers on them. I remember Phonedork mentioning in one one of his videos that his D24 had problems with a sync stripper.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

I run sync strippers on my PS1 and PS2. They're ran through an Extron Crosspoint switcher, but no problem running them to a D9, D14, or D20.
Gara

Post by Gara »

Dochartaigh wrote:I run sync strippers on my PS1 and PS2. They're ran through an Extron Crosspoint switcher, but no problem running them to a D9, D14, or D20.
Great! Thank you. It would have been embarrassing to show up to test the thing after a long drive and have a cable problem.

https://youtu.be/ffiR4E1id-8?t=4m27s

That one line had me a bit concerned.
Saturngamer81

Post by Saturngamer81 »

Need some help with trouble shooting some issues with my D24. First is some sort of vertical waviness interference when using the sega saturn via rgb, it changes depending on the screen, happens with both my model 1 and 2 saturns and have tried various scarts for it, but the problem persists. Second is that the raster lines have a sort of larger swell on the left side every time the raster changes,, hard to explain i have posted some pics to show what i meant. pretty much a small white line with be uneven at the left side where it starts. it seems present even on the menue text aswell

Interference
Spoiler
uneven raster
Spoiler
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

The 'uneven raster' thing is not an issue. CRT's don't have discrete pixels and nothing ensures that the video signal/beam will neatly match with the individual phosphors' stripes or dots. See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX649ln ... e&t=10m53s
Saturngamer81

Post by Saturngamer81 »

Xer Xian wrote:The 'uneven raster' thing is not an issue. CRT's don't have discrete pixels and nothing ensures that the video signal/beam will neatly match with the individual phosphors' stripes or dots. See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX649ln ... e&t=10m53s
i disagree: looks even on my other BVMs. the picture doesn't do it justice,, it seems to be some sort of banding of some sort when the beam voltage changes,, it happens in HD material also. its mostly obvious on white text,, square win 10 windows etc, always at the left side. I think its something with the neck board or even Deflection board.. I dont know, but having used many BVM's for years now I know there is something not right here
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

Oh, I hadn't noticed the uneven height of the lines.. sorry, I have no idea what might be the cause :/
DialKnight

Post by DialKnight »

So I got onboard to downscale my 360 and DC signal. Got a 500 vsc and an rgb 150xi. The vsc is fed vga, output via bnc RGBS, homemade 9 pin into the interface and then RGBS into a female scart adapter. No dice. Does every setup require a sync stripper? Also my RGB interface makes a clicking noise...