The Pinball Thread

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BrianC

Re: The Pinball Thread

Post by BrianC »

Udderdude wrote:Some Deadpool footage is up. https://youtu.be/L4RLFqdFf4U?t=16m23s
They're doing that same pinball within a pinball thing that Zen Studios did, though the actual table is different. I like how Berzerk and Frenzy are in the background. Too bad there aren't more home versions of those games, though the A5200 (and A800 proto, which is the same) Berzerk and Colecovision Frenzy are pretty good ports.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

boagman wrote:And the Deadpool Pro I played was absolute *GARBAGE*...
Oh noes, what happened?
boagman

Post by boagman »

Udderdude wrote:
Oh noes, what happened?
George Gomez happened.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

boagman wrote:
Udderdude wrote:
Oh noes, what happened?
George Gomez happened.
I wish I could figure out exactly what you don't like about his tables, I like most of what he's made.

In other news, we now know where the Williams license went. Zen Studios picked it up! Hurrah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8jF4Zff5jE
Zen
Banned User

Post by Zen »

Well, I did not see that coming :shock:
Very interested to see the implementation Zen Studious is going to take with these tables.
boagman

Post by boagman »

Udderdude wrote:
boagman wrote:
Udderdude wrote: Oh noes, what happened?
George Gomez happened.
I wish I could figure out exactly what you don't like about his tables, I like most of what he's made.
In fairness, it's not *all* his tables, but I would say that the majority of his tables either don't impress me, or are just plain lousy...especially at Stern. Yes, Lord of the Rings is terrific, and Batman Dark Knight is fun, but what other tables of his really stand out (full disclosure: I despise Monster Bash)?

He's had a pretty uneven history in terms of his actual designs, in my opinion. I'd even be willing to say that Revenge From Mars was good, but that was *far* more of a collaborative effort than him, and even he would say that, so I wouldn't really credit that as "his" game (though it would certainly be unfair to neglect mentioning him with it, as well).
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

https://www.pinballfx.com/?page_id=7989
We have invested a lot of time and energy adjusting the physics simulation for the Williams tables, so they play true to form – it feels like real pinball. Early feedback suggests physics are spot on; however, we certainly welcome your own feedback as well. We think the ball moves and handles extremely accurately to the real thing, including accurate ball spin and “tricks” as well.
Looks like they're trying to improve their physics on the Williams tables to be more realistic, which is a good thing for sure.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

There's videos up on YouTube of the beta which I believe is a Steam public beta, running Fish Tales and a few other Williams tables.
Easily blows Farsight out of the water visually and the ball movement looked accurate to the machine but I've yet to download FX3 so how it feels I'll leave to the guinea pigs. :P
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Apparently downloading the public beta uninstalls the release version anyway.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Nice to see some new blood in the video pinball business. On the other hand, the developers shouldn't hurt themselves by saying it plays like the real thing. We all know that's not going to be true. I rolled my eyes the moment I read that.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Zen Studios showing off some of the physics and pinball tricks that work on their simulation, as well as how they look on a real machine. https://twitter.com/zen_studios/status/ ... 2079381504
poptart

Post by poptart »

orange808 wrote:Nice to see some new blood in the video pinball business. On the other hand, the developers shouldn't hurt themselves by saying it plays like the real thing. We all know that's not going to be true. I rolled my eyes the moment I read that.
do we? you never know they might manage to pull off something akin to pro pinball timeshock ultra which absolutely plays like a real pin to the extent i learned every flipper trick on it and became a far better player which all translated immediately when i started playing real tables.
Cannonballs

Post by Cannonballs »

Anyone play JJP pirates yet?
boagman

Post by boagman »

Cannonballs wrote:Anyone play JJP pirates yet?
I have. Very dynamic playfield design, but the flippers still have that same "floaty" feel that all JJP pins have had, which I dislike. The software is ridiculously deep...I can't even begin to comprehend it all. It's quite fun.
szycag

Post by szycag »

PSN: szycag
Nintendo Switch: SW-8059-6825-3595
Add me if you're playing Pinball FX3, esp. the Williams tables. I don't have many scores to compete against.
Last edited by szycag on Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
That is Galactic Dancing
headlesshobbs

Post by headlesshobbs »

Is Virtual Pinball still getting good development?
"Don't HD my SD!!"
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Visual Pinball X just released 10.5 recently, and 10.6 is already in beta. Definitely still in active development. People are still releasing plenty of new tables for it, too.
headlesshobbs

Post by headlesshobbs »

No Virtual Pinball is a separate program with it's own group.
"Don't HD my SD!!"
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

boagman wrote:
Cannonballs wrote:Anyone play JJP pirates yet?
I have. Very dynamic playfield design, but the flippers still have that same "floaty" feel that all JJP pins have had, which I dislike. The software is ridiculously deep...I can't even begin to comprehend it all. It's quite fun.
If you played it at Marvin's, I've been able to sneak out there for an hour every week before picking kids up from grandparents. Since I eternally suck at getting out to your expo event, if you happen to scorechase against the IAN initials, let me know when you beat me in something.

It is floaty, but I enjoy the Pirates table quite a bit. The five flippers and liberal use of the action button leave much to do.

Deadpool is a neat concept, but I don't like the table design either. It reminds me of Avengers. I like the ball lock redirect ramp thing, but not much else. The neutered oneliners also hurt.

Zen censoring Medieval Madness is a little funny. They could have established credibility with any 70 other tables first. I am more willing to get into virtual pinball cabinets knowing this stuff could be added. Regular Zen tables are snoozefests except Fear Itself, which is great.
gct

Post by gct »

Late to the thread. Nearly zero experience with physical pinball tables, but loved digital pinball for as long as I can remember, starting with Night Mission, and later Space Cadet, but I haven't played anything since then. Bear in mind I am extremely novice because I only just found out that nudging is a thing, and have a vague idea of how to activate and complete (some) missions.

So I just discovered Zen Pinball 2 on PSVita last week and have been enjoying it immensely. But I'm having a lot of frustration with the Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 table, it seems there are 2 or 3 ramps or chutes or whatever they're called, that fairly consistently send the ball straight down between the flippers that I can't touch without nudging the table. In fact the launch from the ball save is one of them. Is this something about the design, or do I just need to git gud?

edit: I guess I'm not the only one. (https://forum.zenstudios.com/showthread ... king-right)
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

There are some pretty notorious drain monsters, both of the physical and digital variety .. :lol:
Corwill

Post by Corwill »

Udderdude wrote:There are some pretty notorious drain monsters, both of the physical and digital variety .. :lol:
That's for sure :mrgreen: :roll:
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Anyone seen or heard anything about this? Looks pretty impressive, getting a lot of Devil's Crush vibes out of this one.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/422510/DEMONS_TILT/
wgogh

Post by wgogh »

Looks like my kind of thing.
Yeah, Devil's Crush vibe, but most of all its sequel Dragon's Revenge.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

So Stern's latest table is .. The Munsters. Based on the 60's TV show. Not sure who this is supposed to appeal to, but the table itself looks pretty good. Some versions have the lower playfield, some don't. Gameplay footage from Deadflip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4x1ASC1o-E
RiderKick

Post by RiderKick »

Is it just me or is it hard sometimes to find a good camera angle for the Williams Tables in Pinball FX3?

It's not that they aren't fun to play, but i can't help but want a custom camera option for tables like Attack From Mars sometimes.

Also, Demon's Tilt looks amazing and something i really damn want, and damn, i still haven't bought Pinball Wicked yet and there's already a new cool looking Pinball game!
Austin

Post by Austin »

Udderdude wrote:So Stern's latest table is .. The Munsters. Based on the 60's TV show. Not sure who this is supposed to appeal to
The same crowd as Batman '66. Lots of pinball collectors are old dudes.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Udderdude wrote:So Stern's latest table is .. The Munsters. Based on the 60's TV show. Not sure who this is supposed to appeal to, but the table itself looks pretty good. Some versions have the lower playfield, some don't. Gameplay footage from Deadflip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4x1ASC1o-E
Yeah, that's a head-scratcher as a theme but it looks like good times. That's interesting that some versions lack the lower playfield. I didn't realize that versions of the same table could differ that much.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Addams Family was one of the more successful pinball machines, though that was based on the movie. I like the theme, and the Munsters show myself. I hope the LCD screen handhelds Fast Motion (TM) well. ;)
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

RiderKick wrote:Is it just me or is it hard sometimes to find a good camera angle for the Williams Tables in Pinball FX3?

It's not that they aren't fun to play, but i can't help but want a custom camera option for tables like Attack From Mars sometimes.
I don't really have a problem with FX3's camera angles, but I guess someone could get spoiled after using Visual Pinball, and the ability to set whatever camera angle/scale/zoom they want.
RiderKick wrote:Also, Demon's Tilt looks amazing and something i really damn want, and damn, i still haven't bought Pinball Wicked yet and there's already a new cool looking Pinball game!
Yeah, Pinball Wicked is pretty good. Need to play it more, lol