B&O MX4/6/7000 - troubleshooting and general information

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
perah

Re: B&O MX4/6/7000 - troubleshooting and general information

Post by perah »

Id be really happy if someone can confirm a working autoswitching rgb setup? and their console/cable spec? :(
Makinx

Post by Makinx »

Autoswitching works for me, as long as I provide 12v to pin 8. Autoswitching should work with voltages as low as 5v (although you will get a widescreen image). Not all my scart cables are wired that way and not all my consoles provide 12v in their av out. It all works fine with the Dreamcast and the RGB cable that came with it when I bought it back in 1999.

The 12 volts to pin 8 is a European tv feature, so I can imagine the Japanese Dreamcast (and other non-European consoles) not providing this voltage.
perah

Post by perah »

Thank you for your reply!,

My rgb cable is wired 5v, cant change and try 12v since the av connector is missing the pins and dont want to solder on my dreamcast pcb.

Now both my consoles are (MD2+DC) works in rgb and provide 5v to pin 8., I did try to remove pin 8 & 16(running them through a switch) and added external power with common ground but still no change.

Are you running both your av ports as active?, could there be any setting I am missing.
Makinx

Post by Makinx »

I don't have any special settings. The autoswitching works on any console that provides 12v to pin 8 that I own and for which I have a scart cable wired as such. Pal SNES, pal Dreamcast, pal Philips cdi, pal Gamecube. I normally have these consoles connected through the gscartsw, which does not provide 12v to pin 8.

I don't particularly like the autoswitching feature. It's hardly any trouble switching the tv on myself and sometimes the tv turns on by itself even when I don't have a console turned on.
modology

Post by modology »

I got myself MX7000 today. It has some kind of strange edge bending /distortion issue which goes away when I try to scale screen horizontally abit.
It can be seen on the video here
https://youtu.be/buKUjMvPJ4Q

Still not sure if this is due to old capacitors or can be remedied with software adjustment (which i've spent like couple of hours with no luck)
Makinx

Post by Makinx »

modology wrote:I got myself MX7000 today. It has some kind of strange edge bending /distortion issue which goes away when I try to scale screen horizontally abit.

Still not sure if this is due to old capacitors or can be remedied with software adjustment (which i've spent like couple of hours with no luck)
You can't fix that level of distortion with the service menu. It looks like a cap issue to me. You might want to check/replace all of the electrolytics on the main board.
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

My workplace is cleaning out one of the microscopy rooms, and there's an MX4000VD (51 cm, 20") that hasn't been used for ages (at least not in the last 8 years).

Unfortunately I haven't been able to test it because the remote is missing.

I can arrange for a sale as it will just get trashed otherwise.

Local pick-up only, Lund, Sweden. PM if interested.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uzlBW8XWvIgMOkda2
modology

Post by modology »

Makinx wrote:
modology wrote:I got myself MX7000 today. It has some kind of strange edge bending /distortion issue which goes away when I try to scale screen horizontally abit.

You can't fix that level of distortion with the service menu. It looks like a cap issue to me. You might want to check/replace all of the electrolytics on the main board.
Can anyone share the high resolution scan for MX7000 service manual? The one available for download online from google search is very low resolution and I can barely tell which from which after zooming in. Thanks
thegreathopper

Post by thegreathopper »

I have a 4200 and have about 5 mm chopped off of the left of the screen, does anyone know if VR1 on the small pcb above the neck board adjusts screen position?

On the 7000 i have there is a pot on the neck board to centralise picture, i have been in to settings and the picture is shifted to the left as much as it will go.

On my SNES the picture is perfect but Neo Geo shifts to the left quite a lot!
Fight war not wars
TwiSteR

Post by TwiSteR »

Hi guys, this is my first post on this forum, and I'm glad that there is a thread dedicated to these great B&O tellys.

Recently I bought MX7000 (SW 4.4) with Beo 1000 remote, and it works great. I'm especially impressed with the sound quality. :wink:

I want to connect my PS2 and Wii (both are PAL) on this TV via RGB SACRT cables. I found these cables on RetroGamingCables site, and they have them in two versions of sync. For PS2 they have sync on luma and CSYNC (composite sync) cables, and for Wii they have sync over composite (currently it's out of stock) and CSYNC cables.
For PS2 I chose sync on luma SCART cable, but for Wii I don't know if I chose CSYNC cable, will it work with this TV? Does MX7000 handles CSYNC?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Daytime Dreamer

Post by Daytime Dreamer »

Quick question for anyone that knows: I know these B&Qs are darker than a normal CRT monitor but is there any setting in the service menu to make them a bit brighter?

Thanks
Makinx

Post by Makinx »

They aren't really darker, it's just that the contrast screen in front of the crt makes it appear that way. You can either take the contrast screen off (I don't recommend it but some people like it), or raise the contrast and brightness settings in the menu. No need to fiddle with the service menu.
TwiSteR

Post by TwiSteR »

Does somebody know how to take off contrast screen? I would like to remove it to clean it from the inner side, but I don't know how to do that.
And one more question. I have DVD player hooked up to my MX7000 (SW 4.4) via RGB scart cable, and the picture is great, but a little darker. What's interesting is that when I push menu button on the remote, the image moves slightly to the right, and becomes a little brighter (just as I wish :)). But when I leave the menu, the image returns to the previous state, and again it is slightly darker.
Do I need to change some parameters in service menu to fix this?

Sent from Honor 9
Makinx

Post by Makinx »

TwiSteR wrote:Hi guys, this is my first post on this forum, and I'm glad that there is a thread dedicated to these great B&O tellys.

Recently I bought MX7000 (SW 4.4) with Beo 1000 remote, and it works great. I'm especially impressed with the sound quality. :wink:

I want to connect my PS2 and Wii (both are PAL) on this TV via RGB SACRT cables. I found these cables on RetroGamingCables site, and they have them in two versions of sync. For PS2 they have sync on luma and CSYNC (composite sync) cables, and for Wii they have sync over composite (currently it's out of stock) and CSYNC cables.
For PS2 I chose sync on luma SCART cable, but for Wii I don't know if I chose CSYNC cable, will it work with this TV? Does MX7000 handles CSYNC?

Thanks in advance for your help.
CSYNC works fine on the tv. It's the same as sync over composite, but with the composite video signal removed.
TwiSteR wrote:Does somebody know how to take off contrast screen? I would like to remove it to clean it from the inner side, but I don't know how to do that.
There are 2 plastic strips running across the top and bottom of your screen. You need to remove these strips to uncover the 4 screws underneath. The screws are what holds the contrast screen in place. Be careful not to break the plastic strips, because they might not come off easily.
TwiSteR wrote: And one more question. I have DVD player hooked up to my MX7000 (SW 4.4) via RGB scart cable, and the picture is great, but a little darker. What's interesting is that when I push menu button on the remote, the image moves slightly to the right, and becomes a little brighter (just as I wish :)). But when I leave the menu, the image returns to the previous state, and again it is slightly darker.
Do I need to change some parameters in service menu to fix this?
When you go to the menu, the tv switches from RGB mode to composite signal. It does this because the menu requires the RGB lines to display the OSD. That is what causes the brighter (and poor quality) picture. If you use a CSYNC scart cable, the screen will turn black when the menu is on, because there is no composite video signal.
Yardley

Post by Yardley »

Hey guys, I am thinking about buying an MX4000 from Italy, FW version 4.7. Will I be ok using it in the US? I'm guessing I'll need a voltage converter but will my consoles run ok on it?
Makinx

Post by Makinx »

You should be fine as long as you buy the proper cables.
Yardley

Post by Yardley »

Makinx wrote:You should be fine as long as you buy the proper cables.
Thank you. Do you guys know anything about the MX 5000 NTSC M Model: USA3250 and how it compares to other MX sets? I haven’t seen much talk about it.
gorgias

Re: This is now about the B&O MX4/6/7000 CRT TV

Post by gorgias »

Jelly wrote:Have any one of you gotten the 480i to 240p deinterlacing to work on a MX8000 model? I'm following the instructions in the futurematt5 video, but I seem to have a different system menu.
Silly, I still havn't gotten the instructions for the 480i to 240p deinterlacing to work on the MX8000 now, half a year later, despite trying on several occasions with different consoles.
Can anyone confirm that it works on the MX8000? The menu seems to be different from the older models.

For me, pressing 'picture','shift','7' in that order does the trick.
Thanks, it doesn't seem to work for me. I've tried variations of the GO, shift and 7 in both the picture menu, options menu, with different AV ports and in the TV mode, with no success.
Perhaps it's because the menu is different on the MX8000 compared to the MX7000 videos I've seen.
My menu doesn't seem to be an overlay menu like yours, it only displays the picture when I'm in the picture mode as shown in this clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swVGjQBFrAA

Anyone with any ideas?
Yeah, located a service manual. Press menu, then 0, 0 and go. Et viola! Service menu!

Anybody on here have any good geometry settings for the MX8000 set? Just got mine, and the default settings are a mess...
Yardley

Post by Yardley »

Hi all, I just got a Beo4 remote for my MX4000. I figured there had to be a way to turn off the LCD on the remote and according to the manual, pressing exit should do it, but nothing happens when I press exit. I'm I doing something wrong?
Makinx

Post by Makinx »

I don't think the lcd can be turned off. The exit button is for leaving whatever menu you are in at that moment. Why would you want to turn it off though?
Yardley

Post by Yardley »

Makinx wrote:I don't think the lcd can be turned off. The exit button is for leaving whatever menu you are in at that moment. Why would you want to turn it off though?
No reason really I just wanted to make sure the controller is working properly and you're correct, there's no way to turn it off. The way it is worded in the manual makes it seem like you can.
DAVI22

Re: This is now about the B&O MX4/6/7000 CRT TV

Post by DAVI22 »

futurematt5 wrote:I don't have any exp of the 8000 but when in picture menu you want to be sure the beo4 is in shift mode before hitting 7, usual error is hitting shift while remote signal is readable by the set. Ie point the remote away while selecting shift, leave while displaying shift on lcd, then hit 7 while pointed at tv.
hello everyone, I have a model b & o 8600 with command beo4 orignal, I followed your video but I can not get in this model to force the non-interlaced mode,

then press MENU,then press PICTURE ....where this PICTURE? is MENU,TV SETUP,OPTIONS,PICTURE???????

My menu remote control:

This is my service menu:

Has someone managed to do it? many thanks!
Makinx

Post by Makinx »

That's a Beovision 1 model. I don't believe those have the deinterlacing function built in.
Yardley

Post by Yardley »

Hi guys, will the MX4000 accept component via a scart to component passthrough adapter? I was also wondering if there is a way to connect a subwoofer somehow?
Makinx

Post by Makinx »

Yardley wrote:Hi guys, will the MX4000 accept component via a scart to component passthrough adapter? I was also wondering if there is a way to connect a subwoofer somehow?
It can't handle YPbPr signals, so a simple adapter won't work. You would need a component to rgb transcoder. Even then it will only work for 480i/240p signals. 480p and higher are a no go.

The set has audio outputs in the back. I've never used them (on my MX7000) and my knowledge of audio is limited so I don't know which audio device you can hook up to it. The set has impressive audio by itself IMO.
Yardley

Post by Yardley »

Makinx wrote:
Yardley wrote:Hi guys, will the MX4000 accept component via a scart to component passthrough adapter? I was also wondering if there is a way to connect a subwoofer somehow?
It can't handle YPbPr signals, so a simple adapter won't work. You would need a component to rgb transcoder. Even then it will only work for 480i/240p signals. 480p and higher are a no go.

The set has audio outputs in the back. I've never used them (on my MX7000) and my knowledge of audio is limited so I don't know which audio device you can hook up to it. The set has impressive audio by itself IMO.
Thanks, I figured it couldn’t take component. The sound is very good but it’s not quite at the level of my Sony FV310 with it’s built in subwoofer.
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

The DIN audio outputs on B&O televisions from that era are designed to interface with era appropriate B&O powered speakers. As impressive as the sound on B&O CRT televisions is I've had mine hooked up to a pair of Beolab 6000's and the improvement in sound is pretty clear. Until very recently I also had a pair of Beolab 8000's which play significantly better than the 6000's, but I reserved those for my use with my LCD TV and modern games. I sold those off now, and looking to sell the 6000's a well.

You can get converter cables that switch between the proprietary DIN interface of B&O equipment to regular RCA, so you could hook a B&O TV to an audio receiver or a pair of third party powered speakers if you wished.

Pretty soon I am going to do major overhaul of my entertainment system, going all in on modern B&O devices. I'll buy one of their absurdly expensive OLED television sets and a pair of Beolab 18's, which are basically the modern version of the classic Beolab 8000's. They look amazing in brass tone combined with oak wood fronts.

The Beolab 18's are wireless though, so hooking those up to my old analog sources is going to be a big headache so far as research has revealed to me. I might just keep the 6000's around for hassle free better audio out of my B&O CRT's, and use the 18's with the modern stuff. I kind of do still want to eat my cake and still have it. Time will tell if I can pull that off.
federov

Post by federov »

Hi!

I've got a MX3500 and I'm running a PAL SNES with RGB-Scart. The TV gives me the wrong aspect ratio, I get 16:9 instead of 4:3.
Any ideas on how to solve this ? I read something about removing power from pin 8 on the scart cable.
Also cannot find servicemode pin in the TV, it's not in the same place as shown in the videos/pictures I've managed to find.
Yardley

Post by Yardley »

kamiboy wrote:The DIN audio outputs on B&O televisions from that era are designed to interface with era appropriate B&O powered speakers. As impressive as the sound on B&O CRT televisions is I've had mine hooked up to a pair of Beolab 6000's and the improvement in sound is pretty clear. Until very recently I also had a pair of Beolab 8000's which play significantly better than the 6000's, but I reserved those for my use with my LCD TV and modern games. I sold those off now, and looking to sell the 6000's a well.

You can get converter cables that switch between the proprietary DIN interface of B&O equipment to regular RCA, so you could hook a B&O TV to an audio receiver or a pair of third party powered speakers if you wished.

Pretty soon I am going to do major overhaul of my entertainment system, going all in on modern B&O devices. I'll buy one of their absurdly expensive OLED television sets and a pair of Beolab 18's, which are basically the modern version of the classic Beolab 8000's. They look amazing in brass tone combined with oak wood fronts.

The Beolab 18's are wireless though, so hooking those up to my old analog sources is going to be a big headache so far as research has revealed to me. I might just keep the 6000's around for hassle free better audio out of my B&O CRT's, and use the 18's with the modern stuff. I kind of do still want to eat my cake and still have it. Time will tell if I can pull that off.
Thanks, I have found these cables online since making my post. They're great! The possibilities are endless now :D
elminster

Post by elminster »

Gunstar wrote:Thanks for the info guys!

I've contacted the seller and they're away until after easter so it'll be a wait before they can get a master code on my behalf. Amazed there's no hack for it though! Seems I need to open it to see if it has a hotel module, might do that later but I couldn't find a pic of it on the net, I'm assuming it should be easy to spot..
Did you ever get a master code for your MX8000 set? I've got one myself, which is locked :-(