Custom Neo Geo MVS arcade

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
shmupsrocks

Custom Neo Geo MVS arcade

Post by shmupsrocks »

I know the Neo Geo isn't generally considered the king of shmups but there's something about them that draws me in more than shmups on other platforms. I'm going to have a custom bartop arcade machine built with a real Neo Geo MVS motherboard inside, an exposed slot for cartridges, and a small screen in the 10" range. Does anyone have any suggestions on making it as great as possible? Image quality (non-CRT), audio, controls, etc?
Konsolkongen

Re: Custom Neo Geo MVS arcade

Post by Konsolkongen »

If you're going the LCD route I would suggest overclocking the MVS a tiny bit to get proper 59.94Hz rather than the obscure 59.18Hz that it normally runs at.

Most TVs have trouble displaying this refresh, and if they do they most likely will display slight stutter due to the needed framerate conversion.

Look into the 'Dual Frequency Oscillator' mod. That's what I used to OC mine. Of course assembling this and programming it does require some knowledge on electronics.

As for the controls, use good quality parts. I love Sanwa sticks, but I mainly play fighters these days. If Shmups are your only use then maybe look into Seimitsu LS-32 or LS-56 sticks, the latter being really good for Shmups IMO, but absolutely awful for fighters.

Haven't followed the scene in a while so there might be better alternatives out there.

As for the buttons, personally I'm Sanwa all the way, nothing has ever come close in my opinion. They react instantly and are very light to press down. Really great for shmups I think, but obviously fighters as well. Also they look the nicest too :)
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

The MV-1B is perfect for a bartop. its the smallest mvs motherboard. not only that but the cart mounts sideways and the board doesnt go all the way under the cart. perfect to have it sticking out of the front under the control panel.
hernan43

Post by hernan43 »

Is there anywhere online that sells the DFO mods pre-programmed for the Neo Geo? I think videogameperfection.com sells them but they are pre-programmed for the Playstation/Megadrive I think. Or will these work for the NeoGeo as well?
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Dfo? I thought the entire library was 60hz...
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

hernan43 wrote:Is there anywhere online that sells the DFO mods pre-programmed for the Neo Geo? I think videogameperfection.com sells them but they are pre-programmed for the Playstation/Megadrive I think. Or will these work for the NeoGeo as well?
They won’t work. I can’t remember the exaxt frequenzy, but I think I do have the hex file that needs to be flashed still. Maybe you can ask them to flash that for you.
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

The DFO isn't necessary if connecting to a CRT?
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Its my understanding that all MVS units are 60hz.

The AES can be either 50hz or 60hz. Happy to be corrected.
Kez

Post by Kez »

The "dual" part isn't that important here, it is simply that the DFO is an oscillator that can be programmed to whatever frequency you need. It is not a 50/60hz issue but that the MVS output "60hz" is actually pretty far from 60hz. I guess you could set it up to have the DFO switch between a standardized 59.94hz and the "stock" 59.18hz.
hernan43

Post by hernan43 »

I'm going to just assemble them myself. I bought all the parts to make a programmer. It will end up being a hair cheaper than buying one from VGP.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Kez wrote:The "dual" part isn't that important here, it is simply that the DFO is an oscillator that can be programmed to whatever frequency you need. It is not a 50/60hz issue but that the MVS output "60hz" is actually pretty far from 60hz. I guess you could set it up to have the DFO switch between a standardized 59.94hz and the "stock" 59.18hz.
That’s how I have mine set up :)
holaplaneta

Post by holaplaneta »

hernan43 wrote:I'm going to just assemble them myself. I bought all the parts to make a programmer. It will end up being a hair cheaper than buying one from VGP.
Would you sell me one please or two?

I always wondered if for neo geo you need the 3.3V or 5V one.

Thanks!
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

Consolising a new geo will either require a supergun or soldering onto the JAMMA edge.

If you go with a supergun, I would only expose the vertical cartridge of the MVS and have a JAMMA extension going to your super gun. This would let you play other boards in the same cocktail setup.

I would look for older tft monitors. I have a few that work well with my x68000 in different 15khz modes.

There are monitors for cars and portable DVD players that are 640 x 240 and 320 x 240 that would give you a unique look but you will probably want a line doubler to get your sharp scan lines. The OSSC works great but is expensive to include as a cocktail unless you had other video games in the bar using it as well.

Here’s arough build list

MVS $60-200

Supergun $75-200

Monitor $40-150

Sanwa - $65 per player

OSSC -$240

Banana or multicart - $75 -$450

Hardware and hinges - $40
Copyright 1987
xterc

Post by xterc »

A cheaper alternative to the DFO is to use a programmable osscilator, these cost about $5 from DigiKey.

https://twitter.com/antongale/status/11 ... 87554?s=19
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

I just changed my crystal to a 24.350mhz one. It’s super tiny but it actually worked. I posted it in another thread. The oscillator looks good though