Has anyone successfully hook up a Switch to BKM-HD142?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
andy251203

Re: Has anyone successfully hook up a Switch to BKM-HD142?

Post by andy251203 »

This is not a solution to your problem, but I would highly recommend using a PC CRT like a Sony GDM if you want to play Switch on a CRT. I have mine hooked up to my GDM-FW900 and it looks amazing. And you get 1080p, which is not possible on your PVM. Use one of those $15 Tendak HDMI to VGA converters.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

andy251203 wrote:This is not a solution to your problem, but I would highly recommend using a PC CRT like a Sony GDM if you want to play Switch on a CRT. I have mine hooked up to my GDM-FW900 and it looks amazing. And you get 1080p, which is not possible on your PVM. Use one of those $15 Tendak HDMI to VGA converters.
This

The Switch has too many games above 720p to be playing on a PVM/BVM CRT.
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

Yep, OP might want to give away his 20L5 'couse GDM-FW900 Sony's actually grow on trees :roll:

Anyway, I can't be of much help. Maybe check on the spec sheet that your SDI converter outputs a standard signal (SMPTE 296M).

In any case, converting the signal to analog won't be detrimental to picture quality - on the contrary, it might be superior to HD-SDI (which is downscaled to 4:2:2).
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Switch probably looks pretty sweet on a 20L5. Besides, many games aren't 1080p anyway, they're 900p and scaled up. So running at 720p, you won't be missing out as much as you think.

That said, I play Switch on a PC CRT and I love it.
werk91

Post by werk91 »

Has anyone tried the Switch in 480p on CRTs? Do most games support 4:3 at all? I know the ACA titles and things like Wild Guns and SF 30th should be fine but what about say Mario Kart? Been wondering whether to try mine with HDMI to component converter on the BVM.. Just for quick sessions of arcade type games when living room TV is in use. And I'm after 480p since its full screen, not too crazy about the black bars top and bottom that 720p has on my monitor.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

werk91 wrote:Has anyone tried the Switch in 480p on CRTs? Do most games support 4:3 at all? I know the ACA titles and things like Wild Guns and SF 30th should be fine but what about say Mario Kart? Been wondering whether to try mine with HDMI to component converter on the BVM.. Just for quick sessions of arcade type games when living room TV is in use. And I'm after 480p since its full screen, not too crazy about the black bars top and bottom that 720p has on my monitor.
Every game on the Wii U was 16:9. So I doubt anything on the Switch will support 4:3.

You need to get used to the black bars.

Your (and my) only hope nowadays is PC. Many PC games still support 4:3 (and 16:10, and 21:9, and 5:4, and so on)
werk91

Post by werk91 »

Thank you for clarifying! Maybe the black bars won't be so bad if I had the 16:9 bezel that you can clip on the monitor's screen. Doubt I'll ever find that for sale though :) Here's someone on Reddit playing Switch on same monitor as mine but 17" size: r/crtgaming. The widescreen bezel definitively helps with the whole look.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Dude why does it make a difference whether you have a bezel or not? You're looking at the image on the screen, no the black bars.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

I would think that bezel would be moot/useless if you intend to switch back and forth between 16:9 and 4:3 content, otherwise you're continually installing and uninstalling it, risking damage to a rare part.
werk91

Post by werk91 »

Its just an OCD thing guys :mrgreen: Can agree that it'll be impractical to constantly switch it out, and obviously not owning the bezel won't stop me from trying it.