SONY BVM-A32E1WU - $25,000

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Gara

Re: SONY BVM-A32E1WU - $25,000

Post by Gara »

GeneraLight wrote:Yeah, and I can tell you that all of the BVM listings on eBay right now are all way above market value. Some are disproportionally higher than others, like the subject of this thread for example. There's a D24 going for $5300 that's been sitting on eBay for months now. If it were at market value, someone would have bought it a long time ago. There's a guy on eBay who's scalping BVMs for sky-high prices. He listed a D32 on there a month ago for $7500 and r/crtgaming tore him a new one. Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, not what you think it's worth in your delusional mind. Now mind you, eBay charges a 10% fee for sellers so I can understand prices being a bit higher on there than on other websites. I could charge 1 million dollars for a BVM and call people clueless while refusing to budge on the price. It doesn't mean it's worth 1 million dollars. You aren't sitting on white gold. You don't have a holy grail. Get over yourself and come back down to Earth.
Prices are high on Ebay because you're basically selling each monitor with a warranty. You can't sell anything without a guarantee that the item will get there in the condition it was sold. Selling CRT's on there is high risk. One bad drop and you're out the the crt, shipping fees, and packaging costs. The only way to avoid that is to sell for parts and hardly anyone does that. People still like to look at Ebay as the reference point of worth. Very annoying.

r/crtgaming and other crt communities kind of have rose colored glasses when it comes to the value of these things. There are people paying big bucks for these things. The ones paying top dollar just aren't posting and bragging about it. The people finding them for free or near nothing are the most vocal and so it's easy to think that's their true value. Plus there is a ridicule factor involved anytime someone posts about paying over the communities perceived value.

I certainly don't like it but the hype is real.
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

What's the point of asking us about price if youre all gonna disagree with us anyways? I'm just saying that with patience and luck people can find good deals on some nice monitors. $400 for a D32 about half a year ago isn't that far off for what they should go for. Good alternatives keep showing up all the time, like with good crt tv and the rgb mods on alot of different tv's. Up-scalers and line doublers are getting better and more affordable as well. And even more consoles are getting the hdmi treatment. So yeah the D32 has the best tube in all of crt's but as anyone that has dealt with large crt's know these things are a mother fucker to deal with.
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

tacoguy64 wrote:I'm just saying that with patience and luck people can find good deals on some nice monitors. $400 for a D32 about half a year ago isn't that far off for what they should go for.
If patience and luck are needed then the price is clearly not "market rate."

The truth is the number of sales for these monitors is way too low to generate a "market rate" price.
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications
orange808

Post by orange808 »

We all sell our gear for what we can get. Sorry, it's nothing personal. :)

The back channel routes to professional monitors have closed up around here; virtually everything goes to auction as a lot now and nobody wants to negotiate. For the business owner, it's probably much easier that way. I understand.

Reseller bidders have gotten very savvy and the lots with valuable displays don't come cheap. Often, the valuable pieces don't get separated out. They just sell the lot and that's it. After that, the buyer splits the lot and the best pieces show up on eBay.

The good news for me is that most of these people depend entirely on Google to understand what they're buying--and some good video processing stuff falls through the cracks for me.

Too many trust fund kids and resellers in this hobby, now.
We apologise for the inconvenience