SONY BVM-A32E1WU - $25,000

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
SNK-NEO-GEO

SONY BVM-A32E1WU - $25,000

Post by SNK-NEO-GEO »

Does anyone have $25k?.. You get free shipping:)
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... 2&_sacat=0

I was looking at how much the BVM-D32 are going for (going to be listing my BVM-D32 on Sunday) and I can not find anything from item sold.. But I found the above listing :shock: ...
The Future Is Now
svensonson

Re: SONY BVM-A32E1WU - $25,000

Post by svensonson »

I guess he needs the money for his brain surgery.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

You should just send the D32 to me. It's old and I'll recycle it for you.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

DirkSwizzler wrote:You should just send the D32 to me. It's old and I'll recycle it for you.
It'll be cheaper to ship it to me. :)
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

nmalinoski wrote:
DirkSwizzler wrote:You should just send the D32 to me. It's old and I'll recycle it for you.
It'll be cheaper to ship it to me. :)
True. But he won’t recycle it properly.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

"in excellent almost brand new condition."
*has huge damage on the back*
*has over 20,000 hours of operation*
*is an A-series so it will have sync issues with a lot of consoles, regardless of whether it has the BKM-68X or not*
Last edited by Ikaruga11 on Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

That's insane. I remember like 2 years ago when i was trying to get one of these off from ebay for like $500 after talking them down a bit. Eventually I backed away since I couldn't pick it up at the time and they wouldn't ship it. But recently I saw a D24 for sale here for like $2,000 dollars and thought that was bad too. Mind you it was in pristine condition but that's still too pricey.

A D32 would probably fetch at least $1000 dollars but that could depend a lot where you live and if you are willing to ship. You could probably list the thing at $2000 and get offers for it.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

tacoguy64 wrote:That's insane. I remember like 2 years ago when i was trying to get one of these off from ebay for like $500 after talking them down a bit. Eventually I backed away since I couldn't pick it up at the time and they wouldn't ship it. But recently I saw a D24 for sale here for like $2,000 dollars and thought that was bad too. Mind you it was in pristine condition but that's still too pricey.

A D32 would probably fetch at least $1000 dollars but that could depend a lot where you live and if you are willing to ship. You could probably list the thing at $2000 and get offers for it.
Anything above $2500 is a ripoff, including this listing. Even 2.5k is generously pushing it. This is literally 10x the max amount it should be selling for.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

GeneraLight wrote:
tacoguy64 wrote:That's insane. I remember like 2 years ago when i was trying to get one of these off from ebay for like $500 after talking them down a bit. Eventually I backed away since I couldn't pick it up at the time and they wouldn't ship it. But recently I saw a D24 for sale here for like $2,000 dollars and thought that was bad too. Mind you it was in pristine condition but that's still too pricey.

Anything above $2500 is a ripoff, including this listing. Even 2.5k is generously pushing it. This is literally 10x the max amount it should be selling for.
That seems surprising to me. The availability of D32's seems spectacularly low. Low availability makes "worth" a very fuzzy evaluation.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

GeneraLight wrote:*is an A-series so it will have sync issues with a lot of consoles, regardless of whether it has the BKM-68X or not*
Is that so? The A series seems superior in a lot of points compared to the D series.
svensonson

Post by svensonson »

Lawfer wrote:
GeneraLight wrote:*is an A-series so it will have sync issues with a lot of consoles, regardless of whether it has the BKM-68X or not*
Is that so? The A series seems superior in a lot of points compared to the D series.
Nope. A series were just later manufactured than D Series but the D series came with RGBS board by default. D series doesn’t have these sync issues at all.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

DirkSwizzler wrote:That seems surprising to me. The availability of D32's seems spectacularly low. Low availability makes "worth" a very fuzzy evaluation.
D32s are a lot more common than A32s. The reason why I'm saying this is because the only market for BVM CRTs are videophiles who use them to get the absolute best picture out of their RGB modded video game systems and movie players, which is an extremely niche audience. I've seen a D32 sell for as low as $400 on eBay fairly recently (last year).
Lawfer wrote:
The A series is newer and thus units typically have less hours on them than D-series units. The A-Series also allow for 4:4:4 1080i60 through HD-SDI, while the D-series can only do 4:2:2 1080i60 through HD-SDI. Both however can only do 4:2:2 720p60 through HD-SDI. Only the F24 can do 4:4:4 720p60 through HD-SDI, and even then the F24 can't do 4:4:4 1080p60.

The big reasons why A-series are less desirable than D-series is because the BKM-68X expansion board that is required for analog RGB/YPbPr output does not come included with the BVM by default, and are hard to find and often very expensive. There's also the fact that the A-series lacks the VCR Mode/AFC feature for 15kHz content, meaning consoles like the Sega Master System and NeoGeo AES will have sync issues.
svensonson

Post by svensonson »

DirkSwizzler wrote:
GeneraLight wrote:

That seems surprising to me. The availability of D32's seems spectacularly low. Low availability makes "worth" a very fuzzy evaluation.
I think an D32 will easily fetch 2000-3000$ especially in the states. People do already spend 800-1000$ in 20F1U or 20L5 over there.
I think a CRT became a really important or even most important ( for a lot of us) piece of hardware in retrogaming world. Things have changed drastically in past 2-3 years
Just my opinion
SNK-NEO-GEO

Post by SNK-NEO-GEO »

GeneraLight wrote:

That's funny...
The Future Is Now
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

SNK-NEO-GEO wrote:
GeneraLight wrote:

That's funny...
Yeah it is
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

I'll pass on the $25K BVM-A32 -- I already have a low mileage D32. But I am defiantly jealous of that (factory?) hard road case it appears to come with.
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

GeneraLight wrote:
DirkSwizzler wrote:That seems surprising to me. The availability of D32's seems spectacularly low. Low availability makes "worth" a very fuzzy evaluation.
D32s are a lot more common than A32s. The reason why I'm saying this is because the only market for BVM CRTs are videophiles who use them to get the absolute best picture out of their RGB modded video game systems and movie players, which is an extremely niche audience. I've seen a D32 sell for as low as $400 on eBay fairly recently (last year).
Lawfer wrote:
The A series is newer and thus units typically have less hours on them than D-series units. The A-Series also allow for 4:4:4 1080i60 through HD-SDI, while the D-series can only do 4:2:2 1080i60 through HD-SDI. Both however can only do 4:2:2 720p60 through HD-SDI. Only the F24 can do 4:4:4 720p60 through HD-SDI, and even then the F24 can't do 4:4:4 1080p60.

The big reasons why A-series are less desirable than D-series is because the BKM-68X expansion board that is required for analog RGB/YPbPr output does not come included with the BVM by default, and are hard to find and often very expensive. There's also the fact that the A-series lacks the VCR Mode/AFC feature for 15kHz content, meaning consoles like the Sega Master System and NeoGeo AES will have sync issues.
Yeah just imagine the amount of retro gamers out there, they would probably be considered niche among the percentage of total gamers. Then take an even smaller percentage of the segment and separate the ones that don't play on a crt or even on actual retro consoles. And finally separate that niche into gamers that play on high end bvm and you got us. That's the market looking for these high end pvm/bvms.

There's still a bunch of factors to keep in mind.
Gara

Post by Gara »

It's a ridiculous price but not surprising. People are paying $1000+ for 20L5's. A D24 went for $2600 plus over 20% in hammer and taxes last month at auction without shipping. It wasn't even in good shape! While I have no idea the kind of person that drops that kind of money on these things it does seem to be the current norm.
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

Gara wrote:It's a ridiculous price but not surprising. People are paying $1000+ for 20L5's. A D24 went for $2600 plus over 20% in hammer and taxes last month at auction without shipping. It wasn't even in good shape! While I have no idea the kind of person that drops that kind of money on these things it does seem to be the current norm.
I don't agree. 20L5 for $1000 are edge cases. I see them sitting unsold at 800, 850, 600, 700 all month long on FB groups, eBay, and CL. From CA to NY. Yes, a few people have paid upwards of $1000 for them, but that's not even remotely the norm. Retro groups love to see one high price once or twice and assume that's the new norm, and then people list at these obscene prices and items sit unmoving for months. The 20L5 is absolutely a victim of this. 2 years ago you could buy one in CA for $250 any day of the week, now people think they're suddenly worth a rent payment and refuse to let go of them for anything less, and they sit, unsold, for months.

D24 are trickier to value. They simply come up less often. So if someone, or two people who are sick of waiting get to the same one at auction, anything could happen. I bought my D24 on eBay for $400 at open auction, picked up ten hours away. Sold it on eBay six months later for a Best Offer at $2800 by listing at 5k obo (credit to Zak for the idea). I was super shocked. But I've tucked that money away for a D32 should one pop up nearby, and then I'll be done buying monitors for good.

D32's even more tricky to value because yet again, there are even fewer. I know a couple guys who have bought them under a grand in the past six months, and a few who have paid closer to four.
SNK-NEO-GEO

Post by SNK-NEO-GEO »

when I got into this hobby, I looked for a very long time for RGB monitors.. I could not find shit in my area. I ended up buying from eBay Saven-phat two monitors at the going rate.. a person listed a few on local Craigslist at market value so I grabbed a few since they were bigger. I have only see a few pop up in my area.. 3 were below market value because they were from a studio.. the BVM-D that I got was at a decent price after a long while of monitoring eBay and seeing what they were selling for.. I F-ing laugh every time that I read the stupid comments on how these monitors could be found for close to nothing, I call bull sh**t. The 20L5 sells over over 1k with an unknown condition Save-phat has not listed one for a while so I expect a big jump on price from his side once he gets his hand on one.. what people are willing to pay here on this forum is never what others are paying and the actual market value for these things. if you want to prove me wrong sell me a BVM--D32 for 2k..or an 20L5 for $300 or list them here so a local member can buy it..

@dejatores - that is a great idea on eBay best offer.. I have to use that:)
The Future Is Now
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Yeah, and I can tell you that all of the BVM listings on eBay right now are all way above market value. Some are disproportionally higher than others, like the subject of this thread for example. There's a D24 going for $5300 that's been sitting on eBay for months now. If it were at market value, someone would have bought it a long time ago. There's a guy on eBay who's scalping BVMs for sky-high prices. He listed a D32 on there a month ago for $7500 and r/crtgaming tore him a new one. Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, not what you think it's worth in your delusional mind. Now mind you, eBay charges a 10% fee for sellers so I can understand prices being a bit higher on there than on other websites. I could charge 1 million dollars for a BVM and call people clueless while refusing to budge on the price. It doesn't mean it's worth 1 million dollars. You aren't sitting on white gold. You don't have a holy grail. Get over yourself and come back down to Earth.
Sefirosu789

Post by Sefirosu789 »

Gara wrote:It's a ridiculous price but not surprising. People are paying $1000+ for 20L5's. A D24 went for $2600 plus over 20% in hammer and taxes last month at auction without shipping. It wasn't even in good shape! While I have no idea the kind of person that drops that kind of money on these things it does seem to be the current norm.
I completely agree. Too many people get "comfortable" with the market value on these and feel it's acceptable to pay that kind of money.
SNK-NEO-GEO wrote:I F-ing laugh every time that I read the stupid comments on how these monitors could be found for close to nothing, I call bull sh**t.
Not true at all, source: I recently picked up some of the best monitors. Price? Free. If you are willing to send out 100+ emails you will get the results, but most people don't bother. Although it is getting harder, they are still out there.
SNK-NEO-GEO

Post by SNK-NEO-GEO »

I am going to leave this here - someone prove me wrong...if you want to prove me wrong sell me a BVM--D32 for 2k..or an 20L5 for $300 or list them here so a local member can buy it..
The Future Is Now
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

I do not have any of those monitors, and if I did I wouldn't sell them.
Sefirosu789

Post by Sefirosu789 »

SNK-NEO-GEO wrote:I am going to leave this here - someone prove me wrong...if you want to prove me wrong sell me a BVM--D32 for 2k..or an 20L5 for $300 or list them here so a local member can buy it..
Of course no "gamer" will sell you a 20L5 for $300 but there are other ways to get them for much lower prices you just need to take the initiative and be willing to search.
SNK-NEO-GEO wrote:what people are willing to pay here on this forum is never what others are paying and the actual market value for these things.
Then why come here and ask for information?

Its seems like you have already decided that you are going to stick it on eBay at a high price, so just be done with it. Besides, you purchased it from Savon Pat (probably at a high price) which says everything in itself imo. :lol:
svensonson

Post by svensonson »

GeneraLight wrote:Yeah, and I can tell you that all of the BVM listings on eBay right now are all way above market value. Some are disproportionally higher than others, like the subject of this thread for example. There's a D24 going for $5300 that's been sitting on eBay for months now. If it were at market value, someone would have bought it a long time ago. There's a guy on eBay who's scalping BVMs for sky-high prices. He listed a D32 on there a month ago for $7500 and r/crtgaming tore him a new one. Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, not what you think it's worth in your delusional mind. Now mind you, eBay charges a 10% fee for sellers so I can understand prices being a bit higher on there than on other websites. I could charge 1 million dollars for a BVM and call people clueless while refusing to budge on the price. It doesn't mean it's worth 1 million dollars. You aren't sitting on white gold. You don't have a holy grail. Get over yourself and come back down to Earth.
What does it mean? Because of 2 guys trying to sell their BVMs way above market value means that these monitors D24 and D32 are not worth anything?
If he list it on ebay for 2000$ it will be gone within 24h...that`s for sure...
philexile

Post by philexile »

It cracks me up whenever I read that someone is "scalping" BVM prices. The retail for the 20" D series monitors was around $15k. The D32 was around $40k. Neither of these included the upgrade modules, so you'd likely end up paying $50k for a D32.

There was a time around 2009-2011/12 when you could get these very cheap, more easily. Less people were interested and studios wanted to get rid of their abundant supply. Those days are over. You can still find deals, but they aren't going to be found on eBay.

This A32 auction is ridiculous, I'll give you that. I'll clue you guys into another thing: the hours listed are bullsh*t. It listed near 20k operation hours and about 150 CRT hours. I'm 99% sure that this guy saw the hours, reset them via the MAINTENANCE menu (very easy), and left it on for a week – then listed.

If this monitor, with 20k hours, was being sold honestly and was calibrated it could easily fetch $7,000. This isn't the case though.
Sefirosu789

Post by Sefirosu789 »

philexile wrote:This A32 auction is ridiculous, I'll give you that. I'll clue you guys into another thing: the hours listed are bullsh*t. It listed near 20k operation hours and about 150 CRT hours. I'm 99% sure that this guy saw the hours, reset them via the MAINTENANCE menu (very easy), and left it on for a week – then listed.
You can't reset the hours via the maintenance menu, at least on the D, E and F series. Only Sony service could do that. Unless the A series is different?

It could have just been left on standby for a long time (as they did back in the days) and only used as a spare/backup.
svensonson

Post by svensonson »

Sefirosu789 wrote:
philexile wrote:This A32 auction is ridiculous, I'll give you that. I'll clue you guys into another thing: the hours listed are bullsh*t. It listed near 20k operation hours and about 150 CRT hours. I'm 99% sure that this guy saw the hours, reset them via the MAINTENANCE menu (very easy), and left it on for a week – then listed.
You can't reset the hours via the maintenance menu, at least on the D, E and F series. Only Sony service could do that. Unless the A series is different?

It could have just been left on standby for a long time (as they did back in the days) and only used as a spare/backup.
you can reset the CRT hours but not OPERATION hours
Sefirosu789

Post by Sefirosu789 »

svensonson wrote:
Sefirosu789 wrote:

you can reset the CRT hours but not OPERATION hours
I didn't know that about the A series. In that case @philexile is most likely correct then. Thanks for clearing that up.