Super Turrican sound glitch

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
CkRtech

Re: Super Turrican sound glitch

Post by CkRtech »

It isn't the best, but it isn't the worst. I think the SNES design only receives the hate it does because of how much better the SFC looks. As for me, I stuck with a 1CHIP because I don't like the look of the Mini.

Remaining candid, I will say that I plan to eventually replace the case of my SNES with a custom one, so....I guess whatever rebuttal I have is moot.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

SNES is fugly, behold the power of the Sara Lee mold.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Slamy

Post by Slamy »

I realize that this thread is actually quite old. But still I need to revive it.
First of all. Hello I'm Slamy and I'm kinda interested in software, tinkering and stuff.
After stumbeling across this issue I kinda had an idea to actually solve this by reverse engineering the games code.
I actually had experience as I did a MSU1 hack for this game... so well....

I need testplayers to gather more test data if this patch really fixes this problem.
If you want to read more about my fix please visit my blog and tell me about your experiences:
http://slamyslab.blogspot.de/2017/03/su ... posal.html
CaptainCommando

Post by CaptainCommando »

1-CHIP Pal SNES and there is the sound glitch.
All people visiting this thread have a 1 chip or SNES mini console which makes it for the answer. Later SNES consoles aren't compatible with Super Turrican. Bug free users won't google issue at all

I have a pre 1-chip Super Famicom but region lock won't let me try the game

More people with pre 1 chip consoles and the game may confirm glitch free gameplay. Glitch also happens in demo mode after 5-10 minutes, so you don't have to play the game.

Thanks
James-F

Post by James-F »

An APU-01 console would tell if the cause of the music bug is the integration of the audio chips.
Since the APU-01 revision is still a 3chip but with a new '1chip' audio processing unit (apu).
Hopefully someone still interested in this and has the horrible APU-01 snes. :)
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

kamiboy wrote:Well, my NTSC/U SNES that the game would crash on is a 1CHIP. I have had a look at the motherboard. I have since purchased a Super Famicom with a pre-1CHIP revision motherboard. If I can be arsed to dig out the game I'll give it a shot on that.
Wow, so this thread is back from the dead huh? And several times too without my noticing it. I should prolly mention that I never tested my pre-1chip Super Famicom because it turned out to have a hardware fault of some sort involving the VRAM. Never did get to the bottom of that.
Slamy wrote:I realize that this thread is actually quite old. But still I need to revive it.
First of all. Hello I'm Slamy and I'm kinda interested in software, tinkering and stuff.
After stumbeling across this issue I kinda had an idea to actually solve this by reverse engineering the games code.

I need testplayers to gather more test data if this patch really fixes this problem.
If you want to read more about my fix please visit my blog and tell me about your experiences:
Interesting I would give this patched version a go to see if it fixes the issue, but I own no PAL SNES system.
rama

Post by rama »

Hmm, just played a round on a Japanese SFC 1Chip-03. The sound froze in level 2 while playing normally.
So yep, bug confirmed.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

kamiboy wrote:
kamiboy wrote:Well, my NTSC/U SNES that the game would crash on is a 1CHIP. I have had a look at the motherboard. I have since purchased a Super Famicom with a pre-1CHIP revision motherboard. If I can be arsed to dig out the game I'll give it a shot on that.
Wow, so this thread is back from the dead huh? And several times too without my noticing it. I should prolly mention that I never tested my pre-1chip Super Famicom because it turned out to have a hardware fault of some sort involving the VRAM. Never did get to the bottom of that.
Slamy wrote:I realize that this thread is actually quite old. But still I need to revive it.

Interesting I would give this patched version a go to see if it fixes the issue, but I own no PAL SNES system.
One of the comments say the patch doesn't work and I see no reason to doubt that.

I thought Super Turrican not working properly on 1CHIP systems was established to be true by this point.
FBX

Post by FBX »

James-F wrote:An APU-01 console would tell if the cause of the music bug is the integration of the audio chips.
Since the APU-01 revision is still a 3chip but with a new '1chip' audio processing unit (apu).
Hopefully someone still interested in this and has the horrible APU-01 snes. :)
I've got one and can test if people really are curious about this. But yeah, Super Turrican isn't compatible with 1CHIP revision SNES consoles and this includes the Junior. Not only can you end up with sound glitches, but I've had the game completely crash on a 1CHIP-03.
rama

Post by rama »

My bet is that it's a bug that requires the 1Chip redesign changes to trigger, that the APU-01 will not crash this way.
Slamy is probably on to something with the $2143 writes.
rama

Post by rama »

But the NTSC patch doesn't fix the issue.
I had the patched game running for about 2 hours (while working on my upscaler) and everything worked fine.
Just playing a little then, switching to the blue pulse gun and shooting a little, the audio froze.
So it's the same as the unpatched game here.