EXAーARCADIA [New Arcade Platform/Publisher]

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
MrJBRPG

Re: EXAーARCADIA [New Arcade Platform/Publisher]

Post by MrJBRPG »

Electric Underground has recently released another podcast, and this episode features EXA Arcadia as the star of the topic. A little over an hour of content with new information and it's philosophies about the future of arcade. Check out the podcast thread for the latest or click on this link below:

https://soundcloud.com/user-306325657
Shou
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Post by Shou »

RecklessRave wrote:Are there still plans to have EXA-ARCADIA at ReplayFX? I noticed it's the same weekend as California Extreme so I'm getting a little worried.
Unfortunately, we won't be at ReplayFX - they stopped being responsive.
become history
qmish

Post by qmish »

Shou wrote:
MrJBRPG wrote:I know that you aim for the platform to have as close to no input lag as possible, but I wonder if the default setup has joysticks as analogue or digital? If analogue, then the games can possibly have more precise movement for 3d games in addition to having digital signal movement for 2d games or ones with simple movement. However, if digital, then gameplay dictates in constant movement like on-off signals.

I asked this because various gamepads have "analog" thumb sticks that allow precise movement to select games as well as having sensitivity options when dealing with constant movement.

[Edit]
P.S. I look forward to seeing Exa Arcadia for play test at California Extreme!

Analog joysticks are not standard for normal arcade usage.
What does Gunslinger Stratos and others use?
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Gunslinger Stratos is a completely custom control setup, it uses buttons, analog sticks, and pointer controls, as well as magnetic buttons for connecting the two guns.

exa is for regular arcade cabinets, which come standard with 8-way digital joysticks, and buttons.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Nordicus0114

Post by Nordicus0114 »

Hey Shou, do you know when Aka to Blue Type R and Super Hydorah AC will be released? I heard both of those games will be released this summer
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Do we know what games will be available to test at CAX? I assume the same games available for Fightcade, but figured it'd be worth checking.
Shou

Post by Shou »

dunpeal2064 wrote:Do we know what games will be available to test at CAX? I assume the same games available for Fightcade, but figured it'd be worth checking.
List is on the CAX site.
become history
Shou

Post by Shou »

Nordicus0114 wrote:Hey Shou, do you know when Aka to Blue Type R and Super Hydorah AC will be released? I heard both of those games will be released this summer
When everything is ready.
become history
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

Shou wrote:
dunpeal2064 wrote:Do we know what games will be available to test at CAX? I assume the same games available for Fightcade, but figured it'd be worth checking.
List is on the CAX site.
For those who simply wnat to know the EXA games for demo, here is the following:

Aka and Blue Type R
Infinos EXA
Kung Fu VS Karate Champ
Strania EX
Super Hydorah AC

Those are 5 confirmed games for the new EXA hardware, currently in local testing phase.
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

I assume there will just be one cab and the games will be swapped out. Is there a time schedule for that, or do we just drop by occasionally to see what is up and running?
Shou

Post by Shou »

dunpeal2064 wrote:I assume there will just be one cab and the games will be swapped out. Is there a time schedule for that, or do we just drop by occasionally to see what is up and running?
No, we will have 6+ cabs including a CRT cab to show some games running on it.

Also, I will bring Sega Sonic Bros.
become history
Shou

Post by Shou »

MrJBRPG wrote:
Shou wrote:
List is on the CAX site.
For those who simply wnat to know the EXA games for demo, here is the following:

Aka and Blue Type R
Infinos EXA
Kung Fu VS Karate Champ
Strania EX
Super Hydorah AC

Those are 5 confirmed games for the new EXA hardware, currently in local testing phase.
There will be more, you'll have to be there to see...
become history
Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

Can we have some video of the games running?
Or is taking videos frowned upon, because these titles are in development?

The quality of available media from the events the Exa has been to, so far, is quite low.
Shou

Post by Shou »

Mantrox wrote:Can we have some video of the games running?
Or is taking videos frowned upon, because these titles are in development?

The quality of available media from the events the Exa has been to, so far, is quite low.
That’s up to attendees.
become history
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

One more week until CA Extreme! I am so excited to try out the newest arcade games, especially from Exa Arcadia

Edit: Related to platform support, STG Builder support publishing to EXA Arcadia platform with requirements, in Japanese of course:

https://twitter.com/exaarcadia/status/1 ... 2779078658
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

I hate having to bump, but simply put a reminder that EXA Arcadia location testing begins tomorrow at California Extreme.

Address:

Santa Clara Convention Center
5101 Great America Parkway
Santa Clara, CA

I am definitely attending for both days this weekend.
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Will be there as well... Already here, in fact!
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

dunpeal2064 wrote:Will be there as well... Already here, in fact!
You're doing god's work. Have fun!
My lord, I have come for you.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Hey Shou, just watched KevinDDR's Twitch footage of the CAX panels. Really interesting stuff. Shame about the audio problems during Mikado's panel, but I think I got the jist of it. Having multiple tournaments simultaneously and mixing the communities is really smart, I thought.

Do you guys have any plans for implementing some kind of system that would let me locate an Exa cabinet to play? Like a registry or something. An issue for me with arcade games is where to find them, as I'm not the type to explore around. The website Aurcade is a really cool idea but I don't think it's updated very often or consistently. I used it a few years ago to find a decent arcade somewhat near me (about 30 minutes away, over a mountain range, so not ideal). I'm hoping someone in my town will operate an Exa cab at some point so I wouldn't have to go very far.

Also, are you going to be making new cabinets for Exa hardware setups? Will you be pushing western operators to adopt better cabs and controls? Like, I get why US arcade controls are the way they are - Americans are hugely inconsiderate and hamfist everything - but maybe it doesn't have to be that way, and we can get to play with better. Western-style stand-up cabinets are hideous as well, it'd be way more comfortable to sit at a candy cab or something similar, I think.

I'm quite interested in the beat-em-up in development you hinted at. When I was a kid, I never played shmups in arcades (or even saw them, now that I think about it) the few times I got to go to one - I always went straight for the beat-em-ups. So I have a nostalgic vested interest in getting to play a new one someday.
KAI

Post by KAI »

http://shmupemall.com/actualite/exa-arc ... 18181.html
Danmaku Unlimited 3 Valkyrius
Dimension Drive EX
Shikondo Death Label
need moar professional games asap
pmp

Post by pmp »

Seibu Kaihatsu is a creative partner? I didn't think it still existed.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

pmp wrote:Seibu Kaihatsu is a creative partner? I didn't think it still existed.
It does, but from what I've heard it's little more than the president holding the Raiden IP and licensing it out to developers such as MOSS.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

gulti
can't wait for RXN EXA
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

I have so much to say about the Exa Arcadia 1st impressions for several games that I played extensively:

Super Hydorah AC

The first few stages serve as an excellent starting point where the subtle, but obvious differences are apparent that make AC a more hard-core tailored title than the home title counterpart. You now have constantly responsive 8 way movement allowing for precise movement when wanting to squeeze in without any acceleration. The Turbo / Power rotation is back, removing the shield from the rotation cycle and becomes a rare item like Hydorah. I am also happy that there are no check points to allow a more forgiving and improvisational mindset for casual play.

I do have a few quirks when it comes to wanting a more seamless experience:
  • *End Stage Pickup should be instantly rewarded rather than having to manually pick it up, unless the instant pickup would gradually accelerate towards the nearest player.

*When all other paths have been exhausted or that there is only one uncompleted level, it should instantly take you to the level.

Infinos EXA

I have not played the console version but watched a few videos before playing this.

It seems that the first stage does its job to introduce the first wave and then the introduction of the offensive drone to deal more firepower. Because it introduces colored weapons in a sequential and calculated manner, it encourages the player to experiment with what is given, especially for sweet spots like the first midboss with green laser against the colored core, and a fully upgraded spread bomb shot when facing the 2nd midboss that is a huge carrier, which benefits from solely having a slow and automatic firing rate without point blank because it is the most powerful shot when hit on one foe, but spreads out vastly to hit smaller areas. The gameplay flow benefits from being a calm memorizer with some foreshadowing put in thanks to the power-up selection. When knowing all three power-ups and their placement, you should know why there are put.

Cosmic Digger 3671 (Heiankyo Alien 3671)

This is one of those games that is more sported as a 5 minute caravan game. As of now, any player can join in the game, and I do hope there is a countdown for player join-in until locking out because it would be a real pleasure to have separate score boards based on number of players. Also, it seems that the hidden items are randomized in placement across the maps for every play. I wished there was a way to have a subtle indicator on the hidden items, even having a super faint indicator of a particular item to keep players with sharp eyes alert on the map. I also noticed that the pitch video supports up to 4 players, which would mark EXA Arcadia's first 4 player cooperative scoring caravan.

I have not spent much time on the other 4 games. However, I did have a fun casual match with ShouTime on Kung Fu vs Karate Champs, and turns out to be the most promising fighting game so far.

Sega Sonic Bros is the side feature because it is a highly coveted prototype game not publicly shared, and I managed to score over 2 million (JPM) because it is easy to do 1 million point trick with 3 colors. I have a few images to boot.

Last edited by MrJBRPG on Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

Thanks for the writeup. Seems like not much new to play yet? Did you get a look at what the system and "carts" look like? Ps for some reason the "not for sale" stickers really annoy me. Is the place filled with vultures who want to buy everything in sight or what?
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

For spmbx,

Those "Not for Sale" stickers placed on them candy cabs, arcade cabs & pins throughout the two CAX gaming rooms (yeah, there was a smaller 2nd room for extra cabs, pins and CAX vendors selling their wares/swag) simply denote to the CAX attendee that they're not for sale. Sure, there'll be some arcade cabs and pins for sale which'll say "For Sale, please contact so & so at this cell phone number or email address". At the 2012 CAX show, I recall a Taito Egret II candy cab running a Cave ESP.Ra.De. pcb that appeared for sale Saturday morning and was gone/removed by Sunday morning the next day. But it's quite rare to see such a candy cab for sale at a CAX show as they sell out quite quickly indeed.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

spmbx wrote:Ps for some reason the "not for sale" stickers really annoy me. Is the place filled with vultures who want to buy everything in sight or what?
yes
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

KAI wrote:need moar professional games asap
Too bad outfits like CAVE and MileStone are more or less indie devs anyway. "Professional" doesn't really exist in this field. Most shmups are indie grade, because they go back to the time where basically everything was indie grade. Shmups should have died a long time ago, but then various "indie" movements kept them alive this whole time. Really, we should be grateful.

Besides, dev skill is more important than so-called "prestige". HellSinker is one of the best games in the entire genre, and has way more effort put into it than a lot of our favorites.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
caldwert

Post by caldwert »

I thought Aka to Blue was really fun. Was trying to get the hang of where to bomb and where not to, but think it'll be a really fun game to play in the arcade. Strania EX was a lot better than I though it would be. I had never played it before and it reminded me of Radiant Silvergun in points. Cosmic Digger 3671 I thought was really great. Took awhile to get a grasp on what was going on. Would make a hell of a multiplayer game. The exA units were just dev kits. The mock up of the actual unit was shown during the exA panel, not sure if anyone got a picture of it or not.
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

Now that all the craze from California Extreme is over and plenty of information about EXA Arcadia has been revealed, there's more to look forward in the next upcoming months before the Holiday 2018 / Early 2019 launch date.

For questions and presentation about Exa Arcadia, you are encouraged to have a look at the video stream of the panel:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/290372428

Plenty of surprises and new content there, and ShouTime really wants more diversity in game submissions beyond shmups / shooting games (unless there is something really unique that stand out) that is arcade friendly ( fast paced and average play per credit ~ 3 to 5 minutes)

The Dev kit is actually free according to ShouTime, but send an email by contacting EXA Arcadia with a unique game concept that can sell.

Anyways, my only question is that what is the milestone plan for the rest of 2018 in general summary so we can stay alert and spread awareness like wildfire.
Last edited by MrJBRPG on Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.