gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
tzakiel

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by tzakiel »

irate.overlord wrote:I'm also looking to buy a gscartsw (or the lite version), so I am interested in the pre-order
There’s nothing currently. We just have to wait for superg to post times when we can order the new gscartsw lite (the only one being made atm). The eta as of now is still slated for August according to the front page. I am curious when ordering might be available myself so that I can get PayPal funds in order.
MasterYoda

Post by MasterYoda »

How does YPbPr work on the new revision? Will it convert YPbPr to RGBS, just pass through, or have YPbPr + Sync. I'm assuming YPbPr + Sync if the CS switch is on, and just passthrough if the switch is off.
superg

Post by superg »

MasterYoda wrote:I'm assuming YPbPr + Sync if the CS switch is on, and just passthrough if the switch is off.
That's exactly how it's implemented right now!
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

MasterYoda wrote:How does YPbPr work on the new revision? Will it convert YPbPr to RGBS, just pass through, or have YPbPr + Sync. I'm assuming YPbPr + Sync if the CS switch is on, and just passthrough if the switch is off.
Just keep in mind that with the CS switch on, sync is getting removed from Y, and, chances are, nothing's going to know what to do with YPbPr when it doesn't have any sync signal.

Then again, I wonder if that will work with YPbPr-capable PVMs with external sync enabled, since it usually needs to be turned off when using YPbPr.
D

Post by D »

Can I use composite devices such as a twin famicom (will be rgb modded some day) on the regular gscartsw? Or how can I accomplish this?

I tried using one of those scart blocks that allows for composite in
https://www.electronicabalie.nl/16379-m ... -zwart.jpg
But I am not getting a signal through.
superg

Post by superg »

D wrote:Can I use composite devices such as a twin famicom (will be rgb modded some day) on the regular gscartsw? Or how can I accomplish this?

I tried using one of those scart blocks that allows for composite in
https://www.electronicabalie.nl/16379-m ... -zwart.jpg
But I am not getting a signal through.
It will be detected and forwarded as CVBS, no any conversion will be performed e.g. no RGB. You will have to use SCART to RCA output adapter and connect it to your TV using composite. gscartsw has two outputs so you can use one for all your CVBS stuff through the adapter and the other one for RGBS.
D

Post by D »

Thanks for the answer. Your suggestions are not an option in my setups case (but might be very useful for others!). Scart also supports composite, but I guess you know that already.

Perhaps the gwscart is always telling my tv that an rgb signal is incoming or something like that, so my tv perhaps does not then show the composite signal.

I understand that the gwscart does not switch it's signal to composite when a composite signal is being used. Could be a possible feature in a new version. That would just be ideal. Perhaps also for S-Video signals.
superg

Post by superg »

D wrote:Thanks for the answer. Your suggestions are not an option in my setups case (but might be very useful for others!). Scart also supports composite, but I guess you know that already.

Perhaps the gwscart is always telling my tv that an rgb signal is incoming or something like that, so my tv perhaps does not then show the composite signal.

I understand that the gwscart does not switch it's signal to composite when a composite signal is being used. Could be a possible feature in a new version. That would just be ideal. Perhaps also for S-Video signals.
I think you misunderstand how it works.
Output 1: connect using SCART male to male cable to your TV/OSSC/XRGB
Output 2: use this
and connect it using 3 RCA male to male cables to your TV/XRGB composite input.

You will have to switch your TV/OSSC/XRGB mode using the remote depending on which signal you'll want to use but other than that it will work.
And what is the most important, keep CS/OFF toggle to OFF because otherwise your CVBS will be cleaned of any video data.
MattieBoy

Post by MattieBoy »

Hey, man. So, I've been very interested in your switch boxes for a while. But I've always seemed to have missed the chance to order. When you do open again, are we looking at a short window to order? Also, is the only way to keep track of this to look here? Or can I subscribe to a mailing list of some kind? If I can, I haven't found any information on that.

Thank you for your time.
superg

Post by superg »

gscartsw SoG update:
I'm still working on that HD sync issue I mentioned, sorry guys it takes longer than expected but I wouldn't order anything until everything is resolved.
Dazdigo

Post by Dazdigo »

Does this mean the preorders would open mid to late August? Or should we check back in September?
superg

Post by superg »

Dazdigo wrote:Does this mean the preorders would open mid to late August? Or should we check back in September?
I don't really know, doing my best to finish it soon. Definitely not earlier than August 10.
arithmaldor

Post by arithmaldor »

D wrote:Thanks for the answer. Your suggestions are not an option in my setups case (but might be very useful for others!). Scart also supports composite, but I guess you know that already.

Pin 16 is always high (1-3v, RGB). You could tie pin 16 on the TV end to ground with a pull down resistor, then connect the line from the gscartsw with a spst switch to choose between composite and RGB.
Visit Tinkerplunk for mods, repairs, and custom PCBs!
Twitter: @arithmaldor
superg

Post by superg »

arithmaldor wrote: Pin 16 is always high (1-3v, RGB). You could tie pin 16 on the TV end to ground with a pull down resistor, then connect the line from the gscartsw with a spst switch to choose between composite and RGB.
I can hardly imagine that TV which has SCART doesn't have separate composite RCA in.
D

Post by D »

superg wrote:

I think you misunderstand how it works.
Output 1: connect using SCART male to male cable to your TV/OSSC/XRGB
Output 2: use this
and connect it using 3 RCA male to male cables to your TV/XRGB composite input.

You will have to switch your TV/OSSC/XRGB mode using the remote depending on which signal you'll want to use but other than that it will work.
And what is the most important, keep CS/OFF toggle to OFF because otherwise your CVBS will be cleaned of any video data.
Hi superg, thank you for your answer. I understand
My output 1 is connect directly to my tv via scart, Ideally I want it to display through that
My output 2 is connect to a monitor, so it is already in use.
I think I will just have to connect another composite cable to my tv and just not use the gwscart at all.
superg

Post by superg »

D wrote: Hi superg, thank you for your answer. I understand
My output 1 is connect directly to my tv via scart, Ideally I want it to display through that
My output 2 is connect to a monitor, so it is already in use.
I think I will just have to connect another composite cable to my tv and just not use the gwscart at all.
Oh, got it, so you're actually utilising both outputs.
Kez

Post by Kez »

A SCART breakout box like this might work as long as it is full passthrough (including RGB lines).

Yardley

Post by Yardley »

Hi guys, I’m looking to purchase a gscartsw v3.4 from another member and I was wondering if I should go for it or try to get the lite version coming out soon. The VGA port on the sw is useful for me because I have a NEC XM29 which has a VGA port however I noticed the lite has new features like sync regeneration and a new switching circuit which sound better on paper (I’m fairly new to all of this). Looking for some advice, thanks.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Yardley wrote:Hi guys, I’m looking to purchase a gscartsw v3.4 from another member and I was wondering if I should go for it or try to get the lite version coming out soon. The VGA port on the sw is useful for me because I have a NEC XM29 which has a VGA port however I noticed the lite has new features like sync regeneration and a new switching circuit which sound better on paper (I’m fairly new to all of this). Looking for some advice, thanks.
I needed the sync regeneration for my PC Engine systems, but otherwise all of my other systems worked fine with the older device.
Yardley

Post by Yardley »

SavagePencil wrote:
Yardley wrote:Hi guys, I’m looking to purchase a gscartsw v3.4 from another member and I was wondering if I should go for it or try to get the lite version coming out soon. The VGA port on the sw is useful for me because I have a NEC XM29 which has a VGA port however I noticed the lite has new features like sync regeneration and a new switching circuit which sound better on paper (I’m fairly new to all of this). Looking for some advice, thanks.
I needed the sync regeneration for my PC Engine systems, but otherwise all of my other systems worked fine with the older device.
Good to know, I have a Duo-R so I’ll probably need it as well.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

Yardley wrote:
SavagePencil wrote:
Good to know, I have a Duo-R so I’ll probably need it as well.
I don't need it for mine. Not for the TG16 (modded with an AV Driver) or my CoreGrafx (modded with the Mickris board and just using sync-on-composite). I've actually not needed it for any of my consoles, including NES and SNES both before and after dejitter mods.
Yardley

Post by Yardley »

[quote=

I don't need it for mine. Not for the TG16 (modded with an AV Driver) or my CoreGrafx (modded with the Mickris board and just using sync-on-composite). I've actually not needed it for any of my consoles, including NES and SNES both before and after dejitter mods.[/quote]

Hmmm, I guess I'll give it a shot. Can the older version be daisy chained with the newer ones?
Yardley

Post by Yardley »

What is the difference between the gscartsw 3.2 and 3.4?
superg

Post by superg »

Yardley wrote:What is the difference between the gscartsw 3.2 and 3.4?
I think the only difference was added polarity protection.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

Yardley wrote:Hmmm, I guess I'll give it a shot. Can the older version be daisy chained with the newer ones?
Yes. If you're talking about the newest one that isn't out yet, though, you'll want that to be first in the chain for any sync-on-green devices.
neSneSgB

Post by neSneSgB »

Does anyone else have issues with the Dreamcast Toro box in RGBs mode and their gscartsw? I can't get my OSSC to detect anything when plugged in through the gscartsw, but a direct connection to the DC works just fine. My PVM is able to get a clear signal through gscartsw, so not sure what's causing the issue.

EDIT: Fixed the DC's sync issues in my setup by changing the Hsync tolerance from the default 0.92 us to 19.38 us. This also fixed it for my Turbo Duo, which was having the same problems.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

neSneSgB wrote:Does anyone else have issues with the Dreamcast Toro box in RGBs mode and their gscartsw? I can't get my OSSC to detect anything when plugged in through the gscartsw, but a direct connection to the DC works just fine. My PVM is able to get a clear signal through gscartsw, so not sure what's causing the issue.

EDIT: Fixed the DC's sync issues in my setup by changing the Hsync tolerance from the default 0.92 us to 19.38 us. This also fixed it for my Turbo Duo, which was having the same problems.
That’s quite the jump in tolerance! By my calculations that’s 28% of a horizontal line.

Anecdotally I haven’t had any problems with my Toro going into a gacartsw then into an OSSC at default settings.

I’m not sure I’ve tested it with both the lite and 3.4 though.
superg

Post by superg »

Update:
The HD SoG problem in the current design is finally figured out. For the final revision it's needed to use bigger Altera chip as it has more logic cells than the current one. As a side effect and beneficial to everybody I will add 4 positions configuration array which will control various switch functions (clean sync, sog forward or convert, sog leave sync on green or remove and something else). In the best case I will have the new board rerouted the end of this week. If all goes well, I'll open the pre-orders in two weeks. Everything will be handled through paypal, no any pre-order lists, please don't ask me for that. As I will know for sure I'll post the pre-order open date here week in advance.
The pre-order will be be split in two batches, one really small batch and then a full scale one. I really have to double check everything before ordering a lot.
What it means for everybody is first come first served: early buyers will get their devices from the first batch, the others from the subsequent batches.
As always I get availability complaints and I'm fully aware of it but the promise is that this gscartsw version sooner or later will be available in stock, but before that I will keep the pre-orders constantly open which will at least guarantee the unit for everybody.
Nosgothy

Post by Nosgothy »

Awesome news SuperG. Hope that I'll be quick this time around. :)
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

Awesome! Thanks for the attention to quality!

Looking forward to buying 2 from the second batch.