NEC XM/XP 29/37 Pro/Xtra Thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Hieroneus

Re: NEC XM/XP 29/37 Pro/Xtra Thread

Post by Hieroneus »

Without remote a bit less, with remote i think 1000-1100 dollards more or less. But i dont know.
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

drauch wrote:What y'all think an XM29+ is worth? Good condition, no remote/manual. I'd post in "What's it worth" but I don't think many check that.

I love it dearly but I'm not using it and running out of room (hoarder mentality), and I'd rather see it in the hands of someone who's going to love it equally. I don't want to stiff anyone, and likewise, don't want to just give it away.
There's really no good way of answering this. The last 2 on ebay sold for $1000 and $750 respectively and that was a few months ago. I remember the prices even being higher a few years ago but those were anomalies.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Yeah, definitely hard to put a price on it, but at least I've got a good idea and my initial price I was thinking isn't far off.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
aaronmjr

Post by aaronmjr »

I'm aware of 4 for sale outside of eBay right now and all are between 700-900.
aaronmjr

Post by aaronmjr »

More scanline action. JVC X'Eye, McDonald's Treasureland Adventure. XM-2950.

DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

aaronmjr wrote:I'm aware of 4 for sale outside of eBay right now and all are between 700-900.
PM Sent. Gotta knoooooowwwwww.
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

aaronmjr wrote:More scanline action. JVC X'Eye, McDonald's Treasureland Adventure. XM-2950.

That is gorgeous.

Please pm me of those mentioned are still available.

I would love to compare to Mitsubishi monitors
Copyright 1987
philexile

Post by philexile »

Please PM me as well. :)
Yardley

Post by Yardley »

Hi guys, in just read through this thread and I was wondering if anyone ever figured out if there is a way to increase the amount of horizontal overscan adjustment on the XM29? It doesn't allow for much adjustment "out of the box".
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

Looking for a bit of advice.

I've heard both that the XM29 (not the plus model) both does and does not support 24khz signals. Can anyone who has one give some sort of definitive answer one way or the other?
svensonson

Post by svensonson »

DejahThoris wrote:Looking for a bit of advice.

I've heard both that the XM29 (not the plus model) both does and does not support 24khz signals. Can anyone who has one give some sort of definitive answer one way or the other?
The XM29 is the only one that does support 24khz!
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

svensonson wrote:

Any means to support that claim? I've heard a bunch of people saying that it's a common misconception lately and that the XM29 does not *actually* support it. And I'd rather be 100% sure before dealing with the hunt, and ultimately forking over far too much money if it doesn't actually support it.
svensonson

Post by svensonson »

DejahThoris wrote:
svensonson wrote:

Any means to support that claim? I've heard a bunch of people saying that it's a common misconception lately and that the XM29 does not *actually* support it. And I'd rather be 100% sure before dealing with the hunt, and ultimately forking over far too much money if it doesn't actually support it.
Fantasy Zone on X68000 in 24khz Mode on NEC XM29

https://imgur.com/a/2HDY31C

DragonBuster Sharp X68000 24khz Mode

https://imgur.com/a/zkFM4jn
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

svensonson wrote: Fantasy Zone on X68000 in 24khz Mode on NEC XM29

Is it wrong to say I love you?

Just to be entirely clear on what I'm now searching for: model XM2950?
svensonson

Post by svensonson »

Absolutely right!

its the NEC XM-2950G

https://imgur.com/a/VPhq96R
aaronmjr

Post by aaronmjr »

So my friend told me about an old NEC CRT monitor that was on the loading dock waiting for recycling at his work. Said it was 37 inches and had BNC connectors. Turns out it has some issues and he ended up not being interested in dealing with it. So here I am with monitor number 5. NEC XM37 Xtra.

tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

Dang man you are on a roll with these monitors. What are the exact issues with the monitor? Hopefully nothing too bad. Next question would be how does it compare to the smaller 29 inch models?
aaronmjr

Post by aaronmjr »

It's pretty broken unfortunately. When it was removed from active duty about a week ago everything worked perfectly. When the guys who were doing the retrofit brought it out to the dock, they set it down pretty hard, and now it does weird stuff. When you first turn it on with a source connected you can see the source pretty clearly (picture is a little faded/not right) geometry looks normal, but then as soon as the startup degauss is done the screen goes almost completely white and shows some thin RGB stripes that look like v-blanking diagonally across the screen. First thing I'm going to do is take the back of the case off, discharge the tube and take a really close look around where it was dropped and see if I can find any obvious signs of damage. We'll see where I can go from there. Probably not til Friday though.

As for how it compares to the XM29, I can tell you from a size perspective it completely dwarfs them. Honestly, a 37 is too big. It's crazy.
Last edited by aaronmjr on Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aaronmjr

Post by aaronmjr »

Here's the OSM (OSD) you can see the screen is super white and the letters are blurry. Second photo is the aforementioned RGB stripes (they're going horizontal, look closely). Keep in mind this is not with the flash on my camera on. I know how to photograph CRTs. So as you can see it's in a pretty sorry state.

tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

What a shame. I have the xp version of the 37' inch and was just wondering how the display looked next to the 29' inch version. Not that I am thinking about getting an xm29 i was just curious. Don't need to tell me how beastly these things are. I can't even move it without having to call a friend. But even the 29' inch models you probably need a friends help.

But yeah I love my xp37 just wished I could take it somewhere to get serviced. There's nothing wrong with it but it's over 20 years old now and due for a nice touch up.
xga

Post by xga »

aaronmjr wrote:It's pretty broken unfortunately. When it was removed from active duty about a week ago everything worked perfectly. When the guys who were doing the retrofit brought it out to the dock, they set it down pretty hard, and now it does weird stuff. When you first turn it on with a source connected you can see the source pretty clearly (picture is a little faded/not right) geometry looks normal, but then as soon as the startup degauss is done the screen goes almost completely white and shows some thin RGB stripes that look like v-blanking diagonally across the screen. First thing I'm going to do is take the back of the case off, discharge the tube and take a really close look around where it was dropped and see if I can find any obvious signs of damage. We'll see where I can go from there. Probably not til Friday though.

As for how it compares to the XM29, I can tell you from a size perspective it completely dwarfs them. Honestly, a 37 is too big. It's crazy.
You gotta fix that XM37, aaronmjr! Hopefully it's just something simple like one of the boards has come slightly lose.

You know this XM37 would look sweet AF sitting on top of your wall of XM29's! Here's some motivation for you to get it fixed. (Please excuse my 1337 mspaint.exe skillz!)

aaronmjr

Post by aaronmjr »

Hahaha! Awesome. Yes, I'm very much hoping that it's something simple like reseating a board or connection. The fact that the text from video sources are nice and sharp, and that there is so much white on the screen gives me hope that everything is ok. We'll see! No real loss if not as I got it for free.
retrozar

Post by retrozar »

Did you actually try both modes? These games run in 31 khz by default. I think you have to press the HELP button to switch the game to 24 khz mode.
philexile

Post by philexile »

I have a feeling you can fix that 37" – I think I have the service manual for that one. I can peak in there if you have questions. :)

I have two of these myself. I can't wait to get a house and set them up – they are heavy as hell!
Yardley

Post by Yardley »

Anyone know how to remove the bezel on an XM2950?
svensonson

Post by svensonson »

retrozar wrote:

Did you actually try both modes? These games run in 31 khz by default. I think you have to press the HELP button to switch the game to 24 khz mode.
of course my friend :D
RdCrestdBreegull

Post by RdCrestdBreegull »

Hey guys, I read through the thread and I have a few questions about the XP29 Plus.

-Do the DE-15 and DA-15 inputs under RGB 1 *both* accept RGBS *and* VGA? And if so, I’m assuming both inputs can be occupied as long as the two different input sources are not turned on at the same time? Also does anyone know of a good passthrough adapter for DE-15 to DA-15, SCART to DA-15, or BNC RGBS component to DA-15?

-What is the DE-15 input under PC EXT / CL for? I’m guessing ‘EXT CL’ means ‘external control’, but I saw someone mention at the beginning of the thread mention that these displays have *four* RGB inputs, so I’m wondering if this one can somehow be used as well.

Also I had an Xbox 360 outputting 480p YPbPr into a Garo transcoder and outputting RGB via the DE-15 output on the Garo to the DE-15 input under RGB 1 on the XP29. It worked, but the image seemed to have a checkerboarding effect. Anyone know why this might be? I can’t remember if I tried the same but thought the RGBH inputs, and I have yet to try other YPbPr 480p consoles (GameCube, Xbox) but I’m just worried about the ability of this monitor to accurately handle YPbPr transcoded to RGBS.

By the way, my consoles currently include:
N64 - RGB (Sync on Luma)
SNES - RGBS
Nt Mini - RGBS
PS2 - YPbPr
Wii - YPbPr
GameCube - YPbPr
Xbox 360 - YPbPr
Xbox - YPbPr
Blu-ray / VCR combo - YPbPr
*gscartsw 3.4*
*gcompsw*
*Garo*

I had a Sony BVM-D20F1 but just swapped it for an XP29 Plus so I’m trying to incorporate all of my existing equipment to my new monitor. Also I plan on using the RGB 1 DE-15 input for VGA from my Xbox 360.
NightSprinter

Post by NightSprinter »

As far as I am aware of, according to the user manual, those two EXT sockets are not for RGB lof any sort. They are only for PC control or connection to NEC's own video processors.

Now for the Hd-15 and DA-15 sockets, yea, they can accept raw composite sync over the HSync pin, Sync on Green, or separated sync. However, you cannot use both as inputs. One must go either unused (set the termination switch to 75-Ohm), or be used as a pass-thru (set termination to High-Z). To use the DA-15 socket as either input or pass-thru, you will need an adapter like what you would need on the G3 PowerMac down to the good ol' Apple IIGS to VGA.

So yeah, only the 15-pin sockets in the middle and the BNC sockets are for input and pass-thru (great if you plan to use it as a live-view monitor for a capture card). However, I do not own a Garo, but I believe you will be fine if it can output RGBs. Xbox 360, you can actually purchase a VGA
cable for it and not need to deal with transcoding. PS2, if you can get a cable that does Sunc On Luma and a sync stripper circuit, you can set it to output RGB. Just bear in mind, the PS2 uses Sync on green for games that support 480p or higher.

I'm in no way an authority on this display, I just still own an XM2960 myself for now, and am sharing what I know and have learned from owning tbis display.
aaronmjr

Post by aaronmjr »

NightSprinter wrote: PS2, if you can get a cable that does Sunc On Luma and a sync stripper circuit, you can set it to output RGB. Just bear in mind, the PS2 uses Sync on green for games that support 480p or higher.
As long as you have the dip switch set to automatic sync detection it should work no problem.
aaronmjr

Post by aaronmjr »

Update on my broken XM37 Xtra, after some lengthy inspection I believe I found a crack in the neckboard. Believe it or not I'm having trouble getting all of the screws removed to get at the board. They are on there damn tight and are easy to strip. The thing is built like an armored tank. After removing the rear cover, I was greeted with this:

And here's the crack in the neckboard: