Ninja Gaiden [NES] + R2RKMF: Scrolling Action Monogatari

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BIL

Re: Ninja Gaiden [NES] + Scrolling Action Monogatari

Post by BIL »

Jonny2x4 wrote:Any thoughts on the PS port of Strider? I bought it a week ago
Spoiler
when it was on sale on the PS Store
and it seems to be a pretty solid port. Solo (the bounty hunter sub-boss in Stage 2) seems to be a bit harder to kill in this version than he is when I played the emulated version included in Capcom Classics Collection Vol. 2 on PS2. Was he supposed to be like that in the native arcade version or did they make him harder in the PS version?

PS1 port is absolutely excellent. Fixes a bunch of small glitches affecting Hiryu's movement/animation in the arcade version, and runs without a hint of slowdown or flicker, making the beautiful spritework that much better (st4 dinosaur valley massacre is a real sight). They even kept in the "double saucers" 1HP glitch. I never use it, but it's rad they preserved it - mark of a smart porting team! (either that, or they just reproduced the AC mechanics so exactly the glitch was a natural result... but that's good too!)

Only drawbacks I'm aware of are:

1) short loadtimes between stages
2) actually introduces a couple new glitches of its own, one of which (gravity core clip) is deadly. However it's easily side-stepped, so I'll take the stabler PS1 performance without question.

viewtopic.php?p=950408#p950408
-Axe-wielding Amazons in st4's middle "vines and branches" section don't seem to throw their axes much, if at all. They'll still cleave you if you get close, but the AC's occasional axe merrily whirring across the screen seems AWOL. I didn't notice this since I'm more bothered about the actively intercepting Flying Mosquemen, the harder to dodge boomerangs and most of all hightailing it out of that clusterfuck without losing all my blue health or doing a header into the jumbo bramblebush at the end. OTOH, the dinosaur section axe-wielders will chuck their weapons as usual. Edit: seems vine-swingers in the earlier section will happily chuck an axe at you too!

-As if Gravity Core v2 wasn't a bunch of dicks already, with its vertical strip of center-left screen reserved for a guaranteed double KO, in the PS1 port there are a couple of spots (roughly 6 and 12'oclock) where if you enter its orbit, upon being rejected you'll very likely be thrown clean offscreen to instant death. This can very occasionally happen in the AC version, but only as a freak occurrence. It seems the PS1 port doesn't take into account the much steeper-sided room, whereas the AC version will clearly withhold chucking Hiryu out of orbit until there's room to roll safely. Fortunately, the smaller room also means you can kill GCv2 without ever orbiting it, even without the powered-up cypher, so this is easily sidestepped.
There's a ton of AC/PS1 discussion in that thread... it's been a while but I don't remember Solo behaving differently between MAME and PS1. He's a skittery bugger in both but there's a method to luring him in for those three hits you need. Includes the tragic story of my AC no-miss attempts, two beautiful runs trapdoored by the final Ouroboros ride. :mrgreen: Substituted with a derpier third that clings on for a blast in the face. :oops:
Jonny2x4 wrote:I've also noticed they updated the Қазақ sign at the beginning of Stage 1 to reflect the nation's name change to Қазақстан in the end of 1991. It's an interesting that they would do that, considering not many people in the world know how to read Cyrillic.
Nicely spotted - now that's craftsmanship! Meanwhile, look at this utter bullshit in the Wii VC version of the Mega Drive port. :o

Spoiler

As if deleting Sonny Chiba from The Revenge of Shinobi's title wasn't obscene enough! :shock: I can't imagine who'd be offended at stage 1's mosques but they can politely fuck off, as can whoever thought up this change in the first place. Image Actually I'm pretty sure Meiou himself would approve of obliterating iconic places of worship from the planet. :lol:

"All sons of old gods... DIE!"
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Anyone have any experience with Majuuou on the SFC?
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Squire and Sumez are fans, off the top of my head (former is busy atm though). I've played it a bit, up to the TLB I think. It's a well-liked game, for good reason - sound fundamentals and pace, some great visceral mechanics (love the charge attacks), and an interesting multi-character concept. Uniquely flashy yet low-fi horror aesthetic too, which occasionally pulls out some really rad sights and scenes (dat hell train baby... epitome of being a tiny gnat aboard an unstoppable juggernaut about to collide with an impenetrable wall, rooock).

As Sumez has said, it feels almost like the sort of solid one-off sidescroller the FC library excels at.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Yeah, I like Majuuou mostly for being of a gene that was basically unexistant on 16 bit consoles. It's not up to par with the best FC sidescrollers, and quite on the easy side with some odd spikes. But I remember kitten being extremely fond of it too.

I really would have loved to be able to play the entire game as the guy with the gun.
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

BIL wrote: As if deleting Sonny Chiba from The Revenge of Shinobi's title wasn't obscene enough! :shock: I can't imagine who'd be offended at stage 1's mosques but they can politely fuck off, as can whoever thought up this change in the first place. Image Actually I'm pretty sure Meiou himself would approve of obliterating iconic places of worship from the planet. :lol:

"All sons of old gods... DIE!"
I'm just as sad as knowing that younger generations will never know the joy of seeing Mad Mel and Juan Sanchez Villa-Lobos Ramirez as Solid Snake and Big Boss in Metal Gear 2.

I mainly bought Strider on PSN for its sequel, which I only played briefly a few times before, but I get the impression it's not as revered as the original and kinda forgotten. Capcom even re-released the PS port of the original Strider Hiryu without its sequel in Japan at one point.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I always thought Strider 2 is pretty badass
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

It is! Even if I've only spent a cursory moment with it here and there.

Speaking of I tried Run Saber yesterday. It's a pretty good clone. Graphics are nothing to write home about but get the job done.

You also have a complete Strider 2 like move set, which makes no sense since RS came out six years earlier. Slashes, slide mapped to shoulder button, a jumping spin which could have influenced Hiryu's jump and go ape shit attack in 2, and a dive kick.

First boss was certainly memorable. I may give it more time.

Then I tried Metal Warriors. Manly as fuck - will give you my impressions upon completion.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

BIL: thanks, but I must wonder: any tips & tricks? It feels rather...impossible, after a few tries.

...Did we have a list of Capcom brawlers ranked according to difficulty?

I feel like I suddenly have superpowers, after 1-CC'ing Ninja Baseball Batman.
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Sumez wrote:I always thought Strider 2 is pretty badass
Same. Loses the original's seamless cinematic direction, but gains cybernetically responsive ninja handling with just the right degree of accountability. Exhilarating sense of barreling, body-shredding momentum. The aerial command rave is immortally gratifying, particularly when you send Hiryu sailing and sliding across a screenload of danger to pin it on a hard target. Makes an intriguing "air brake" mechanic too, when you're otherwise about to pay with your life for that misjudged full-blast sprinting double somersault.

Cannon Dancer is often held up as "the real Strider 2," and certainly gains from Isuke's inimitable directorship (and the always impressive Utata Kiyoshi), but I think Capcom absolutely hold their own versus it and the original. I just wish it'd been on Naomi/DC rather than ZN2/PS1.

(FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, OBSERVERS, WE'RE TALKING ABOUT CAPCOM'S ARCADE SEQUEL, NOT THAT OUTSOURCED POS FOR MEGA DRIVE)

Sorry, I'm compelled to note that every time. The risk of being misunderstood is just... too... horrifying! Nghaaa!

Image Image

The froot rollups "boost" mode sucks, but I just avoid using it. Image Fuck that shit! I'm here to slice and dice like a human chainsaw powered by rice! Image
Randorama wrote:BIL: thanks, but I must wonder: any tips & tricks? It feels rather...impossible, after a few tries.

...Did we have a list of Capcom brawlers ranked according to difficulty?

I feel like I suddenly have superpowers, after 1-CC'ing Ninja Baseball Batman.
AC Crude Buster? Sorry, only played a few credits. Wouldn't surprise me if it was rather unrefined or even crude, shall we say. Image DECO and all. :smile:

I'm only passingly familiar with arcade beltscrolling, myself. We do have a pretty strong Capcom beltscroller contingent, though I'm not sure how often any of 'em are around at the moment. Hagane, Vludi, Squire, Ruldra, Ex_Mosquito and Kaiser are all pretty conversant if I remember right. This thread is probably the forum's best current resource. (apologies if you're already well aware of it, I know you posted in it too :wink: )
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Whoa. Metal Warriors mission six. You are a tough one aren't you?
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

BIL wrote:Squire and Sumez are fans, off the top of my head (former is busy atm though).
I heed the call ^_^

Majuuou is pretty solid yes.

For me it's very slightly a "style over substance" game. It isn't filled to the brim with deviously designed rng driven footsies duels (like, say, Akumajo Dracula 68k as a random example), nor are the mechanics sublimely deep (like, say, Alien Soldier as a random example), but it's a very solid game that's fun to tear through every now and then with its limited but fun array of crackling demonic busters and dashes.

But the aesthetic...! Oh, sweet Lord have mercy and deliver me, but I want to get lost in this beautiful daemonic wonderland....!

In other words I think the backgrounds looks pretty cool, and the atmosphere is my kind of shit.
Last edited by Squire Grooktook on Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Squire Grooktook wrote: But the aesthetic...! Oh, sweet Lord have mercy and deliver me, but I want to get lost in this beautiful daemonic wonderland....!
The game isn't even good looking. And those close-ups of people... we should be glad that happens like twice in the game. But the thematical aesthetics are just so unique for a SNES game.

Squire Grooktook

It's no SOTN in terms of drawing but it certainly has its moments

I can fucking taste the post-apocalyptic gloom.

Heavenly Baroque Skies rendered in pixel art are one of my soft spots.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Sumez wrote:But the thematical aesthetics are just so unique for a SNES game.
Yeah I had never seen it before. Has an art feel to it reminiscent of Amiga games from the early 90's. I really like what I've seen of it.
Squire Grooktook wrote:

Heavenly Baroque Skies rendered in pixel art are one of my soft spots.
Yeah huge soft spot for pixel backgrounds like that. Thanks for the input gents.

Which brings me here:D - WARNING - the heathen isn't playing with scan lines.
Spoiler
Metal Warriors is full of pixel art goodness, awesome game play (Six mechs that play differently) and a pretty damn good soundtrack. Full disclosure - I've always had a soft spot for Exo Squad.

Mission six continues to deny. First off it's long - possibly as long as the first three or four missions combined, but that could be my inexperience.

You can run through the first few missions half cocked and no worries, mission four too. Five is a bit longer, but still nothing too serious. This one requires actual thought and planning.

One of the cooler mechanics is the ability to get out of your mech. You have a pistol and a cool little jet pack that you can zip around with. You have to get out of your ride every now and then to finish certain missions. In mission six you have to do this a lot and that is where the planning comes in.

If you leave your mech in the wrong hood' it will get mech jacked by one of the enemies walking around and then your fucked.

Six requires you to leapfrog between two mechs you find in the beginning of the level - taking them both with you as you progress. Where you leave your mech each time you get out is important because of the assholes walking around. You later on find a 3rd mech - and well I haven't gotten much further than that just yet, but shit if I haven't enjoyed every minute of it thus far.
Last edited by Stevens on Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Metal Warriors is great, I wish it wouldn't be so absurdly expensive.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Squire Grooktook wrote:Image
Man I love Imperious Green dude. His haughty death beam, mighty charge blast and sinister teleport make me feel like I'm playing as Perfect Cell.

Anyone else spot the "FUCK YOU" graffiti on the hell train? :mrgreen:
drauch

Post by drauch »

BIL wrote:Anyone else spot the "FUCK YOU" graffiti on the hell train? :mrgreen:
Nothing to say about Majyuuou that hasn't been said except that I love it. Wish there were more horror-themed scrollers.

BUT I really wanted to say how much I LOVE finding "FUCK YOU" in Japanese games and anime spray-painted on dumpsters, subways, trains, etc! It's so common in anything relatively "adult" in 80s/90s stuff that I wish I had started a list.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
BIL

Post by BIL »

Although not graffiti, I'm especially fond of Gynoug, which has a really brusque way of conceding defeat when you clear its Hyper difficulty. :lol:

SFC: "I'm give up!" Image
MD:
Spoiler
Squire Grooktook

BIL wrote: Man I love Imperious Green dude. His haughty death beam, mighty charge blast and sinister teleport make me feel like I'm playing as Perfect Cell.

Anyone else spot the "FUCK YOU" graffiti on the hell train? :mrgreen:
Definitely my favorite as well. I love teleporting in and out of the skull mantis mini bosses scythe range and then blasting him in the face with sonic booms.

That being said, I've grown to enjoy the Ice Dragon's gliding lunge as well. Still can't get over his silly armless trot though, heh.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

BIL wrote:Although not graffiti, I'm especially fond of Gynoug, which has a really brusque way of conceding defeat when you clear its Hyper difficulty. :lol:

MD:
Spoiler
8) MD really is the uncucked console for REAL MEN/WOMEN and SAVAGE WARLORDS. Rule over this land of edginess with your iron fist, and insatiable bloodlust. and keep at being the KING of EDGE.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
drauch

Post by drauch »

And I didn't think I could appreciate Gynoug more! Splendid. Or should I say FUCK YOU for showing me.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

^^^^^^ That's the spirit 8)
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I honestly think being a "terrific guy" is just as awesome territory!
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

BIL wrote:Although not graffiti, I'm especially fond of Gynoug, which has a really brusque way of conceding defeat when you clear its Hyper difficulty. :lol:

MD:
Spoiler
Lol that's great.

I got the first Ninja Gaiden in the mail today. Looking forward to attacking it. 8-)
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I checked the Wings of Wor version and most of the ending texts were changed. Only "great fighter" and "excellent soldier" were kept.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:I got the first Ninja Gaiden in the mail today. Looking forward to attacking it. 8-)
8) Looking forward to reading about your journey
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Steamflogger Boss

FinalBaton wrote:
Steamflogger Boss wrote:I got the first Ninja Gaiden in the mail today. Looking forward to attacking it. 8-)
8) Looking forward to reading about your journey
This does assume I can stop playing Tetris. Man I love Tetris. XD

Ninja Gaiden is badass though for sure, I beat 3 awhile back.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Ninja Gaiden is badass, but Tetris even more. Which version are you playing?
Steamflogger Boss

Sumez wrote:Ninja Gaiden is badass, but Tetris even more. Which version are you playing?
NES Tetris. Grey cart.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

I popped in a game last night just to adjust my sweet Sony crt's picture/brightness/contrast, and stare at some crt goodness. Welp, I ended up playing it for an hour and a half non-stop. Was supposed to be just a couple minutes :/

That game, is pretty obscure. A hidden gem I'd say. It's called Super Mario Bros. Not sure if you guys have heard of it
But seriously, I just marvel at that game.

This is one of those games I can't stop playing once I fire it up. I think we all have those games.
It's the same for me with Streets of Rage/Streets of Rage 2, Street Fighter Alpha series, Shinobi III and strangely : Squaresoft's(!) Rad Racer on the NES. Can't help but to do many, many races each and every time I plug that one in.

Those aren't necessarily my very top picks for best games of all-time(although they are high on the list). But they're all games I find super cool looking and that have an hyper-addicting quality, and that I thoroughly enjoy seeing in action on the good ol' cathode ray tube. They get me completely hypnotized into submission, and then proceed to beat my brain up till it turns into mush.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-