OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Thomago

Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

Post by Thomago »

paulb_nl wrote:The current High Fidelity OSSC version outputs 360p. You can set the format to 'custom' for 59.72Hz but then you cannot get 360p. The included XRGB version is set to output 240p59.73Hz with the 'custom-m' format.
In the meantime, following the recommendation from Extrems, I tried the the standard edition. Runs without judder, but I'm not a fan of the small "viewport".
Any way to combine 59.72 Hz (so, no judder) and 360p? Or, alternatively, 480p with 3xZoom?
MidOrFeed2015 wrote: So anyone else has tested the high fidelity ossc dol + cli? To me it is not impressive at all. there are blinking pixels on characters that are as clear as day.
I found it quite stunning!
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

Thomago wrote:In the meantime, following the recommendation from Extrems, I tried the the standard edition. Runs without judder, but I'm not a fan of the small "viewport".
Any way to combine 59.72 Hz (so, no judder) and 360p? Or, alternatively, 480p with 3xZoom?
Here are the recommended settings: https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.p ... _Converter
Thomago

Post by Thomago »

Thanks for the answer, but I meant to refer to the High Fidelity version.
I actually already got imho "perfect" settings for the Standard version, but well... I certainly would like to have a full screen picture without any judder AND no chroma subsampling/shift.

Is there any reason why the High Fidelity OSSC version doesn't run at 59.72 Hz?
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

The standard edition isn't running in 59.72 Hz either (unless you're using the custom video format), it's using temporal interpolation.
Thomago

Post by Thomago »

I know, I know. I can live with temporal interpolation; what I can't live with is heavy judder and a small "viewport". And I really would like to live without the chroma deficiencies of the Standard edition.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

I'll consider adding it to the high-fidelity edition.
MidOrFeed2015

Post by MidOrFeed2015 »

Jademalo wrote:
MidOrFeed2015 wrote:So anyone else has tested the high fidelity ossc dol + cli? To me it is not impressive at all. there are blinking pixels on characters that are as clear as day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUMkIqeg8fI
Thanks. Hopefully this will be applicable to High Fidelity mode.
Thomago

Post by Thomago »

Extrems wrote:I'll consider adding it to the high-fidelity edition.
Thank you!!!

Alternatively... is there any way to make the OSSC version run with 59.72 Hz? I already tried editing the gbihf-ossc.cli ("custom-m" instead of "hd60"), but there was no difference...
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

Just use the default settings rather than the preset. The only catch is it'll run in 480p if you have progressive scan enabled.
Thomago

Post by Thomago »

Well, then again there's the problem with the small viewport. And unfortunately it doesn't seem to be possible (or at least my monitor doesn't like it) to "cut away" the huge black bars with the OSSC, thereby generating a "fullscreen" output from the 480p-output.
paulb_nl

Post by paulb_nl »

MidOrFeed2015 wrote:
Jademalo wrote:
MidOrFeed2015 wrote:So anyone else has tested the high fidelity ossc dol + cli? To me it is not impressive at all. there are blinking pixels on characters that are as clear as day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUMkIqeg8fI
Thanks. Hopefully this will be applicable to High Fidelity mode.
High Fidelity ossc dol+cli outputs 360p so the settings needed are very different. H.samplerate is 600, H.active 480 and V.active 360 for that mode.
Thomago wrote:Alternatively... is there any way to make the OSSC version run with 59.72 Hz? I already tried editing the gbihf-ossc.cli ("custom-m" instead of "hd60"), but there was no difference...
It does not work that way. You need to save the modified cli file as gbihf.cli and then start gbihf.dol in Swiss. But if you are just changing it to 'custom-m' then you can just run the gbihf-xrgb.dol+cli because thats already set to custom-m. For 59.72Hz you need to use 'custom'.
Thomago

Post by Thomago »

Hehehe, I didn't even expect it to work, but I didn't want to leave that one stone unturned.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

bobrocks95 wrote:
thebigcheese wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:Also as I said earlier, I don't think Pro Logic sends any flags indicating that a stereo signal contains it. You'd have to be able to turn the decoding on and off or you're going to have GCVideo attempting to de-matrix a standard stereo signal into 5 channels, which may sound awful.
So I think I just need to tell my receiver that it's Dolby Pro Logic II when using those sources and see what happens. If it lets me choose that. Annoying, but maybe less so than the more convoluted routes.
That's what I have to do with a straight connection to the receiver. I believe for Pro Logic any AV receiver will always just see it as stereo sound. Again, I'd love to be wrong on that though.
you're not wrong

I *think* the only to "trigger" PL/PLII automatically is when using digital sources directly into the receiver - not 100% how this works (whether it's a flag or simply how my receiver reacts to being fed DD2.0 audio) but when I tune to a OTA TV station that does not have DD5.1 the receiver automatically goes into PL mode using the optical out from the TV

the PL/PLII modes can always be manually activated on any 2 channel source, and there is no such thing as flagging for any analog audio signal
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

Jademalo wrote:
James-F wrote:It's the standard for 480i/p content which should make the OSSC in 2x compatible with most TVs.
It was not chosen for its aspect ratio, but compatibility.

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Modeline_Database
Search there for 858.
Aaaaah, that makes a lot more sense, thanks!
So my maths and assumptions are correct in terms of correct aspect output then?
This is another case where setting h.active to 704 will give you the correct result.
Notice how 720/704 is just about the same ratio as 585/574.
Also note how 704 active width is also listed under the ntsc (and pal) itu-br standards. The extra 16 pixels were never used afaik and were intended as a mandatory overscan area.
Galdelico

Post by Galdelico »

As I'm finally setting up my GameCube/GB Player again (after months since last time), what's the best GBI/OSSC profile combo, at the moment?

I tried to follow GBI's development, as it's changed quite dramatically, but I haven't always been able to catch up with the updates and the Wiki pages, so I feel a bit confused now. Is that guide by FBX - from around April, I believe? - still valid? Or Paul's profiles included in his custom OSSC GBI firmware are the way to go, now?

Just to give you an idea, I got a Datel SD Media Launcher months ago, and was used to the old GBI LL. It was pretty much 'plug and play', as I didn't even bother using Swiss, back then. Now, I see a certain degree of tweaking appears to be required: I realize it's probably more intimidating to read, than messing around with in person, but I'd like to start - at least - from the best/most practical position, if possible.

Thanks guys!
paulb_nl

Post by paulb_nl »

It depends on what you want:

GBI High Fidelity:
  • 4:4:4 quality with low input lag
    360p with stuttering
    240p without stuttering but big borders

GBI Standard:
  • 4:4:4 quality only if using 960x360 with 240x360 optimized OSSC firmware.
    360p without stuttering but with motion blur
    High input lag
Galdelico

Post by Galdelico »

I see, thanks for clarifying. ^_-

Seems like the first scenario is still preferable, due to the lower lag and no motion blur, so I guess I'll figure out if/how much the tiny frame will actually bother me.
leonemesis

Post by leonemesis »

Couldn´t find it on the wiki, so figured I´d ask here, how do I set 480i to use optimal timings? Whenever I set line x4 to use advanced timings there is no change on the display like it used to do when I tested 240p advanced timings.

Would love to test it out, appreciate it if you guys can help.
Thomago

Post by Thomago »

Regarding the motion blur: Many people don't seem to recognize this, but the motion blur has the positive side effect of blurring flickery drop shadows (prominent example: the kids playing ball next to the library in Zelda: Link's Awakening), thereby emulating the Game Boy Advance's slow display.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

Galdelico wrote:Just to give you an idea, I got a Datel SD Media Launcher months ago, and was used to the old GBI LL. It was pretty much 'plug and play', as I didn't even bother using Swiss, back then. Now, I see a certain degree of tweaking appears to be required: I realize it's probably more intimidating to read, than messing around with in person, but I'd like to start - at least - from the best/most practical position, if possible.
It's just as plug-and-play if you're content with the old experience. Just launch GBISR.
Thomago wrote:Regarding the motion blur: Many people don't seem to recognize this, but the motion blur has the positive side effect of blurring flickery drop shadows (prominent example: the kids playing ball next to the library in Zelda: Link's Awakening), thereby emulating the Game Boy Advance's slow display.
It's doing a pretty poor job at that as it's cyclic.
Galdelico

Post by Galdelico »

Extrems wrote:It's just as plug-and-play if you're content with the old experience. Just launch GBISR.
Thanks. ^_-
I'll check everything out. I'm really curious to see how you changed/improved your GBI during the past few months.
paulb_nl

Post by paulb_nl »

Galdelico wrote:Seems like the first scenario is still preferable, due to the lower lag and no motion blur, so I guess I'll figure out if/how much the tiny frame will actually bother me.
In that case just boot up gbihf-ossc.dol+cli for 360p and for 240p just boot gbihf-xrgb.dol+cli. You wont have to use Swiss.

Avoid 240p from GBI standard and Speedrunning. They have terrible chroma at 240p. Much worse than their 480p modes for some reason.
Thomago

Post by Thomago »

Extrems wrote:It's doing a pretty poor job at that as it's cyclic.
I never even noticed! And now that you mentioned it, I will likely notice and hate it. Ignorance is a bliss sometimes :mrgreen:
Jademalo

Post by Jademalo »

Harrumph wrote:This is another case where setting h.active to 704 will give you the correct result.
Notice how 720/704 is just about the same ratio as 585/574.
Also note how 704 active width is also listed under the ntsc (and pal) itu-br standards. The extra 16 pixels were never used afaik and were intended as a mandatory overscan area.
Oooh, very interesting. This doesn't work with my VP50Pro/TV, but it works with the Vision E1s. After a quick test it's definitely the same in terms of actual pixels compared to 878 samplerate, though I was getting an output of 587x448 which is a bit longer than the calculated 585.

I think after all this testing I'm going to just scale square pixels and aspect correct when streaming, but this has all been super interesting in terms of actual "correct" outputs.
MidOrFeed2015

Post by MidOrFeed2015 »

dang I didn't know about the Upsample2x feature for 480p. here I was asking for a 3x 480p mode when this thing was here all along. It cleans the image up very nicely.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

MidOrFeed2015 wrote:dang I didn't know about the Upsample2x feature for 480p. here I was asking for a 3x 480p mode when this thing was here all along. It cleans the image up very nicely.
3x would still be nice for 4K screens though, if it's possible.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

I think the max vertical resolution the OSSC can currently handle is 1200, so 3x 480p is off the table unless the new soft CPU will free up enough resources for 1440p, or a more powerful revision of the OSSC is designed and released.
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

nmalinoski wrote:so 3x 480p is off the table unless the new soft CPU will free up enough resources for 1440p
It's a limitation of the transmitter chip, freeing up resources in the FPGA won't change that.
CobraKing

Post by CobraKing »

bobrocks95 wrote:
MidOrFeed2015 wrote:dang I didn't know about the Upsample2x feature for 480p. here I was asking for a 3x 480p mode when this thing was here all along. It cleans the image up very nicely.
3x would still be nice for 4K screens though, if it's possible.
@bobrocks95 do you think the TV's upscaling of 480p content wouldn't be decent enough?
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

Is there a timeline for an OSSC 2? One thing I'd like to see is a way to play vertical games on a horizontal monitor (tate in yoko monitor). I know from what I've read this will likely introduce some lag, but a guy seemed to overcome this in 2008, it's been 10 years, isn't there some way to do this now?