N64 cartridge port extension question

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
MidOrFeed2015

N64 cartridge port extension question

Post by MidOrFeed2015 »

I don't know how boards work but I am just wondering if its possible.

To have an n64 50pin connector on top of a board, with traces to 50 pins (front and back) on the bottom.

Could something like this work as an extension?

Think of a 60-72 pin converter, except it's not a converter. Just a 50 to 50 pin adapter.

I know that you are thinking this is pointless, but I will move to my next point.

This is mainly for use with the gameshark.

So if I could extend by using this ""n64 female to male cartridge adapter"", would it also be possible to hook another 50 pin connector on the back of this adapter, and add a switch to flip between the back port and the top port?

The Gameshark always needs a game like Goldeneye or Mario 64 to boot into it (because games like Zelda will not boot unless choosing a keycode then turning the 64 off).

This way, a non copy protected game can sit in the back port forever. When booting GS, flip the switch to the back port to boot it, change the keycode, flip to the top port and boot using an applicable game.

I hope this made sense. Using GS can be very annoying when constantly switching cartridges.
nmalinoski

Re: N64 cartridge port extension question

Post by nmalinoski »

It's a neat idea, and it's probably possible; but I think an EverDrive 64 would solve or work around your issues at a fraction of the cost of R&D and prototyping for such an adapter. It has GameShark functionality built in (won't work with the GameShark peripheral, though), and you can switch games with a simple reset of the system.
CobraKing

Post by CobraKing »

@MidOrFeed2015

What version of the N64 GameShark do you have? I've never had any issue booting up with any N64 game I've plugged into V3.3
MidOrFeed2015

Post by MidOrFeed2015 »

nmalinoski wrote:It's a neat idea, and it's probably possible; but I think an EverDrive 64 would solve or work around your issues at a fraction of the cost of R&D and prototyping for such an adapter. It has GameShark functionality built in (won't work with the GameShark peripheral, though), and you can switch games with a simple reset of the system.
i know what you mean but the reason I did not get an ED is to use my real carts
CobraKing wrote:@MidOrFeed2015

What version of the N64 GameShark do you have? I've never had any issue booting up with any N64 game I've plugged into V3.3
I have never really had issues. It is more of a convenience thing to have a boot cartridge docked and ready 100% always.

It is a GS 3.3.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

MidOrFeed2015 wrote:i know what you mean but the reason I did not get an ED is to use my real carts
I have never really had issues. It is more of a convenience thing to have a boot cartridge docked and ready 100% always.
In that case, if you're going to spend the crapload of time and money to develop something (or pay someone to do it) that lets you use your original carts, why not create a custom cheat device that doesn't require a boot/key cartridge in the first place?
CobraKing

Post by CobraKing »

MidOrFeed2015 wrote:

It is a GS 3.3.
Ok as @nmalinoski said you're better off using an Everdrive in this particular case and chalk the swapping of cartridges as part of the 'authentic' N64 period correct experience. :mrgreen:

Side note, doesn't your GS boot up and ask you to start the game with/without codes? That way you shouldn't have to use a boot cartridge if some codes for some other game are active. At least that's how my GS works...
MidOrFeed2015

Post by MidOrFeed2015 »

CobraKing wrote:
MidOrFeed2015 wrote:

It is a GS 3.3.
Ok as @nmalinoski said you're better off using an Everdrive in this particular case and chalk the swapping of cartridges as part of the 'authentic' N64 period correct experience. :mrgreen:

Side note, doesn't your GS boot up and ask you to start the game with/without codes? That way you shouldn't have to use a boot cartridge if some codes for some other game are active. At least that's how my GS works...
In order for the UI to appear, the keycode must be active I have found. Whether codes are being used or not.
nmalinoski wrote:
MidOrFeed2015 wrote:i know what you mean but the reason I did not get an ED is to use my real carts
In that case, if you're going to spend the crapload of time and money to develop something (or pay someone to do it) that lets you use your original carts, why not create a custom cheat device that doesn't require a boot/key cartridge in the first place?

i do not know how to read and write to the RAM for n64 :|
CobraKing

Post by CobraKing »

MidOrFeed2015 wrote: In order for the UI to appear, the keycode must be active I have found. Whether codes are being used or not.
I think there might be an issue with your GS. Mine just boots to the UI regardless of the cartridge or whether codes are active/inactive.
theclaw

Post by theclaw »

I don't think I tried the GS without a cartridge.

IIRC the old wives' tale was that a GS becomes "bricked" if you enable an invalid keycode, or one for a game you don't own.
CobraKing

Post by CobraKing »

^^
Just to clarify, I always have cartridge present but it doesn't boot the game right away. There's a menu whereby you can choose to start with codes on or off. So the likelihood of bricking it next to none.

I did purchase it at the tail end of the N64's life so it was a V3.2 device that I updated to V3.3. It is a Pro model.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GameShark-Pro- ... k+3.3.TRS0