gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
superg

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by superg »

nmalinoski wrote:
superg wrote:Currently SoG works only for 480p and doesn't for 720 and 1080, the problem is already identified and I'm awaiting parts.
The current plan is to finalize current design soon and order smaller batch first to make sure everything is smooth and then it will go the batch after another.
Paypal allows me to accept orders when units amount is 0 so it will be in a pre-order mode for now and I don't want to keep everybody waiting as it already took too long. On a bright note everybody will get the newest SoG version.
Once I'll sort out everything I'll post the dates here.
Does the newest SoG version lack the EXT header?
It can be added back but without override mode, I'm considering it.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

superg wrote: It can be added back but without override mode, I'm considering it.
PLEEEEEEAAAAAAASSSSEEEE
Dazdigo

Post by Dazdigo »

Would be nice to have some sort of output information on the current selected port as well. A TTL serial input/output would be great on the EXT header.
superg

Post by superg »

Dazdigo wrote:Would be nice to have some sort of output information on the current selected port as well. A TTL serial input/output would be great on the EXT header.
It was always available on EXT port.
irate.overlord

Post by irate.overlord »

Hello, I would like to buy a gscartsw or gscartswlite
sofakng

Post by sofakng »

Can the current gscartsw_lite models be modified to support RGsB or do I need to purchase a new switcher?
superg

Post by superg »

sofakng wrote:Can the current gscartsw_lite models be modified to support RGsB or do I need to purchase a new switcher?
Unfortunately no, there are too many differences as green sync circuit has to be implemented and merged with the regular sync.
superg

Post by superg »

nmalinoski wrote:
superg wrote:Currently SoG works only for 480p and doesn't for 720 and 1080, the problem is already identified and I'm awaiting parts.
The current plan is to finalize current design soon and order smaller batch first to make sure everything is smooth and then it will go the batch after another.
Paypal allows me to accept orders when units amount is 0 so it will be in a pre-order mode for now and I don't want to keep everybody waiting as it already took too long. On a bright note everybody will get the newest SoG version.
Once I'll sort out everything I'll post the dates here.
Does the newest SoG version lack the EXT header?
The prototypes I have lack it. I might add it back but I'm not going to solder the connectors this time.
Lomax

Post by Lomax »

superg wrote:so it will be in a pre-order mode for now
So how do I pre-order?
superg

Post by superg »

Lomax wrote:
superg wrote:so it will be in a pre-order mode for now
So how do I pre-order?
I'll post the pre-order open dates here week in advance. Still fixing the HD SoG issue.
cloudbot

Post by cloudbot »

Will the new switch allow one of those "component to scart" adapters to work? (https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0769/ ... grande.jpg)

If so, would that require switching a BVM/PVM b/w RGB and Component depending on the console being used?[/list]
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

cloudbot wrote:Will the new switch allow one of those "component to scart" adapters to work? (https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0769/ ... grande.jpg)

If so, would that require switching a BVM/PVM b/w RGB and Component depending on the console being used?[/list]
YPbPr has the same electrical specification as RGsB, so as long as the new gscartsw allows for passing RGsB through (which I think it does), it should be compatible with YPbPr component; and yes, you would have to switch between RGB and YPbPr (and toggle external sync for RGsB) on the BVM/PVM.
superg

Post by superg »

nmalinoski wrote:
cloudbot wrote:Will the new switch allow one of those "component to scart" adapters to work? (https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0769/ ... grande.jpg)

YPbPr has the same electrical specification as RGsB, so as long as the new gscartsw allows for passing RGsB through (which I think it does), it should be compatible with YPbPr component; and yes, you would have to switch between RGB and YPbPr (and toggle external sync for RGsB) on the BVM/PVM.
Yes, it works. I'm using such adapter to test HD resolution SoG.
Dazdigo

Post by Dazdigo »

Could someone provide links to some quality component to scart adapters? I haven't been able to find a cheap one in the US. Shipping them overseas cost more than the item itself from the ones I've found and I don't know if they are wired correctly.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Dazdigo wrote:Could someone provide links to some quality component to scart adapters? I haven't been able to find a cheap one in the US. Shipping them overseas cost more than the item itself from the ones I've found and I don't know if they are wired correctly.
Any RCA or BNC (with RCA adapters) to SCART adapter from the popular boutique manufacturers will work fine; just match Y to G, Pb to B, and Pr to R; no need to get specifically a YPbPr component to SCART adapter.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

nmalinoski wrote:
Dazdigo wrote:Could someone provide links to some quality component to scart adapters? I haven't been able to find a cheap one in the US. Shipping them overseas cost more than the item itself from the ones I've found and I don't know if they are wired correctly.
Any RCA or BNC (with RCA adapters) to SCART adapter from the popular boutique manufacturers will work fine; just match Y to G, Pb to B, and Pr to R; no need to get specifically a YPbPr component to SCART adapter.
Can you give an example? I've also been looking and can't find hint of one US based...
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

ldeveraux wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:
Can you give an example? I've also been looking and can't find hint of one US based...
Huh. Retro-Access is based in the US; and, you're right, they don't seem to have any SCART to BNC adapters in their online store; but they can and will custom-build cables and adapters to specification.

Shoot them an email, asking if they can give you a quote for a short 4x female BNC (RGBS video) + 2x female RCA (Stereo audio) to male SCART cable, and then you can pair that with some female RCA to male BNC adapters . If they can't do the female BNC for whatever reason, get male BNC for BNC, and then get some female RCA to female BNC adapters. I don't think they have parts to do RCA connectors for the video, but if that's something you'd prefer, it won't hurt to ask.
arithmaldor

Post by arithmaldor »

You can also use this:
https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/9mo0B0iU
And then a male to male scart cable. Just don't populate anything but the scart port and RCA jacks.

You can also make one fairly easily, however might not be easy anymore as I used an HDRetrovision extension cable and they are closed. But you could use male cables and female RCA couplers.
Visit Tinkerplunk for mods, repairs, and custom PCBs!
Twitter: @arithmaldor
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

I'm just shocked they aren't readily available; seems like it would be popular. Rather than rig some up, I'll probably just wait for the new gcompsw and just use Component Input.
Dazdigo

Post by Dazdigo »

Arithmaldor that is exactly what I am looking for, however I do not want to deal with making it myself, nor am I am confident enough to do this myself.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

ldeveraux wrote:I'm just shocked they aren't readily available; seems like it would be popular. Rather than rig some up, I'll probably just wait for the new gcompsw and just use Component Input.
I may be misinterpreting your post, but you're still going to need an 3x or 4x RCA->SCART adapter in order to use component on the new gscartsw; there hasn't been any indication of RCA inputs on the new gscartsw.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

nmalinoski wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:I'm just shocked they aren't readily available; seems like it would be popular. Rather than rig some up, I'll probably just wait for the new gcompsw and just use Component Input.
I may be misinterpreting your post, but you're still going to need an 3x or 4x RCA->SCART adapter in order to use component on the new gscartsw; there hasn't been any indication of RCA inputs on the new gscartsw.
I'm also not sure why you're restricting your shopping to the United States. I get almost all my stuff from Retro Gaming Cables and it's stellar quality.

This little guy in particular handles break-out in both directions (cable direction is important for scart sync+audio)
https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/aud ... rter-cable
Dazdigo

Post by Dazdigo »

The OSSC can take component signal over the scart head.

Having component to scart adapters will allow some of us to reduce the amount of switches we use in our setup. Gscartw also are known to have great signal quality compared to cheap alternatives.
Last edited by Dazdigo on Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

nmalinoski wrote:
Or I might have my component outputting consoles from the gcompsw to the TV. Avoid SCART completely for those.
arithmaldor

Post by arithmaldor »

DirkSwizzler wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:
I'm also not sure why you're restricting your shopping to the United States. I get almost all my stuff from Retro Gaming Cables and it's stellar quality.

This little guy in particular handles break-out in both directions (cable direction is important for scart sync+audio)
https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/aud ... rter-cable
Yes if anyone needs component to scart adapters, get this (free shipping to US) and then the BNC female to RCA female adapters mentioned earlier. Perfect.
Visit Tinkerplunk for mods, repairs, and custom PCBs!
Twitter: @arithmaldor
cook99

Post by cook99 »

Wonder if Rob from retrogamingcables would make a batch of scart to female component cables if there is enough demand rather than having to use the extra BNC adaptors. If the gscart lite makes use of this I think there will be plenty people wanting these, I'd take 4 or 5.
dark1x

Post by dark1x »

Anyone have any power supply recommendations? The one that shipped with my GScart is very noisy (chirping) so I've been using an alternative but the tip isn't as long as the other so it easily loses connection when bumped. So I'm just looking for a PSU that fits my needs in Europe without having to buy a few to find out (since short tips appear to be common).
superg

Post by superg »

dark1x wrote:Anyone have any power supply recommendations? The one that shipped with my GScart is very noisy (chirping) so I've been using an alternative but the tip isn't as long as the other so it easily loses connection when bumped. So I'm just looking for a PSU that fits my needs in Europe without having to buy a few to find out (since short tips appear to be common).
The ones I bundle are usually silent, was it like that since you got the switch or started to appear later?
The sound usually comes from a choke (inductor) and can be improved by covering it with special coat (or replaced). But yes, it's much simpler just to get another power supply. I have an Xbox One S with that humming noise which I hate, have to do something about it.
dark1x

Post by dark1x »

superg wrote:
dark1x wrote:Anyone have any power supply recommendations? The one that shipped with my GScart is very noisy (chirping) so I've been using an alternative but the tip isn't as long as the other so it easily loses connection when bumped. So I'm just looking for a PSU that fits my needs in Europe without having to buy a few to find out (since short tips appear to be common).
The ones I bundle are usually silent, was it like that since you got the switch or started to appear later?
The sound usually comes from a choke (inductor) and can be improved by covering it with special coat (or replaced). But yes, it's much simpler just to get another power supply. I have an Xbox One S with that humming noise which I hate, have to do something about it.
Yeah, it's been that way since day 1. I simply used an alternative power supply but since it has a short tip, I've been meaning to replace it with another PSU and only now just getting around to it. I pulled the original power supply and was immediately reminded of its original issue.
irate.overlord

Post by irate.overlord »

I'm also looking to buy a gscartsw (or the lite version), so I am interested in the pre-order