Have any manufacturers ever made true RGB OLED screens?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Lawfer

Have any manufacturers ever made true RGB OLED screens?

Post by Lawfer »

From what I understand, there is still no true RGB OLED screens so far, Samsung tried to make some, but abondoned before releasing any. LG makes hybrid W-OLED screen and Samsung is attemping to make hybrid QD-OLED screens.

None of which are true RGB OLED.

Here is the difference:

Thomago

Re: Have any manufacturers ever made true RGB OLED screens?

Post by Thomago »

The problem with "true RGB" OLED screens is that the blue diode has a comparatively limited service life. So, for extended service life devices like TVs, the W-OLED solution ist preferred. OLED smartphone screens are (generally?) based on RGB OLEDs (I guess they enable some space saving, and people tend to replace their smartphones every 1 to 2 years, so the limited service life isn't a problem).
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

they really need some kind of breakthrough in manufacturing oled screens.

they have been out long enough now, you would think that yeilds would be way up and that oled would have replaced most other types of tvs by now.

but they are still a premium technology.
Thomago

Post by Thomago »

With Micro LEDs on the horizon, I honestly think OLED displays are a dead end.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Both W-OLED and Micro-LED uses color filters (OLED uses an organic color filter and Micro-LED uses an inorganic color filter).

So not as good as a Samsung Real OLED TV:

https://www.oled-info.com/samsung-real-oled-tv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsRrw_XJVfo

And it only costs 9k!

Well that is if it was ever released, which doesn't look like it was ever made available for purchase?
Thomago

Post by Thomago »

The difference is that Micro LEDs won't go bad that fast.

EDiT: Micro LED doesn't seem to use color filters. Also, there is no such thing as inorganic and organic color filters.
Last edited by Thomago on Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

I imagine any OLED BVMs and PVMs would use true RGB.
Thomago

Post by Thomago »

Are there such devices? If there were, I imagine they wouldn't use RGB OLEDs, as color accuracy would go to hell rapidly.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Thomago wrote:With Micro LEDs on the horizon, I honestly think OLED displays are a dead end.
I can't imagine Micro-LED becoming affordable-enough before something like a decade from now.
And right now investment in OLED is soaring, not just from LG.
So I would expect OLED to become much more common than it is today and reach sales challenging LCD on the TV market.
(not on the monitor's though, no way)
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Thomago

Post by Thomago »

According to news articles I've read, Micro LED might become a thing in consumer devices next year. We'll see how fast market diffusion is from then on...
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

For mobile devices yes that would be plausible, but TVs and monitors? I don't think so.
IIRC the only existing TV-sized protos took a lot of time to make and cost the equivalent of a small house.
Thomago

Post by Thomago »

Well, at least MicroLED monitors are technically plausible, in contrast to OLED monitors.

We'll see!
Btw, nice that this stuff stays exciting :D
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

It sure sounds better and more versatile than OLED, and is probably the reason why several of the ususal suspects didn't invest like LG or only a little.
Thomago

Post by Thomago »

Btw, have I ever mentioned how perfidious I think OLED smartphones are?

First, the customer buys a new smartphone with a sparkly new OLED screen. Then, due to use (bad customer!), the screen degrades. After about a year, or two the screen has become considerably worse. The customer gets to compare his henceforth old smartphone with a new smartphone and lo and behold - the new smartphone's screen is much much better! Wow, how fast technology advances!!!
So, the customer buys a new smartphone with a sparkly new OLED screen...

Of course that's exaggerated, but I wouldn't wonder if manufactures took OLED degradation as a feature, not as a problem.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

I think they've always considered that people would regularily buy new smartphones anyway.
Honestly around me I've seen extremely few carrying a 3~4 years old model like mine lol.
Thomago

Post by Thomago »

I recently bought a new smartphone and as I plan to use it for about 4 years (like the one before it), OLED was a no-go.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Thomago wrote:EDiT: Micro LED doesn't seem to use color filters. Also, there is no such thing as inorganic and organic color filters.
Micro LED uses color filters, you can google it.

The "O" of OLED stands for "Organic", Micro LED just like non-true RGB OLEDs uses color filters, however the color filter is inorganic as it's made of gallium nitride.
Thomago

Post by Thomago »

The MicroLED-technology's diodes are based on gallium nitride. There are no additional gallium nitride color filters in there.

I mean... where do you see a "filter" here?

Xyga

Post by Xyga »

True RGB DISCOLED !!!*

This is the future 8)

(requires viewer to dance. lagless.)

Thomago

Post by Thomago »

Lagless but not legless!
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

What you show is only theoretical, that is only IF they use True RGB MicroLED, this is how OLED was presented as a few years ago and instead they cheapened out in the end and gimped it with W-OLED.

Here is an actual patent for MicroLED that shows the required use of a color filter to reproduce colors:

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2015/04/prweb12681038.htm

Anyway I don't really care about MicroLED it is years away and even more years away from being affordable, OLED isn't even that affordable yet still and it's been on the market for a few years already.

After searching for a bit, I found that it does seem like Samsung has at least managed to release a True-RGB OLED TV back in 2013, the KE55S9C:

https://www.samsung.com/uk/tvs/curved-oled-s9c/

Though it doesn't look like they made too many of these, which is not surprising seeing as how much they cost when they released.
Thomago

Post by Thomago »

The point is, MicroLED doesn't use filters per se. Saying it does would be like saying OLED always uses filters. It doesn't, which is why you opened this thread.
Thomago

Post by Thomago »

Addendum: Also, "non-true-RGB" OLEDs are somewhat of a neccesity for long-term use (well, long-term for OLED standards), as the red, green and blue OLEDs deteriorate with different rates (blue OLEDs deteriorate much much much faster). With MicroLED, you don't have this problem, which makes "true-RGB" MicroLEDs more practicable than "true-RGB" OLEDs ever were.
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

I'm not sure if the sony BVM are true rgb oleds but they seem pretty nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESzWY0hW85Y&t=357s

I'm still holding on jumping the oled bandwagon myself. They seem really nice but still got plenty of things they need to iron out before i decide to purchase one. Biggest ones for me will be image retention seeing as i will be using mine for doing some 4:3 retro gaming.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Lots of discussion in this thread wishing for RGB OLED, nothing saying why WRGB is an issue though. Why does it matter at all that they use white diodes?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

bobrocks95 wrote:Lots of discussion in this thread wishing for RGB OLED, nothing saying why WRGB is an issue though. Why does it matter at all that they use white diodes?
Adjacent pixels share the white. You get full luma resolution and half the color resolution.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd- ... ation.html
We apologise for the inconvenience
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

orange808 wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:Lots of discussion in this thread wishing for RGB OLED, nothing saying why WRGB is an issue though. Why does it matter at all that they use white diodes?
Adjacent pixels share the white. You get full luma resolution and half the color resolution.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd- ... ation.html
I was taken aback by this, but that only applies to LG's RGBW LCD's, not their OLED's. So again not sure how it's an issue.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Thomago

Post by Thomago »

Mhm... maybe overall brightness? Newer OLEDs use an additional white diode (see Lawfer's opening post) to counteract this.
Lord of Pirates

Post by Lord of Pirates »

Xyga wrote:
Thomago wrote:With Micro LEDs on the horizon, I honestly think OLED displays are a dead end.
I can't imagine Micro-LED becoming affordable-enough before something like a decade from now.
And right now investment in OLED is soaring, not just from LG.
So I would expect OLED to become much more common than it is today and reach sales challenging LCD on the TV market.
(not on the monitor's though, no way)
AUO is supposedly going to be shipping mini-LED panels toward the end of the year, that should be a nice step between the two.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Yes mobile-sized displays, but imagine how much time will pass before monitor, then TV-sized panels will be manufactured at reasonable cost?

Took LCD and OLED well over a decade and more about two decades from the first consumer market applications with tiny screens to broadly available and affordable large monitors and TVs.

Micro-LED is merely emerging. Again; TV-sized Micro-LED displays right now exist, but cost about the price of a house or a supercar.