tatsujin/truxton appreciation thread.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
maximo310

Re: tatsujin/truxton appreciation thread.

Post by maximo310 »

For me, tatsujin is a game I'd like to clear at some point ( only gotten up to stg3 boss), since I did have some fun casually playing it here and there.

For Tatsujin ou, no thanks. Doing practice up to the stg4 boss in runs and some areas of stg5 made me try out dogyuun instead ( which isn't too bad for a clear).
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

I only wanted to do a "no-miss" run with 2 players, but had to be done with save states because I hate having to start over the same sections again or resort to bomb spamming..... It is quite bold doing no-miss at maximum speed.

Well... I did manage to clear the first loop using up all the bombs left while piloting 2 players at once.

Stage 6's few mini bosses had to be cleared with bombs such as those U-shaped spread shots that suddenly transform into a smaller and speedy ship shooting 4 way spread that is impossible to dodge due to a gigantic hit-box and being at maximum speed; also that big purple thing with three spinning options that spray tiny bullets while being bombarded with green pawns that fly fast and charge at you. That purple mini-boss can technically be cleared with 1 bomb as long as you always keep your main shot and having red napalm missiles constantly hitting it, but 2 is far safer.

Stage 6 boss is far easier than stage 4 and 5 since the bullet patterns are slow enough to dodge at maximum speed as long as you react within half a second and the head never goes all the way down.

Anyways... I do not plan to do the second loop, but it is satisfying play all the way through without having to lose a single ship for any purpose of resetting to 3 bombs.

I do not know if any of you bother playing with 2 players because I believe that maybe the bosses receive a slight increase in stamina plus that bombs are less likely to spawn compared to single player. Otherwise, it is faster to take down resilient enemies with 2 players firing main shots at full power plus red napalm bombs.
Square_Air

Post by Square_Air »

MrJBRPG wrote:I only wanted to do a "no-miss" run with 2 players, but had to be done with save states because I hate having to start over the same sections again or resort to bomb spamming..... It is quite bold doing no-miss at maximum speed.

Well... I did manage to clear the first loop using up all the bombs left while piloting 2 players at once.

Anyways... I do not plan to do the second loop, but it is satisfying play all the way through without having to lose a single ship for any purpose of resetting to 3 bombs.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you used save states in a run it's neither a No-Miss or a clear. This would certainly be an interesting TAS to watch though.
ImageImageImage
| 1cc | Twitch |
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

Square_Air wrote:
MrJBRPG wrote:I only wanted to do a "no-miss" run with 2 players, but had to be done with save states because I hate having to start over the same sections again or resort to bomb spamming..... It is quite bold doing no-miss at maximum speed.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you used save states in a run it's neither a No-Miss or a clear. This would certainly be an interesting TAS to watch though.
That explains the quote of "no miss" but the problem was that I did not know how to actually record input while using save states.

Anyways... it is a much bigger feat to actually pull it all off in one sitting. However, at least the tools provided will help learn about the patterns and strategies to get closer to a polished full session run.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

MrJBRPG wrote:That explains the quote of "no miss" but the problem was that I did not know how to actually record input while using save states.
You need an emulator with re-recording features. TASC mostly uses FBA-rr for arcade stuff, but MAME-rr exists. It uses a 0.138 core but that should be fine for Tatsujin Ou if you want to try it.
pmp

Post by pmp »

Played some Tatsujin Ou today. Pretty fun game to chill with until you die.
crazyrexz

Post by crazyrexz »

does genesis port is faithful from the arcade ? something misssing?
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

crazyrexz wrote:does genesis port is faithful from the arcade ? something misssing?
you only get about half the screen, and a couple of safespots don't work anymore. max power red weapon gives you a shield that protects you from enemies (but not their bullets) when you fire. colors are kind of ugly, but there's a patch for that: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2780/

also due to the developers' lack of knowledge, at the time, of how Genesis's sound hardware works the music is sped up.
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

all that being said it was developed by Toaplan so the enemy patterns and overall rhythm of the game are mostly faithful.
FRO

Post by FRO »

mycophobia wrote:
crazyrexz wrote:does genesis port is faithful from the arcade ? something misssing?
you only get about half the screen, and a couple of safespots don't work anymore. max power red weapon gives you a shield that protects you from enemies (but not their bullets) when you fire. colors are kind of ugly, but there's a patch for that: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2780/

also due to the developers' lack of knowledge, at the time, of how Genesis's sound hardware works the music is sped up.
Thanks for sharing the rom hack link - I was unaware of this! I own the original cart, but this would be interesting to play around with on a Retron 5, where you can insert the patch. I don't see that much in the way of changes, but I suppose I'd have to look at it side-by-side with the original to see the difference.
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

FRO wrote:
mycophobia wrote:

Thanks for sharing the rom hack link - I was unaware of this! I own the original cart, but this would be interesting to play around with on a Retron 5, where you can insert the patch. I don't see that much in the way of changes, but I suppose I'd have to look at it side-by-side with the original to see the difference.
I've never used the patch myself and I haven't really played the Genesis port that much either, so the changes might not be all that significant.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u7zEQy13rg
This is the MD Truxton's BGM at the right speed. Much better!

Turrican on Genesis has a similar speed up in BGM, & also the game speed itself. It seems like a 50/60 Hz issue.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

gameoverDude wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u7zEQy13rg

Turrican on Genesis has a similar speed up in BGM, & also the game speed itself. It seems like a 50/60 Hz issue.
Turrican was designed with 50 Hz in mind, but the music in Truxton has more to do with the developer not being used to the hardware, not a 50/60 Hz issue. However, the music quality of Turrican pales in comparison to the Amiga version.
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

Cool!
parallaxscroll2

Post by parallaxscroll2 »

Enjoy these scans :)

EGM (issue #8, March 1990)

EGM (same issue)

ImageImage

Video Games & Computer Entertainment:

Sega Visions:

Computer and VideoGames

Mean Machines:

Diehard GameFan (FM Towns Marty version of Tatsujin Oh / Truxton II)

Last edited by parallaxscroll2 on Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

:shock: fuckin awesome dude!! slide-and-shoot, lmfao
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

BrianC wrote:

Turrican was designed with 50 Hz in mind, but the music in Truxton has more to do with the developer not being used to the hardware, not a 50/60 Hz issue. However, the music quality of Turrican pales in comparison to the Amiga version.
I agree. Genesis could have done a better job with the Turrican BGM. The music is still recognizable, but the arranger did a lousy job. Chris Hulsbeck's work on Mega Turrican is great stuff.

As for Truxton, the PC Engine version's soundtrack is all kinds of good, with some great drum samples. It sounds close to the arcade. Tsukasa Masuko gave it some real TLC.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Interesting that EGM refers to the FM Towns games as "Tatsujin" when it's really Tatsujin Ou.
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

You mean GameFan?
Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

parallaxscroll2 wrote:Enjoy these scans :)
Love this stuff, thanks.
parallaxscroll2

BrianC wrote:Interesting that EGM refers to the FM Towns games as "Tatsujin" when it's really Tatsujin Ou.
It was Diehard GameFan, and yeah they did kinda mess that up. At least they mentioned it was Truxton II.

BTW, it was from this issue: https://archive.org/details/Gamefan_Vol_1_Issue_08

Also, for people that would love to see every issue of GameFan, but didn't know about this, you can here:

https://archive.org/search.php?query=Ga ... itleSorter
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

It's been mentioned on here before, but there is a good read about Gamefan's past if you can find it.
My lord, I have come for you.
parallaxscroll2

EDGE magazine also reviewed the FM Towns port of the sequel.

BrianC

Post by BrianC »

mycophobia wrote:You mean GameFan?
doh. I saw the EGM at the top of the page and didn't notice Gamefan above the picture. oops!
BIL

Post by BIL »

parallaxscroll2 wrote:EDGE magazine also reviewed the FM Towns port of the sequel.
Superb scans as always, parallax. :smile:

Love seeing vintage Edge. Raiden DX PS1 review was a significant gaffe, stepping on the "Raiden II again" rake if memory serves, but by mainstream standards they were an absolute cut above in STG coverage. Their DDP DOJ and Psyvariar 2: Ultimate Final import reviews circa 2003 were eye-openers for a latent, non-importer fan who'd fallen into bad JRPGs. Favourable (8 and 7 iirc), but more importantly they articulated why this genre works (or doesn't work) for people in a way I still find useful.

They seem a tad confused as to VING's role here, but I'm glad they at least didn't call 'em "BING" like the mag a few posts up. :lol:
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

edge magazine's layout and design is hella classy for 1993
BIL

Post by BIL »

Yeah, their binding and paperstock was smoove, too. :O I still treasure the little stash I built up from late 2002 through 2004, while studying in the UK.

Was leafing through a new issue at the train station recently, I've kinda moved on from magazines and websites in general but it was still pretty good times.

Also "Tom the Bomb" :lol:
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Thanks for the scans! Cool stuff. Is the 2nd one EGM as well? It's not labeled.

"Toeplin" lol

Did people actually import FMT Martys and the games? Coverage of Ou seems to indicate it was a thing. What were the prices like?
parallaxscroll2

OmegaFlareX wrote:Thanks for the scans! Cool stuff. Is the 2nd one EGM as well? It's not labeled.
Yep, they were both in EGM, and now labeled.

edit: just realized that Galloping Ghost Arcade near Chicago has both Truxton and Truxton II :)

http://www.gallopingghostarcade.com/tru ... st-arcade/
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Tatsujin-ou on the Marty/FMT was 90 UKP at that time... Damn. In USD I'm sure that would've been over $110, right?
Were all the FMT games that much at launch?

I can't believe Edge dissed Galaxy Force II. Maybe they don't like that it can be finished rather quickly, in less than 15 minutes.
Kinect? KIN NOT.