Questions that do not deserve a thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Ikaruga11

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by Ikaruga11 »

nmalinoski wrote:
GeneraLight wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:when you say skewed, do you mean horizontally shifted? because it does that on all displays not just PVM/BVM
I mean the funky wavy distortions that you commonly see people show and complain about when trying to play Dreamcast on their PVM/BVM. The same thing happens with the Genesis when VCR Mode isn't enabled/not available. I was wondering if the Dreamcast was the only 480p console to give these wavy/skewed images.

If the Dreamcast is the only 31kHz console that displays this behavior, then investing in an Extron 203 Rxi isn't worth it for just one console.
Is there video of this behavior? (Not necessarily yours specifically.)
I can't find any videos of this behavior. Just a lot of people complaining about it and a few pictures.

https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/comm ... cast_toro/
Revolver Ocelot

Post by Revolver Ocelot »

I finally got a crt set that has a S-Video and a RGB Scart socket. My old Dreamcast scart cable has spoiled allready. That's why i asked a modder to make a 480p rgb Scart cable for usage for my Framemeister. As I am not sure if this Special cable will work on a non 480p device i am looking for a alternative Video cable for CRT usage. I know that in theory RGB Scart is supirior to S Video. But is the difference really that big on a old CRT tv? The reason I am asking is because I would have to Chance to get a S Video cable at cheaper Price than the RGB Scart. I do not want to be stingy if I can get more value for the Money I will get the more expensive Option. But if the difference is not that big I can live with the cheaper solution as well.

Does anybody of you has compared the Image Quality of S Video and RGB Scart on a old CRT Set? What do you guys think about the differences?
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Revolver Ocelot wrote:Does anybody of you has compared the Image Quality of S Video and RGB Scart on a old CRT Set? What do you guys think about the differences?
Well it depends on the consoles and their revisions and picture quality of course.

But in general:

RGB is better, S-Video is okayish but not as nice/sharp as RGB, composite is the worst.

If your console will output RGB, S-Video and Composite, then use RGB, if your console will output S-Video and Composite, use S-Video.
Revolver Ocelot

Lawfer wrote:
Revolver Ocelot wrote:Does anybody of you has compared the Image Quality of S Video and RGB Scart on a old CRT Set? What do you guys think about the differences?
Well it depends on the consoles and their revisions and picture quality of course.

But in general:

RGB is better, S-Video is okayish but not as nice/sharp as RGB, composite is the worst.

If your console will output RGB, S-Video and Composite, then use RGB, if your console will output S-Video and Composite, use S-Video.
Thanks for the answer. Yes I know that.

In case of the Dreamcast the best would be VGA, then RGB Scart, then S Video and then Composite. That is the theory.

But i wonder if the RGB Scart, the second best opition is really that much better than S Video on a CRT. I tested some of my consoles on it already and even Composite Looks quite good on the CRT. No compersion to my 4k TV where Composite is really bad.

And the N64 with s-Video also Looks great on the crt. So i wonder if RGB is really necessary for the DC, when the cheaper S-Video cable is more than good enough..
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Revolver Ocelot wrote:So i wonder if RGB is really necessary for the DC, when the cheaper S-Video cable is more than good enough..
Well it's up to you if you want to use S-Video over RGB or not. The Dreamcast output a native 480p in most games through VGA (RGBHV), S-Video will limit things to 480i.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

GeneraLight wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:when you say skewed, do you mean horizontally shifted? because it does that on all displays not just PVM/BVM
I mean the funky wavy distortions that you commonly see people show and complain about when trying to play Dreamcast on their PVM/BVM. The same thing happens with the Genesis when VCR Mode isn't enabled/not available. I was wondering if the Dreamcast was the only 480p console to give these wavy/skewed images.

If the Dreamcast is the only 31kHz console that displays this behavior, then investing in an Extron 203 Rxi isn't worth it for just one console.
does your display support separate HV sync or do you have the dreamcast wired using c-sync?

the DC doesn't support c-sync in 31kHz mode
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

nmalinoski wrote:
GeneraLight wrote:

Is there video of this behavior? (Not necessarily yours specifically.)
You can look at RetroRGB's videos about the 68x card and the skew it gets on the top on the A-Series BVM's. Not quite as bad but it's definitely there on a BVM.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

maxtherabbit wrote:
GeneraLight wrote:

does your display support separate HV sync or do you have the dreamcast wired using c-sync?

the DC doesn't support c-sync in 31kHz mode
I have a D24, which does not accept RGBHV. My Dreamcast isn't modded yet. I want to know how I can get the sharpest picture out of my Dreamcast with access to 240p/480i and 480p with a single cable.

Dochartaigh wrote:You can look at RetroRGB's videos about the 68x card and the skew it gets on the top on the A-Series BVM's. Not quite as bad but it's definitely there on a BVM.
Yes. The Dreamcast suffers a similar skewed image as the Master System, but is a 31kHz console instead of a 15kHz console and thus cannot be fixed with VCR Mode on 480p.

http://retrorgb.com/bkm-68x.html

https://youtu.be/CneMJC-zTf8
https://youtu.be/SkslzaHJXzE
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

GeneraLight wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:the DC doesn't support c-sync in 31kHz mode
I have a D24, which does not accept RGBHV. My Dreamcast isn't modded yet. I want to know how I can get the sharpest picture out of my Dreamcast with access to 240p/480i and 480p with a single cable.
maxtherabbit is correct in that the DC doesn't support composite sync with 31kHz output; however, you can get 480p RGBS output by using a BeharBros Toro. You need to toggle the switch between the SCART and VGA connectors (I believe it ships in RGBHV mode, so you need to toggle it for RGBS output); and then, looking at the bank of switches on the side, you need to toggle the far-right switch. I forget exactly which position is which, but, if it's not one, then it's the other.

If you don't want a BeharBros VGA box (which I understand; they add probably 8 or 9 inches to the depth of the Dreamcast), I think thefoo.83 sells a SCART cable with a mode switch that might give you 480p over SCART, but I haven't bought or tried one.

GeneraLight wrote:
Dochartaigh wrote:You can look at RetroRGB's videos about the 68x card and the skew it gets on the top on the A-Series BVM's. Not quite as bad but it's definitely there on a BVM.
Yes. The Dreamcast suffers a similar skewed image as the Master System, but is a 31kHz console instead of a 15kHz console and thus cannot be fixed with VCR Mode on 480p.

http://retrorgb.com/bkm-68x.html

https://youtu.be/CneMJC-zTf8
https://youtu.be/SkslzaHJXzE
So, after watching both videos, I have a better understanding of what's happening to cause the skew, and it looks like it's possible to stabilize the sync signal with another video processor, but not all video processors seem to be capable of smoothing out the signal like the VCR mode on the D-series or the Extron 580xi. If the Dreamcast does cause this behavior on the A-Series BVMs, it makes me wonder if the sync combiner in the Toro makes a difference.
EthicalShooter

Post by EthicalShooter »

Reposting this from several pages ago:
EthicalShooter wrote:I have a Genesis model 2 that has a semi-broken controller port: the down arrow doesn't work unless I very lightly tilt the controller plug upward in my direction, after which it works for 2-10 minutes. I've tried 2 controllers and it's the exact same for both.

I already reflowed the solder on the pins; what could be the issue?

I already installed a Mega Amp so I'm not going to just get another system.
Kez

Post by Kez »

You could try cleaning the pins, or failing that transplant a connector in from another console.

Pin 3 is d-pad left, check the continuity on that with a multimeter.

http://pinouts.ru/Game/genesiscontroller_pinout.shtml
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Does it happen in controller port 2?
Revolver Ocelot

Lawfer wrote:
Revolver Ocelot wrote:So i wonder if RGB is really necessary for the DC, when the cheaper S-Video cable is more than good enough..
Well it's up to you if you want to use S-Video over RGB or not. The Dreamcast output a native 480p in most games through VGA (RGBHV), S-Video will limit things to 480i.
I am Aware of that. But the question is about CRT Gaming only. And my new (old) CRT is a 480i only model.So question is if the 480 Image with scart is really that better than S-Video to justify the higher Price of the RGB Scart cable or not..
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

Where do people get the nice, fully shielded cable used for SCART cables? I need to make an adapter that none of these folks sell and I'm struggling to find good cable to use. I have some Mogami cable that is an 8-pair snake cable, but it is crazy thick, so it won't serve the purpose very well. Need to be able to use it with 8-pin DIN connectors.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

thebigcheese wrote:Where do people get the nice, fully shielded cable used for SCART cables? I need to make an adapter that none of these folks sell and I'm struggling to find good cable to use. I have some Mogami cable that is an 8-pair snake cable, but it is crazy thick, so it won't serve the purpose very well. Need to be able to use it with 8-pin DIN connectors.
I'm not sure about Retro Gaming Cables, but I do know that Retro Access is able to make custom cables, and it looks like they have 8-pin DIN parts. What kind of adapter are you building?
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

nmalinoski wrote:
thebigcheese wrote:Where do people get the nice, fully shielded cable used for SCART cables? I need to make an adapter that none of these folks sell and I'm struggling to find good cable to use. I have some Mogami cable that is an 8-pair snake cable, but it is crazy thick, so it won't serve the purpose very well. Need to be able to use it with 8-pin DIN connectors.
I'm not sure about Retro Gaming Cables, but I do know that Retro Access is able to make custom cables, and it looks like they have 8-pin DIN parts. What kind of adapter are you building?
I've emailed both. RGC does not do custom cables, haven't heard back from Retro Access yet. It's a simple little thing, I just want to break out the audio basically. The idea is that I can use the standard cable I already have with my CoreGrafx by itself, getting audio and video from the DIN jack of the CoreGrafx, or plug into the adapter I want to make and to get video from the CoreGrafx and audio from the RCA jacks on an interface unit for use with the CD drive. I need like 6" of cable and a couple plugs, just can't figure out where to get the cable from...
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

thebigcheese wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:
I've emailed both. RGC does not do custom cables, haven't heard back from Retro Access yet. It's a simple little thing, I just want to break out the audio basically. The idea is that I can use the standard cable I already have with my CoreGrafx by itself, getting audio and video from the DIN jack of the CoreGrafx, or plug into the adapter I want to make and to get video from the CoreGrafx and audio from the RCA jacks on an interface unit for use with the CD drive. I need like 6" of cable and a couple plugs, just can't figure out where to get the cable from...
have you exhausted both mouser and digikey? that's where ive purchased such cables before, tho probably not for the same thing. often the best stuff comes in larger quantities and that's why the cable makers can sell it cheaper. it may be a large minimum for a decent price. in the past, when i have made a custom cable for a system, I've purchased a bnc cable from monoprice or mcm electronics. then i cut off one side and solder stuff on. maybe some version of that approach can work for you
Galdelico

Post by Galdelico »

Hi all, I thought to post this here, before launching yet another thread that may have been already done to death...

Basically, a good friend of mine is going to move in a new place soon and have a more spacious gameroom, so he's willing to add an arcade cab to his collection. Even though he's pretty great at shmups - he used to lurk around here for hi-scores and challenges, yet he never signed in - he's new to arcade collecting, hence I'm looking for basic infos on his behalf (mind you, I'm even newber... Apologies in advance for the down to the ground level of my questions).

- First of all: what kind of cab comes the most recommended nowadays? He's going to play vertical shmups for the most part, but also has a nice AES/MVS collection, so it's not going to be tate-only gameplay.

- His first pick-up will be Dimahoo, but he's been warned/read stuff about batteries on arcade boards (in general? Is this correct?) reaching some sort of lifespan limit, and dying... So he'd like to know what exactly one needs to especially look at, when jumping into pcb collecting.

- He's located in Italy, just in case some Italian member might want to get in touch and give him some clue directly.

I'm aware similar questions must be super frequent, on here, yet a brief search didn't give me great results, so feel free to just point me in the right direction, if the same topic has been already discussed anywhere else (I'm most active in the OSSC thread, but I'm not a huge poster). Any help would come massively appreciated.

Thank you all! ^_-
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

have you exhausted both mouser and digikey? that's where ive purchased such cables before, tho probably not for the same thing. often the best stuff comes in larger quantities and that's why the cable makers can sell it cheaper. it may be a large minimum for a decent price. in the past, when i have made a custom cable for a system, I've purchased a bnc cable from monoprice or mcm electronics. then i cut off one side and solder stuff on. maybe some version of that approach can work for you
Yeah, I've been looking through their website sites as well as Markertek, which is where I've gotten bulk cable in the past. Going direct to the various manufacturers' web sites, it looks like Gelden makes something that would work, but can't find anyone that sells it. I could just get an 8-pin DIN extension cable and tear it open, but I suspect it would not be a nice, shielded cable.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

thebigcheese wrote:
Yeah, I've been looking through their website sites as well as Markertek, which is where I've gotten bulk cable in the past. Going direct to the various manufacturers' web sites, it looks like Gelden makes something that would work, but can't find anyone that sells it. I could just get an 8-pin DIN extension cable and tear it open, but I suspect it would not be a nice, shielded cable.
Try getting in touch with Retro Access again. The first time I emailed them, I didn't get a response, but I got one quickly the second time I tried. If they can't outright build you the adapter you want, they might be willing to sell you a length of cable.
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

@Galdelico: those are actually questions that do deserve a thread.. arcade folks probably do not follow this one (and btw no, it doesn't look like arcade-related topics are frequently discussed here).

What I can tell you even without being much into arcade stuff, is that if your friend wants to play both tate and yoko he's really going to need two cabs. Or a supergun+OSSC+flatscreen for a modern setup (but then he won't enjoy equal bragging rights :) )
Galdelico

Post by Galdelico »

Xer Xian wrote:@Galdelico: those are actually questions that do deserve a thread.. arcade folks probably do not follow this one (and btw no, it doesn't look like arcade-related topics are frequently discussed here).

What I can tell you even without being much into arcade stuff, is that if your friend wants to play both tate and yoko he's really going to need two cabs. Or a supergun+OSSC+flatscreen for a modern setup (but then he won't enjoy equal bragging rights :) )
Haha, that sounds about right. I can already see him adding a new cab to the shopping list :D

Thanks XX, I'll make sure to start a new thread, then.
FriendofSonic

Post by FriendofSonic »

Does anyone know where I can find quality male to male BNC 75ohm cables? Need 4 of them and I haven't been satisfied with the reviews I've seen on some of the major cable makers I've found
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

FriendofSonic wrote:Does anyone know where I can find quality male to male BNC 75ohm cables? Need 4 of them and I haven't been satisfied with the reviews I've seen on some of the major cable makers I've found
You talking about 4x or 5x BNC's on each end or single?

You can find used or NOS, Extron or Liberty brand off eBay (I prefer Extron with longer leads for my Extron Crosspoint switchers). Maybe $18/each unless you catch a deal. The monoprice, which I have about 15 of, have been perfectly fine as well – some split insulation on a few wires over time, but no noise I can see on my CRT's (I'm just switching over to Extron everything).
Logan Jones

Post by Logan Jones »

Is there any site that sells new Atari 5200 Y-cables?
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Question about N64 EverDrive: is the only difference I'll notice between the $107 v2.5 and the $175 v3 just the ability to save and NOT have to reset the console after a save on the v3? I don't need a "real time clock" or "USB port for developers" (and kinda don't even like N64, but an Everdrive, if I can get the $107 one, will be cheaper than the 4-5 games I want to get for n64).
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Logan Jones wrote:Is there any site that sells new Atari 5200 Y-cables?
If you haven't already, you should ask at Atariage.

http://atariage.com/forums/forum/46-wanted/
We apologise for the inconvenience
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Dochartaigh wrote:Question about N64 EverDrive: is the only difference I'll notice between the $107 v2.5 and the $175 v3 just the ability to save and NOT have to reset the console after a save on the v3? I don't need a "real time clock" or "USB port for developers" (and kinda don't even like N64, but an Everdrive, if I can get the $107 one, will be cheaper than the 4-5 games I want to get for n64).
From the way it sounds, yeah, you're better off with the EverDrive 64 v2.5 over the v3. In my case, I went with the v3; I don't need the RTC, but I do know I'm going to forget to hit Reset at some point and lose my progress.
zimes

Post by zimes »

Can anyone recommend a PS1/PS2 to USB adapter that works on Windows 10? I'm aware of the Mayflash Super Dual Box Pro, but it's an older product so I worry about it being detected on Windows 10.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

nmalinoski wrote:From the way it sounds, yeah, you're better off with the EverDrive 64 v2.5 over the v3. In my case, I went with the v3; I don't need the RTC, but I do know I'm going to forget to hit Reset at some point and lose my progress.
So say I'm in a tough spot in a game, which will take me like 30 tries to get right (ok, I suck at video games - I admit it lol). When I save the game, then reset it so that save sticks in the Everdrive's memory, would I be able to keep loading that same save game after every time I die - as in quickly? (like die, use the special keypress to load game, die again, keypress to load game, die, keypress to load game, etc. etc. etc.)