SyncBaby - SNES AV Multi-out to VGA D-Sub

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Chipnetics

SyncBaby - SNES AV Multi-out to VGA D-Sub

Post by Chipnetics »

Hi all, long time lurker on the board. Wanted to draw some attention to a product I released on my website and on Tindie that some of you may be interested in.

Compact & efficient SNES AV Multi-out to RGBs (with stereo jack) output for your Super Nintendo!

Finally, no more poor quality, clunky, unshielded, leaky capacitor SCART cables; convert your SNES output to a shielded connection through VGA cables, directly off the AV multi-out connector!

Some features of this board:
  • High quality, low ESR, genuine Kemet 220uF Capacitors
  • Onboard power filtering through decoupling capacitors
  • No external power required
  • Genuine Texas Instruments LM1881 sync separator and cleaner
  • Clean 15Khz (240p) RGBs output
  • Female D-Sub connector output
  • 3.5mm audio jack output
  • High quality 1.6MM PCB in matte black finish
Here is the link to my store: https://www.tindie.com/products/chipnet ... o-adapter/

Last edited by Chipnetics on Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:42 pm, edited 5 times in total.
maxtherabbit

Re: SyncBaby - SNES AV Multi-out to VGA D-Sub

Post by maxtherabbit »

VGA is my favorite analog video connector, I applaud your use of it

however I completely disagree about 3.5mm audio jacks being nicer than RCA - 3.5mm audio cables and jacks break all the time and RCAs are far more robust
Chipnetics

Post by Chipnetics »

Thanks! The jack I used is very high quality with a heavy tactile engagement to it. I think it was rated for over 50,000 insertions (off memory) . I chose 3.5mm as I reckon many people may be using PC speaker setups and be using conversion cables with other products. While I debated RCA connectors the insertion force to properly seat the cable is rather significant for such a small board. If the demand is there it is no big effort to change the connector and offer a variant.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

What 15k equipment has vga input???
Chipnetics

Post by Chipnetics »

There are multiple monitors and projectors that accept vga 15khz. There is a list here http://15khz.wikidot.com

Chipnetics

Post by Chipnetics »

Also you can feed the vga from SyncBaby into a Scanline doubler / upscaler for use on all other monitors.

maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

I have an Asus LCD monitor that takes 15kHz VGA

But the most common applications would be the extron boxes and the ossc
NJRoadfan

Post by NJRoadfan »

The Toshiba TIMM and various vintage PC multisync monitors all have HD-15 VGA ports on them.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

figured id mention that the extron mvx series vga switch takes 15k RGBS over the vga connectors.

Ideally someone would start stocking classic console to vga cables for most of the different systems and get away from scart.
Chipnetics

Post by Chipnetics »

Ideally someone would start stocking classic console to vga cables for most of the different systems and get away from scart.
That is the chief intent here.

SCART is such a poorly constructed connector. The housing that holds the ground shield and the pins is poorly made - all gaming cable distributors, whether premium or budget are using the same plastic housing.

The SCART pins are essentially thin tin that bend and mis-align easily. There is of course the issue with EURO scart vs JP21 as well leaving many people "guessing". The solder joints within the housing are pretty rudimentary as well, with cheap capacitors soldered to bare unshielded wires; alongside other bare wires, crammed into a little area. I tore apart some premium cables and while the wiring is a thicker gauge, perhaps marginally better shielding, the capacitors were still bargain bin general purpose.

What are your guys' feeling on the price? The primary cost is actually the VGA d-sub, it is about $7/EA. I probably could have got away with a cheaper style but I was going for something that wouldn't cause all the same issues SCART has and actually be sturdy and reliable.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

mvsfan wrote:figured id mention that the extron mvx series vga switch takes 15k RGBS over the vga connectors.

Retro_console_accessories/Retro Access has made custom RGBS VGA cables for me in the past for use with an Extron VGA switch. I'd be interested in this, but it seems to output RGBHV...

On the price, considering it comes with a nice VGA cable as well, $30 sounds good. Does it come with a 3.5mm audio cable though?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Chipnetics

Post by Chipnetics »

Thanks for the feedback - I saw many people added it to the cart and didn't check out so was curious. No 3.5mm cable; I'll keep my eyes open to source a high quality one for cheap though.

The output is RGBHV with csync acting as hsync. I have a 'true' hsync implementation but it's a more expensive design that isn't required as it appears every monitor/doubler is okay with csync as hsync. :wink:
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

8bitgasm wrote:Thanks for the feedback - I saw many people added it to the cart and didn't check out so was curious. No 3.5mm cable; I'll keep my eyes open to source a high quality one for cheap though.

The output is RGBHV with csync acting as hsync. I have a 'true' hsync implementation but it's a more expensive design that isn't required as it appears every monitor/doubler is okay with csync as hsync. :wink:
Ah, okay, I could do what I already do then- pull csync from the Hsync line. Cool, I'll keep an eye out for when I upgrade cables.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

8bitgasm wrote:Thanks for the feedback - I saw many people added it to the cart and didn't check out so was curious. No 3.5mm cable; I'll keep my eyes open to source a high quality one for cheap though.

yeah that works most of the time, but you could just use the LMH1980 to get a clean H-sync

there are definitely some displays that won't sync to c-sync as h-sync
Last edited by maxtherabbit on Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chipnetics

Post by Chipnetics »

maxtherabbit wrote:yeah that works most of the time, but you could just use the LMH1980 to get a clean H-sync
Correct, a few dollars more. I also got it working with XNOR gates; however the LMH1980 is certainly a more succinct solution. I would do a LMH1980 version if people really desired it.
Chipnetics

Post by Chipnetics »

I should also note that the SNES connector is NOT a 3D print but rather a sacrificed factory connector. 8)
andy251203

Post by andy251203 »

This is a great idea, but I worry about using heavy duty VGA cables with such a design. I feel like the weight would put a lot of strain on the multi-out connector over time. This design could be miniaturized a bit by using an ultra-slim VGA connector like this one: Image

You could also use surface mount 220uf capacitors, and a surface-mount alternative to the lm1881 and maybe a smaller TRS jack.

Either way, good effort.
Chipnetics

Post by Chipnetics »

That's a good suggestion. The strain isn't bad as the AV input seats relatively deep into the console. It was my concern as well as it cantilevers out and away from the system but all is okay. Surface mount 220uF caps are currently difficult to source and very expensive - there is a severe capacitor supply issue going down lately.

Do you have a part number for that VGA connector?

EDIT: As superficial as it sounds, I also chose the D-sub I did as it was all black, getting away from the dated 'blue' look. Also the VGA cables are entirely black. I will put up some more photos tonight.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

This is really cool, and it looks like the design can be adapted for other consoles as well.

Thoughts/weeds in no particular order:
  • VGA to BNC adapters are 4 to 5 times cheaper than SCART to BNC or BNC to SCART adapters, and aren't directional like the SCART adapters; this is great for owners of CrossPoints and other Extron/Kramer/etc pro AV gear that haven't yet fully invested in SCART.
  • I, too, would like to see RCA audio plugs, mainly because it's my personal preference. I do think that the RCA jacks will be able to better handle a good, heavy cable (like the Monoprice premium RCA cables), as compared to a 3.5mm TRS jack (though, in my experience, it's usually the connectors in the cheap, flimsy TRS cables that fail, not so much the jacks); and there's no significant cost difference between Monoprice's premium straight stereo RCA cables, straight 3.5mm TRS cables, and stereo RCA<->3.5mm TRS cables--the 6- and 10-foot cables are all under $5 a piece, so just get whichever you need for your application.
  • A lot of old consoles, like the NES, SNES, N64, and so on really need a low-pass filter to remove noise, whereas VGA (as in RGBHV and TTL sync) applications are typically clean enough to look good without an LPF. The OSSC was designed with this in mind, so the DE-15 input (AV3) lacks most or all of the LPF functionality that is available on the SCART (AV1) and component (AV2) inputs. Assuming that people are going to use this on AV3 of their OSSC, does the SyncBaby have or need an LPF to remove/reduce noise? Or is it clean enough to start with? (Probably benefits greatly from its location directly at the rear of the console.) If there's no LPF, it shouldn't be too hard/expensive to run the output of, say, a VGA switch into AV1 of the OSSC. (VGA to SCART adapters are, what, $40-$45 USD?)
  • One thing I'd really like to see is an RGBHV/RGBS mode switch (I wouldn't complain if RGsB was available, but it's really not necessary), with the RGBHV mode actually outputting RGBHV instead of RGBSV (which isn't a thing). I imagine a lot of users (myself included) ultimately need their video signals in RGBS, and the Extron VGA switchers will switch all of composite, YC, YPbPr, RGsB, RGBS, and RGBHV just fine. This isn't a problem with this initial version, because, like you said, it outputs composite sync on the horizontal sync line, which is the correct way of transmitting RGBS over VGA cables, but this is a quirk of the hardware and shouldn't be relied upon.
  • It might be nice to have a TOSLINK output in addition to analog output. It probably won't get rid of the analog noise floor, but it the digitization would be very close to the console, and it might help some users avoid audio interference versus analog audio over unshielded cables. Certainly won't help most people with VGA switches, though, since most of them only switch analog audio.
  • If the SyncBaby were to be adapted for other consoles:
    • A PlayStation variant would need a sync stripper to provide composite sync, and it'll need 220uF caps on the RGB lines. For me, nice-to-haves would be a triple-state switch to select between composite video, luma, or csync as the outputted sync signal, and an RCA breakout for composite video for light gun compatibility.
    • An Xbox variant will take some thought. The SyncBaby would need to have a switch to toggle between RGB and YPbPr (Mode is selected by bridging specific pins on the AV port, like with the Dreamcast), and it would need to be able to additionally handle 480p, 720p, and 1080i if supporting YPbPr. As for RGB, the console normally only outputs RGBS in 15kHz, although I'm reading that it should be capable of outputting a slightly broken RGsB signal (Sorry; having trouble finding details), which could possibly be cleaned up/normalized and output as RGBS with a sync stripper--if this is the case, then the SyncBaby, with a custom dashboard/softmod, could get us good 480p/720p/1080i RGBS from the Xbox without a hard mod. A nice to have would be a TOSLINK output, since digital audio is made available directly on AV port.
    • A PS2 variant, like the Xbox variant, should be capable of both RGB and YPbPr (If your chip is capable of analyzing voltage on the R/Pr and B/Pb lines, it might be possible to detect whether video output is RGB or YPbPr), and will need a sync stripper in the same manner the PS1; however, it should be capable of automatically detecting RGsB and converting to RGBS on the fly (Since ED and HD output from the PS2, without a hard mod, is limited to RGsB). Again, a nice-to-have here would be a composite video breakout for light gun compatibility.
    • A Dreamcast variant would likely be simple, like the SNES version, but it should have an RGBS/RGBHV mode switch to help trick non-VGA-compatible games into VGA mode, like many aftermarket VGA boxes and cables currently available. It outputs RGBS and RGBHV natively, so a sync stripper is not necessary, but this would be a good candidate for that RGBHV/RGBS output mode switch I mentioned earlier, so users can get 480p RGBS, as they can currently with the BeharBros Toro.
  • Where AV port strain is a concern, you could add a 2 to 3 inch (~6cm) dongle, just long enough so the SyncBaby can rest on a sturdy surface instead of hanging from the AV port. The BeharBros use this design with their Dreamcast VGA/HDMI boxes, but their dongle cables are significantly longer (Maybe 6 inches or so), and, combined with the 3 inch or so depth of the VGA box itself, they add a significant, inconvenient depth to the Dreamcast. (And they say you're not supposed to bend the cable, so I don't know what they were thinking making that cable so long.)
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

This looks cool! Any thoughts of doing this with a genesis/megadrive 2 mini din 9 connector? I think you'd really expand your customer base with that one. :)
Chipnetics

Post by Chipnetics »

Wow everyone is giving great feedback, I'm definitely willing to make some revisions to get the ideal solution!
nmalinoski wrote:I, too, would like to see RCA audio plugs, mainly because it's my personal preference. I do think that the RCA jacks will be able to better handle a good, heavy cable.
Yeah I probably should have went with my gut on RCA. I was mostly worried about insertion force and center of gravity. I think if I redesigned with a look w/ RCA as below everything would work out well. There would be less of a cantilever bringing the assembly closer to the system.

nmalinoski wrote:A lot of old consoles, like the NES, SNES, N64, and so on really need a low-pass filter to remove noise, whereas VGA (as in RGBHV and TTL sync) applications are typically clean enough to look good without an LPF.
The LM1881 acts as a signal cleaner according to the Texas Instrument datasheet. It does suggest a clean voltage however for best results. For that reason I have some decoupling capacitors underneath the board (not pictured above), directly opposite the LM1881 between the through pins.
nmalinoski wrote:One thing I'd really like to see is an RGBHV/RGBS mode switch (I wouldn't complain if RGsB was available, but it's really not necessary), with the RGBHV mode actually outputting RGBHV instead of RGBSV (which isn't a thing).
I can consider this if switching to the LMH1980... I was pretty proud of my design with no vias (though technically a through pin is a via); the LMH1980 will require a little more routing finesse as it is only available surface mount in a tight area =]
nmalinoski wrote:It might be nice to have a TOSLINK output in addition to analog output. It probably won't get rid of the analog noise floor, but it the digitization would be very close to the console, and it might help some users avoid audio interference versus analog audio over unshielded cables. Certainly won't help most people with VGA switches, though, since most of them only switch analog audio.
This is on the docket for a few months down the road.
nmalinoski wrote:If the SyncBaby were to be adapted for other consoles: ....
Thanks for all this, I'd like to adapt it to others if the SyncBaby has some degree of success. I only chose SNES as it was my child hood system growing up!
nmalinoski wrote:Where AV port strain is a concern, you could add a 2 to 3 inch (~6cm) dongle, just long enough so the SyncBaby can rest on a sturdy surface instead of hanging from the AV port.
Thought about this as well, but with it comes extra costs, tooling, etc. I really believe the current design alone has no long term "issue", and the new design proposed above would further improve any concerns bringing the whole assembly closer to the connector. I would however consider doing a standoff from the underside of the board to the tabletop if it didn't look too tacky. :P
Chipnetics

Post by Chipnetics »

I'm thinking this is one great looking RCA connector for the left side of the connector in the layout proposed above. Also it's about the same width as a D-sub so will have a good symmetric/balanced appearance.

nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

8bitgasm wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:Where AV port strain is a concern, you could add a 2 to 3 inch (~6cm) dongle, just long enough so the SyncBaby can rest on a sturdy surface instead of hanging from the AV port.
Thought about this as well, but with it comes extra costs, tooling, etc. I really believe the current design alone has no long term "issue", and the new design proposed above would further improve any concerns bringing the whole assembly closer to the connector. I would however consider doing a standoff from the underside of the board to the tabletop if it didn't look too tacky. :P
Thinking about this more, a dongle design could very well reduce overall costs by potentially letting you standardize on one or two board designs that could be used with pretty much any console, so long as you have the requisite adapter.

Looking at BeharBros again, just about all of the products they design have a standard 5x2 or 6x2 input header (I forget how many pins, exactly), and I know they have dongles that fit both the Dreamcast AV port and VGA cables, so you can use just about any RGBS/RGBHV source with any of their devices, so long as you have the correct dongle. For example, if I had the VGA dongle, I could use my Toro as a generic sync combiner and/or VGA to SCART converter.

If you were to apply this two-component formula to the SyncBaby, you could pick a connector to standardize on (Enough to transmit, for example: R, G, B, Sync, Left Audio, Right Audio, Digital Audio, and Common Ground), then split development between the dongle and the SyncBaby.

The dongle would be responsible for taking the outputs from the console and putting them on the correct lines that the SyncBaby expects. A custom console connector could be used that can include components, like the 220uF caps for the original PlayStation. I don't recall whether it was Retro Access or Retro Gaming Cables, but one of them was working on something like this that had a compartment to allow required components (caps, etc) to be correctly placed at the console end of the cable, as well as a lid secured with screws for easy access and modification.

Then the SyncBaby would consist of the common connector, the port breakouts, the sync stripper/combiner, and the requisite configuration switches (RGBS/RGBHV/Passthrough mode selector, mainly).

Or maybe don't do any of this; my ideas are not always simple or practical.

As for the standoff, what does it matter how tacky it looks? It's going to be behind the console, where no one will see it. Just make sure that, if you're going to develop a variant for N64s with RGB boards, maybe see if you can design it so that it won't block the Mini HDMI port if the console is also fitted with an UltraHDMI. :P
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

Couple of thoughts for you.

-I am very intrigued by this as d-sub connectors are definitely more convenient and take up a ton less space, but I have already invested hundreds of dollars in SCART cables and a fancy switcher. I suspect that is the case with many people here, so no matter how cool this is, it's going to be a bit of a battle getting people to re-invest when there will be little or no visual difference. Having said that, people who haven't already invested might be more inclined to buy.

-I don't really have anything against 3.5 mm plugs. High quality cables are plentiful and cheap and the plug locks into the jack more securely than RCA plugs do, IMO. Plus it's smaller. Ultimately, there's no real quality difference between the two provided you are using quality components, so it doesn't make a ton of difference to me. Just my two cents.

-Speaking of audio, I actually think one of the benefits of SCART is being able to run audio with the same connector and not needing a separate audio cable, particularly when using a bunch of different consoles. For example, I have like 12 systems to hook up, so I need a switcher. I can use a single switcher to switch between SCART inputs, thereby switching both video and audio with one device. Is there a switcher that does both d-sub and 3.5 mm (or RCA) at the same time? If not, would a user then need two switchers to change inputs? If two are needed... that's a little annoying.

-Regarding noise, how is the image quality with your SNES? There's an LPF option on the RGB bypass board I use on my SNES Mini, but, with it off (or with the LPF on the OSSC off), I get really horrible jailbars. On the one hand, this isn't exactly your problem, per se, since the issue is ultimately that the OSSC doesn't have an LPF on the VGA input, but, unless that can be added via an update later, it is certainly worth accounting for. Some of these consoles have really bad outputs that need some kind of LPF even with bypass kits installed.

Anyway, best of luck. It's a cool idea!
Chipnetics

Post by Chipnetics »

thebigcheese wrote:I suspect that is the case with many people here, so no matter how cool this is, it's going to be a bit of a battle getting people to re-invest when there will be little or no visual difference. Having said that, people who haven't already invested might be more inclined to buy.
Agreed, a little bit of an uphill battle. I'm hoping there is bit of an up-sell in the magic happening closer to the console, the premium caps, and saving a bit of real-estate in your cabinet. i.e. the SyncStrike (love it, btw) is a little bit bulky, pulls on cables, powered in most cases with a wall wart, and does not have any sort of voltage conditioning. Also VGA switchers and cables are far more common for one to run out and purchase on the fly - although more an appeal for a new-comer as you mention.
thebigcheese wrote:Speaking of audio, I actually think one of the benefits of SCART is being able to run audio with the same connector and not needing a separate audio cable, particularly when using a bunch of different consoles. For example, I have like 12 systems to hook up, so I need a switcher. I can use a single switcher to switch between SCART inputs, thereby switching both video and audio with one device. Is there a switcher that does both d-sub and 3.5 mm (or RCA) at the same time?
You're right this is bit of a trade-off for people who have multi-system setups. VGA/audio switchers do apparently exist.. (below by Startech)
thebigcheese wrote:Regarding noise, how is the image quality with your SNES? There's an LPF option on the RGB bypass board I use on my SNES Mini
I have the same RGB mod on my mini with a LPF; I do however have the first released version of the SNES that didn't require a RGB mod, so hopefully soon I can pop up some photos showing differences between the two.
Last edited by Chipnetics on Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

from day one i had problems with the scart cables coming loose and losing one or more color signals. I still have exactly 1 scart connector in my setup, its for the csy-2100, and even now once in a while the same thing will happen, but not nearly as often. the rest of the cables are console to vga. when i get around to it im going to add a vga connector to the csy-2100 too.

now, one thing im thinking about with your adapter, is that I might not have enough room behind the console for it and the vga cable. i have my consoles in a wall unit and its already close. others might have the same issue.
Chipnetics

Post by Chipnetics »

mvsfan wrote:from day one i had problems with the scart cables coming loose and losing one or more color signals. I still have exactly 1 scart connector in my setup, its for the csy-2100, and even now once in a while the same thing will happen, but not nearly as often. the rest of the cables are console to vga. when i get around to it im going to add a vga connector to the csy-2100 too.

now, one thing im thinking about with your adapter, is that I might not have enough room behind the console for it and the vga cable. i have my consoles in a wall unit and its already close. others might have the same issue.
I'll take measurements tonight, I feel like I'm going to do the design I scribbled above so this will save about an inch as well.

I'm guessing right now it is a 3 inch depth from the rearrest part of the console to where the VGA can safely bend.

I will need to verify the scribbled design does not clash with the power barrel connector however!
Chipnetics

Post by Chipnetics »

I had similar issues with scart cables, even ones from retrogamingcables. Plugged into the front of the xrgb the cable actually had enough weight to it to bend downwards and slowly cause color distortions. I found myself occasionally getting up to pull upwards on the cable to find a sweet spot again; only to repeat an hour later when it settles once more. Little embarrassing when you're trying to show off your killer setup to friends and family. :roll:
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

So, I just figured this one out. Is that 8bigasm, as in an 8-bit orgasm? 8)
Chipnetics

Post by Chipnetics »

NoAffinity wrote:So, I just figured this one out. Is that 8bigasm, as in an 8-bit orgasm? 8)
Ding ding ding. :idea: Or I'm sure I can make it related to something about Assembly language programming. I went for something witty and easily google-able.