S-video to OSSC

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Hoagtech

S-video to OSSC

Post by Hoagtech »

I am looking an up to date recommendation for converting S-video to RGB

I would like to know what device to Get to use S-video devices on my OSSC?

Also since it is being line doubled to 480p or greater. Would S-Video to VGA or Component be better than RGB?
Copyright 1987
DirkSwizzler

Re: S-video to OSSC

Post by DirkSwizzler »

I believe the device to look for on the horizon is the RetroTink X2. I haven't tested it myself though.

In the past I've used one of these no-name transcoders from eBay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Composite-S-Vi ... SwqVVbN-Bq

I'm pretty sure I got mine for $80. And I'm pretty sure it's locked to 480i output.

I used to use that with YPbPr output into a Garo into a gscartsw_lite to fix the sync.

With SuperG's new gscartsw with RGsB support. The Garo can be dropped.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

DirkSwizzler wrote:I believe the device to look for on the horizon is the RetroTink X2. I haven't tested it myself though.
This. The RetroTINK 2X, plus an HDMI to VGA converter, into AV3 of the OSSC.

I don't recall if there was a more-recommended converter than the Tendak one.
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

I demonstrate exactly that in this video: https://youtu.be/pdIgmQH4AHA
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

retrorgb wrote:I demonstrate exactly that in this video: https://youtu.be/pdIgmQH4AHA
And your video is precisely why I suggested it!
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

Thanks guys and great video Retro RGB.

I see that they are sold out unfortunately so I sent him an email for an order request.

I cant wait to play my 3DO Catalog on my Megaview properly.
Copyright 1987
SCARTicus

Post by SCARTicus »

Lol 3DO :lol:
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

SCARTicus wrote:Lol 3DO :lol:
The 3DO rules. It is a super tacky exotic console and feautures some good FMV games such as star control 2.

Also the CD audio sounds loud and clear on a surround system. The version of Super Street Fighter 2 is the best because of the Audio and added background animations.

Cannon Fodder is super fun and somehow plays great on a D pad controller.

The system is CD media with no Copy protection so making backups of your collection can be done with a CD burner.

Lucienns quest is a short mundane turn based JRPG that I really enjoy playing with a hangover.

Gex is a kinda fun platformer and features CD audio.

The DOOM on 3do has a bordered windows and runs choppier than the 32X and the Jaguar but has a CD audio Heavy Metal soundtrack that kicks fuckin ass and makes your choppy game play feel hard core because of it.

And the version of Out if this World has updated Visuals and the CD audio ambient noises and sound effects.

Also its FIFA and Madden are great if you like those games.

WIth the Retrotink 2x,hopefully coming on backorder. I will be able to play these games with scan-lines in 240P Svideo through the OSSC on my Mitsubishi Megaview 37" CRT monitor with no borders.

I'm stoked at least.
Copyright 1987
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

I'm working to make 3DO RGB mods a thing for everyone too, though to be fair they will cost you probably more than a RetroTINK when you factor everything in (unless you DIY of course).
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

BuckoA51 wrote:I'm working to make 3DO RGB mods a thing for everyone too, though to be fair they will cost you probably more than a RetroTINK when you factor everything in (unless you DIY of course).
I was super sad when Citrus3000PSI stopped working on his. I also plan to hook up my RetroTINK 2X as a means of integrating the 3DO into my chain. My current setup *works*, but it's clunky.
James-F

Post by James-F »

I would like to see a more comprehensive review of the RetroTINK 2x, since RetroRGB showed a few seconds here and there of actual footage.
Also RetroRGB used the Optimized 5x mode for the OSSC footage which doesn't look very good since small noise is treated like a complete pixel, Generic 5x would be much better for upscaling the RetroTINK2x through the OSSC.

My main use of it will be the NES since I don't want to mod my consoles and keep them stock, so the retrotink2x will go along with my ossc.
If someone can make a review of the RetroTINK 2x with more Composite captures direct and through the OSSC, I will be very grateful.

BTW, the ADV7280 decoder on the RetroTINK2x has TONS of features that the user can't control:
http://www.analog.com/media/en/technica ... UG-637.pdf

The RetroTINK2x could have been as comprehensive as the OSSC in terms of user adjustability, but Mike chose not to overcomplicate it, and keep all the decoding settings at default.
Bahn Yuki

Post by Bahn Yuki »

Hoagtech wrote:
SCARTicus wrote:Lol 3DO :lol:
The 3DO rules. It is a super tacky exotic console and feautures some good FMV games such as star control 2.

Also the CD audio sounds loud and clear on a surround system. The version of Super Street Fighter 2 is the best because of the Audio and added background animations.

Cannon Fodder is super fun and somehow plays great on a D pad controller.

The system is CD media with no Copy protection so making backups of your collection can be done with a CD burner.

Lucienns quest is a short mundane turn based JRPG that I really enjoy playing with a hangover.

Gex is a kinda fun platformer and features CD audio.

The DOOM on 3do has a bordered windows and runs choppier than the 32X and the Jaguar but has a CD audio Heavy Metal soundtrack that kicks fuckin ass and makes your choppy game play feel hard core because of it.

And the version of Out if this World has updated Visuals and the CD audio ambient noises and sound effects.

Also its FIFA and Madden are great if you like those games.

WIth the Retrotink 2x,hopefully coming on backorder. I will be able to play these games with scan-lines in 240P Svideo through the OSSC on my Mitsubishi Megaview 37" CRT monitor with no borders.

I'm stoked at least.
Interestingly enough I use my 3DO with s-video on my OSSC without any special hardware. There's a simple trick that works pretty well. Basically you use the S-Video on the mechanical Banridge SCART switcher and you turn on another console that uses SCART on say AV2. Then you switch back to the S-Video input(AV1) and it works fine.

I've tried this with Gamecube and it doesn't seem to work, but with my FZ-10 3DO it's pretty simple. Give it a shot if you have the hardware.
Displays I currently own:
LG 83C1(OLED),LG 77C2(OLED), LG 42C2(OLED),TCL 75R635(MiniLED),Apple Studio Monitor 21(PCCRT),SONY 34XBR960x2(HDCRT)
SONY 32XBR250,Samsung UBJ590(LED),Panasonic P50VT20(Plasma),JVC NZ8
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Bahn Yuki wrote:Interestingly enough I use my 3DO with s-video on my OSSC without any special hardware. There's a simple trick that works pretty well. Basically you use the S-Video on the mechanical Banridge SCART switcher and you turn on another console that uses SCART on say AV2. Then you switch back to the S-Video input(AV1) and it works fine.
That's weird. My understanding was that the OSSC is incapable of decoding chroma, and I can't imagine that a passive SCART switch is decoding YC to RGB. How does your setup actually work? Does the OSSC actually accept chroma on red?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

That's weird. My understanding was that the OSSC is incapable of decoding chroma, and I can't imagine that a passive SCART switch is decoding YC to RGB.
this exactly.

Of course you might get a picture using this method (and so you do by just adapting s-video to scart), since the Luma channels works as sync and the chroma channel uses one of the RGB channels, but how this can result in proper colors is beyond me (but to be clear: I haven't tried this).
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

if the OSSC has a secret s video over scart feature that would be a pretty big deal
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

I just watched Bahn Yuki's video on the Samsung 55Q8FN, where he briefly shows the SCART switch with an S-Video lead going in the front and says:
Bahn Yuki wrote:I've had some issues with the 3DO S-Video trick that I use on the Bandridge switch. Basically, you can hook up S-Video to the Bandridge switch, and you basically get sync from another console while it's on, and then it starts working through S-Video--the OSSC. For some reason, this TV does get an image, but it's all in red; so if anyone knows how to fix that, just give me a holler and I'll take a look at it myself.
In the SCART spec, S-Video's chroma and RGB's Red share the same line; so, if the OSSC is set to AV1-YPbPr, then luma will provide the black-and-white image, and all of the color data will be on red. There's probably some level of green to the image, since G is derived from the difference between Pb/Pr and Y, but there will be no blue.

I still don't understand how this is supposed to work, but I can at least try it when I get home; I just need to unpack a CrossPoint and an S-Video to BNC adapter.
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

I apparently owned a 480i only 3DO model that that didnt have the correct chip for toggle support.

The weird part is I could force a 240p image from my Sony CRT only model wega kd-34xbr960 by hitting the "progressive" switch.

I can either assume the set had a nice de-interlacer built into it but it didn't seem like. It almost seemed like 3DO outputs a progressive video mode that my Sony somehow recognized and supported.

I have tried plugging my 3dO into my Banbridge and was not able to get a picture through OSSC.

I have been requesting retrotink from the owner but it may be a bit longer wait.
Copyright 1987