NEC XM/XP 29/37 Pro/Xtra Thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
NightSprinter

Re: NEC XM/XP 29/37 Pro/Xtra Thread

Post by NightSprinter »

This is going to sound dumb, but given that the XM29 Plus can't do the HSync ranges between 15.75 and 31.5KHz, what linedoubler would be recommended for piping output of a 286 computer with EGA (via an Extron RGB202 Plus, which I can confirm outputs RGBI piped to it as analog RGBHV) graphics?
Fanatik

Post by Fanatik »

I just purchased two NEC Xp29's. Would the XM29 service manual apply to the XP29?
svensonson

Post by svensonson »

Fanatik wrote:I just purchased two NEC Xp29's. Would the XM29 service manual apply to the XP29?
Nope, it will not.
aaronmjr

Post by aaronmjr »

I got my PG-2740 Service Manual back from Phil a while ago, so he should have a scanned copy for everyone now! How's everyone's XM adventures going?
Tapeworm

Post by Tapeworm »

I recently acquired an XM29+. Are there any geometry settings aside from what is in the main vertical/horizontal menus? I’m having some issues with the corners...they all seem to want to be doing their own thing.
NightSprinter

Post by NightSprinter »

Tapeworm wrote:I recently acquired an XM29+. Are there any geometry settings aside from what is in the main vertical/horizontal menus? I’m having some issues with the corners...they all seem to want to be doing their own thing.
Am wondering the same myself. It is somewhat distracting when playing games on console, or my GroovyMAME box.
Hieroneus

Post by Hieroneus »

I got a NEC XM29 plus recently too. Image is beautiful, but geometry is a bit meh. I have a scuff in the glass, i saw in the manual that it has some coats, someone knows about it?. Thank you!
Tapeworm

Post by Tapeworm »

How do these handle non-shielded speakers? I have a pair of Paradigm Mini Monitors I want to put about 3.5 feet from each side.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

NightSprinter wrote:
Tapeworm wrote:I recently acquired an XM29+. Are there any geometry settings aside from what is in the main vertical/horizontal menus? I’m having some issues with the corners...they all seem to want to be doing their own thing.
Am wondering the same myself. It is somewhat distracting when playing games on console, or my GroovyMAME box.
Chances are the convergence magnets on the back of the tube have lost some flux over the past 20 years.
I bet putting a smaller magnet ontop of the current convergence magnets fixes your corner issues.
aaronmjr

Post by aaronmjr »

Tapeworm wrote:How do these handle non-shielded speakers? I have a pair of Paradigm Mini Monitors I want to put about 3.5 feet from each side.
I had some paradigm atoms on top of mine and I need to degauss now. They're about 12 inches away now and no problems.
xga

Post by xga »

Hieroneus wrote:I got a NEC XM29 plus recently too. Image is beautiful, but geometry is a bit meh. I have a scuff in the glass, i saw in the manual that it has some coats, someone knows about it?. Thank you!
I've successfully removed scuffs from a XM29 Plus (XM-2960) before. I used Novus 2 with an orbital polisher using felt pads. There's a few good guides on arcade otaku for removing scuffs and scratches.

It takes a while to do as you have to remove the anti-glare coat from the whole screen, otherwise if you only do the section with the scuffs, then the remaining anti-glare coat will make the screen look very uneven. It's a messy job and something you want to do outside if you can. Mask off as much as you can of the monitor to stop the Novus compound from going everywhere.

I have a few photos that I can dig up if you require.

Good luck!
Hieroneus

Post by Hieroneus »

Thank you, can you send me the photos please?
When you talk about coats, are a plastic, crystal, tube directly?
KatKya

Post by KatKya »

Hoagtech wrote:I was stuck on the horizontal Width issue on my Mitsubishi XC3725C from a similar era as the xm29.

I was able to fix this issue because XGA from shmups hit me up and showed me the service manual where "service switch" was located.

I was finally able to adjust the margins to true full screen by adjusting the SUB width. Does anyone have a service manual for the xm29? I would be happy to check for you guys.

Here's my switch location. It was bitch (16 screws)

I've seen a similar switch inside my XC-3730c, but was never sure what it was actually for, and it is sadly a model where a service manual sadly just doesn't seem to exist for it.

Is there a certain direction or process you're supposed to do to make use of the service mode, or ???

I've actually been planning on (attempting) a recap on it in the near future, and any additional information I can get on the model, the better.
xga

Post by xga »

Hieroneus wrote:Thank you, can you send me the photos please?
I imagine the coat was sprayed directly onto the face of the tube back in the factory. The NEC XM's are not like some of the Sony BVM's and PVM's that have a plastic film that can be peeled off.

Annoying scuff marks on tube

Rotary polisher with felt pad and Novus 2

Coating being removed

Almost there!

Finished

Scuff marks were very visible in use, now completely gone along with the anti-glare coating

xga

Post by xga »

KatKya wrote:
Hoagtech wrote:I was stuck on the horizontal Width issue on my Mitsubishi XC3725C from a similar era as the xm29.

I was able to fix this issue because XGA from shmups hit me up and showed me the service manual where "service switch" was located.

I was finally able to adjust the margins to true full screen by adjusting the SUB width. Does anyone have a service manual for the xm29? I would be happy to check for you guys.

Here's my switch location. It was bitch (16 screws)

I've seen a similar switch inside my XC-3730c, but was never sure what it was actually for, and it is sadly a model where a service manual sadly just doesn't seem to exist for it.

Is there a certain direction or process you're supposed to do to make use of the service mode, or ???

I've actually been planning on (attempting) a recap on it in the near future, and any additional information I can get on the model, the better.
From memory, the switch centred is for normal use. Moving the switch to the left or right will allow you to adjust different options from the service mode, however nothing is displayed with the OSD, so you need to know what you are doing. I *think* I have some notes somewhere for the XC-3730C. Perhaps we need to create a thread for the Mitsubishi XC and AM range, rather than hijacking the NEC thread though?
Hieroneus

Post by Hieroneus »

xga wrote:
I imagine the coat was sprayed directly onto the face of the tube back in the factory. The NEC XM's are not like some of the Sony BVM's and PVM's that have a plastic film that can be peeled off.

Coating being removed

Almost there!

Finished

Scuff marks were very visible in use, now completely gone along with the anti-glare coating

Thank you, how much time do you need to remove the coat? With hand is impossible, isnt it?
If only is a soft scuff, could go away with a little of novus?
Tapeworm

Post by Tapeworm »

That buffed screen looks great! But scrolling through those pics pictures gave me anxiety.
aaronmjr

Post by aaronmjr »

Interesting to see that the signature NEC XM purplish tube sheen is actually the anti-glare coating!
xga

Post by xga »

Hieroneus wrote:
xga wrote:

Thank you, how much time do you need to remove the coat? With hand is impossible, isnt it?
If only is a soft scuff, could go away with a little of novus?
That probably took me a full hour with the rotary polisher. I imagine it could be done by hand, but it would take hours and hours and you'd be pretty tired by the end of it.

Any sort of abrasive (like Novus) will start the process of removing the coat. If you think it's only a minor scuff, you could try with a (clean) microfiber cloth and some distilled water to see if that removes it, but I don't like your chances.

Have a look at some of the guides on Arcade Otaku for more info.
xga

Post by xga »

Tapeworm wrote:That buffed screen looks great! But scrolling through those pics pictures gave me anxiety.
Yeah, it took me a bit of courage to do it. I did a lot of research first, made sure I had the right tools and took my time when I did it.
xga

Post by xga »

aaronmjr wrote:Interesting to see that the signature NEC XM purplish tube sheen is actually the anti-glare coating!
I had to remove a scratch (not a scuff) from a NEC XP37. Funnily enough, I only had to focus on the problem area as if there was an anti-glare coating, it was clear / see through with no purple tint like the 29" models.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

seems like removing the coating outright would only be worthwhile if it was badly scuffed, just one or two small imperfections would probably be an acceptable trade off for keeping the glare reduction
KatKya

Post by KatKya »

xga wrote:
From memory, the switch centred is for normal use. Moving the switch to the left or right will allow you to adjust different options from the service mode, however nothing is displayed with the OSD, so you need to know what you are doing. I *think* I have some notes somewhere for the XC-3730C. Perhaps we need to create a thread for the Mitsubishi XC and AM range, rather than hijacking the NEC thread though?
I'd be totally down for that. Where information for the NEC sets seems relatively simple to find, the Mitsubishi stuff takes a lot more digging to find and get a hold of, if you can find it at all.
Hieroneus

Post by Hieroneus »

Someone have opened a nec? I tried to check if that thing uses one or two crystals, but i couldnt.
NightSprinter

Post by NightSprinter »

Pretty sure I asked already, but is it possible at all to fix dead speakers and the external speaker sockets (the ones that look like you'd hook up units from a stereo system to)? I just think it'd be nice to have proper audio from the display.
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

KatKya wrote:
xga wrote:
I'd be totally down for that. Where information for the NEC sets seems relatively simple to find, the Mitsubishi stuff takes a lot more digging to find and get a hold of, if you can find it at all.
I sent you a PM about the service switch. I did not want to hinack this thread.

I think it is time to start a Mitsubishi thread.
Copyright 1987
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

xga wrote:

Coating being removed

Almost there!

Finished

How bad did the reflections get after you removed the AG coating? Did the picture seemed to get more vibrant?
xga

Post by xga »

tacoguy64 wrote:
How bad did the reflections get after you removed the AG coating? Did the picture seemed to get more vibrant?
I use it in a dimly lit room, but haven't noticed any difference with reflections. Yes, the image looked brighter once the AG coating was removed.
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

xga wrote:
tacoguy64 wrote:
I use it in a dimly lit room, but haven't noticed any difference with reflections. Yes, the image looked brighter once the AG coating was removed.

Would love to see more in game screen shots if you dont mind.
drauch

Post by drauch »

What y'all think an XM29+ is worth? Good condition, no remote/manual. I'd post in "What's it worth" but I don't think many check that.

I love it dearly but I'm not using it and running out of room (hoarder mentality), and I'd rather see it in the hands of someone who's going to love it equally. I don't want to stiff anyone, and likewise, don't want to just give it away.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla