Bloodstained RotN : Kouji IGA's new "Castlevania" game.

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Ed Oscuro

Re: Bloodstained RotN : Kouji IGA's new "Castlevania" game.

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Disregard paper, get bat smashing. Cheers BIL, I never knew that I had such a gem on my hands (I too 'only' have the PSOne Books release). Objectively correct post on HoD too.

I saw Bloodstained on Steam this week while looking at Saliens (I have returned from the kusoge desert), and while it's not on sale, its looks alone had me interested.
Marc

Post by Marc »

I'm surprised to say now I've had a proper go, I quite like this. Despite my aversion to it's NES-style aesthetics, the gameplay has been modernised just enough to appeal to me. Up to the fifth stage so far, and the only real surprise is how forgiving the bosses have been, I'm guessing the original Castlevania was a lot less so this respect? The branching paths are very welcome and already have me looking forward to another playthough, and I'm impressed with how they've managed to make each character genuinely useful, though I can imagine a run with knife man only being quite demanding. Good stuff, looking forward to getting back at it later.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Sumez wrote:The talk was entirely about the presentation of the game, as no one at this time has any idea if the game will be an improvement over the isssues SOTN did have. But what is clear from the demonstration was that the game looked cheap and unimpressive, which was the subject I was commenting on.
I'm not a fan of bringing this subject back up, but I can't help it. I finally caved in and checked out some recent footage from the game via this trailer that just dropped: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKlR0SEmIoI

And it's actually much, much worse than I imagined. It looks like Dink Smallwood :S

Can you guess which one is Bloodstained? Neither can I

At least, it's curious to see that the emperor guy is apparently a part of ROTN, too.
ryu

Post by ryu »

oh god. and all we needed was for inti to make a low res 2d game for 3ds
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Bratwurst

Post by Bratwurst »

I've barely paid attention to Bloodstained's campaign until now thanks to this thread, this is looking to be another pinch of Mighty No. 9. The graphics are too clean and glossy, very cheap. It's disconcerting to see so much blind praise in the comments for that trailer too. Feels like a lot of people are in denial because they don't want to admit they made a bad investment.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

I dunno, the original Bloodstained looks fine graphically, and yet some people were complaining about its NES style graphics. The style seen here is definitely different than most games, but it's probably better in motion - and the store pages show some more varied environments (although they seemed to show a lot of those connecting type rooms which are small, and I'd like to see how big the areas get).

Personally I'm always a fan of something looking new and interesting; if you wanted something with more traditional high res graphics maybe you could check out ACE Team's Abyss Odyssey? The tradeoff is that it's got randomized stages.

Also, what's wrong with Dink Smallwood? :mrgreen:
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Dink Smallwood is a perfect game.
I just didn't expect Bloodstained to look like it :P
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

I agree this looks like shit and have thought so since the Kickstarter. With all the talk of 2.5D vs sprites I just don't see why they aren't able to do better 2.5D. Does IGA just have a shit bunch of artists?

Regardless, we're a far patch away from Mighty No. 9 unless the gameplay ends up not there either. And I doubt that will happen. The overall package wasn't worth backing from the outset, but Igarashi knows this gamestyle too well to fuck up the basic design.
Austin

Post by Austin »

I checked out the trailer and I think it looks fine. The gameplay looks like your typical DS-vania, so I'm not really sure where this supposed "denial" is coming from. It's pretty much exactly what I expected.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

You wouldn't honestly have expected (vastly) better visuals at the time the Kickstarter was being pitched?
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Austin wrote:I checked out the trailer and I think it looks fine. The gameplay looks like your typical DS-vania, so I'm not really sure where this supposed "denial" is coming from.
Denial? It looks like garbage. I'm not trying to deny anything, I'm just using my eyes.
Like, I'm still looking forward to the game, and I think there's a good chance it's gonna be fun, but by now I guess it's obvious the devs don't know how to give it a solid visual presentation. Kind of makes me wish they'd skip those cinematics altogether.
Austin

Post by Austin »

bigbadboaz wrote:You wouldn't honestly have expected (vastly) better visuals at the time the Kickstarter was being pitched?
Uh, no.. Seemingly unlike others (apparently), I kept my expectations in check.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Fair enough, but the whole premise of the Kickstarter was satisfying fans' expectations. This was the Metroidvania figurehead making the successor to SotN, with exactly the funding he felt was necessary (and then some, in the end).

Judgment of the final product shouldn't require checked expectations.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

it's not that they raked money advertising 2D, then in the third update or something announced they had switched to 2.5D. They were honest about that since the beginning: 2.5D, Unreal Engine etc.

So visually speaking the only game this is supposed to be a successor of is PSP Dracula X Chronicles, the Rondo remake.

60k backers can't have been all hypnotized into believing something else.
I just don't see why they aren't able to do better 2.5D. Does IGA just have a shit bunch of artists?
Unfortunately there is not much 2.5D out there to really draw a comparison. I'd say that the Rondo remake looks better in my eyes, but it could be just my fetish for low-poly graphics.
X - P - B
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I don't have a (big) issue with 2.5D or Unreal Engine. In fact the technical side is cool, and I like the way the main character looks, with the semi-cel shading effect. The problem is mostly in the art direction and animtions. It just looks beyond cheap and awkward.

Hell, I didn't even expect the game to look particularly good. I probably expected something around Mighty no. 9. I gotta admit I didn't expect it to look like crap, though. Not with funding like that. And not when tiny team indie products consistently manage to make something that looks better.
Austin

Post by Austin »

bigbadboaz wrote:Fair enough, but the whole premise of the Kickstarter was satisfying fans' expectations. This was the Metroidvania figurehead making the successor to SotN, with exactly the funding he felt was necessary (and then some, in the end).

Judgment of the final product shouldn't require checked expectations.
I think this is part of the problem here, people expecting a true follow-up to Symphony of the Night. I never once got that idea when backing the Kickstarter and I essentially read it as, "Hey, we're making another MetroidVania, some of the familiar crew will be involved, so you know it'll probably be decent at the very least." If we get a SOTN-caliber game, then great. If we get another Portait of Ruin instead, well fuck me.. Whatever, I'll probably still enjoy it.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I mean, I never expected a new Symphony of the Night in the truest sense, but don't go telling me that they didn't go 100% in on drawing on the SOTN familiarity. The entire viral campaign preceeding the Kickstarter was designed around presenting Iga like Dracula on his trone in the SOTN intro.

The game is called Ritual of the Night for christ's sake. That is "The Last Story" and "Evil Within" over again, but even more on the nose.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Sumez wrote:I mean, I never expected a new Symphony of the Night in the truest sense, but don't go telling me that they didn't go 100% in on drawing on the SOTN familiarity. The entire viral campaign preceeding the Kickstarter was designed around presenting Iga like Dracula on his trone in the SOTN intro.

The game is called Ritual of the Night for christ's sake. That is "The Last Story" and "Evil Within" over again, but even more on the nose.
While there were obvious callbacks to SOTN in the Kickstarter video, such as the throne scene or even in the games name, it wasn't touted specifically as a SOTN spiritual-successor or anything of the sort. Iga specifically states in the video, "My passion is for this project to have the depth and complexity my works are known for," clearly addressing not the one thing he is probably best known for, but many things. When the characters were briefly introduced, they were clearly a callback to the style of some of the DS-vanias, and even the intro to the pitch featured a nod to the opening for Super Castlevania IV. You may have seen it as 100% SOTN, and that's fine, but these are some reasons why I didn't see it the same.

It's interesting talking about this now, all these years later. I watched the Kickstarter video again and it was neat to see the original 2D visual style they pitched. They don't look very refined, but it would have been interesting to see how that would have evolved had they stuck with it. Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWrD0QMZc_s
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

it may seem that Sumez, bigbadboaz and who's expressing concern over the visual presentation of the game is being overly critical... However, I'd like to see it from another perspective: they're standing on relatively solid ground to have visual presentation concerns. Which is a good thing. Let's be honest guys: to have a metroidvania these days is rare. To get one that manages to be enjoyed even by hardcore action gaming fans... is harder yet.

These guys have been involved in the genre since the early days, true, still, we have no guarantee whatsoever than the game can turn out exciting to play, well balanced in difficulty, with plenty of exploration and stuff to wonder at. As positive as I've been about the campaign, my stance on the graphics has been since the beginning that they had to be the last concern for all of us. If they pull out on all the other fronts, I'll accept graphics twice as dull as what we're being given. I know it sounds paradoxal since a lot of SotN's mood rely on ambient backgrounds, but after all isn't this the same trade-off we had in the past years, when as many have said, no sequel could match the original on feel and environment, but arguably most of them had surpassed it in terms of overall challenge and bossfights design?

That's what's at the stake here. Have it cleverly designed as the best parts of PoR or Ecclesia, and you'll forgive the graphics (you'll adjust your eyes to them, so to speak). Have it a dull magical castle vacation stroll where you soon become a demigoddes of unbalanced weapons, and bosses stay still to receive damage, and I can assure not even having Caravaggio doing the backgrounds would help.

... and let's not forget that audio visual presentation is made also of sound. And with Yamane on board, we secured 50% of the overall excellence since day one.
X - P - B
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Turrican wrote:Let's be honest guys: to have a metroidvania these days is rare.
Literally every single indie platformer coming out these days is a Metroidvania.

Listen, I'm not talking about wether the horrible graphics are "forgivable" or wether they'll detract from the rest of the game. I'm just talking about the graphics, and the general look and presentation of the game. I've said over and over again, that it doesn't mean the game can't be good. But I'm also saying there is no reason this aspect should be that bad, especially with a funding of over 5.5 million dollars. There is no need to apologize for it.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

okay, point taken, you're just talking about the graphics. That's fair. But the problem remains: they are basically pioneering the use of these assets and engine on such a genre. To the point that we basically have no comparison to make. Except the Rondo remake, all the other instances of 2.5D implementations that I can think of are both 1) non-gothic in theme 2) non-realistic in style. Mighty no9, Megaman 11, Strider... And even going back to Klonoa, Tomba etc... You name it.

So we have not much to compare to. And without that, argument falls flat on personal perference: in my opinion this village is dull, I think this bush is non rendered well and so on.

At least, for the sake of discussing the graphics alone, you'll agree that not everything we've seen so far is on the abysmal level of that village pic you posted. Which again, is probably victim of an effect that was already noticeable in 2D times: villages and caves in vanias have always suffered in comparison to libraries, dining halls, and clockwork towers.
X - P - B
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

By the way, I think some of you are motivated enough to register (I know, it's a hassle) and join the discussion here:

http://bloodstainedfanforums.com/thread ... -downgrade

the community is quite lively. They are expressing opinions, concerns and tips to change / improve things even this late in the development cycle. Could not hurt to be vocal there, also. :)
X - P - B
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

That thread is really interesting Turrican, thanks for that.
It's clear that the game became progressively worse-looking over time, the earlier demos look better (that would explain why I liked the early stuff, and don't like several aspects of the newest demo).

This mean that the game CAN look better in the circumstances, with a better artistic vision.

In chronological order :

-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

You're welcome. middle pic hit probably the sweet spot, so they're waiting some "official" answer about the change... if they wanted to ensure low-level PCs to handle the beta, or what else. Anyway, they hope it can be reverted to the previous look.
X - P - B
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Turrican wrote:..they are basically pioneering the use of these assets and engine on such a genre. To the point that we basically have no comparison to make.
I don't really understand this point. I mean, are you really saying there's no way someone can set out to do the first work of its type and have a good result? The world is full of debut successes; it's the only way something unheard of becomes established in many cases.

Beyond that, we're still talking about a team with lots of video-game experience.. taking whichever portion of that experience involves polygonal graphics, 3D engines etc. and making a slight sidestep into a 2.5D free-roaming environment shouldn't necessitate a completely amateurish end product.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Turrican wrote:So visually speaking the only game this is supposed to be a successor of is PSP Dracula X Chronicles, the Rondo remake.
Well that's fucking depressing.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Axelay

Post by Axelay »

As soon as the game was billed as 2.5 I knew it was never going to look as nice as the ds games or sotn.
As long as it plays well . Has good tight mechanics and great sound I'm fine .

Yeah there are loads of metroidvanias but the majority of them are shit.

So regardless of some of the Derpy shots of the backgrounds I'm in.
Oh and I backed
Arms installation complete Good luck
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

bigbadboaz wrote:I don't really understand this point. I mean, are you really saying there's no way someone can set out to do the first work of its type and have a good result? The world is full of debut successes; it's the only way something unheard of becomes established in many cases.
No, I wasn't going to be that extreme. What I meant is: there is really little to compare it with, so in a sense, even if we see it as amateurish, and we can see its glaring flaws, we cannot say "I wish it could look as cool as..." because the few examples we have (take Ultimate GnG) are more cartoonish in style.
bigbadboaz wrote:Beyond that, we're still talking about a team with lots of video-game experience.. taking whichever portion of that experience involves polygonal graphics, 3D engines etc. and making a slight sidestep into a 2.5D free-roaming environment shouldn't necessitate a completely amateurish end product.
At this point it's fair to say that whichever guys Iga was able to take on board (Curry the Kid etc) were from the program department, not from the art department. The artistic visual side had to be conceived from scratch, and if you look at Deco and Artplay history, you see there is little pedigree on this account.
We have Michiru Yamane, Ayami Kojima, even Yoshitaka Amano lending their talents to the project, not to mention the very talented Mana Ikeda and Yuji Natsume. I suspect however that some of us would have traded a couple of famous names for more competent CG backround renderers.

There's a good part in this story, though: if they nail the core gameplay and the game is a success, beefing up the art department in a future sequel might be a relatively easy task.
X - P - B
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Turrican wrote:they are basically pioneering the use of these assets and engine on such a genre. To the point that we basically have no comparison to make. Except the Rondo remake, all the other instances of 2.5D implementations that I can think of are both 1) non-gothic in theme 2) non-realistic in style.
Come on. I like you, and appreciate your approach, but right now it sounds like you are just intentionally excluding every possible base of comparison just to excuse the look. "Yeah, but we've never played any other games starting with B featuring a protagonist with stained glass embedded into her skin, so for all I know this looks amazing".

No matter how you twist and turn it, it doesn't change the fact that the game looks like garbage. And it's not just that single screenshot I pulled out (which is a bad example, I admit), but pretty much the entirety of that trailer.

Let's go through it together:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKlR0SEmIoI

0:08: Ominuous red skies. Not a technological or graphical marvel or anything, but that isn't my focus here, and this sets the style well. So far so good.
0:13: A village, probably the same from that screenshot. This looks very cheap and plastic'y, but I think it's fine for what it is. Though already here we can tell that we are far from the incredible splendor of SotN's rich backgrounds
0:17: Wtf is this? Some crudely animated grey slime creature moving strangely and feeling completely unconnected from the backgrounds. The lack of casting shadows doesn't help, and neither does the terrible camera handling
0:22: This statue looks good I guess
0:24: Looks like the village from before, but with even less details. Did they just accidentally drop some prefabs into the trailer and thought it was a complete scene?
0:26: Oops, here goes the shading, too. And is the ground rendered in Bryce3D? Why do rocks on the ground come across like indistinguishable blobs?
0:30: Some more creatures. The shader is nice, but everything is absurdly low-poly. This makes sense for something that's rendered real-time in a zoomed out game like this, but they really shouldn't show them up close!
0:34: Another two backgrounds that look completely unfinished. I really hope thay are unfinished, but then why feature them in a trailer? Surely they've had the time to finish at least a couple of backgrounds at this point.
0:38: A battle scene? Terribly low res particle effects, Miriam's model superimposed onto a crazy zoomed in blurry texture that looks like nothing discernible. Once again proves that these models should never be zoomed in like this.
0:40: These gameplay scenes actually looks decent. I'm assuming they are taken from the demo. I gave my code to a friend because I don't have Steam.
0:47: Big booby sea harpy is way too big for her lack of polygons. Also, what are those textures? A random smear of colors created in 10 seconds in Paint?
0:50: Oh no, backer portraits! I guess it's unavoidable when they helped fund this beauty. Did they forget to put something behind the pillars, or is it supposed to be a grey abyss?
0:53: This village again. It gets worse every time I look at it. Seriously, what is that big grey poo growing around the building supposed to be?!
0:55: Another scene where they forgot the backgrounds entirely. The ground torch which doesn't even look like it's attached to the ground is impossible to ignore.
0:56: I kind of like the style of the background here, I just wish everything didn't look like plastic. If it's supposed to be a callback to the 3D intro cinematic of SOTN, that was a bad call.
0:58: This might be the best looking room in the trailer despite its simplicity. It doesn't try to add too much depth, and the angel statues actually have proper shading.
1:02: Uh-oh, this is where it gets really bad. Don't zoom in on the feet walking on the ground when you can't time the animation to avoid making it look like they glide across the floor! And David Hayter is really half-ass'ing it.
1:13: I really hope this is just for the trailer... You should never have voice acting in an animated scene if the voices don't actually fit the action. It's just dubbed over the characters standing there, as the camera continues to help make everything else look fake, and zoom into 3D models that still shouldn't be shown in this amount of "detail".

Turrican wrote:Which again, is probably victim of an effect that was already noticeable in 2D times: villages and caves in vanias have always suffered in comparison to libraries, dining halls, and clockwork towers.
Huh
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

Austin wrote: While there were obvious callbacks to SOTN in the Kickstarter video, such as the throne scene or even in the games name, it wasn't touted specifically as a SOTN spiritual-successor or anything of the sort. Iga specifically states in the video, "My passion is for this project to have the depth and complexity my works are known for,"
Let's be honest here, Koji Igarashi is to Castlevania what Keiji Inafune is to Mega Man. He might not had been creator of Castlevania, but he is surely not above using the recognition and association with the brand to push his career. When was the last time anyone seriously cared about his work outside that series? The only game he actually directed was an unlocalized JRPG on the PS1 that nobody has even bothered to fan-translate and he's only credited as producer in the GBA and DS entries. It's even worse in his case, because at least Inafking actually had some involvement with the original Famicom Rockman, whereas IGA's first Castlevania project was working as assistant director in Symphony of the Night. The only thing that IGA has going for him is that he doesn't have as much of an ego (then again, he was never really put in a considerable position of power).