Darius Cozmic Collection [Switch, PS4]

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Mero

Darius Cozmic Collection [Switch, PS4]

Post by Mero »

https://gematsu.com/2018/07/darius-cozm ... for-switch

No G Darius

Darius (Arcade)
Darius II (Arade)
Sagaia (Arcade)
Darius Gaiden (Arcade)
Darius Twin (Super Famicom) – special edition-only
Darius Force (Super Famicom) – special edition-only
Sagaia (Sega Master System) – special edition-only
Darius II (Mega Drive) – special edition-only
Darius Alpha (PC Engine) – special edition-only

Out 28th February 2019

Now coming to PS4 via Limited Run
Last edited by Mero on Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marc

Re: Darius Cozmic Collection for Switch

Post by Marc »

At around £115.00 for the special edition, they can keep it.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Black Sam

Post by Black Sam »

As much as I would like this, the price is really offputting.
DoomsDave

Post by DoomsDave »

Yeah same. The special edition sounds really nice but that price is stupid.
FRO

Post by FRO »

Yeah, the pricing on the special edition is pretty exorbitant. As much as I would love having access to ports of those console games on my Switch, that's a pretty big pill to swallow, and a huge jump from the standard price.
Mero

Post by Mero »

Yeah, 3 times as much.

E: more than 3 times, in fact.
qmish

Post by qmish »

Dear Taito, please release artbook separately so I can buy it.

And please rerelease Zuntata concert dvds so we, mere mortals, can also buy it.

Thanks
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Yikes, all those games and they pick Darius Twin over G-Darius? What are they thinking? Who on earth actually wants to play Darius Alpha? Only collectors care about that cash-grab.
qmish

Post by qmish »

Who on earth actually wants to play Darius Alpha
Those who want boss rush?
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Yeah, I guess if boss-rushing the least interesting bosses of the series gets your juices flowing...

Darius Gaiden Extra, I can understand in a weird, twisted, masochistic way. If you are hyped up about boss-rushing Darius 1/Super Darius, that's like saying you are hyped up about boss-rushing Xevious. :|
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

What is different in the Sagaia version of Darius II and why is it being treated as a seperate game?
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

The Western arcade version of Darius 2 is like some sort of (relatively) easier arrange mode. All of the bosses have much less health and go down faster and the mid-bosses are no longer there (aside from the final stage), so the game as a whole is easier.
It also changes the stage order and the overall amount of stages in the game. You don't start on the surface of the sun anymore for example, but on a Earth level.
And you only get to choose a stage on a branching path every two stages, so the number of stages overall is lower. Here's what the map looks like now :
As you can see, it only has four final zones, but the upside is that each has a unique boss. All three from Darius 2 as well as a beefed up version of the boss you would fight in Alloy Lantern's second phase. (The actual Alloy Lantern only has one phase in this game, as you don't get inside it)
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

thanks for the info. A couple youtube videos use both titles, but are of the JP version.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

I played arcade Sagaia in the early 90s (UK) and it definitely started on the sun stage (I sucked, it was 50p a credit but still managed to clear that first stage), so maybe it was just the US that got that arranged version?
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Exclusion of G-Darius is really baffling. Could've just as well included that + Ver.2. Unless they're planning on a Darius Cozmic Collection 2 somewhere down the line...but it's not like there's much left in the Darius franchise to fill that cartridge after this.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
FRO

Post by FRO »

Ghegs wrote:Exclusion of G-Darius is really baffling. Could've just as well included that + Ver.2. Unless they're planning on a Darius Cozmic Collection 2 somewhere down the line...but it's not like there's much left in the Darius franchise to fill that cartridge after this.
Yeah, I was visiting about this on Twitter with someone, and they're hoping for a Dariusburst CS port on Switch. I could see if they're saving G Darius for a volume 2, to include with DB and DB:CS, and then a special edition might include a couple other oddities, like the Sagaia GB game, or something like that. They were also speculating about a Taito Memories collection, with G being on there, along with Elevator Action Returns and other games. I'd be down for that, if they started to include the Ray series as well. But it's still pretty bizarre that the limited edition is so horribly expensive.
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

Extra games only in the LE?

that reeks of fail everywhere
I've never heard of "main games" being absent from a regular version

in my mind LEs should be all about OSTs, books, memorabilia and other shit, not the game(s) themsel(ves)
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Given how many thousands of dollars Darius Alpha goes for, getting that alone for under $200 is something worth mentioning. Also, isn't that the game with Super Graphx compatibility (like adding three more frames of animation and an extra enemy sprite or something that totally doesn't justify the cost)? Will it contain a Super Graphx option or will that be behind a DLC paywall?

What the hell, I'll dump $170 on this LE nonsense.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I heard Darius Plus and Darius Alpha both have the Super Grafx compatibility. I know Darius Alpha is the rarity, but to me, Super Darius PCE CD and Darius Plus are the more interesting PCE games. I also like the GB b/w's Sagaia. More of a mini Darius, but quite fun.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

I don't get why G.Darius isn't in this, unless it could have something to do with that being Taito FX-1 (PlayStation) hardware.
Locking some games behind the LE price wall is really lame, but at least the RE has all the arcade titles up to Gaiden. It'd be nice to see this on the Xbox One & PS4 also.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

I think the reason some of the games are "locked behind the LE price wall" is that they require a second cart. Paying double for two carts vs one isn't asking that much of a consumer.

I do agree being forced to pay well over double and get all of the extras instead of just buying the two games is annoying. But $120 of that $160 is justified just in two cartridges.
Rupert H

Darius Cozmic Collection for Switch

Post by Rupert H »

DejahThoris wrote:I think the reason some of the games are "locked behind the LE price wall" is that they require a second cart. Paying double for two carts vs one isn't asking that much of a consumer.

I do agree being forced to pay well over double and get all of the extras instead of just buying the two games is annoying. But $120 of that $160 is justified just in two cartridges.
All of the games on that collection could fit on a 512MB USB flash drive. That is not the reason.
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

I never understood don't just print an extra card. Capcom pulled off that same shit when they released the two Resident Evil Revelations games to the Switch.
Rupert H

Post by Rupert H »

Still, the butt hurt I feel for the lack of PS4 version (I don’t want to have to buy a decent Switch joystick) is somewhat mitigated by the fact that M2 are handling the ports.

This means we can expect the first perfect conversion of Darius II (the 480i auto fire-free Taito Memories PS2 version doesn’t count, and the less said about the Saturn version’s hit detection, the better). We can also expect the first perfect conversion of Gaiden, as I expect them to offer sensible auto fire options that don’t utterly break the difficulty level.

Here’s hoping the interface is packed with the wealth of options we’ve enjoyed with the ShotTriggers series too.
KaizaCorp

Post by KaizaCorp »

Rupert H wrote:Still, the butt hurt I feel for the lack of PS4 version (I don’t want to have to buy a decent Switch joystick) is somewhat mitigated by the fact that M2 are handling the ports.

There are PS3/PS4 to Switch converters as well. Maybe not ideal, but certainly beats buying a whole stick just for one console. I've ordered mine and can update on it's performance (hopefully) soon.
CRP

Post by CRP »

.... collection is being ported by M2.
source https://gematsu.com/2018/07/ninja-warri ... for-switch
BIL

Post by BIL »

CRP wrote:.... collection is being ported by M2.
source https://gematsu.com/2018/07/ninja-warri ... for-switch
Fuck me, modern life's been okay lately.
Arcatech

Post by Arcatech »

Another vote to have this ported to PS4 since I don't have a Switch yet.

Would love it if Darius Gaiden Extra Version was included as part of this. Predicting it won't be though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=migorie15FM
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

“We decided that it would be necessary to release Taito’s IPs and technology on all platforms in order to increase profit in the future.”
On all platforms? Hopefully that may mean the Darius collection comes to other systems. I'm wondering if Switch's Ninja Warriors Again (tentative title) will be the SFC reboot, or a sequel.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

Rupert H wrote:
DejahThoris wrote:I think the reason some of the games are "locked behind the LE price wall" is that they require a second cart. Paying double for two carts vs one isn't asking that much of a consumer.

All of the games on that collection could fit on a 512MB USB flash drive. That is not the reason.
Didn't mean they couldn't fit on one cart. What I meant is that two carts justifies double the price of one cart. Because, you know, double the physical product.